PDA

View Full Version : Revcounter?

nudemetalz
2nd July 2008, 10:19
I'm looking at running a revcounter on Lady P (more for tuning and also the higher-speed tracks).
Any ideas on what i could utilise that is cheap? (ie not a $500 digital one !!)

The original mechanical point of the crankcase that the Honda pattern would have had for the Longchin has been filled over meaning only an electronic one can be used.

Ya see, I don't want to tangle my valves like a certain 150 "lead" twin did in ChCh....... :rolleyes:

nodrog
2nd July 2008, 10:47
something like this?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Other/auction-163636260.htm

nudemetalz
2nd July 2008, 10:56
yup like that, but able to read higher, ie about 11,000 - 11,500rpm.
Dunno if those 5" car ones will work.

nodrog
2nd July 2008, 11:04
yup like that, but able to read higher, ie about 11,000 - 11,500rpm.
Dunno if those 5" car ones will work.

i had a cheap tacho from repco years ago, it ran of the - side of the coil, it was switchable on the back for 1,2,4,6,8 cylinders, cant remember the brand but it was less than $100

nodrog
2nd July 2008, 11:09
will this work?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Engine-drive-train/auction-163743119.htm

nudemetalz
2nd July 2008, 11:14
That would do the trick, just depends on whether it can be read easily.
Looks rather small.

Thanks for your help.

koba
2nd July 2008, 13:00
You may be able to use one off a car or another bike.
If it has 4 cylinders and a dizzy and one coil and takes the pluse reading from the coil (LT) you would have to multiply the scale by 4. You could use a bit of cardboard to make a new scale...

koba
2nd July 2008, 13:05
Old cars don't rev that far either so you could get an old junk one and it would still be readable.

Example (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Vintage-parts/auction-163312161.htm)

nudemetalz
2nd July 2008, 13:11
I had also considered that. Just calibrate it with a dwell meter to get the accurate markings on the faceplate.

Was thinking that small one would bloody hard to read if it goes up and down in increments of 1 rpm !!!!

koba
2nd July 2008, 15:12
It is in hundreds, just an example anyway.
You obviously know what I mean, that one is also far to expensive!

nudemetalz
2nd July 2008, 15:56
hmmm,..I didn't think it was that badly priced.

Sully60
9th July 2008, 17:39
Ya see, I don't want to tangle my valves like a certain 150 "lead" twin did in ChCh....... :rolleyes:

:Oi::angry2::bash::spanking::girlfight:

The valves did not "tangle" as you've put it, Upon closer inspection it was actually due to fatigue as the other valves in that head started to do the same thing.

So my suggestion is once you get your revcounter rev the bike to where you think is enough and check the valves out. I know Fi5hy's one revs fairly high when he wants it to but past experience with GL engines would lead me to think this can only happen for so long.

You'll be needing some revs no too as there are a couple of FXR's in Welly now and they're being ridden fairly well and we can't have them winning here now can we?

Buddha#81
9th July 2008, 18:56
MotoFXR is the way of the future!

Skunk
9th July 2008, 19:00
MotoFXR is the way of the future!
Shutup you.

Morris 1300 GTs had a large electronic rev counter. Suit your eyes well I think. Should be cheap if you can find one. :killingme

bungbung
9th July 2008, 21:05
Haven't I already told you where the small electronic rev counter is for sale?

Mines mounted, wait for photo..

There, 52mm gauge, backlight, highest rpm memory, sequential shift lights.
Due to the lack of bits to make a reg/rectifier to bring 20V-70VAC to 12v, I'm using a 12V 1Ah battery pack from supercheap to run this.

Skunk
9th July 2008, 22:00

Due to the lack of bits to make a reg/rectifier to bring 20V-70VAC to 12v, I'm using a 12V 1Ah battery pack from supercheap to run this.
PM me with the details bungbung. I'll add it to my one day list.

nudemetalz
9th July 2008, 22:38

That's cool !!!!

I rang them and they no longer have them :(
They gave me a website in UK where I can good revcounters for about 2-300 euros !!! :shit:

:Oi::angry2::bash::spanking::girlfight:

The valves did not "tangle" as you've put it, Upon closer inspection it was actually due to fatigue as the other valves in that head started to do the same thing.

So my suggestion is once you get your revcounter rev the bike to where you think is enough and check the valves out. I know Fi5hy's one revs fairly high when he wants it to but past experience with GL engines would lead me to think this can only happen for so long.

You'll be needing some revs no too as there are a couple of FXR's in Welly now and they're being ridden fairly well and we can't have them winning here now can we?

ha ha ha, was awaiting your response !!!! :yes: :shifty:
Yes the FXR's and their power do concern me so that's why I'm going to think about some more hp for the Taupo GP and hence the revcounter.

Buddha#81
9th July 2008, 22:39

where ya get that from and how muchy?

Skunk
9th July 2008, 23:00
where ya get that from and how muchy?
Don't worry bungbung, I found them here in NZ. $125.

nudemetalz
9th July 2008, 23:06
Don't worry bungbung, I found them here in NZ. $125.

Really ?
Whereabouts, Skunk?

Skunk
9th July 2008, 23:19
Have a look in here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/group.php?groupid=13)...

bungbung
10th July 2008, 09:06
$65 from Motomart. It was a clearance item and there were two before I bought it....

nudemetalz
10th July 2008, 10:14
When I rang them they had none, hence my problem.
The link that Skunk gave has them double that price.

nudemetalz
21st July 2008, 20:39
ah hah,... !!!
Went to Motomart and bought the $65 Koso revcounter today, thanks to Bungbung.
All I have to do is learn how to read Chinese on the extensive instructions :crazy:

bungbung
21st July 2008, 21:13
PM me your email and I'll send you an english instruction.

nudemetalz
21st July 2008, 21:32
All got now thanks.

Ivan
22nd July 2008, 21:11
DO these work well I need a Gauge for my SV 650

nudemetalz
22nd July 2008, 22:55
I'll let you know.
I'm just making my dash at the present so haven't tested it properly yet.
But the blue and red backlighting looks awesome !!

bungbung
23rd July 2008, 08:27
DO these work well I need a Gauge for my SV 650

They work fine. They're pretty small (52mm), I'd be inclined to fit something a bit larger to your SV