PDA

View Full Version : Your ultimate racing hero

enigma51
2nd July 2008, 16:04
I was browsing motogp.com for some info and stumbled on the legends page which got me thinking.

What is your all time racing hero the one person you wanted to be when you where a child (or still want to be)

The rules are simple
Cant be a current racer unless its someone older than lets say 35 So Rossi does not count but Shaun Harris does. :p
No restriction on Class or type.
You have to give history of the rider

Mine is Kevin Swantz.
That man could ride (and crash) a bike like many can only dream about.

Here is some info taken from motogp.com

"The sole 500cc title earned in 1993 does not effectively summarise the impact that Texan Kevin Schwantz had on the motorcycle racing world championship. The Suzuki stalwart amassed a huge legion of fans around the world with his flamboyant all-action riding style and propensity for spectacular crashes as he chased victory at each Grand Prix as if each race were his last.

Schwantz entered the international stage after some stand-out results competing in his native superbike series. Loyal to Suzuki throughout his career he made his Grand Prix debut at Assen in 1986 and became a full-time member of the series in 1988, stamping his unique mark on the championship right away by winning the opening race at Suzuka in Japan.

The years of 1988 and 1989 saw Schwantz accumulate eight wins and 13 podiums, but also saw him suffer late falls (in Spain and Belgium) when in grasp of further success, lending weight to a reputation as superlative but inconsistent rider. He was nevertheless one of the main 500cc stars in a golden period which also features the likes of Eddie Lawson, Wayne Gardner, Mick Doohan and Wayne Rainey.

In the following four seasons Schwantz would regularly battle with recognised peers and develop the RGV500 with his distinctive natural talent. He finished runner-up in 1990 and it was around this time that his long-standing rivalry with Rainey.

The Americans tussled in a private duel over a three-year period with Schwantz taking victories at Assen and Hockenheim which riled his Yamaha foe. Rainey chalked up three titles but Schwantz was equally prominent, increasing his win tally to 19, with 21 podiums between 1990 and 1992.

Their personal relationship improved by the 1993 campaign and by this time Schwantz was adopting a more relaxed and steady approach to his results, Rainey-style, in order to obtain the crown that many felt was long overdue. Rainey’s career-ending accident at Misano, with two rounds remaining, left the door open for Schwantz but also essentially nullified the achievement for the then 29 year old.

The injury niggles and bone breaks – most significantly to his wrists – began to tell by the time of his title defence in 1994. He finished fourth and then tearfully announced his retirement a short way into the 1995 term."

007XX
2nd July 2008, 16:28
Nice thread...

Mine would have to be Burt Munroe, and he was way before I came in NZ or could even speak english.

My dad was a huge fan of his, so I guess I grew up with his efforts in mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burt_Munro

enigma51
2nd July 2008, 16:33
My "love" for swantz was that bad that as a child i would try and get my knee down on BMX and motox bike....... It always ended in tears!

Nordy
2nd July 2008, 16:41
Mine would be Mick Doohan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Doohan) the way he came back after nearly loosing is leg is awesome.

nodrog
2nd July 2008, 16:46
mine is Boomer.

2 years ago, he struggled with his sexuality and wobbled around on a Honda, now he has an adult sized motorcycle and makes that shit look good.

Barry Sheene would be my second pick.

enigma51
2nd July 2008, 16:49
mine is Boomer.

2 years ago, he struggled with his sexuality and wobbled around on a Honda, now he has an adult sized motorcycle and makes that shit look good.

Barry Sheene

"Barry Sheene MBE took two 500cc World Championships in 1976 and 1977, though by then his credentials as a racer were well established and he was already hugely popular off-track.

Fighting Angel Nieto for the 125cc title in 1971 and then winning the 500cc Dutch TT in 1975, toying with Giacomo Agostini just months after breaking his leg, collarbone, arm and two ribs in a high-speed spill at Daytona, had already earned Sheene legendary status. His Dutch triumph was the first of 19 wins and 40 podiums in the premier class over nine full seasons.

Sheene gathered numerous British titles and thrilled his army of fans with unforgettable races against Kenny Roberts in the late 1970s and early 80s. He was on-track for a third 500cc crown in 1982 (with five podiums from seven rounds) until the huge practice smash at Silverstone that battered both of his legs and drove his profile into the stratosphere.

He continued to race for two further seasons after that crash, taking his last podium with a brilliant third place ride in the wet at Kyalami in 1984 – a performance he rated as one of his best.

He remains the last British rider to win a 125cc Grand Prix (back in 1971), the last Briton to win a premier class race (the 300th, Sweden in 1981) and the UK’s last two-wheeled World Champion."

boomer
2nd July 2008, 17:55
mine is Boomer.

Oh ai Au.. i'm with you on both counts bro! :blush:

Being a POMMIE the last hero we had was Sheene.. it seems JT isn't quite cutting the mustard yet!

Zuki Bandit
2nd July 2008, 17:59
Shwatnz all the way. I remember as a kid wishing I was him. After watching him race I would jump on the shitty Raliegh 10 speed bicycle and pretend I was ripping up the racetrack (our back lawn).

svr
2nd July 2008, 19:24
Shwatnz all the way. I remember as a kid wishing I was him. After watching him race I would jump on the shitty Raliegh 10 speed bicycle and pretend I was ripping up the racetrack (our back lawn).

I'm surprised how many race fans rate Shwantz over Rainey - they were contemporaries and Rainey kicked his arse all career long. He was fast (he made 500 gp boring by winning so much), consistent, smart, and hardly ever crashed.

That said, Shwantzie shagged Gabriella Sabatini, so that probably tips things in his favour.

lostinflyz
2nd July 2008, 19:32
sheene for being a plain and simple bloody legend.

Raced Fast, Lived fast

and for Gas it Wanker pitboards

skidMark
2nd July 2008, 19:34
Me, just faster.

Why?...

...Why not?

merv
2nd July 2008, 19:40
Agostini always impressed me. People gave him shit for racing the "invincible" MVs saying he had it easy so two more world championships on Yamaha 2 strokes plus a Daytona 200 on the TZ on his first visit to the track was legendary in my view. Let alone of course his Isle of Man wins when GP champions had to risk their lives there as well as on the real race circuits.

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/hofbiopage.asp?id=112

Ivan
2nd July 2008, 21:22
Myne always was Aaron SLight

Firstever time I saw him ride I liked him

dino3310
2nd July 2008, 21:35
1st KIM NEWCOMBE
2nd BARRY SHEENE
3rd IVAN MAUGER

skidMark
2nd July 2008, 21:39
Myne always was Aaron SLight

Firstever time I saw him ride I liked him

Of course you did, he rode for honda afterall.

Marknz
2nd July 2008, 21:51
I'll be greedy and take two...

Barry Sheene and Wayne Gardner.

Maha
2nd July 2008, 22:00
I'll be greedy and take two...

Barry Sheene and Wayne Gardner.

They would me my two also.
But Sheene if I had to choose one only...:niceone:

owner
2nd July 2008, 22:05
Arron Slight for me to. He was/is fucken good and a KIWI! Wish he had of gone to GP

roadracingoldfart
2nd July 2008, 22:24
Wayne Rainey.
WHY ,
He was only just starting to stamp an authority on the 500s when he had the siliest of crashes that put him in a wheelchair.

He had shone so well in the AMA series, the Trans atlantic series, 250 GPs and the 500s.
If he was anything but American id pick he would have won the IOM as well as other champs.
He was amazing and rated by Alan Cathcart as the most talented rider in a premier class, echoed by Kenny Roberts and finally admitted at one time by Eddie Lawson.
Yupp he was a great rider and what happened to him was just a bitch.

# 2 pick for me would be a toss up of Doug Pollen or Frankie Chilli.(Go #7)

Paul.

Mort
2nd July 2008, 22:26
For me its Joey Dunlop - Awesome talent but didn't give a shite about money or fame - he just liked racing

CHOPPA
2nd July 2008, 23:41
Jeremy McGrath!! Go rent terrafirma 2, GOLD!

scrivy
3rd July 2008, 09:49
Schwantz all the way!! Not the best rider at the time, but the fastest and most spectacular!! :yes:

enigma51
3rd July 2008, 09:51
1st KIM NEWCOMBE
2nd BARRY SHEENE
3rd IVAN MAUGER

Give some bios on them so everyone can see why you like them

enigma51
3rd July 2008, 09:53
Wayne Rainey.
WHY ,
He was only just starting to stamp an authority on the 500s when he had the siliest of crashes that put him in a wheelchair.

He had shone so well in the AMA series, the Trans atlantic series, 250 GPs and the 500s.
If he was anything but American id pick he would have won the IOM as well as other champs.
He was amazing and rated by Alan Cathcart as the most talented rider in a premier class, echoed by Kenny Roberts and finally admitted at one time by Eddie Lawson.
Yupp he was a great rider and what happened to him was just a bitch.

# 2 pick for me would be a toss up of Doug Pollen or Frankie Chilli.(Go #7)

Paul.

I must agree Rainey is up there in the top list. I think Kevin status was built on the fact that Rainey was his rival

Mental Trousers
3rd July 2008, 11:22
Mike the Bike. After an 11 year hiatus (in New Zealand no less) during which time he didn't race any bikes he climbs straight onto a Ducati 900SS and wins the Isle of Man TT at age 38. Tragically killed (as was his daughter) by a truck doing an illegal turn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Hailwood

Joey Dunlop would be my 2nd choice. His fuck the money lets go race attitude rocks.

Crasherfromwayback
3rd July 2008, 12:09
Doohan. Hardest cunt ever.

Lawson. Meanest race face and a machine.

Rainey. No explanation needed.

ManDownUnder
3rd July 2008, 12:15
Not sure if it counts - but John Britten.

I think the guy did what so many only dream of, and enabled a number of racers at the same time. The book about his life (by Tim Hannah) is a good read.

Ivan
3rd July 2008, 12:16
Of course you did, he rode for honda afterall.

Not just for that he had a desire to be the best he coud be it was awsome to watch and hes a wairarapa boy to as well as being a cousin of myne:yes:

svr
3rd July 2008, 12:30
Doohan. Hardest cunt ever.

Lawson. Meanest race face and a machine.

Rainey. No explanation needed.

Great top 3
I saw a young Doohan get lapped by Rainey (sideways down the corkscrew...) at Laguna Seca in his first season and the yank fans making noises about the young aussie not having what it takes! Gotta smile now.
Good to see Awesome Lawson get a mention - textbook rider - the purists choice.

Crasherfromwayback
3rd July 2008, 12:35
Great top 3
I saw a young Doohan get lapped by Rainey (sideways down the corkscrew...) at Laguna Seca in his first season and the yank fans making noises about the young aussie not having what it takes! Gotta smile now.
Good to see Awesome Lawson get a mention - textbook rider - the purists choice.

Cheers! Lawson won on Kawasakis, Yamahas, Hondas then a fucking Cagiva!

Hard to top that! They say he was like a computer as far as set up went!

martybabe
3rd July 2008, 12:37
Easy for me, Kenny Roberts snr, I remember being fiercely brand loyal at the time ( Yamaha) and sheene was in a class of one on his Suzuki. Much as I admired sheene I always like an underdog so I had a bet with my mates that the first decent rider on a Yam would end Sheene and Suzukis dominance.

I cleaned up and so did Yamaha, when the rookie from yankland appeared. I think he won 3 world titles in the end but for me the best thing was that it was a Yamaha, it was really eye catching in the Yellow colour scheme amongst so many ordinary bikes.

The best race was the Brit gp at Silverstone 1979 an epic battle with Roberts out gunning Sheene and winning by half a wheel. :first:

enjoy this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70FPdFMMgLk#

Brian d marge
3rd July 2008, 12:39
Craig Shirriff ( sp ) , nailed coming onto the straight at Paeroa , an inch more and it would have been interesting ...

Should be in Moto gp

Stephen

svr
3rd July 2008, 12:42
Easy for me, Kenny Roberts snr, I remember being fiercely brand loyal at the time ( Yamaha) and sheene was in a class of one on his Suzuki. Much as I admired sheene I always like an underdog so I had a bet with my mates that the first decent rider on a Yam would end Sheene and Suzukis dominance.

I cleaned up and so did Yamaha, when the rookie from yankland appeared. I think he won 3 world titles in the end but for me the best thing was that it was a Yamaha, it was really eye catching in the Yellow colour scheme amongst so many ordinary bikes.

The best race was the Brit gp at Silverstone 197? an epic battle with Roberts out gunning Sheene and winning by half a wheel. :first:

Beating Sheene made him famous - beating Spencer proved he was God.

forkoil
3rd July 2008, 12:42
Jarno Saarinen, more or less pioneered modern hanging off riding style, tragically killed in crash with Pasolini Monza 1973...
extract from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarno_Saarinen
Early in Saarinen's career he won the Finnish ice track racing championship. Saarinen was also an accomplished motorcycle speedway racer. He had studied mechanical engineering and thus could modify his bike in addition to riding it. For example, in order for him to ride using his "hang-off" style, he lowered the handle bars and angled them downwards at an extreme angle. He learned this from his previous experience as an ice racer which allowed him to develop a new riding style. Saarinen was the first to ride corners with his body hanging off the bike and with his knee on the ground. Kenny Roberts would later perfect the style after watching Saarinen race. The style is predominantly still in use today.

Crasherfromwayback
3rd July 2008, 12:51

I'd have to say Spencer winning both the 250 and 500 titles in the same year was an amazing (and never again repeated) feat!!

martybabe
3rd July 2008, 12:55

True true, not the biggest in personality, stature, or popularity but he always rode like every race was the most important race of all time. Big ups King Kenny.

forkoil
3rd July 2008, 13:02
True true, not the biggest in personality, stature, or popularity but he always rode like every race was the most important race of all time. Big ups King Kenny.
Pioneered steering with back wheel, from his flat tracking background

HenryDorsetCase
3rd July 2008, 13:13
I'd have to say Spencer winning both the 250 and 500 titles in the same year was an amazing (and never again repeated) feat!!

although a few people had done the 250/350 double before (Geoff Duke, Hailwood of course). But props to Spencer: he was the first and probably only able to do it in the modern era.

Mine is Hailwood. Stylish, fast, reced everything and won everything then retired and came back and won. twice.

or Spencer, particularly his first championship in 1983 (on a V3 vs the V4's) and pioneering pushing the front. (though all the dirt trackers did that).

absolutely sublime.

firefighter
3rd July 2008, 13:26
Burt Munroe and Aaron Slight

robnz
3rd July 2008, 13:34
mine is Will Hartog, one of only 2 dutch riders to win the Dutch TT. Second is Barry Sheene, the man liked his crumpet

enigma51
3rd July 2008, 13:41
I must say i do like reading each persons heros.
I dont agree with all the selections but as soon as you read why its "yip thats is cool"

I never liked Roberts snr for example but you have to take your hat off to the guy and go yip his a legend.

Its funny but neither Mamola or Kazinsky has appeared :)

enigma51
3rd July 2008, 13:46
mine is Will Hartog, one of only 2 dutch riders to win the Dutch TT. Second is Barry Sheene, the man liked his crumpet

Thats a name i havent heard in years he was one of my uncles favourites. According to him its was one of those riders that just needed a better machine to be number1

Sheen was one of those riders who said it like it was!

PIC
GP racer Will Hartog at the 1979 Le Mans 500 GP.

Kornholio
3rd July 2008, 13:51
Im surprised no-one has mentioned Graeme Crosby.... remember watching him on tele when I was a kid and then used to go out and ride my bike til it was broken or I was...always remember him doing massive wheelies on the old GSX1100 and Z900's he also races against Kenny R snr and co.... also not a racer but Evel Kneivel, that accounted for a few doctors trips and broken frames on my BMX and later the farm bike :D

slofox
3rd July 2008, 13:57
I have two - one from NZ other a Brit

NZ - Hugh Anderson - simply for the fact of the elegance he displayed when riding - no knees sticking out all over for him - totally at one with the machine.

Brit - Mike Hailwood - could race anything from bikes to cars and probably sky rockets as well if he had wanted to. Read his book - "The Art of Motorcycle Racing" - learned lots from that.

White trash
3rd July 2008, 14:29
Scott Russel.

Far from the most winning rider of all time although he enjoyed awesome success at Daytona. For me it was when he signed with Harley Davidson to race the horrible VR1000. After particularly shitty practice and qualifying times at Daytona on the mutt, he headed into town the night before the race, found a rough sort of bar and started a full on pub brawl. Spent the Daytona 200 in hospital having his face reconstructed.

Seem to remember him coming from about the fourth row in a WSBK race (one of his last) to lead the race. When black flagged for a jump start, he just went nuts in terms of speed, ignoring the black flag till he biffed it in spectacular texan style.

Yup, he's one cool mutha.

enigma51
3rd July 2008, 14:39
Scott Russel.

Far from the most winning rider of all time although he enjoyed awesome success at Daytona. For me it was when he signed with Harley Davidson to race the horrible VR1000. After particularly shitty practice and qualifying times at Daytona on the mutt, he headed into town the night before the race, found a rough sort of bar and started a full on pub brawl. Spent the Daytona 200 in hospital having his face reconstructed.

Seem to remember him coming from about the fourth row in a WSBK race (one of his last) to lead the race. When black flagged for a jump start, he just went nuts in terms of speed, ignoring the black flag till he biffed it in spectacular texan style.

Those texans are angry people

I remeber a similiar incident with Kevin
He fell off going way to fast into a corner and when the marshall wanted to stop him from joining the race he knocked him out jumped back on the bike got blacked flag but kept racing I cant remember where he finished. Will go have a look see if i can find the full story or maybe a vid.

Kornholio
3rd July 2008, 14:41
Scott Russel.

Fuck yeah I remember that, that was outstanding :sunny:

MIXONE
3rd July 2008, 14:58
One.Mike Hailwood.No explanation needed.
Two.Croz.Watching him drift the big kwaka through the hairpin at Puke was a sight never to be forgotten.

HenryDorsetCase
3rd July 2008, 15:44
I must say i do like reading each persons heros.
I dont agree with all the selections but as soon as you read why its "yip thats is cool"

I never liked Roberts snr for example but you have to take your hat off to the guy and go yip his a legend.

Its funny but neither Mamola or Kazinsky has appeared :)

Ive got a Cycle mag at home with an article about a visit to Kenny's ranch outside Modesto: He used to run training schools for "up and comers": you know, your Raineys, Schwantz Lawsons etc. a 1/4 mile dirt track oval in the front yard, and they used to race XR100s on it. After they finished for the day, they have a few beers to unwind then decide to water the track. So they end up drifting the water truck round the track, closely followed by their cars. It sounded like fun, and they sounded like a fun bunch. Ive wanted a property with a front lawn big enough for a 1/4 mile dirt track oval ever since. :)

HenryDorsetCase
3rd July 2008, 15:46
Fuck yeah I remember that, that was outstanding :sunny:

Scott Russell is back doing it agian too: he is all over Performance Bikes and was pictured in CW recently.

HenryDorsetCase
3rd July 2008, 15:47
Kocinsky has a reputation for being "difficult" doesnt he?

by difficult we mean insane in the membrane.............

enigma51
3rd July 2008, 15:51

Aaron writes in his book that Kocisnky use to shake his pants out 7 times or something

enigma51
3rd July 2008, 17:01
Well if i cant get past you on the inside i will do it round the outside ....... on the brakes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtXI6Tjeiuc

svr
3rd July 2008, 17:30

Kocinski got 3rd in his first ever 500gp (at spa in the wet...) beating gardner, lawson and a few others... - I think he was 21. He was good for a quote too - "all those 250 guys are just a bunch of pussies" etc...
I heard he retired because no top teams would work with him anymore - either gp or sbk. In terms of sheer rude talent he was at the Rossi / Spencer level. Flawed genius with a `problem inside his helmet'.
He invested his winnings in property and is obscenely rich now.

Robert Taylor
3rd July 2008, 18:20
Troy Baylis and Noriyuki Haga because their never say die attitude is the ''dogs borrocks''. And both are very pleasant people to talk to, ordinary everyday people.

roogazza
3rd July 2008, 18:51
One.Mike Hailwood.No explanation needed.
Two.Croz.Watching him drift the big kwaka through the hairpin at Puke was a sight never to be forgotten.

Two of the best those two !
I was watching sky sport late last night and Karcher Pitlane came on. One of the guests none other than Crosby himself, he's still a very modest, funny guy. Laughed and said he couldn't ride for nuts now ! Gaz.

wharfy
9th July 2008, 18:13
Mike Hailwood - 'Cause he was "Mike the Bike" (you picked him or "Ago" :-)
Ivan Mauger - 7 TIMES world champ !!! ( I only saw him race once )
Hugh Anderson - 4 TIMES world champ !! (local boy makes good)
Ginger Molly - second to Agostini and still races (another local boy - I grew up in Huntly - His bike shop in Hamilton had heaps of trophies and a couple of Kwaka race bikes. I remember being so impressed with the massive twin double leading shoe drum brakes - the spokes were only about 3 inches long !! :-)
Graeme Crosby - I saw him race around the streets in Wellington (Porirua) - he was outrageous and his leathers had a big dick on them ( he was sponsored by Shaft Motorcycles :-)
Dr. Roger Freeth - He was one of the "Big boys" at the first road race meeting I ever entered ( I was on a Suzuki TM125 with road tyres a "motard" before they had a name :-)

Any Kiwi who has raced at the IOM TT - 'specially the ones who rode Brittens (Shaun Harris, Andrew stroud etc.)

You can tell I'm an old bugger and a fan of Kiwi racers :-)

scrivy
10th July 2008, 13:48
Well if i cant get past you on the inside i will do it round the outside ....... on the brakes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtXI6Tjeiuc

Dude..... Kevin IS the man!!!

Seen anyone else do that number? (or the outbraking manouvre at Hockenheim?)

slowpoke
19th July 2008, 08:43
Hmmm, I've got plenty of latter day heroes but to a youngster peering wide eyed around the hay bales at Wanganui and Paritutu I thought Dave Hiscock was an absolute God.