PDA

View Full Version : Sidecar riders?

Lee Rusty
29th August 2003, 12:03
Apart from myself and Motu are there any sidecar riders lurking here.

Sidecar riders love their bit on the side.

Motu
29th August 2003, 18:03
I haven't got an outfit at the moment Lee,but it's on my list at the moment.There are a couple at Mt Eden M/C,but not what I want - the wheels are too small for the gravel roads I ride.

You know about the VW/Ural we have both owned - I also had the first JB child adult ...put it on my featherbed Norton :o

Have you seen Ian Cottrells racing BSA outfit - that was my first sidecar - street use!!!! It's been changed since I had it,it's now a full kneeler - but it was one hell of a sidecar to learn on.

Kiwi
29th August 2003, 19:44
yep

Lee Rusty
29th August 2003, 20:43
Hey thats a nice looking outfit - right hung so I guess you brought it into NZ - I have just checked out your website as well - got to say I had not heard of your business until now, looks like you have some interesting items.

Kiwi
29th August 2003, 22:16
Thanks mate

Have a look at AMPS - there is an Aprilia RSV R on display I put some stuff on

See ya

Kiwi

:done:

bikerboy
30th August 2003, 10:41
You'll soon be able to see Kiwi's handy work on my bike!:D

Simon Haszard
10th March 2004, 17:19
Heh I know it's old but i'm new to the scene and just saw it. Yep i'm into sidecars, but only of the racing variety :)

Motu did that outfit belong to Bernie at one stage? I'm a lil confused!

Anyway heres the outfit Lyndsay and I ride.
'62 650cc Triumph.

laRIKin
10th March 2004, 18:41
I use to race sidecars, about 13 years ago.
But when we got down to only 2 chairs, in Christchurch (Use to have 6),
and later that year my swinger and I, were made redundant, we had to stop.
He got married, so was saving for a house, so that was the end for him.

I have been asked to race chairs again, and said that I would.
IF and only IF there was 5 other chairs to race with.
There is 4 chairs down here that I know of, but they are owned by two people. And they don't race at a normal meeting, that I know of. They only
race, I think in the north island.
I did swing for one rig, at a meeting down here, so they must run now and
again, as a demo?

Pity I really liked racing chairs.

Is Mo still kicking around?

Kickaha
10th March 2004, 19:59
There is 4 chairs down here that I know of, but they are owned by two people. And they don't race at a normal meeting, that I know of. They only
race, I think in the north island.
I did swing for one rig, at a meeting down here, so they must run now and
again, as a demo?

The only crews to race in the North Island lately was Me and Phil Garret three years ago and I think Bill and Paul the year before at National rounds.

For the past three years we have had up to 7 and normally 5-6 on the Grid both at Ruapuna and Levels,and run both King of Ruapuna,King of Canterbury and King of Levels championships,and also the national rounds so you can't have been to many meetings in that time,although this last season was particulary bad for breakdowns etc.

Currently there are three outfits owned by Colin Hooper,Three by Bill Newton(one for sale),one by Phil Garret(also for sale as he builds a new one) and one by Peter and Gary Macefield(about to get a R1 transplant) and I have a chassis arriving this month which me and another guy will be building up to run as well and the more we get the more people get interested.

Wouldn't mind trying a road going outfit,I remeber Lee's from the Rakuria Sunset Rally!

laRIKin
10th March 2004, 21:01
Last time I was at the track, and talked to the sidecar boys (CH.CH)
Colin Hooper (use to live over the back fence) had two.
And the Newtons had two.
So now that I think about it, I haven't been to Ruapuna for awhile, shit time flys.

It's good to hear that sidecar's are taking off again.

Motu
10th March 2004, 21:06
Motu did that outfit belong to Bernie at one stage? I'm a lil confused!

Was Bernie a mate of Ian's back then? if so,then yes I sold it to him.He used to come around every few months and I would take him for a thrash around Titirangi streets - he was kinda hooked bad and offered me a price I couldn't refuse.Ian cotterel had a kneeler Triumph at that stage and we wanted to race them at the Classics,but they wouldn't let us - oh,we don't have a class for side cars!

I found it on a farm in Hunua,$175,made for an A10,but of course they were all blown up by that stage,so I fitted that 72 A65 into it,tossed the exhaust tube race chair and made a box section one.It had a bread box Trident tank and a bikini fairing, 16in wheels with sidecar racing rubber - it was my first side car....no point in starting at the bottom eh?

Simon Haszard
11th March 2004, 03:28
Not sure about the modern's, as I'm part of the NZCMRR - but the classics are seeing upwards of 15 outfits of late. Some have been coming in from Aussie and the Etheridges have made a couple of trips out from the UK as well (for the Feb meetings anyway).

I'll have to look back and find out what Ian and Dave are racing these days... Is a bigger oufit now I think! But that is one helluva machine I know :) John and Audrey Anderson are the current fastest out there (mum and dad in law), on a 850 commando rig John built.

I think even Manfield saw 9 units, and we're trying to get to a stage where we have at least 10 or more for every championship meeting in the Nth Island for the register.

Seems to be on the increase, moderns included, as there were definitely a few out there for Paeroa as well.

LB
11th March 2004, 05:08
Does anyone remember back in the late-ish '70's when Bill Buckley (now of BSL fame) chucked a jerry-built chair on his Vincent to race in classic sidecars? The rumour at the time (well, that I heard anyway, though I was of course still at kindy....) was that the Classic register wouldn't let him race it as a solo cos he was a bit scruffy and different from the rest of them. So he thumbed his nose at them and raced it as an outfit. I always liked him, and I was chuffed to see what he'd done with the BSL (I'd lost touch for years with what he was up to till the BSL was released).

Indiana_Jones
12th March 2004, 23:36
Nope I don't have one, but they are cool
I have a model of a BMW R75 sidecar (world war two that is :D)

-Indy

pete376403
13th March 2004, 22:33
One of those BMW outfits, complete with Spandau, would be just the ticket for dealing with errant cagers :yes:

GuzziPom
9th February 2008, 17:24
Hi Lee, got a guzzi combo sitting in garage that i cant get a Statement of compliance for :weep: if anyone can help me or know someone who can please help, unfortuanelty i have spoken to several ppl, dealers etc and know one has been able to help

Ixion
9th February 2008, 18:12
There was an EXTREMELY tasty Renfield combo at the classic races today. A new one . Sports chair. Blue. Pretty. Me want.

I miffled about with sidecars once upon a time. Fun.

GW, why you need a compliance ? Side car doesn't need compliance and attaching it doesn't either. Unless they've changed the rules. Another of those bloody things that have sneaked through in the last thirty years while I was distracted I suppose. Orere Point sealed, plastic floats, sidecars , what next , is there no end ot the devilry.

GuzziPom
9th February 2008, 18:55
Apparently the laws changed middle of last year (according to VTNZ). to get the bike registered i need a statement of compliance to show what standards the bike has been made to and then a class 2 certificate which i think is to show that the bike / brakes are capable of having the sidecar added. (even though the bike has been pulling the sidecar about for the last 10 years).the bike is 1995 and for some reason on my v5 from the uk it doesnt state any of these.

Yes they are brilliant fun but not in traffic :-)

was you at Pukekohe, today?

just found this so maybe I will be on the phone on Monday

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/publications/infosheets/infosheet-2-13-europe.html#lc

Ixion
9th February 2008, 19:52
So, take the chair off. Sidecars don't have separate rego (or WoF) in NZ.

Take the solo bike and get it rego'ed. Go home, refit sidecar. Sorted.

EDIT: Yes, I was at Puke. And no, in traffic you end up with the worst of worlds - can't lane split, and no weather protection. They do attract chicks, though.

BIHB@0610
9th February 2008, 20:12
Is Mo still kicking around?

Yes, Mo is still kicking around. He was at Cemetary Circuit last December, and he was down at Levels for the 2nd round of the nationals three weeks ago. He's an amazing man by all accounts (I've not spoken with him at length - it was my first time meeting him at Wanganui).

GuzziPom
9th February 2008, 20:12
lol, not just as easy as taking chair off, got to do forks as well as got leading links on , but may have to do this in end cheers for your help. think i need to get the bike sprayed in red bulls colours :-)

sidecar bob
11th February 2008, 20:09
I have the BMW 1000 classic (pre '76) ex Bernie Smith outfit that got its first run under me at The classic festival, With Chris Lawrence & i sharing the duties.
I also passenger Andy Scrivener on the Hayabusa powered outfit.
Theres a few other chairists lurking in here, some more active than others.

Atlas
18th February 2008, 18:14
For those who saw Ian and Davids accident on the Vincent outfit on Sunday in the wet; a 720 spin, then heavily into the outfield armco and flipped between the pitlane exit and the brow of the hill. Dave is expected to recover albeit after an estimated hospital stay of 10 weeks.

Hope the beemer engine rebuild isnt too painful, will be good to see it with a happy motor!

McDuck
20th February 2008, 21:59
I saw a real nice motoguzzi sidecar outfit today...