PDA

View Full Version : Change in method perhaps?

Tank
3rd July 2008, 15:54
After reading all the press today about trucks taking a huge stand against the road user taxes - it got me thinking.

What if Bikers changed the protest ride methods?

In place of a charity / CC campaign ride - get several hundred bikers blocking motorways, city main streets, on-ramps etc just like the trucks are. (Police are even recommending people consider taking a long weekend to avoid it)

It would cause an uproar, a lot more press, and who knows - if it was done every week for 3 - 4 weeks parliament would have to say something due to the economic impact this would have on people.

If the police cracked down on it - 'we' could say bikers were being harassed because the police did nothing about the truckers - and indeed MP's and Auckland Mayor have come out in support of it?

So - Whatdaya think?

Toaster
3rd July 2008, 16:02
I like it...

... if only I had my bike! Maybe we could get one of those mobile coffee vans to come around and serve coffee to the boys and girls while we are at it protesting about the ridiculous petrol prices and the OCR (official cash rate) staying way too high for too long.

They should build us a biker lane on the motorway so we can whip by all the cars and trucks so we can get to work faster and safer.

MSTRS
3rd July 2008, 16:22
They should build us a biker lane on the motorway so we can whip by all the cars and trucks so we can get to work faster and safer.

Careful...you know what they'd line it with....

enigma51
3rd July 2008, 16:30
How about we just join the truckies and maybe next time we want to make a statement they would return the favour

Tank
3rd July 2008, 16:36
How about we just join the truckies and maybe next time we want to make a statement they would return the favour

That wont work - they would appreciate the support - but their trucks are their living and they wont take them off the road to campaign for something that dosn't impact them.

And its strange bikes supporting their protest in any terms other than moral - because road user charges dont impact bikes. Apart from the occasional diesel models.

jafar
3rd July 2008, 16:38
I like it...

... if only I had my bike! Maybe we could get one of those mobile coffee vans to come around and serve coffee to the boys and girls while we are at it protesting about the ridiculous petrol prices and the OCR (official cash rate) staying way too high for too long.

Careful...you know what they'd line it with....

You two do know how to say that your post is a piss take don't you :devil2::niceone:

p/t

MSTRS
3rd July 2008, 18:25
Welcome back Jafar. You're just in time too. It's gunna get interesting...

The Stranger
3rd July 2008, 18:28
I like it...

... if only I had my bike!

If you had your bike you could go in the truck protest.

duckonin
3rd July 2008, 18:36
Yep thats the ticket 500 bikes does a lot of blocking now 1000 does a lot more but all of those on Kiwi bikers site does even more, Ha but would most have a day off to endure what may happen!!!! :whistle:

Toaster
3rd July 2008, 19:11
If you had your bike you could go in the truck protest.

Nice one mate, I'd bling you again if I could hehehehe!

Griffin
4th July 2008, 07:10
The problem is that a frustrated and angry cager being made to be late for work probly wouldnt think twice about taking on a motorbike in a bumper nudge contest... Thats where Truckies have size on their side. On the roads size = respect. We just aint big enough to be respected. :argh:

Finn
4th July 2008, 07:24
I got a better idea. Don't vote Labour next election.

yod
4th July 2008, 08:11
:rofl:

yeah...National will be miles better.....

:killingme

Mom
4th July 2008, 08:17
That wont work - they would appreciate the support - but their trucks are their living and they wont take them off the road to campaign for something that dosn't impact them.

Ah but see, these barriers do impact (apologies for the appalling pun)truckies too mate. These WRB's do not actually stop strucks, they go clean over them. The day after Daniel Evans was killed a truck went over the barrier not far from where the accident was, it took out 2 cars as it careered accross the northbound lanes of the motorway and came to rest against a tree. The motorway was closed for 2 hours or more clearing up the mess. It put innocent people in hospital, it prevented others from getting to work on time affecting heaven only knows how many businesses.

Patch
4th July 2008, 09:26
Ah but see, these barriers do impact (apologies for the appalling pun)truckies too mate. These WRB's do not actually stop strucks, they go clean over them.
over??? try through the barrier and anything else in the way.

RUC's will impact us, not just for our bikes Mr. Tank. How the fuck do you think shit gets in the shops eh??

There are more truckies who ride bikes than there are politicans who tell the truth.

Usarka
4th July 2008, 09:58
I'd suspect bikers blocking motorways would get less support from the public than what the truckies are getting......

MSTRS
4th July 2008, 10:34
I'd suspect bikers blocking motorways would get less support from the public than what the truckies are getting......

When a protest is well publicised, and the reason is 'cost', then the common man can relate. Can they not relate to the cost in terms of life/limb where a barrier strike is concerned?

firefighter
4th July 2008, 10:40
The problem is that a frustrated and angry cager being made to be late for work probly wouldnt think twice about taking on a motorbike in a bumper nudge contest... Thats where Truckies have size on their side. On the roads size = respect. We just aint big enough to be respected. :argh:

erm, if that happened i'm sure that said cager would have every biker in sight making them regret it for quite some time, i'd say the cagers would be VERY intimidated by all the bikes.....

madandy
4th July 2008, 11:09
Blocking roads with motorcycles risks creating a larger point of difference with the masses than already exists.
If a large group of motorcyclists were to say, block the entrances to the Beehive we might get some strong public support.

the pollies would then be forced to stand outside in the open and be viewed and judged by all

MSTRS
4th July 2008, 12:01
erm, if that happened i'm sure that said cager would have every biker in sight making them regret it for quite some time, i'd say the cagers would be VERY intimidated by all the bikes.....

I think his point is that whilst the point may be safely made in numbers, it is in the days/weeks after that dickheads will have opportunity to target bikers who will not always be surrounded by others?

unrealone
4th July 2008, 13:10
I think his point is that whilst the point may be safely made in numbers, it is in the days/weeks after that dickheads will have opportunity to target bikers who will not always be surrounded by others?

I understand that many cagers don't have the respect for bikes that they should but isn't it a bit far to say that some would go out of their way to purposely take out a motorcyclist possibly causing death??

I fully agree that some would feel angry at the protests and may have a thought when said motorcyclist passes them a week later, but I don't believe this country and its people have quite come to the point of the above mentioned actions.

It's a sad thought.

Usarka
4th July 2008, 13:16
When a protest is well publicised, and the reason is 'cost', then the common man can relate. Can they not relate to the cost in terms of life/limb where a barrier strike is concerned?

97% of the population can relate to issues of cost. Most people can't even comprehend motorcycles or the people that ride them let alone relate to them.....

while i understand i appear that way today (:innocent:) i'm not trying to be negative and i'd be very happy to be proven wrong. I just think it would be careless to assume it would be as easy for us....

I fully agree that some would feel angry at the protests and may have a thought when said motorcyclist passes them a week later, but I don't believe this country and its people have quite come to the point of the above mentioned actions.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=76986

unrealone
4th July 2008, 13:18
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=76986

Bummer >.<, I haven't been on me toes in reading KB lately. :(!

sunhuntin
4th July 2008, 13:21
a grand idea in theory. but, i dont think it would work. we would basically need every single bike in the country to attend, and we would all have to be centered in one place. theres simply not enough bikes to be able to block main centers at the same time like the trucks did.

public support for the trucks is huge... theres hundreds of threads on trademe about it. i think that public support for a bike based protest wouldnt be as big. it would be the opposite in fact.

however, if it did happen, id be happy to help out. ive finally got another job, so will be able to afford gas.

mowgli
4th July 2008, 13:50
Two points.
1) WRB are unsafe to some degree for all road users. Whether they are the one going over/under/through the barrier or meeting the poor sod on the othe side head on. I don't know many bikers who don't also own cages. Why not make it cars and bikes? He rides, she drives or the other way round.
2) Can you imagine 200+ bikers converging on the Auckland motorways without some idiot making us all look bad?

MSTRS
4th July 2008, 13:56
Two points.
1) WRB are unsafe to some degree for all road users. Whether they are the one going over/under/through the barrier or meeting the poor sod on the othe side head on. I don't know many bikers who don't also own cages. Why not make it cars and bikes? He rides, she drives or the other way round.
2) Can you imagine 200+ bikers converging on the Auckland motorways without some idiot making us all look bad?

I can imagine 1000's. Every chance there'll be an idiot. Either showing us his clit (many of which are likely to be bigger anyway) for his ego-driven jollies, or paid by a cameraman as seems likely happened in Dunedin. Said idiot(s) need to be shut down on the spot.
I can also see how getting car drivers involved would be a good thing. After all, how many sign the petition when they see the Falcooon

Murray
4th July 2008, 14:12
While I see it being a good way to protest, I do not believe it will gain the support the truckies got (95% of polled in favour). Problem being that the increase in Truckie charges will affect everyone, everywhere through increased costs and inflation. Bikers protesting against cc's will not impress the public as the majority do not believe it affects them in anyway!!!

Skyryder
4th July 2008, 23:24
The public has given the 'truckers' support as this is in direct opposition to the Govt increase in road charges, I doubt very much that bikers could get the same kind of support from the public in respect of wire barriers. Still think the best bet is a national rally outside Parliment for this. Needs to be a big one.

Skyryder

jafar
10th July 2008, 17:17
Welcome back Jafar. You're just in time too. It's gunna get interesting...

Thanks mate. Waddya mean GOING to get interesting ?:confused:

Katman
10th July 2008, 19:48
I can imagine 1000's.

Delusions of grandeur?

Mom
10th July 2008, 19:59
Delusions of grandeur?

These comments are the sort of thing that I refer to as you trolling.

It seriously is pathetic mate.

Please try really hard not to attempt bring the shit fight you missed out starting on your last WRB thread here. That thread is testimony to how a reasoned debate can be held without anyone responding to blatently inflammatory posts.

Bit disappointed to see you try in here to, just as I was thinking you were not shit stirring, I find this.

Katman
10th July 2008, 20:03
These comments are the sort of thing that I refer to as you trolling.

It seriously is pathetic mate.

Please try really hard not to attempt bring the shit fight you missed out starting on your last WRB thread here. That thread is testimony to how a reasoned debate can be held without anyone responding to blatently inflammatory posts.

Bit disappointed to see you try in here to, just as I was thinking you were not shit stirring, I find this.

Just trying to keep you grounded in reality.

Mom
10th July 2008, 20:05

Pleased you did really. Thanks for that. You must love the one step forward three steps back mentality! Good for you.

Sanx
22nd July 2008, 00:42

You should try it yourself sometime.