PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted Speedo reset on 2006 Husqvarna 610sm.

Mikkel
4th July 2008, 10:52
Since the ride on the 28th I've had an issue with my Husky. Everynow-and-again when I go out to start it up the digital speedo first fails to initialise (it comes alive but there are no digitsand no functions are working) and then eventually it initialises itself (shows 0 km/h, etc.), but have reset itself in process (max speed, clock, avg. speed are all zero - only trip and odo is retained).

The 28th was a damp day to say the least... furthermore I managed to knee my rear-left indicator, which subsequently got torn to bit by dangling in front of the exhaust. When I switched it with the front left indicator the same evening I noticed that one of the fuses was lacking it's cover and as such would be exposed to the elements. Therefore I covered it with a plastic bag and zip-tied it tight to keep water away from it. I also took the wire from the dead indicator and used it to plug the indicator connectors up front...

Now, as I see it, there are two possible ways an error could have been introduced into the electrical system:
1) Shorting of the indicator assembly.
2) Water in the 10 amp fuse.

I can't see how any of this should mess with the digital speedo-meter to be honest. But something is certainly amiss. Or is this just the infamous Italian electrics?

Anyone who's got an idea?

BOGAR
4th July 2008, 11:23
Sounds like the speedo is loosing power (when you switch the bike off??) or the battery inside to hold the memory is gone flat (I am only assuming there is a battery inside). My bike does the same thing if i disconnect the battery for a while.
Not much help but its all I've got.

Mikkel
4th July 2008, 11:40
Hmmm, the battery does not seem to be lacking power though - the bike starts easy enough.

I'm wondering if something else could cause the connection to fail. I think I shall have to inspect the 10 amp fuse connectors for any signs of corrosion. I don't know how long the cap may have been gone for.

FilthyLuka
4th July 2008, 13:05
Hmmm, the battery does not seem to be lacking power though - the bike starts easy enough.

Is there a wee battery actually in the speedo itself for memory?

vifferman
4th July 2008, 13:19
I thought there was an EPROM or whatever, not a battery.
My electronic implements don't have one.
And the bastidz reset themselves every coupla weeks (but that's because my bike battery is SOOOOOO old.)

ManDownUnder
4th July 2008, 13:20
No idea but I suggest you have a feeble attempt at fixing it every 25,000kms or so, and find an alternative to fool the inspector at WOF time...

Mikkel
4th July 2008, 13:22
Is there a wee battery actually in the speedo itself for memory?

I don't know - I haven't taken the unit apart.

I'd imagine that it'll have a small solid state memory unit to store Odo, trip and some of the variables that you can set (such as wheel size and service intervals) - while the dynamic values are kept in memory by the battery itself.
As such I don't think they would have bothered with a small back-up battery since it would be yet another thing to take into account.

I don't think it's the digital speedo box that is the issue - something in the electrics more likely. Would a short be able to set off a relay that would disconnect the battery or something along those lines?

vifferman
4th July 2008, 13:29
Would a short be able to set off a relay that would
disconnect the battery or something along those lines?
I reckon.
Mine reset when I thumb the starter and the voltage dips below "some critical value", so I could see that a short could do the same.
Same thing, innit? Electrons misbehaving and not doing what they should.

Mikkel
4th July 2008, 13:34
Same thing, innit? Electrons misbehaving and not doing what they should.

Fuck if I know - they're too small for me to see... ;)