PDA

View Full Version : Traction control questions...

BASS-TREBLE
5th July 2008, 10:53
Just reading a few articles on the web about sports bikes with traction control and it got me thinking..

I know that front and rear wheel speeds are compared with sensors, which are the same as the ABS sensors I believe and that the spark is retarded if slip is noticed (I think).

Say you take the 1098 R and it gives you traction control from level 1 to 8 (from memory out of Bike Rider) with 8 having least slip and 1 having the most.

What got me thinking is how much slip is there at the different levels.

I guess its measured in degrees but how much? Like maybe 45 degrees or 1/8 of a turn more than the front wheel for level 1 and fuck all for level 8, maybe 5 degrees?
But also they can wheelie too can't they? How is that overcome?

Thanks

B-T

Max Preload
5th July 2008, 13:37
I doubt very much that the front and rear speeds are compared. I think you'll find it's more a case of measuring the rear wheel speed alone and constantly comparing it's angular acceleration. That would also allow wheelieing.

johan
5th July 2008, 14:42
I doubt very much that the front and rear speeds are compared. I think you'll find it's more a case of measuring the rear wheel speed alone and constantly comparing it's angular acceleration. That would also allow wheelieing.

The Ducati traction control system does indeed compare front and rear wheel speed with sensors.
You can see the front sensor on the radial brake mount.

Motu
5th July 2008, 17:05

That is how the traction control on the DT230 works,just the acceleration at the rear wheel speed sensor for an input.If it detects too rapid an increase in wheel speed it retards the ign.It still allows plenty of wheelspin (and wheel stands) but seems to flatten the punch a bit to make the 2 stroke power surge a bit more controllable.

Max Preload
6th July 2008, 15:16
The Ducati traction control system does indeed compare front and rear wheel speed with sensors.
You can see the front sensor on the radial brake mount.

It would appear from a quick google that you are correct. I wonder how it would cope with the front wheel skipping on acceleration or a wheelie?

Personally, I wouldn't want traction control.

Ocean1
6th July 2008, 15:40
I wonder how it would cope with the front wheel skipping on acceleration or a wheelie?

Dunno. How 'bout progressively turning the TC gain down as the forks near the top of their travel?

johan
8th July 2008, 14:08
Hey guys,

Have a read below, this guy is completely redesigning his 1098 including building his own traction control system and is posting work in progress every week. He's been working on it for a year and a half by now, and it's close to finished. He's trying to make the bike 40 kg lighter as well by redesigning frame components, tank, engine covers etc.

His traction control has three IR sensors spread across the tyre to measure tyre temperature and take this into account in the TC software.

Amazing to follow the progress, will it even start up?

http://www.1098-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2059

vifferman
8th July 2008, 14:17
I know that the MotoGP guys can actually control the level of traction control they get, presumably via a handlebar-mounted switch.

White trash
8th July 2008, 14:55
I know that the MotoGP guys can actually control the level of traction control they get, presumably via a handlebar-mounted switch.
Sure can. Got the same TC system on the WBP bike. It's called a "twist grip"

cowpoos
8th July 2008, 19:25
and it seems you need to have it re-programed?? or maybe read the WBP GSX-R1000K7 twist grip/traction control system for dummbies book??

Ocean1
8th July 2008, 21:16

Mine's got a persistent wee software glitch... <_<

Sully60
8th July 2008, 21:47

MotoGp traction control is on another level compared to what you'd get even on the 1098. They're using corner recognition software that changes the mapping for each section of the track as well as the optional maps the riders can control. There's a lot of other things going on also especially with 21l fuel tanks. Remember Nicky's bike slowing on the last few laps of a race last year when he used too much fuel to early in the race?

motorbyclist
9th July 2008, 23:12
traction control? on a sprotsbike?!

sounds like cheatin' if you ask me<_<

get some skill!:p

(personally i don't like the idea of electronics "fiddling" with my bike traction, specially if/as they're designed to make it less "fun"

MOAR POWER!)