PDA

View Full Version : Pit bike as a bucket

Ivan
6th July 2008, 12:26
Hey I was wondering is it legal to race a pit bike as a bucket?
If so Im thinking of getting one.

But I am keeping my eyes pen for a bigger bike that is in the bucket rules to

CookMySock
6th July 2008, 13:59
I don't think so, coz its a "race" engine.

DB

nudemetalz
6th July 2008, 15:04
Yes, pit-bikes are competition bikes AFAIK (prove me wrong though :) ) and therefore are not any different to using MX bikes as they are built with the intention of racing (well, are nowadays anyway).

Ivan
6th July 2008, 15:18
Exactly what I thought damn it.
Would be a perfect bike for slipway as its so small itd corner so fast.

Ohwell I might just have to wait until one of them CB125T's appear

nudemetalz
6th July 2008, 15:22
However, at the end of the day we have a Vespa which is nearly 200cc racing out there, + the occasional pitbike or 2 so as long as it's not a points race I don't think anyone would care.
Just taking it to the Nationals may prove to be an issue though.....

Pumba
6th July 2008, 15:35
We have a couple of pit bikes running with the buckets here in Auckland, not sure about the legality or even what class they fit in but they do run........

quallman1234
6th July 2008, 16:51
Yeah its pretty much sweet eh. They are pretty average speed at the end of the day. I know Koba race's one and he's around 1 - 4th in the B class.
But in saying that his is fooked.
But there is another guy who race's em and it goes quite well but still not amazlingly well too be a threat to the "Fast" guys.

Ivan
6th July 2008, 18:07
Yeah its pretty much sweet eh. They are pretty average speed at the end of the day. I know Koba race's one and he's around 1 - 4th in the B class.
But in saying that his is fooked.
But there is another guy who race's em and it goes quite well but still not amazlingly well too be a threat to the "Fast" guys.

Yeah thats the thing tho I dont wanna turn up to come lastI wanna be in A Grade being a threat to the fast guys as any racer does

quallman1234
6th July 2008, 19:16
Yeah thats the thing tho I dont wanna turn up to come lastI wanna be in A Grade being a threat to the fast guys as any racer does
Meh i reckon you have more of a chance of coming last in A grade with an average stock CB125T vs a Pit bike 125cc or 110cc.
Its not about the bike at the end of the day anyway. (up to a point)

Ivan
6th July 2008, 21:06
Meh i reckon you have more of a chance of coming last in A grade with an average stock CB125T vs a Pit bike 125cc or 110cc.
Its not about the bike at the end of the day anyway. (up to a point)

Yeah I know what you mean

Might have to get another CBR150 that thing was a weapon

quallman1234
6th July 2008, 23:09
Yeah I know what you mean

Might have to get another CBR150 that thing was a weapon

Who care's about winning its only buckets. :chase:

Ivan
7th July 2008, 12:13
Who care's about winning its only buckets. :chase:

I care I dont race for nothing

koba
7th July 2008, 13:01
Yes, pit-bikes are competition bikes AFAIK (prove me wrong though :) ) and therefore are not any different to using MX bikes as they are built with the intention of racing (well, are nowadays anyway).

Bollocks.
And here is the proof:

Thumpstar Roadripper (http://www.omicronmotors.com/thumpstar_roadripper.htm) (another example) (http://www.clubpromoto.co.uk/site/thumpstars.php)

The engines in most of thge cheap chines ones aren't any where near as good as the Thumpstars either.
Mine has this (http://newmanz.co.nz/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=3) engine (or one just like it) in it.
It is a copy of a honda CT110 I believe, so it is at least as eligable as the 150 Loncin :)

koba
7th July 2008, 13:05
As for being competitive....
It could be done, Mine has a Decent power to weight ratio and the engine is reasonable quality but the frame and suspension are diabolically shit!
Being tall would make it farken hard for you Ivan.

I think Using the engine in another very light frame with a reasonable amount of work done to make it faster would lead to a qucik bike but there are probably easier ways to get a bike that quick...

nudemetalz
7th July 2008, 15:32
Bollocks.
And here is the proof:

Thumpstar Roadripper (http://www.omicronmotors.com/thumpstar_roadripper.htm) (another example) (http://www.clubpromoto.co.uk/site/thumpstars.php)

The engines in most of thge cheap chines ones aren't any where near as good as the Thumpstars either.
Mine has this (http://newmanz.co.nz/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=3) engine (or one just like it) in it.
It is a copy of a honda CT110 I believe, so it is at least as eligable as the 150 Loncin :)

Hey I said prove me wrong.....:spanking:

quallman1234
7th July 2008, 16:42
If your going to do it do it. Anything can be competitive.

Sully60
7th July 2008, 16:44
Bollocks.
And here is the proof:

Right on Koba

Pit bikes are just that... PIT BIKES

There is no specific competition class for these bikes under Emenzud rules, so as they are I say race them. -Point 1-

However some of the aftermarket parts available for these machines could be considered borderline BUT as Koba rightfully points out the engines are based on the original "Cub" and subsequent variants of these which predominately road bikes (also used in quads, trikes and small off road buggies).

Now I used to work for the importer of Takegawa performance parts and I can tell you there is an catalogue an inch thick full of parts for these machines that range from anodised lever perches to complete twin cam, four valve, water cooled engines guaranteed to make more than 20hp.

My point is that besides costs how is this different to buying an Loncin motor? There is no difference -Point 2-

Now as we are struggling to get more than 20 riders to our meetings and more people are wanting start things around the country, I think we have to be inclusive of these bikes as they are cheap and accessable and definately more versatile than a dedicated bucket. If we let people race pit bikes then eventually enough may turn up to have their own class. We can't let ambiguity or interpretation of the rules exclude what could be a good way to get more people into the sport. -Point 3-

Oh look haven't I gone on just a bit oh well!

Looking forward to the threat Ivan, just remember you actually have to show up!:bleh:

Ivan
7th July 2008, 18:42
Hmmm will you gusy let me race my SV?

Im Gutted I cant find the Lifan 150 VTwin engine was gonna build myself a 150 twin woulda ruled

Dont worry I am gonna get abike and come beatyas dont worry bout that Sully your a big homo and dont scare me at all:done:

koba
7th July 2008, 18:50
Hey I said prove me wrong.....:spanking:

Hmm, Upon re-reading that may have been quite blunt.
It wasn't meant to sound nasty.

Ivan
7th July 2008, 18:58
Anyone got a TS or TF engine complete?

I got an idea

Number One
7th July 2008, 19:00
Sully your a big homo and dont scare me at all:done:

:Oi: My man is ALL man and he likes Ladies!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BLJ5a6aJOb8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BLJ5a6aJOb8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

gav
7th July 2008, 19:17

I got an idea
Noooooo ..... haven't you/we been through this before? :brick:

Ivan
7th July 2008, 19:32
Noooooo ..... haven't you/we been through this before? :brick:

Yeah but im 2 years older now

quallman1234
7th July 2008, 19:49
Yeah but im 2 years older now

But are you 2 years wiser? - Hey someone had to say it.

koba
7th July 2008, 20:41
A pitbike IS a good way to just get out there and be doing it, mine cost $200, only thing further to that was a chopping board for nylon and lots of cableties aswell as borrowing a bigger carb from Sully.

Just do somthing.

Buddha#81
7th July 2008, 22:54
Just do somthing.

A couple of BOB's ago I tried the Pitty thing,mini choper front wheel and all. It dumped me on my ass, then I went on to blow my bucket up......argh the good old days......Go for it with a spare set of wheels you could ride it every weekend.

Skunk
8th July 2008, 09:24

I got an idea
If anyone has a TS125 please let ME know... I have a bucket (and rider) waiting for one... No, not mine but close.

nudemetalz
8th July 2008, 09:37
Shane at Newmans Direct says he's bring in AX100-like engines now.
Could be an idea..

And Ivan,...bring it on !!
Let's see if you can "walk da walk", instead of all the "talk da talk" !!!

Skunk
8th July 2008, 10:10
Shane at Newmans Direct says he's bring in AX100-like engines now.
Could be an idea..
Yeah. I'm waiting to find out if they are 3 or 4 speed. Wouldn't recommend them though. Just a vague hope they're 5 speed or suitable to repair mine if it ever blows.

EDIT: Checked out the site (said he'd get back to me but must've forgot). 4 speed (Doh!) and the price has gone from $290 to $590! Way not worth it! 150cc 4 stroke is only $490.

Sully60
8th July 2008, 17:48
Hmmm will you gusy let me race my SV?
Having actually riden an SV650 around the Slipway I can tell you that you will get schooled big time by the fast buckets:bye:

Dont worry I am gonna get abike and come beatyas dont worry bout that Sully your a big homo and dont scare me at all:done:

You're just jealous of the Kendogs, I could pat your arse too if you actually turned up:yes:

Ivan
8th July 2008, 18:22
Having actually riden an SV650 around the Slipway I can tell you that you will get schooled big time by the fast buckets:bye:

You're just jealous of the Kendogs, I could pat your arse too if you actually turned up:yes:

Fuck Im gonna tun up just to beat you for that compliment

koba
8th July 2008, 18:26
Fuck Im gonna tun up just to beat you off for that compliment

Geeze who's the homo... :lol:

Ivan
8th July 2008, 18:57
Trust you to come up with that lol:sleep:

quallman1234
8th July 2008, 19:36
I smell a battle coming on, however will everyone turn up to the battlefield.

Sketchy_Racer
8th July 2008, 20:06
$10 says that Ivans still all talk..

Me however, who want's to swap my DR for a decent Pit bike??

koba
8th July 2008, 20:11

Damn! pity I don't have a decent one! (note pun)

Sketchy_Racer
8th July 2008, 20:17
I want one for two reasons..

One for buckets, they look fun and also to register for my 12km trip to work

Buddha#81
8th July 2008, 21:05
a MotoFXR would do that well:niceone:

Skunk
8th July 2008, 21:30
Oh great. Another Ivan thread of numerous pages of talk and no action. :yawn:

I'm betting we'll only see Ivan at the Slipway with either:
1. no bike,
2. someone else's bike.

gav
8th July 2008, 22:39
Pit bike aye?
How about something like this? :Punk: :shit:

nudemetalz
8th July 2008, 23:07
Pit bike aye?
How about something like this? :Punk: :shit:

Is that a Nitrous bottle I see...??? :eek5:

Pumba
9th July 2008, 08:09
Is that a Nitrous bottle I see...??? :eek5:

Na, its just the remote oil resovior for the rear shock:crazy:

koba
9th July 2008, 10:11
I want one for two reasons..

One for buckets, they look fun and also to register for my 12km trip to work

You guys are welcome to try mine, Might put you off a bit tho!

Citroenjunkie
9th July 2008, 20:34
If I pull 3 plugwires off my cb400 can I race it in buckets it should still have more horsepower than my TC125 (68/4 =17hp!!):blink:

Sorry, been dying to ask....:blink:

koba
10th July 2008, 10:13
If I pull 3 plugwires off my cb400 can I race it in buckets it should still have more horsepower than my TC125 (68/4 =17hp!!):blink:

Sorry, been dying to ask....:blink:

Probably not because it is still dragging the rest of the engine around.
Try running it with 3 plugs out (so its not compressing the non-running cylinders) and see how it goes.
Don't do it for ages its not really great for the engine.

Skunk
10th July 2008, 10:28
Don't forgot to stop fuel to those carbs too.

F5 Dave
10th July 2008, 14:52
Don't forgot to stop fuel to those carbs too.

I had to read that several times, you're starting to speak Ivan.

He's kidding, a CB would put out 50hp if you're lucky, so that is 12.5 + more drag than you'd want to think about, maybe 8 by the time you're done with cold bores wearing themselves to bits in a heavy frame.
Bring it orn!

Skunk
10th July 2008, 15:47
Doh! I had to read it twice too. But it makes sense in context. A fuller post should have been:
If you take the spark plugs out don't forgot to stop the fuel getting through those carbs that don't have working cylinders too. Otherwise you'll be pumping a flammable mixture into the air.

xr-rider
16th July 2008, 20:52

is there such a thing

Sketchy_Racer
16th July 2008, 20:59
Yeap and it's sitting in the shed..

Skunk
16th July 2008, 21:25
Yeap and it's sitting in the shed..
...in it's green glory...