PDA

View Full Version : Dynojet Powercommander info needed

locomotive
7th July 2008, 00:01
Hi All
I have fitted a Powercommander to an 08 CBR1000. This is a race bike so I fitted a Wideband commander at the same time to check the fueling. The Powercommander DID NOT come with an "std O2 eliminator" To get the orange engine fault light off I fitted a resistor to the heater line on the O2 sensor plug (as I do with Yamaha R1's and Suzuki 1000's). This put the fault light out but due to limited time I did no testing before the race meeting. The mapping at the part throttle (40,60 and 80%) fixed alot of the "holes" we found making the bike much more responsive on the exit of turns but with no gains at full throttle. This is normal. There is a full race Leo Vince pipe and a DNA filter fitted, otherwise all else is STD including cam timing.
The question is, no matter how much fuel I add below 8250 RPM and 40% throttle the A/F stays lean. Very lean to be exact, between 15.6 up to 18 which is the max the system can monitor. It is almost as if the STD ECU is lagging behind with the fuel when the throttle is cracked open. I tried to increase fuel with the Acc pump function on the Powercommader but with the same result. Has anyone fitted this equipment to a CBR1000 and what results have you had? Specifically when it comes to disconnecting the standard O2 sensor. A 5th and 7th place, but got to catch those Yamaha R1's!!!

DIN PELENDA
7th July 2008, 00:25
Go beck to R1( GO Yamaha!!!!):rockon:

HDTboy
7th July 2008, 04:22
As dodgy as it sounds, (but no more dodgy than running a powercommander anyway) have you tried mechanically increasing the fuel pressure, then using the power commander to electrically lean out the parts of the map which are now too rich?
Alternatively, seeing as it is a race bike, why not go for the HRC kit ecu?

TripleZee Dyno
7th July 2008, 10:24
Hi All
I have fitted a Powercommander to an 08 CBR1000. This is a race bike so I fitted a Wideband commander at the same time to check the fueling. The Powercommander DID NOT come with an "std O2 eliminator" To get the orange engine fault light off I fitted a resistor to the heater line on the O2 sensor plug (as I do with Yamaha R1's and Suzuki 1000's). This put the fault light out but due to limited time I did no testing before the race meeting. The mapping at the part throttle (40,60 and 80%) fixed alot of the "holes" we found making the bike much more responsive on the exit of turns but with no gains at full throttle. This is normal. There is a full race Leo Vince pipe and a DNA filter fitted, otherwise all else is STD including cam timing.
The question is, no matter how much fuel I add below 8250 RPM and 40% throttle the A/F stays lean. Very lean to be exact, between 15.6 up to 18 which is the max the system can monitor. It is almost as if the STD ECU is lagging behind with the fuel when the throttle is cracked open. I tried to increase fuel with the Acc pump function on the Powercommader but with the same result. Has anyone fitted this equipment to a CBR1000 and what results have you had? Specifically when it comes to disconnecting the standard O2 sensor. A 5th and 7th place, but got to catch those Yamaha R1's!!!
Is this one of the new EX power commanders?
Obviously if the bike is running OK it doesnt actually have a 18:1 AFR.
You can get this sort of problem with wbo2 systems. For whatever reason the wb is seeing a lot of spare oxygen.
Take the bike to someone with a dyno and a 4-5 gas ega (exhaust gas analyzer) and they should be able to give you the actual afr that is happening in the engine.
WB controllers are OK but you have to remember all they do is look at O2 in the exhaust. The afr is inferred. So anything that affects O2 in the exhaust will affect the indicated afr. Air injection, cats, air leaks, ignition timing, valve timing, exhaust tuning, high temperatures, can all have an effect on exhaust o2 content even if the actual combustion afr doesnt change.
Good luck

Tony.OK
7th July 2008, 10:40
Maybe a silly suggestion............but have you blocked off the Pair valve?It may be recycling air into the system giving the WB a false reading.
Not sure about other bikes but I know the 1000rr's need this done before mapping so it does'nt give wrong ratio's.

imdying
7th July 2008, 13:06
Is this one of the new EX power commanders?
Obviously if the bike is running OK it doesnt actually have a 18:1 AFR.
You can get this sort of problem with wbo2 systems. For whatever reason the wb is seeing a lot of spare oxygen.
Take the bike to someone with a dyno and a 4-5 gas ega (exhaust gas analyzer) and they should be able to give you the actual afr that is happening in the engine.
WB controllers are OK but you have to remember all they do is look at O2 in the exhaust. The afr is inferred. So anything that affects O2 in the exhaust will affect the indicated afr. Air injection, cats, air leaks, ignition timing, valve timing, exhaust tuning, high temperatures, can all have an effect on exhaust o2 content even if the actual combustion afr doesnt change.
Good luck

Maybe a silly suggestion............but have you blocked off the Pair valve?It may be recycling air into the system giving the WB a false reading.
Not sure about other bikes but I know the 1000rr's need this done before mapping so it does'nt give wrong ratio's.

Both good answers.

Free flowing mufflers can make it more difficult for a WBO too, but not as much of a problem on bike generally.

It's more likely to be the PCIII lagging behind, if either were, but the PCIII is quite capable of keeping up with a high RPM motor so unlikely to be that.

locomotive
8th July 2008, 07:05
Thanks for all the info. I "inherited" this race bike and do the motor prep so although the Emmission system was blocked off I did not see it myself, so another thing to check. The probe is in the same location as the std probe which is similar to the position on the R1 and the lag is not as noticeable. The rules in this class do not allow Kit parts (HRC etc), only aftermarket filters, exhausts, cam timing and powercommanders.
Spent some time with it on the Dyno today and it looks like the ECU is still moving the fueling even though the O2 probe was disconnected. On a Suzuki K7 the O2 eliminator only loads the heater side of the standard O2 plug. I have not seen the Honda O2 eliminator. I refitted the std sensor, ran the bike while monitoring the voltage on the probe, (not the heater, but the sensor output). While the motor was under load, with A/F at +/- 13.00 the voltage stayed at about 1 v dc. I ran out of time but plan to measure the std probe in that condition and then simulate it with another resistor hoping to clamp the ECU at one A/F.
Would be a D@#m side easier if they allowed the HRC ecu's or Motec's!!!!
Again thank you for the comments, anything for the extra .5 Hp or .2 of a second!!!!!!

Tony.OK
8th July 2008, 12:59
Thanks for all the info. I "inherited" this race bike and do the motor prep so although the Emmission system was blocked off I did not see it myself, so another thing to check. The probe is in the same location as the std probe which is similar to the position on the R1 and the lag is not as noticeable. The rules in this class do not allow Kit parts (HRC etc), only aftermarket filters, exhausts, cam timing and powercommanders.
Spent some time with it on the Dyno today and it looks like the ECU is still moving the fueling even though the O2 probe was disconnected. On a Suzuki K7 the O2 eliminator only loads the heater side of the standard O2 plug. I have not seen the Honda O2 eliminator. I refitted the std sensor, ran the bike while monitoring the voltage on the probe, (not the heater, but the sensor output). While the motor was under load, with A/F at +/- 13.00 the voltage stayed at about 1 v dc. I ran out of time but plan to measure the std probe in that condition and then simulate it with another resistor hoping to clamp the ECU at one A/F.
Would be a D@#m side easier if they allowed the HRC ecu's or Motec's!!!!
Again thank you for the comments, anything for the extra .5 Hp or .2 of a second!!!!!!

Another option would be to buy an O2 eliminator,about $10 I think,just plugs into where the sensor would be plugged in, I run mine without the O2 sensor in.
Good luck with it:yes:

locomotive
19th July 2008, 06:21
I got an O2 eliminator from Dynojet. Surprise, it's only a resistor (330 ohm) that keeps the EFI fault light off. Ran the bike and measured the output of the std O2 sensor, at temprature and an A/F of 13.00. I have simulated that side of the probe with another resistor to give me the same voltage at the ECU. Difficult to tell if it made any difference on the dyno, but are going to the track to test it. Should see oi the A/F is more constant on the logger.