PDA

View Full Version : This software hasn't passed windows XP testing

Kickaha
8th January 2005, 18:22
and wont be bloody installed,how do I stop the bastards at microsloth telling me what I can and can't install on my computer,it even screws me over when it's one of their programs

toads
8th January 2005, 18:50
and wont be bloody installed,how do I stop the bastards at microsloth telling me what I can and can't install on my computer,it even screws me over when it's one of their programs

just ignore the error message and continue to install it anyway, this is quite common for device drivers especially certain digital cameras etc,

Wonko
8th January 2005, 18:52
Have you tried loging as an administrator?

TwoSeven
8th January 2005, 21:21
What it means is the tard company that wrote the s/w was too cheap to send the code to MS in order for them to test that it works on your computer without shafting something.

Alternatively is can crop up when the current owner of said s/w was using a version so old that no-one realised it actually existed any more :)

Biff
8th January 2005, 21:53
What it means is that the company that wrote the driver refused to pay Microsoft the enourmous fees they ask in order to verify it. Ignore it and install it anyway.

James Deuce
8th January 2005, 22:00
just ignore the error message and continue to install it anyway, this is quite common for device drivers especially certain digital cameras etc,

What she said

James Deuce
8th January 2005, 22:02
What it means is that the company that wrote the driver refused to pay Microsoft the enourmous fees they ask in order to verify it. Ignore it and install it anyway.

What he said, plus if Microfloppy wrote Windows APIs that worked there'd be no need to certify stuff.

moko
8th January 2005, 22:18
I see that Microsoft are going to give away anti-virus/spyware software.Oooops there goes a few software companies,though I`m sure Uncle Bill hadn`t thought of that one.Also a bit ironic for a company who notoriously got caught building a "back-door" into their system worrying about spyware.

StoneChucker
9th January 2005, 01:03
The harder you fight, the more drawn out it's going to be...
Microsoft is going to be in every home by the end of this decade. And, with bio-implants, Microsoft will soon control our bodily functions, in a more efficient manner.

Hehe, lets hope Microsoft don't "engineer" our "back-door's" when THAT happens!

It's funny, I don't remember ever making the choice about using Microsoft products. It's just, the way it was... Got to give it to him, good or bad, that Billy knows what he's doing!

riffer
9th January 2005, 06:48
It's funny, I don't remember ever making the choice about using Microsoft products. It's just, the way it was... Got to give it to him, good or bad, that Billy knows what he's doing!

*sigh*

showing your age there Stoney...

There's always been a choice. Unfortunately too many companies left it up to the accountants to make the decision.

I started on IBM Unix mainframes, moved to Vax/VMS 11/750 clusters, then the Macintoshes came in with their proprietary systems, then the PC's showed up with Ms-DOS, PC-Dos, then OS2, then Windows 3.1, then Windows 3.11 for Workgroups, then the Macs hit back with System 7, OS8, then Windows 95 and 98, then linux popped up and I tried that, then Windows NT4 which was a real improvement (for Microsoft), then OS9 for Macs, then Windows 2000 for PCs, then some decent linuxes started showing up - the Redhat, Suse, Mandrake ones - then I hit MacOs X Public Beta when the Macintosh decided to go Unix. And finally Windows tried to catch up with XP.

There's heaps of OSes out there. Don't get stuck with just one. Try them all.,

Kickaha
9th January 2005, 07:04

It doesn't always give me the option to continue the install

I get it when trying to install some Microslut software,so that doesn't really make sense.

Ghost Lemur
9th January 2005, 07:26
The harder you fight, the more drawn out it's going to be...
Microsoft is going to be in every home by the end of this decade. And, with bio-implants, Microsoft will soon control our bodily functions, in a more efficient manner.

Hehe, lets hope Microsoft don't "engineer" our "back-door's" when THAT happens!

Bullshit

Windows will never feature in my house.

As for being good at what he does, I'll agree. He's damn good at buying a product including it into windows and forcing competitors into the dust. Not necessarily good for consumers though.

Like CelticNo6, I've used most operating systems since we got our fist mac. Now I use SuSE Pro, suits me at the moment. I don't remember the last time I had to think about virii and spyware.

As for your problem Kickaha, can you be a little more specific? Which version of XP, home or pro? What service packs are installed? What specifically are you trying to install, including version number?

Devil
9th January 2005, 07:55
As kickaha just mentioned, it doesnt always give you the option to continue installing. Is there a particular program you're trying to install at the moment? If its a few years old then yeah, its quite common to NOT work on XP.

I've mainly been having problems with the Server OS's. ie. shit not working on Win2k3 server (though it has all been resolved with later releases of the software).

Go look for an updated version of the software.

Blakamin
9th January 2005, 07:56
It doesn't always give me the option to continue the install

I get it when trying to install some Microslut software,so that doesn't really make sense.
what is it you are trying to install????

and can anyone remember who designed the GUI for the first Macs????

Biff
9th January 2005, 08:24

Are you sure it's actually written by by Microsoft!! That's bizarre. PC World mag made the statement that Microsoft were attempting to rip off software companies by forcing them to get their software verified. it was only the threat of the anti-competition bods in the US that forced them to have a re-think.

I see that Microsoft are going to give away anti-virus/spyware software.Oooops there goes a few software companies,though I`m sure Uncle Bill hadn`t thought of that one.Also a bit ironic for a company who notoriously got caught building a "back-door" into their system worrying about spyware.

I stick with free spyware gear and use them both at least once a week, namely Adaware and Spybot. Both are great and come with regular updates. Microsoft are anticipated to begin charging for their so called free virus and spy detection software in the near future.

A quick word of advice to anyone out there that doesn't have and/or regularly use spyware software - download some now you'll be horrified to find out how much spyware you've already got installed on your PC. These spyware codes track your internet browsing habits and can even log other personal information sending this information off to all manor of advertising companies or even more unscrupulous people. YOU"VE BEEN WARNED!

Kickaha
9th January 2005, 08:47
I was trying to install the version of IE that you get with Xtras adsl package,but I have had the same problem when downloading updates from Microsoft

About 3/4 of anything I download in the way of updates from microsofts update site including drivers and service packs won't install despite following every instruction on their site to rectify the problem

I'm using XP home version 2002,I dont' have any sevice packs installed because they supposedly haven't passed windows XP testing :disapint:

I'm aso having problems getting the ADSL connection up and running which after 1/2 hr on the phone to the help desk they said they'll send out another modem so I'm off to hook this one up to someone who has a got a working connection and see if it is the problem

Blakamin
9th January 2005, 09:08
I was trying to install the version of IE that you get with Xtras adsl package,but I have had the same problem when downloading updates from Microsoft

About 3/4 of anything I download in the way of updates from microsofts update site including drivers and service packs won't install despite following every instruction on their site to rectify the problem

I'm using XP home version 2002,I dont' have any sevice packs installed because they supposedly haven't passed windows XP testing :disapint:

I'm aso having problems getting the ADSL connection up and running which after 1/2 hr on the phone to the help desk they said they'll send out another modem so I'm off to hook this one up to someone who has a got a working connection and see if it is the problem

hmmm... sounds like certification is stuffed.... have you run a virus scanner lately??? sometimes a friggin virus will stop you installing anything from M$ or virus related... mainly updates!!!!

I actually run 2 virus scanners and a firewall and a router with hardware firewall...

James Deuce
9th January 2005, 09:13
I'll post a few ideas:

#1: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;888019

Also do you have XP SP2 on CD? If not PM me your address and I'll mail you a copy.

James Deuce
9th January 2005, 09:14
Could you post a screen dump of the error message you get too?

(I've been paged and am waiting for a callback, so I have some time at the mo)

James Deuce
9th January 2005, 09:16
#2: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;244726
#3: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813442

James Deuce
9th January 2005, 09:20
#4: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;886630
#5: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827082

James Deuce
9th January 2005, 09:23
#6: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810370

I'll wait to see if any of these helped.

Kickaha
9th January 2005, 09:48
hmmm... sounds like certification is stuffed.... have you run a virus scanner lately??? sometimes a friggin virus will stop you installing anything from M$ or virus related... mainly updates!!!!

I actually run 2 virus scanners and a firewall and a router with hardware firewall...

I run a virus scan and adaware weekly

Jim2 When I click those links it just opens another window which is blank,the install I tried seems to have caused some problems and I can't open anything in another window or acess my email through outlook and cutting and pasting the link just gets me a "this page can't be opened" message

Just found it I've got version 5.1 of XP

James Deuce
9th January 2005, 10:00

Jim2 When I click those links it just opens another window which is blank,the install I tried seems to have caused some problems and I can't open anything in another window or acess my email through outlook and cutting and pasting the link just gets me a "this page can't be opened" message

The only thing I can think of is that you aren't logged in as the local administrator. Did you do the install XP yourself, or did you buy it preinstalled?

Don't worry about the XP version number. That basically means that it's the 5th generation of Windows O/S.

Kickaha
9th January 2005, 10:09
The only thing I can think of is that you aren't logged in as the local administrator. Did you do the install XP yourself, or did you buy it preinstalled?

Don't worry about the XP version number. That basically means that it's the 5th generation of Windows O/S.

preinstalled,I've been using it for a couple of years with no problems except for doing the updates

the only option I have is to log on as the owner even if I switch users I still don't have the option to log on as admin

riffer
9th January 2005, 10:32
... can anyone remember who designed the GUI for the first Macs????

You cheeky shit. ;)

Apple designed the GUI for the first mac, but had help from Xerox for the idea when they designed the Lisa (http://www.cognitivevent.com/gui.html)

James Deuce
9th January 2005, 10:48
You cheeky shit. ;)

Apple designed the GUI for the first mac, but had help from Xerox for the idea when they designed the Lisa (http://www.cognitivevent.com/gui.html)

There was no help from Xerox. Steve Jobs asked for a copy of an O/S he saw being trialled on a Photocopier when visiting Palo Alto. The techo gave it to him. Woz developed it from there.

Blakamin
9th January 2005, 12:06

Sounds like "Mydoom" or the likes of that... stop you updating to get rid of RPC's
they are known to stop you going to anything with M$ in the name....windows update even renamed their site for a while to get around this problem...
try an online virus scanner here (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/) then go to symantec website (if it lets you)symantec website (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html) and have a look at removal tools....

James Deuce
9th January 2005, 12:30
Sounds like "Mydoom" or the likes of that... stop you updating to get rid of RPC's
they are known to stop you going to anything with M$ in the name....windows update even renamed their site for a while to get around this problem...
try an online virus scanner here (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/) then go to symantec website (if it lets you)symantec website (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html) and have a look at removal tools....

Beat me to it. Good work. However RPC is just a part of the O/S, so don;t go disabling the RPC service or anythigng

Blakamin
9th January 2005, 12:38
Beat me to it. Good work.
Not just an ugly face, you know!!

James Deuce
9th January 2005, 13:31
Not just an ugly face, you know!!

No - you got an ugly bike too.

Blakamin
9th January 2005, 14:53
No - you got an ugly bike too.
hehehehe.... mmmm.... bike... hows yours???? :Pokey:

Ghost Lemur
9th January 2005, 15:03

O-U-C-H

Now that's hitting below the belt. :lol:

James Deuce
9th January 2005, 15:40

Running. All being well the mighty CBR will be registered in the next 2 weeks.

James Deuce
9th January 2005, 15:41
O-U-C-H

Now that's hitting below the belt. :lol:

Never take an insult from an Australian seriously. It's a backhanded compliment, because they can't help admiring crassness in others due to their convict background.

Blakamin
9th January 2005, 15:55
Never take an insult from an Australian seriously. It's a backhanded compliment, because they can't help admiring crassness in others due to their convict background.
:bleh:
Glad to hear you'll be back on the road soon... trip to Pie-Cock coming up so I can see it???

Bonez
9th January 2005, 16:12
Anyone here using Linux?

James Deuce
9th January 2005, 16:26
:bleh:
Glad to hear you'll be back on the road soon... trip to Pie-Cock coming up so I can see it???

Wot my ancient CBR?

Go to google, type CBR600FH and hit the image option.

Then do it again, with the added condition of; "looks like crap and has no bottom fairing panels".

There. You've seen it.

Blakamin
9th January 2005, 16:50
Wot my ancient CBR?

Go to google, type CBR600FH and hit the image option.

Then do it again, with the added condition of; "looks like crap and has no bottom fairing panels".

There. You've seen it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
still wanna see it.... or is a commuter only bike??

James Deuce
9th January 2005, 16:53
:lol: :lol: :lol:
still wanna see it.... or is a commuter only bike??

It is a for sale bike.

Ghost Lemur
9th January 2005, 18:06
Anyone here using Linux?

Yes.

Currently using SuSE 9.1

But used/played with most of the major distros at some point or other.

FlyingDutchMan
10th January 2005, 15:56
I stick with free spyware gear and use them both at least once a week, namely Adaware and Spybot. Both are great and come with regular updates. Microsoft are anticipated to begin charging for their so called free virus and spy detection software in the near future.

A quick word of advice to anyone out there that doesn't have and/or regularly use spyware software - download some now you'll be horrified to find out how much spyware you've already got installed on your PC. These spyware codes track your internet browsing habits and can even log other personal information sending this information off to all manor of advertising companies or even more unscrupulous people. YOU"VE BEEN WARNED!

I ran Ad-aware for the first time a month ago and it only complained about 2 things... 1 was where I had changed my shell (go Litestep) in the registry and the other was spyware thingie that works with IE (which has been permantly deleted).

Computer stays safe by avoiding as many as possible microslut proggies and use Firefox + Thunderbird. Don't use IE... you're just opening a big can o worms.