PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some $110 to $120 heated grips

huck farley
7th July 2008, 21:16
Looking to buy a set of heated grips, they not only have to function well they need to have a professional switch also. Not the usual knob type stuck on top of a box with double sided tape to stick it's somewhere out of sight because it's horrible and spoils the looks of your instrument panel. Any Ideas anyone.
Cheers Huck

pete376403
7th July 2008, 21:43
Oxford make a set at around $115, switch is a sealed box with touch type switches. I have a set on my bike and I'm very pleased with them.
http://www.oxprod.com/index.php?pg=3&action=dept&id=30&pid=174&p

CookMySock
8th July 2008, 08:59
Yeah the oxfords have a nice little panel that attaches to your brake lever bracket. It does look a little large and gonky - not 100% pleased with it. No one points and laughs at it, so its not completely hilariously ugly.

I wont be using the controller coz I my HID inverter toasted it, so I'll make up a nice little auxiliary switch panel that I can plug other stuff into as well. I found some tiny switches and rubber boots for it, and some stick on carbon vinyl and polished alloy edges dresses it up nicely. Gee I guess I better go make it. :whistle:

DB

Gubb
8th July 2008, 09:06
Do you put Vinyl Carbon fiber on everything?

:laugh:

Devil
8th July 2008, 09:54
Yeah the oxfords have a nice little panel that attaches to your brake lever bracket. It does look a little large and gonky - not 100% pleased with it. No one points and laughs at it, so its not completely hilariously ugly.
DB

Do you have the old one or the new one? Cos they replaced the big one with the knob on it, for one thats half the size with tidy sealed buttons. You can buy the replacement controller if you dont like your gay one. Plugs straight in.

My vote is for the oxfords too.

CookMySock
8th July 2008, 11:09
Do you put Vinyl Carbon fiber on everything?Troll, ignore.

Do you have the old one or the new one? Cos they replaced the big one with the knob on it, for one thats half the size with tidy sealed buttons. You can buy the replacement controller if you dont like your gay one. Plugs straight in. My vote is for the oxfords too.Looks like I have the new one with the sealed buttons and coloured LEDs - any electronic interference will brick it. They replaced it a few times and then I didnt take it back any more, hinting that it was my problem. Whatever. I don't think any bike product should be this sensitive.

The oxford grips are large/fat though.. I don't know if I like them really. Heated jacket will be the story, or a pocket warmer.

If I was offered oxford grips I wouldn't install them again.

DB

Mr Triple
15th July 2008, 21:20
Got the oxford ones with the sealed panel on my Tiger and they work well I'm happy with them so far.:2thumbsup

insomnia01
18th July 2008, 08:32
I recently installed the Oxfords on my BlackBird & had a few issues with the main wiring plug where the 2 grips plug into... intermittently they would come on & turn off, on closer inspection it was found that the wiring was abit loose & needed re crimping nothing major & have been out to Raglan coast at 8 - 9pm & found them to be most excellant !!

BASS-TREBLE
18th July 2008, 17:46
I got mine of trade me for $104 with shipping from memory.

The bracket fitted on my handlebar mounts after I drilled the holes a bit bigger and bent the bracket straight, its out of the way and protected a little bit from the wind.

On max you can just touch the grips without gloves.

B-T

AllanB
18th July 2008, 18:09
A guy at work got some from a overseas site that are a flat heating sheet that you wrap around and stick to the bar and throttle under the grip of your choice. Hes happy with them and its a tidy application.

I just cannot find the site.........

I'll ask on Monday.

Cary
18th July 2008, 20:34
I'm on my 2nd set (Oxford,diff bikes) and think they are well worth the money.

Couple points tho. The new controller 'on' button has to be held on for at least 2sec(same for off) and in winter can be hard to tell with thick gloves plus depending where you place it your hand covers light so again, hard to tell.

Where the wire comes out of the grip is quite bulky although you do get used to it, makes placement on the bars important.

Make sure you wire them into ignition on/off as even though it says in blurb they will auto turn off when batt low I know someone whos left them on and has run batt to dead.

Saying all that, still well worth the money & easy to fit.

Makes winter riding a whole lot more comfortable :sunny:

Taz
18th July 2008, 20:41
I can vouch for the Daytona heated grips. Super reliable japanese quality.

tri boy
18th July 2008, 20:45
+1 on the new Oxford digital controller set up.
Fitted a pair couple of weeks back. Even in bulky gloves the temp adjustment is easy, and the low battery/cut off system is a nice touch.

Goblin
18th July 2008, 20:56
I was weary when a big burly bloke on a KTM told me to "come and feel this," on the way to the Monkey this year. :crazy: That was the first time I'd felt them and was quite impressed. Got some Oxford grips in Chch and fitted them fairly easily. I find the little control panel easy to use and quite frankly dont care what it looks like as long as it works. The grips are slightly thicker than normal but easy enough to get used to. I love em. :2thumbsup