PDA

View Full Version : 86 GPZ 600 - Radiator fan - always off

Wonko
8th January 2005, 19:24
Past fortnight or so I have noticed the temp climbing while riding around in town traffic. Found out that the fan temp controler thingie in the base of the radiator is not working by shortcircuting it. This is the second one that has needed to be replaced. Any ideas as to why/how?

Alternertivly does anyone see any problem if I wire the fan up so that it will always be on with the accessories?

Cheers

FROSTY
8th January 2005, 19:32
Wonko --no prob fan being runnin on accessory but the better way would be to pull the wires of the temp probe and just wire in a simple on off switch to the wires exposed.

Wonko
8th January 2005, 19:56
I thought about wiring in an off/on switch, but i would be another thing to have to turn off after a ride as it is a direct conection to the battery. ie the fan should normally still run after the bike is turned off.

erik
8th January 2005, 20:32
are you sure you're shorting the right temp sensor thing? on my zeal, it has a sensor on the radiator that activates the temp warning light, and then another one near the thermostat that activates the fan.
'course they are completely different bikes...

Wonko
8th January 2005, 20:46
Yeah I ahve the right one, I can unplug it and ground it and the fan comes on like a charm.

Mongoose
8th January 2005, 20:53
are you sure you're shorting the right temp sensor thing? on my zeal, it has a sensor on the radiator that activates the temp warning light, and then another one near the thermostat that activates the fan.
'course they are completely different bikes...

And to keep in on topic, completely different bikes that is. Are you sure it is getting hot enough to warrent the fan? The reason I ask is I know of other bikes with fans that get perdy darn warm before the fan even think about cutting in

FROSTY
8th January 2005, 22:28
Yeah I ahve the right one, I can unplug it and ground it and the fan comes on like a charm.
matey better another switch than a blon motor

Mongoose
8th January 2005, 22:52
matey better another switch than a blon motor

Orrrrrrr, how about an auto type sparky checks the switch/sender unit to see if it is operating?

toads
18th January 2005, 07:15
we have had this issue with two of the hondas we have owned, the sender unit that causes the fan to kick in at a given temperature crapped out so we did as frosty suggested and wired manual switches, just turn em on going uphill or in traffic and otherwise turn em off, works fine and again as frosty says, better that than a blown motor eh!!

What?
18th January 2005, 19:17
...ie the fan should normally still run after the bike is turned off.
:spudwhat: Why would you want the fan to run if the water pump has stopped?

Blakamin
18th January 2005, 19:49
:spudwhat: Why would you want the fan to run if the water pump has stopped?
keeps the radiator comfortable??? :lol:

Wonko
19th January 2005, 20:02
I'm not 100% sure why the fan keeps on going after the bike has stopped. I belive it is to help with cooling the bike down.

Water will still flow around the cooloing system due to thermal dynamics. air flow over the radiator will cool the water down in there. Hence cooling bike quicker.

What?
20th January 2005, 21:03
Without seeing a wiring diagram for your bike I can't really say for sure, but that just doesn't sound right - most bikes stop everything immediately when you turn the key off. Maybe a previous owner has done something which is giving rise to your problems???

Wonko
20th January 2005, 23:34
That is possible as it has been stripped down and rebuilt(or so I've been told). The main loom looks intact, and the connection looks original, but the last 6 inchs of wire to the sensor have been replaced. A switch may be the answer, but will have to wait until after I've moved and unpacked.

erik
21st January 2005, 04:10
At least for some bikes it's normal for the fan to still run if the engine is really hot when the ignition is turned off (eg, it says it is for the FZR400 in the manual). And I'm pretty sure I've read the same thing about the radiator fan in my old car.
'course, they are completely different vehicles... ;)

DrDee
25th January 2005, 18:37
I had a 86 GPZ600 with a no-go fan switch and wired up an illuminated manual switch for it. Worked a charm and I never forgot to turn it on with the glowing switch :rolleyes: