PDA

View Full Version : We've been "Reached" Mom !!!

FJRider
8th July 2008, 18:54
Just a few snaps of the Cromwell gorge area, of the wire...THE REAL ONES...barriers installed there. As usual the traffic was bumper to bumper, but it was 3.30 in the afternoon. It wasn't warm... but the work ute has a heater and half decent stereo system.
The lengths of these vary from 25 metres, to well over a kilometer.

Katman
8th July 2008, 19:01
Can I assume you're not questioning the need for barriers there?

FJRider
8th July 2008, 19:44
You need SOMETHING to stop you going over the bank. A few cages went in PRIOR to their installment. I just take more care in the gorge. In 20 km's of gorge... NO PASSING BAYS... MORE needed everywhere. That would do a lot for rider safety.

Mom
8th July 2008, 19:54
Can I assume you're not questioning the need for barriers there?

You need SOMETHING to stop you going over the bank. A few cages went in PRIOR to their installment. I just take more care in the gorge. In 20 km's of gorge... NO PASSING BAYS... MORE needed everywhere. That would do a lot for rider safety.

I reckon you two should get a room.

Good luck to you FJRider. There will be more of them if you dont attempt to get the installation of these killers stopped. Hope you never have the misfortune to have something go wrong when you are travelling past one of them at any kind of speed over 50kmph. By something I am thinking, sudden wind gust to push you against them, other vehicle cross centre line and you get head on or WRB as your options, a mechanical failure, a blow out, or God forbid a brain fart that makes you not use your usual common sense.

I note you offer another road safety option apart from the cheesecutter. Good for you! There will always be another option, it may cost a bit more is all!

Katman
8th July 2008, 20:00
What do you suggest as a barrier there Mom?

Armco?

Great big concrete slabs? (The locals would love them, I'm sure. Not.)

Or do you suggest no barrier at all so cars can disappear straight over the edge into the water?

FJRider
8th July 2008, 20:03
That road cost over $100,000 per metre to build, and the budget couldn't stretch a bit more ???... it was THINK BIG ...not sense.

DEATH_INC.
8th July 2008, 20:10
What do you suggest as a barrier there Mom?

Armco?

There is nothing wrong with double row armco barriers, or armco equipped with 'mototub'. I tend to agree that concrete would not really be suitable in this case.

cold comfort
8th July 2008, 20:12
yeah, a bit difficult to swim out after you've had a couple of limbs severed by the bloody "safety barriers" !

MyGSXF
8th July 2008, 20:12
Just a few snaps of the Cromwell gorge area

OOooohhhhhh... I remember that piece of road... motorcycle heaven.. :drool::drool:

yeah.. pity bout the wrb's!!! <_<

Katman
8th July 2008, 20:14
There is nothing wrong with double row armco barriers, or armco equipped with 'mototub'.

Sorry, you'll have to excuse my ignorance - does double row armco or armco equipped with 'mototub' get around the issue of the danger imposed by the upright stands?

DEATH_INC.
8th July 2008, 20:16
Yes, you have a second steel rail down at ground level or the 'mototub' is a plastic sheild that prevents you sliding into the 'legs'

Mototub
http://www.fema.ridersrights.org/crashbarrier/img33.jpg
Double armco
http://www.wickens.co.uk/media/images/products/safety/rep101D.jpg

FJRider
8th July 2008, 20:18
OOooohhhhhh... I remember that piece of road... motorcycle heaven.. :drool::drool:

yeah.. pity bout the wrb's!!! <_<

I usually do this road (in a work cage) twice a day. Hope you have better luck with the "traffic".

MyGSXF
8th July 2008, 20:40
you have a second steel rail down at ground level or the 'mototub' is a plastic sheild that prevents you sliding into the 'legs'

I haven't seen one like that before.. looks bloody good!!!! :Punk:

I usually do this road (in a work cage) twice a day. Hope you have better luck with the "traffic".

:shutup: Went through early Dec.. just before the 1st South Island KB gathering at Otematata 06!! GOOORjus day.. GOOORjus scenery.. :2thumbsup was enjoyin meself sooo much.. I jus about slid off me seat!! :innocent:

MSTRS
9th July 2008, 09:18
I can't believe that anyone who has spent time in these threads doesn't know the options that are available, with regards to barriers (biker-friendly or otherwise).
Mind you, any solid barrier in that gorge would be eco-terrorism...what about the view? p/t

Katman
9th July 2008, 10:02
I can't believe that anyone who has spent time in these threads doesn't know the options that are available, with regards to barriers (biker-friendly or otherwise).
Mind you, any solid barrier in that gorge would be eco-terrorism...what about the view? p/t

I'd have thought by now you'd have realised that gaining a diploma in roadside barriers is not high on my list of priorities.

And your comment about eco-terrorism may have been said as a piss take but I think you'd find there's a large percentage of the public that would think just that. (A larger percentage than motorcyclists make up anyway).

FJRider
9th July 2008, 17:54
There are quite a few, that want to take out the power poles to improve the veiw... I would "encourage" that...

Steam
9th July 2008, 18:03
There are quite a few, that want to take out the power poles to improve the veiw... I would "encourage" that...

But, with no power poles, how would we get rid of the drunk drivers?

carver
9th July 2008, 18:12
Just a few snaps of the Cromwell gorge area, of the wire...THE REAL ONES...barriers installed there. As usual the traffic was bumper to bumper, but it was 3.30 in the afternoon. It wasn't warm... but the work ute has a heater and half decent stereo system.
The lengths of these vary from 25 metres, to well over a kilometer.

thats fucking great, at least we can see them when its dark!

FJRider
9th July 2008, 18:17
But, with no power poles, how would we get rid of the drunk drivers?

The wire barriers aren't all connected... we could put signs at the end of each string... drunk drivers GO OFF HERE :done:
If that doesn't work :2guns::2guns::2guns:
But most of us just rely on :Police::Police::Police::Police::Police::Police:

unrealone
10th July 2008, 10:01
I haven't seen one like that before.. looks bloody good!!!! :Punk:

There are some places in Wellington with Double Row Armco. It makes me feel so much better :)

Jantar
10th July 2008, 11:10
There are a number of places through the gorge with cheese cutters that don't really need any barrier at all. I am aware of at least four cars going into the lake before the barriers were in place and at least two were fatal.

However one of those happened in such a place, and at a speed that he would have gone over the wire anyway. He was heading south, went off the road to the left, bounced back to the right, and left the road at abouth the centreline, so would have already been well airborne at the point of the barrier.

Another car that went into the water was a cop car. The cop forgot to put his handbrake on. :laugh:

FJRider
10th July 2008, 22:54
A Toyota Supra hit one of the barriers in the gorge just past Jacksons (Cromwell side) on Tuesday night. He didn' DRIVE home and didn't go THROUGH the barrier. Was parked up on the side of the road all messed up on wednesday morning...Barrier was FIXED by the time I went home that night.

unrealone
11th July 2008, 19:54
That's fast... took em quite a while to fix up some of the WRBs on SH2 towards Upper Hutt awhile back.

FJRider
11th July 2008, 19:59
They fix em fast because of the high traffc flows we have in this area now ....

DEATH_INC.
17th July 2008, 18:19
A Toyota Supra hit one of the barriers in the gorge just past Jacksons (Cromwell side) on Tuesday night. He didn' DRIVE home and didn't go THROUGH the barrier.
This is what we're up against, they DO work on cages......anyone wanna try it on a bike so we can even things up? Carver?

Sanx
22nd July 2008, 00:38
This is what we're up against, they DO work on cages.

They work on cages in most cases, but not on trucks, some SUVs, buses, or low-slung convertibles. I know I don't need to tell you that, as I saw the photo showing exactly what a WRB did to a car in your old place of employment.