PDA

View Full Version : KTM 525smr Motard for me ??

Quasievil
9th July 2008, 17:42
I am thinking very seriously about makeing the call in the next day or so to buy a KTM525SMR 2005 model.

The bike itself is a minter.

Im intending to trackday and eventually race it, Ive raced before but on sportsbikes but wanting to try motarding.

Question is can you talk me out of this particular model bike or not.

What classes can I race in, any disadvantage ?

Running costs, maintenance etc etc

Please give me your opinions

Cheers

White trash
9th July 2008, 17:59
Best choice you ever made mate. Especially if you'll let me ride it.

As for classes, race it in Motards. Simple.

Quasievil
9th July 2008, 18:05
Best choice you ever made mate. Especially if you'll let me ride it.

As for classes, race it in Motards. Simple.

Yeah you can ride it bro !

got me that job to !!

carver
9th July 2008, 18:14
I am thinking very seriously about makeing the call in the next day or so to buy a KTM525SMR 2005 model.

Im intending to trackday and eventually race it, Ive raced before but on sportsbikes but wanting to try motarding.

Cheers

a DRZ 400sm will smoke you out the crate.
if not, il prove it

Quasievil
9th July 2008, 18:23
a DRZ 400sm will smoke you out the crate.
if not, il prove it

:laugh:Fuck are you insane, I will have twice the HP than you mate
at the track no probs bro lol

Mikkel
9th July 2008, 18:33
So no Husky for you anyway? They're good btw...

Qkkid
9th July 2008, 18:41

Cheers
:rolleyes:If you not carefull i will have to start calling ya DMNTD:dodge:

Quasievil
9th July 2008, 18:43
:rolleyes:If you not carefull i will have to start calling ya DMNTD:dodge:

But But I nearly had the KLR650 for a year common !!

Quasievil
9th July 2008, 18:44
So no Husky for you anyway? They're good btw...

Well I would have gone the husky way but they are not as good a deal as I can get on the KTM so going that way it seems.
Now you got to get up here to a trackday so I can race ya !!

carver
9th July 2008, 18:55
:laugh:Fuck are you insane, I will have twice the HP than you mate
at the track no probs bro lol

10 HP more against my DRZ's..at a guess

on the road, anytime, anyplace!

Mikkel
9th July 2008, 18:59
Well I would have gone the husky way but they are not as good a deal as I can get on the KTM so going that way it seems.
Now you got to get up here to a trackday so I can race ya !!

As much as I enjoy the Husky I think going to Hamos on it would be even more of a mission than it would have been on the 250. Thereby not saying I'm not going to. :)

That said, the 610 is a street motard not a race-bike - dunno how it would perform compared to the 525. I might have to take it to the track this friday and see how it goes :yes:

Did my first wheelie the other day - and not by intent btw. Not going in a straight line either. That was fairly interesting. Coming out of a 90 degree lefthander I was a bit hard on the throttle coming out of the turn and the front just went skywards, had a bit of a shimmy as it touched back down again.

Mikkel
9th July 2008, 19:01
10 HP more against my DRZ's..at a guess

One gets the distinct impression that, yes on the road, you stand a good chance of winning just about any idiot contest anyone could care to device. :headbang:

carver
9th July 2008, 19:03
As much as I enjoy the Husky I think going to Hamos on it would be even more of a mission than it would have been on the 250. Thereby not saying I'm not going to. :)

That said, the 610 is a street motard not a race-bike - dunno how it would perform compared to the 525. I might have to take it to the track this friday and see how it goes :yes:

Did my first wheelie the other day - and not by intent btw. Not going in a straight line either. That was fairly interesting. Coming out of a 90 degree lefthander I was a bit hard on the throttle coming out of the turn and the front just went skywards, had a bit of a shimmy as it touched back down again.

you must be a hard out noob to own a 610 and not know how to wheelie it, i can hold up my DRZ for just about 1km

One gets the distinct impression that, yes on the road, you stand a good chance of winning just about any idiot contest anyone could care to device. :headbang:

thank you, yes, on the road, not some pussy ass boring race track that anyone can ride 1,000,000 times to get fast.
the roads where the true racing's had.

Macstar
9th July 2008, 19:13
I had the 520 for about 6 months and did a couple of track days motard-style. Bloody awesome fun and mine was road registered too so I cranked the Coro loop once and ate the sport bikes through the tight stuff.

A lot of maintenance:

Oil each race meet
Two oil filters
Valve clearances every 5-10 hrs
Top end rebuild every 50hrs? Full rebuild @ 100 hrs on normal use - racing maybe 60-80hrs? Parts alone for a full rebuild would be over $3K

Rest is normal stuff, pads fork oil etc.

You can have the engine out of the bike in 20-30 minutes though if you are good, so labour isn't too much.

I say go for it - I plan to get another one once the finances are out of the red zone!!

Mikkel
9th July 2008, 22:33
you must be a hard out noob to own a 610 and not know how to wheelie it, i can hold up my DRZ for just about 1km

Yup, pretty much as hard out noob as it gets when it comes to my motard - I've had it for just about 2 weeks - the weather have been pretty shitty down here and I am in no hurry to kill myself.

In all seriousness, you must be an awesome rider to be able to keep it up for 1 km! :rolleyes:

thank you, yes, on the road, not some pussy ass boring race track that anyone can ride 1,000,000 times to get fast.

o rly?

AlBundy
10th July 2008, 04:48
Quasi, I suppose it depends on the riding you'll be doing...

Short hops and track, great.

Carver, LBTW etc have the DRZ, they'll do country-round trips easily without any maintenance... Swings and roundabouts... Are you keeping the KLR? Or replacing it?

Coyote
10th July 2008, 07:22
I stand a better chance.

Devil
10th July 2008, 10:09

Thats.
Just.
Stupid.

Back to back the DRZ wouldn't stand a chance.

Devil
10th July 2008, 10:32
Quasi: From what i've read the 525smr is an absolute weapon. Just the maintenance that could be a negative. But then again, if it's only coming out for trackdays and racing...

White trash
10th July 2008, 13:28

That's great news!

I'm sure Quasi will have no problem with me borrowing his bike to do battle with you at Paeroa. I'm looking forward to it.

Devil
10th July 2008, 13:58
That's great news!

I'm sure Quasi will have no problem with me borrowing his bike to do battle with you at Paeroa. I'm looking forward to it.

Bahahahaaaa. :2guns:

carver
10th July 2008, 17:49
Yup, pretty much as hard out noob as it gets when it comes to my motard - I've had it for just about 2 weeks - the weather have been pretty shitty down here and I am in no hurry to kill myself.

I all seriousness, you must be an awesome rider to be able to keep it up for 1 km! :rolleyes:

o rly?

you just have to know your bike and your abilities.
what made you choose the 610?
i got the DRZ cause it was cheap, low maintainance, and able to take a thrashing.
plus i have always wanted a motard.
i might have to do a "how to wheelie" thread. (i dont clutch it)

Mikkel
10th July 2008, 17:54
you just have to know your bike and your abilities.
what made you choose the 610?

I went motard because I wanted a sporty unfaired bike for commuting. And they look like fun.

I chose the 610 over the 450s because it was there, seemed like a good buy and I didn't want a "race-bike" and the maintenance schedule that goes with it.

Also, it should be able to challenge me as a rider for a few years to come and besides I wanted something that was still powerful enough that I wouldn't be thinking "god I miss my 750" everytime I twist the throttle.

I reckon the 610 fits that bill perfectly.

carver
10th July 2008, 17:55
I went motard because I wanted a sporty unfaired bike for commuting. And they look like fun.

I chose the 610 over the 450s because it was there, seemed like a good buy and I didn't want a "race-bike" and the maintenance schedule that goes with it.

Also, it should be able to challenge me as a rider for a few years to come and besides I wanted something that was still powerful enough that I wouldn't be thinking "god I miss my 750" everytime I twist the throttle.

I reckon the 610 fits that bill perfectly.

whats it like on open roads's and what kinda speed can you do on it?

Mikkel
10th July 2008, 18:14
whats it like on open roads's and what kinda speed can you do on it?

You sit upright and there are no fairings - as such it is tiresome for long distance riding, like any other motard I'd imagine. Doing 100 km/h into a strong headwind is rather strenous.

Dunno what the top-speed is - but when I bought it the max speed log on the speedo said 203 km/h so the previous owner has been a naughty boy. Most I have done so far has been 139 km/h - but I haven't been out of the city a lot yet. Weather has been crap and there's a lot of grit on the roads down here at the moment.
I'll see how much I can get it up to when I take it out to the track tomorrow.

Devil
10th July 2008, 20:54
You sit upright and there are no fairings - as such it is tiresome for long distance riding, like any other motard I'd imagine. Doing 100 km/h into a strong headwind is rather strenous.

Just got the touring screen on the KTM, it's absolutely excellent. Takes the wind off your chest completely and makes it much more comfortable. If you want to have a look at it to see if it'd adapt to yours, just PM me.

I bought a motard for similar reasons, and the 690 because it's not a full on race one, but has plenty of poke, upright position with good suspension and brakes, plus reasonable service intervals.

The KTM690sm is supposed to do a radar'd 186km/h out of the crate. Not sure what that'd read as on the speedo. Thats without screen which makes a huge difference. not too tall and follows the lines of the front.
I've only had mine to 139km/h and it gets there bloody quick!

AlBundy
10th July 2008, 21:20
That's be 139 on the speedo too?

You wouldn't consciously go above that, now would you...

Mikkel
10th July 2008, 23:09
Just got the touring screen on the KTM, it's absolutely excellent. Takes the wind off your chest completely and makes it much more comfortable. If you want to have a look at it to see if it'd adapt to yours, just PM me.

I bought a motard for similar reasons, and the 690 because it's not a full on race one, but has plenty of poke, upright position with good suspension and brakes, plus reasonable service intervals.

The KTM690sm is supposed to do a radar'd 186km/h out of the crate. Not sure what that'd read as on the speedo. Thats without screen which makes a huge difference. not too tall and follows the lines of the front.
I've only had mine to 139km/h and it gets there bloody quick!

Sounds interesting - however it would need to be something which is easy to put on and take off since I certainly won't want a touring screen most of the time.

As for getting there quickly - hell yes. I said I had done 139 km/h tops... Not entirely true - just checked my max speed log and it said 145 km/h. Only thing is - I can't really recall having been out of the city (I wouldn't do that in the city, ever! (unless I was already running from the cops - and I wouldn't do that either)) and I certainly can't recall having gone that fast, since I usually don't on public roads. :blink: (that's an indicated 145 km/h though - it could be 70 km/h for all I know :whistle:)

Devil
11th July 2008, 10:12
Sounds interesting - however it would need to be something which is easy to put on and take off since I certainly won't want a touring screen most of the time.

I was thinking the same thing before I got it, but the name "touring screen" is a little misleading. it's only about 6" tall and just unscrews with 4 allen key bolts. After seeing it's effects and how it fits with the bike, i'll just be leaving it on! I thought if I didn't like it i'd just take if off and put it on for long rides.