PDA

View Full Version : Go Pro Camera Test

unrealone
9th July 2008, 21:45
Well, my flatmate picked up one of these just before a trackday earlier in june hoping to get some great footage. Unfortunately we ran in to a few hiccups (dont forget to read the manual guys!)

First, some background info.

Name: Go Pro Motorsports Hero
Specs, see: http://www.goprocamera.com/images/New_Graphics/index5-Motorsports-HERO.jpg

This is a fantastic little unit and works very well. It comes with 4 mounts; 2 flat stick on mounts, 2 curved stick on mounts and a suction cup. It also contains pivots for getting the perfect angle.

I've mounted two mounts to my RS250: A flat stick on mount facing to the rear off the swingarm and a curved mount facing forwards on my RHS lower fairing. Unfortunately, in the 3 video below, I didn't straighten the camera up as I was in a rush.

The problems we had were battery related. We were using Energizer Max (and later Energizer Advanced) alkaline batteries, however these only lasted about 3-4 mins on our first couple goes. I later decided to read the manual and discover that for Motorsports applications you really have to use Rechargable NIMH or Lithium batteries as standard alkaline batteries suffer Voltage Drop or Failure caused by vibrations.

The camera itself performed magically. The quality is very acceptable (especially for a unit that is no bigger than my fist) and the sound is very clear (note: First two clips, the sound was incorrectly setup so it aint to good - however in the third you will notice it is much clearer)

These are really the only two things to be aware of, sound setting (HI or LO) and Batteries. I managed to get a good 20mins of recording from a set of Energizer Advanced (Alkaline) before they shat their pants.

Anyhow, to the good stuff.....

Facing backwards on the R6 @ MotoTT (Skip in about a minute, sorry haven't edited this one)
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jCkuU6LTRnI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Facing backwards on the RS250 @ MotoTT (Skip in about a minute, sorry haven't edited this one either)

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/izdgzcp3pbQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Facing backwards on the RS250 through the city

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OcOUchKHG_Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Price: $300 including a 2GB SD card (max capacity for this unit)

This was from a bike shop in Wellington. You could probably pick it up online cheaper. SD cards are cheap as shit these days.

Keep in mind the above videos are on youtube so the quality has stepped down a few stages.

Summary:

Pros:
- Light/Small
- Waterproof/Submergable (to 30m)
- Compact
- Price
- Ease of use

Cons:
- Batteries (initially)

cs363
10th July 2008, 18:51
I've got one of these and think its a bloody awesome little unit, as unrealone says you definitely need to get the decent batteries and also remember that it will only take a 2Gb SD card, so don't bother trying anything bigger as they will not work.
There is also an optional bar/frame clamp available for about $20 which comes in handy.
The NZ importer is actually Race Tech in Wellington (the auto racing shop) I got mine direct from them and the guys were very helpful and gave me all the set up advice and info on batteries/SD cards etc at time of purchase so I didn't have to suffer the learning curve as above.
The video quality on PC or TV is awesome for the size of the unit. With decent batteries you can get almost an hour of video, the unit also takes still shots and can be programmed to take a still shot every few seconds (variable, depending on what you select) all in all exceptional value and really handy.
Given that the US price is approx $240 plus shipping I can't see any advantage to buying off the net - at least if you buy it locally you shouldn't run into any warranty issues etc if needed.

NordieBoy
10th July 2008, 19:33
I'm tempted to try one of these but the shape and lack of battery life are worries.

cs363
10th July 2008, 19:37
I'm tempted to try one of these but the shape and lack of battery life are worries.

battery life is no problem with LiMh or NiMh batteries, just Alkaline's which isn't unusual for cameras. The shape can be awkward at times for sure, but it is really small (about the size of a couple of match boxes)

unrealone
11th July 2008, 07:36
I've got one of these and think its a bloody awesome little unit, as unrealone says you definitely need to get the decent batteries and also remember that it will only take a 2Gb SD card, so don't bother trying anything bigger as they will not work.
There is also an optional bar/frame clamp available for about $20 which comes in handy.
The NZ importer is actually Race Tech in Wellington (the auto racing shop) I got mine direct from them and the guys were very helpful and gave me all the set up advice and info on batteries/SD cards etc at time of purchase so I didn't have to suffer the learning curve as above.
The video quality on PC or TV is awesome for the size of the unit. With decent batteries you can get almost an hour of video, the unit also takes still shots and can be programmed to take a still shot every few seconds (variable, depending on what you select) all in all exceptional value and really handy.
Given that the US price is approx $240 plus shipping I can't see any advantage to buying off the net - at least if you buy it locally you shouldn't run into any warranty issues etc if needed.

yea, go pro support pointed me towards race tech when i asked about extra mounts. good to know they are local for me! :eek:

will be definitely going to see them for more mounts soon.

and size wise, these would fit almost anywhere, that Oregon bullet camera couldn't do much better IMO with fitting :)

NordieBoy
11th July 2008, 07:54
battery life is no problem with LiMh or NiMh batteries, just Alkaline's which isn't unusual for cameras. The shape can be awkward at times for sure, but it is really small (about the size of a couple of match boxes)

How long battery life?
I get over 3 hours out of the Oregon which is just enough for a 3 hour crosscountry.

unrealone
11th July 2008, 08:26
How long battery life?
I get over 3 hours out of the Oregon which is just enough for a 3 hour crosscountry.

But from memory the video quality is no where as good, and you'd need to be switching SD cards at some point anyway? Or does it take more than 2GB cards?

With NIMH Rechargeables or Lithium batteries you'd get about an hour from the GoPro.

The other advantage with the GoPro is the mounting system, I don't remember exactly but the Oregon camera doesn't come with any mounting system does it?

I think they've honestly aimed this camera at the motorsport enthusiast rather than cross country recording. Definitely having to switch batteries every hour would be rather frustrating over long distance.

k14
11th July 2008, 09:00
The oregon has a pretty good mounting system. Comes with 3 or 4 different mounts. Goes on my handlebars sweet as but yes the quality is no where near as good as the go pro. The battery life is way better than 1 hour though, I'm still on my first set of batteries (just alkaline ones too).

Here is a video I took off it. The initial quality was slightly better because I compressed to wmv before I uploaded it:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-S_0k6PVavA&hl=ja&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-S_0k6PVavA&hl=ja&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

NordieBoy
11th July 2008, 09:49
But from memory the video quality is no where as good, and you'd need to be switching SD cards at some point anyway? Or does it take more than 2GB cards?

With NIMH Rechargeables or Lithium batteries you'd get about an hour from the GoPro.

The other advantage with the GoPro is the mounting system, I don't remember exactly but the Oregon camera doesn't come with any mounting system does it?

I think they've honestly aimed this camera at the motorsport enthusiast rather than cross country recording. Definitely having to switch batteries every hour would be rather frustrating over long distance.
At YouTube quality (320x200) it'll get 3 hours on a 2Gb card.
It comes with heaps of mounting options but I made my own helmet mount.

I don't think it would work at MX and Cross Countries with the GoPro sticking out even further :(