PDA

View Full Version : Head-of-the-queue for you

bungbung
10th July 2008, 14:43
I like this idea:

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/spain-front-row-seats-for-motorcycles.htm

firefighter
10th July 2008, 14:45
wow innovative thinking- that'll definately never ever happen here.

fireball
10th July 2008, 14:47
thats an awesome idea:niceone:... pitty the gubberment will never do it.

Mikkel
10th July 2008, 14:48
wow innovative thinking- that'll definately never ever happen here.

It's already here mate - there's usually a pedestrian crossing noone is using anyway since people in NZ don't walk anywhere.

disenfranchised
10th July 2008, 15:04
thats an awesome idea:niceone:... pitty the gubberment will never do it.

It's already in place here
Gt North Rd at the Pt Chev instersection

I think I've seen another one somewhere too

wysper
10th July 2008, 17:55
would it be illegal for a motocycle to be in the place the do reserve for cyclists at the front of the queue?

Mikkel
10th July 2008, 18:11
would it be illegal for a motocycle to be in the place the do reserve for cyclists at the front of the queue?

Dunno - but I certainly have no qualms about using the bike lanes if there are no bikes in the way.

firefighter
10th July 2008, 19:29

surely it is........

ZK-Awesome
10th July 2008, 20:55
Don't they do this in Taiwan as well? I thought I saw it in one of mordeth13's videos...?

Horse
12th July 2008, 13:20
Based on current trends in oil prices, I think you can safely extrapolate that the bike/car ratio on NZ roads is going to increase over the next decade or so. And in the big urban centres I think it's likely that a significant proportion of those bikes will actually be scooters.

The inevitable result of this will be an increase in accidents suffered by scooter riders. This will lead to two things IMO: an increase in the legally required safety apparel worn by scooter & M/C riders (ie not just a helmet), and an increase in roading provisions like this following the outcry by all the formerly cage-driving scooter riders who start becoming aware of the hazardous state of our roads.

raftn
12th July 2008, 17:10
THat is far to good an idea to take off here. Far to practical and it would promote motorcycling! Well done the spanish though. Wish we had the balls to do things like that here.

Swoop
12th July 2008, 17:14
It is already here!!!

There are green boxes painted at the head of the queue for bikes. Use them as such! (I always do).

Coyote
12th July 2008, 18:10
I could see these boxes appearing 20 meters away from the lights. "Bikes must not go further until lights turn green".

musicman
12th July 2008, 21:24
Don't they do this in Taiwan as well? I thought I saw it in one of mordeth13's videos...?

Yeah I was gonna say, Taiwan has had these for as long as I can remember. Bikes/scooters also use these when turning left (they drive on the right there), instead of waiting in the middle of the intersection for a gap in the oncoming traffic to turn left, they just go to the right and wait for a green light to go straight..... yes it sounds confusing, sorry, I just don't know how to describe it better, maybe I'll draw up a diagram when I can be bothered.

swbarnett
12th July 2008, 22:40
Yeah I was gonna say, Taiwan has had these for as long as I can remember. Bikes/scooters also use these when turning left (they drive on the right there), instead of waiting in the middle of the intersection for a gap in the oncoming traffic to turn left, they just go to the right and wait for a green light to go straight.....
I believe some of the inner city intersections in Melbourne use this strategy for all vehicles.

I just don't know how to describe it better, maybe I'll draw up a diagram when I can be bothered.
I thought I'd save you the trouble. The left one is for left hand drive (left turn), the right one is how it would be in NZ (right turn):

cowboyz
12th July 2008, 22:46
wouldnt putting the bikes right at the front of the queue put them in more danger from those who are goign striaght through and carry on even though the green turned red 4 cars ago.

offrd
13th July 2008, 22:07
Imagine the stink the 4 wheel public would kick up!