PDA

View Full Version : Mt Eden Motorcycles - good?

Antallica
30th August 2003, 11:35
Hey guys, I got woken up @ 10am (yes I'm still in bed then :p ) by Richard @ Mt Eden Motorcycles.... he must have seen my ads for my FXR, he seemed very interested in buying my cycle off me. This is about the best break I've had yet, might see what they can offer.

Anyone dealt with them before?

CK that ZXR might be mine yet! :D

MikeL
30th August 2003, 12:10
I have dealt with them for parts and service and have been quite impressed, but never bought or sold a bike through them so don't know about that side. The people I have dealt with seemed competent, knowledgeable and fair.

wkid_one
30th August 2003, 13:34
BLOODY GOOD

Andrew
30th August 2003, 13:44
Friendly guys, best in the business!

Antallica
30th August 2003, 14:06
Sweet, gave him a ring back. He wants be to bring her round, so I'll do that this week sometime when I can get down to Aucks :)

:rockon:

CK, am I able to still get a viewing/test ride?

fergie
30th August 2003, 14:51
all i can say is that the first time i walked onto his yard he strolled out and offered me a coffee, then basically left me to it but was friendly and not high pressure, i would go back.

ferg

jrandom
30th August 2003, 16:43
Spoke to them a while back about swapping my FXR for a ZXR250 (mmmmm...)

Very nice guys from what I could tell. They were quite accommodating about letting me take the Kwak in question for a decent rark, too :D

(FWIW, I decided in the end to just live with my sins and keep the FXR until I get my full license...)

Still, if you're only going to be selling your bike to them, I'd imagine all you care about is what price they give you, no? If I was selling my bike, the buyers could be professional baby-rapers for all I'd care, so long as they gave me the price I wanted :p

Antallica
30th August 2003, 17:05
I'd just sell it to them, he said he has heaps of 250's and would be willing to 'trade'. I'm sure that would be meaning give us the bike and like $1000 extra and we'll give you a 250. Blow that.

Unless of course I can do a straight swap/trade for a mint 250cc or something.

Big Dog
30th August 2003, 17:13
You will always get more privately, they are in business to make money. having said that if they already have a buyer they will be able to pay more.

jrandom
30th August 2003, 17:20
Originally posted by Antallica
I'd just sell it to them, he said he has heaps of 250's and would be willing to 'trade'. I'm sure that would be meaning give us the bike and like $1000 extra and we'll give you a 250. Blow that.

Heh. $1000 extra? You'll be lucky. More like $3000 extra, if you're looking at a 250 with a sticker price of $5K or so (which is at the low end of what they seem to want for import CBR/FZR/ZXRs etc). You'll be lucky to squeeze 2 grand out of a dealer for an FXR. Buying and selling bikes privately is almost always a better proposition (unless you're a rich bastard and you can afford new models out of the showroom, in which case you can feck *right* off :p)

What do you want to sell the FXR for, anyway? Be like me and stay on it until you have a full license and can afford a proper bike, you big pansy :D A second-hand 600 bought privately shouldn't set you back much more than the dealer price on a 250cc import.

Big Dog
30th August 2003, 17:54
Originally posted by jrandom
:D A second-hand 600 bought privately shouldn't set you back much more than the dealer price on a 250cc import.

Been trying to find a Large chassis 250 for the mrs and unless you are buying brand new you will pay more in most cases than you would for a 600 without the r's in their name. Due to 250's being a license requirement they are harder to come by in good nick. Eleven years ago when I bought my first 250 I paid $1500 through a dealer with a free helmet (Yamaha XS250RK 85).

Saw one same make model and year in the Motorcycle trader for $2500, go figure. eleven years older with probably 100,000 more k's and dropped a couple of times no doubt with a top speed (with tailwind) 160kmph, and due to carb setup headwind top speed of 90kmph. Good learners bike though good strong tranny almost bulletproof engine, forgiving geometry.

250cc and lower really only drop in value as their appearance does, due to the neccesity to get a licence.

Anyone knowing of a large framed, mechanically sound 250cc selling in the below $1500 mark can pm me.

Antallica
30th August 2003, 18:22
Yeah I wasn't going to buy from a dealer. They are a rip, however if I get the right price for my FXR and if ColdKiwi still has his ZXR then I might have a different bike when the next BBQ comes around :D

I hope I can get $2500 for it at least, they must have seen my ads on the net and I was advertising it for $2800 or in some places $2500. He must have gotten my cell number off one of the ads I posted around.

Wonder if it was the T&E he saw it on.

Antallica
30th August 2003, 18:24
Originally posted by jrandom
Heh. $1000 extra? You'll be lucky. More like $3000 extra, if you're looking at a 250 with a sticker price of $5K or so (which is at the low end of what they seem to want for import CBR/FZR/ZXRs etc). You'll be lucky to squeeze 2 grand out of a dealer for an FXR. Buying and selling bikes privately is almost always a better proposition (unless you're a rich bastard and you can afford new models out of the showroom, in which case you can feck *right* off :p)

What do you want to sell the FXR for, anyway? Be like me and stay on it until you have a full license and can afford a proper bike, you big pansy :D A second-hand 600 bought privately shouldn't set you back much more than the dealer price on a 250cc import.

The other guy with the FXR here was offered $3,000 for his from a dealer, and it was missing a mirror and had marks on his fairings :p

I'd love to keep this bike but... ahh no!! :D

More Power!! *grunt*

P.S.. I hope they 'aint reading this :o

Kwaka-Kid
31st August 2003, 00:37
Like others have said, they are in the business to make money ,and mike and chris etc are sure as hell nice guys, however they are still businessmen :)

but i must admit they go VERY well about it all, despite knowing this etc i always come out of there with a smile on my face feeling special etc etc, just by simple techniques of adressing the customer by his/her name, and cutting small deals etc.  its what its all about and im often willing to pay their comission for the happy feeling i get when i walk in/out :) bloody nice blokes! and whoevers in their next tell chris logan says sorry for not bringing the RVF clutch cable in sooner but i been flat out :)

georgedubyabush
31st August 2003, 09:38
Originally posted by Antallica
Sweet, gave him a ring back. He wants be to bring her round, so I'll do that this week sometime when I can get down to Aucks :)

you should at least get a ballpark figure from him before taking it all the way down there, else you could be very dissapointed, and a wasted trip.

Antallica
31st August 2003, 13:51
Originally posted by georgedubyabush
you should at least get a ballpark figure from him before taking it all the way down there, else you could be very dissapointed, and a wasted trip.

Ahh I'll be going to see the Grandparents & have a test ride of CK's ZXR250 hopefully.. wouldn't mind the trip either way.

Coldkiwi
1st September 2003, 11:14
yeah, i've always been pretty impressed with Mike and Chris (who's richard? I know carl is the other sales dude). They treat you with respect and are willing to do some really good deals.

The workshop service is generally pretty good and will try and accommodate you. I know Dave had an issue with them a while ago (how did that get resolved in the end dave?) but they've always been fairly straight up with me.

Having dealt with a few other stores I've always liked their attitude and have had very little reason to want to go anywhere else.

BEST POINT: They're open till 7pm monday to Thursday and 6pm on Friday and still open till about 3pm on the weekends.

aff-man
1st September 2003, 11:17
Yip havn't had problems with them and are pretty good with deals :niceone:

Dave
2nd September 2003, 18:25
yeah, i had an issue with a chain, I'm a bit suspect of their w/shop.
I actually ended up selling my GSXR to them outright, good quick sale and the price was right, only thing was they tried it on a bit as far as '-oh,it needs tyres and brakes and...' I just said that i'll go away and sort it if they give me the price i wanted and they backed down and gave me the price anyway.
if they're calling you, i'd say you should get good money for it-and they're serious,not tyre kickers.
remember one real buyers worth 50 tyre kickers.

Antallica
2nd September 2003, 18:55
Yeah but I cannot find a decent bike for the money I'll have... I'll just end up keeping it.

Oh well, I'll just take it down anyway and see what they offer.