PDA

View Full Version : Woo-hoo, first-time euphoria...

Mencius
9th January 2005, 18:14
Yeehah! Finally convinced my friend who is currently sheltering my motorcycle to let me try riding it :shifty:
So after a few turns around the washing line once we finally got over the little stalling issue we were ready to hit the carpark at work.
What a fun hour and a half! Thoughtfully placed traffic islands for extra steering practice and a drive long enough to hit third gear :eek:
It amazes me how far one can come in a very short amount time, considering that was my first ever ride on a motorcycle!
Can't wait to get out again :niceone:

Ang, buzzing...

avgas
9th January 2005, 18:17
great to hear.
Yeh we all wait for the next time :eek:

MSTRS
9th January 2005, 18:20
Good on you....take care & it just gets better

magnum
9th January 2005, 18:30
well done,once hooked always hooked :niceone:

Riff Raff
9th January 2005, 18:30
Yay :banana: :banana: :banana: :spudbooge

Storm
9th January 2005, 18:50
Well done mate, give it heaps :cool:

Ghost Lemur
9th January 2005, 18:55
Congrats Mencius.

You always remember your first time. :msn-wink:

Mencius
9th January 2005, 19:10
Avgas: At least untill we've been doing it for however many years in the Palmerston North rain! Bearing in mind I'll be doing a daily commute.

MSTRS: Yeah, I noted that things got better when I had my second riding lesson. Just as well really or I would've given up this notion quite a while ago!

Stevezxr6: I've been hooked for years as a pillion. I don't get to go out often enough though, so the only cure was to learn to ride myself :2thumbsup

Everybody: Woo-hoo :ride:

Ang, still overexcited

sels1
9th January 2005, 19:17
Well done Mencius. And it just gets better

StoneChucker
9th January 2005, 20:15
It's nice to see such enthusiasm! :2thumbsup As with some people, my first time wasn't quite so much fun. I felt a bit rushed, I had to perform first time or pay again!!! And I had no choice but to succeed, since I was buying a bike the following day. Oh, just to clarify things, my first time was on my basic handling skills course hahhaha :shutup:

Have fun on your bike, and ride safe. Here's to seeing you out riding sometime (look out for organised rides, there's lots of them, err, if it EVER stops bloody raining)

Dave.

Mencius
9th January 2005, 20:42
It's nice to see such enthusiasm! :2thumbsup As with some people, my first time wasn't quite so much fun. I felt a bit rushed, I had to perform first time or pay again!!! And I had no choice but to succeed, since I was buying a bike the following day. Oh, just to clarify things, my first time was on my basic handling skills course hahhaha :shutup:

Have fun on your bike, and ride safe. Here's to seeing you out riding sometime (look out for organised rides, there's lots of them, err, if it EVER stops bloody raining)

Dave.

Cheers :-)

I have the dread handling certificate on Saturday, and I bought the motorcycle a couple of weeks ago. Needless to say I have been champing at the bit to get on it!
That said I've had three hour and a half lessons riding a scooter thingy, which were really good for my confidence and basic handling (the first lesson sucked though, or I did.....).
Anyway, I can't wait to get back out there and practice some more, and get those gear changes a bit smoother :cool: Perhaps a little less neutral when looking for second methinks (which is funny 'cos my *rider* and I find it damn hard to find neutral when we actually *want* it).

Ang, yup, still excited...

StoneChucker
9th January 2005, 20:48
Saturday hey? I guess your learners won't be to far after that? Don't worry, you'll be fine. I always worry, and it's NEVER that bad (basic skills, learners, restricted and full licence test). Just relax, and know that if you can do it on your own, you CAN do it on the test. Just the mind to overcome if anything.

If you've got some extra cash to spend, give Andrew Templeton at Roadsafe a call, and ask him about the CBTA course. He's a top bloke, and if you're over 25, you could have your full licence in a couple of weeks :soon:, doing everything through him thereby bypassing the sometimes scary LTSA test officers.

Keep us posted, and some pics of the bike too :done:
Good luck,
Dave.

Mr Skid
9th January 2005, 20:54
Cheers :-)

I have the dread handling certificate on Saturday, and I bought the motorcycle a couple of weeks ago. Needless to say I have been champing at the bit to get on it!
That said I've had three hour and a half lessons riding a scooter thingy, which were really good for my confidence and basic handling (the first lesson sucked though, or I did.....).
Anyway, I can't wait to get back out there and practice some more, and get those gear changes a bit smoother :cool: Perhaps a little less neutral when looking for second methinks (which is funny 'cos my *rider* and I find it damn hard to find neutral when we actually *want* it).
Basic handling skill is easy.

I hadn't ridden a bike before, and pulled an unintentional wheelie on a gn125 while sitting mine and passed.

You'll be fine.

Mencius
9th January 2005, 21:00
Saturday hey? I guess your learners won't be to far after that? Don't worry, you'll be fine.

If you've got some extra cash to spend, give Andrew Templeton at Roadsafe a call.

Keep us posted, and some pics of the bike too :done:
Good luck,
Dave.

I anticipate it'll be on the Monday..... :msn-wink:
I must say after my last lesson my confidence soared about my ability to pass the handling certificate, once I mastered them goddam staggered cones!

Is Roadsafe Wellington based?

I'll post pics when I have done some judicious editing.

Ang

StoneChucker
9th January 2005, 21:07
Roadsafe is Wellington based, and I think there are VERY few LTSA licenced instructers able to offer the CBTA course. If you'd like the contact details, PM me, or they should be in the phone book.

Or if you're interested, ring an LTSA office, and ask the whereabouts of the nearest CBTA approved instructer. But it's a trial course, so might not last forever.

Will
9th January 2005, 21:19
Join The Club. The feelings never wear off. Always fun. And the people you meet!
Go for it.!

Hooks
9th January 2005, 21:21
Well done !!! ....... *passes Ang a vodka* :2thumbsup

Now all you have to do is ride ride ride !! :ride: :ride: :ride:

It becomes addictive but like this site is a healthy addiction .... so get out relax and enjoy !! :wavey: :yeah:

Mencius
9th January 2005, 21:46
Well done !!! ....... *passes Ang a vodka* :2thumbsup

Now all you have to do is ride ride ride !! :ride: :ride: :ride:

It becomes addictive but like this site is a healthy addiction .... so get out relax and enjoy !! :wavey: :yeah:

Mmm, vodka..thanks for that :-)

Yup, I can see I'll need another job so I can afford petrol! I feel I may be using quote a bit sooner rather than later.....

Ang

toads
10th January 2005, 07:46
fantastic feeling eh, I remember my first ride on a bike clearly. and as others have said it justs gets better!, btw, the learning never stops either!

inlinefour
28th January 2005, 01:43
Welcome and enjoy :banana: