PDA

View Full Version : BMW parts: Cheaper in NZ than in Germany?

Matsche
13th July 2008, 04:43
Hello folks,
time goes by and I'm about to ship my stuff from Germany to NZ by the end of the month.
My GS 1200 comes with me. As I know, you have this bike in NZ running too.
I'm wondering if it makes sence for me to bring (spare-) parts, like filters, brake linings with me or is it cheaper to buy them in NZ instead?

I guess, every German who came over before me should have been able to compare prices before and could tell me???

Thx, and see you in the New Plymouth/Taranaki area - sooner or later ...

Juergen

BASS-TREBLE
13th July 2008, 11:25
Hey Juergen.

My dad brought his 11gs with him 8 years ago and the parts are easy to get hold of, I don't know about prices but will ask when I see him next. You may have problems with your headlights as they have to shine more to the left, which is the opposite to germany. A new one cost around $3-400 for the 11gs but I don't know about yours as you have dual lights.

B-T

geoffm
13th July 2008, 12:18
In my experience, (genuine) BMW parts are around 20-30% more expensive here than in the UK or against prices I checked at Siebenrock.de.
Bring the Beemer, and bring spare parts. Getting bits here is ok, although not much is held in stock, and there is a price premium.
I can order stuff from Motoworks and have it here in 5 days, landed for 20% less than the NZ price for the same part. Stuff ordered by BMW NZ in takes 3 weeks, so it seems silly to pay more and wait longer.
Geoff

offrd
13th July 2008, 23:03
I get my bits from motorworks in the UK......

Make sure your headlight shines down to the left on low beam or no WOF for you... may be cheaper to get the LHD lights over there?

gunnyrob
14th July 2008, 09:54
Just had some major work done on the R1200GS, cost a bomb.:eek5:

Parts fricken expensive here and as said previously, takes about 3 weeks to arrive

Beemer
16th July 2008, 10:29
My husband buys virtually all his BMW parts through the UK as they work out about 30% cheaper, even with freight.

geoffm
18th July 2008, 20:18
My husband buys virtually all his BMW parts through the UK as they work out about 30% cheaper, even with freight.

Yup, this price premium is why my next bike won't be another Beemer, adn I am happy to tell them so as well.
Sherlocks and Motobins are 2 othe rUK BMW parts suppliers. There is also the Beemerboneyard wreckers in the US, and Victorian MC Wreckers in Oz also often have BMW parts.

Pedrostt500
18th July 2008, 20:56
My exsperience is those horibble three little letters will be exspensive regardless where you get your parts in NZ.

Owl
18th July 2008, 22:16
When I was recently in Oz, I picked up a BMW fuel filter for my Triumph for less than half the cost of a genuine Triumph filter.