PDA

View Full Version : Auckland: Backroads to Puhoi - Gravel roads ride

Qkchk
13th July 2008, 11:06
Anyone interested in getting some gravel road riding practice today? Just a ride from Albany up to Puhoi via the back road for a cold one :drinkup. I wanna go out but dont fancy going by myself :o Qkkid reckons his neck hurts to much to go for a ride with me .... :blink:

Looking at doing this after lunch, 2pm?

NOTE: Ride suitable for Trail / Adventure only

Will check back after 12pm, just doing some bitchwork around the house....

Devil
13th July 2008, 11:13
If ya twist Steve's arm into lending me his DR... :2thumbsup

I haven't got my new tyres yet :(

Devil
13th July 2008, 12:31
Away from PC for the afternoon.
021 414 194.

Qkchk
13th July 2008, 13:06
If ya twist Steve's arm into lending me his DR... :2thumbsup

I haven't got my new tyres yet :(

Steve managed to say yes after the finger pointing on this thread, offer to on for anyone who wants to tag along. Looking at 2-2.30pm departure Albany.

Qkchk
13th July 2008, 13:19
This just in:

Leaving Shell Albany @ 2.30pm. Plan on doing back roads up to Puhoi and maybe get some photos of the Northern Motorway new viaduct...... :shifty:

tate35
13th July 2008, 13:38
This just in:

Leaving Shell Albany @ 2.30pm. Plan on doing back roads up to Puhoi and maybe get some photos of the Northern Motorway new viaduct...... :shifty:
If I lived in Auckland and had my learners I'd be keen. When I lived in Auckland I was pillion a couple of times from West Auckland to Puhoi, great ride, great pub, great day out. Hope you have a blast :woohoo:

Big Dave
13th July 2008, 20:02
What time did you get to the pub qkness?

I went from Kaukop to Puhoi and only did 5 km of seal. Mintestness roads for the tractor.

Devil
13th July 2008, 20:09
Musta been 4pm we got to the pub. It was a little interesting doing it on a set of BT090's that would be more suited to the race track then slippery dirt roads!

Big Dave
13th July 2008, 20:32
Half an hour ahead of you.

6 months time the tyres won't make any difference to you.

Qkchk
14th July 2008, 08:03
Musta been 4pm we got to the pub. It was a little interesting doing it on a set of BT090's that would be more suited to the race track then slippery dirt roads!

Kahunas the size of basketballs!

Devil
14th July 2008, 08:17
Half an hour ahead of you.

6 months time the tyres won't make any difference to you.

I'd agree with the back tyre, but errr, not the front! (assuming the road is dry) The BT090 is completely smooth around the center, so is quite unstable!

Big Dave
14th July 2008, 12:01
Unless you put some kind of knobby on it - it don't make a 'whole lot' of difference.

Obviously an aggressive cut tread is of some benefit, but largely road tyres is road tyres on a dirt road.

Devil
14th July 2008, 12:03
Fairy nuff. Being a dirt noob I'll take any confidence boost I can get though!
Was looking at these: http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/content/catalogueViewEntry.aspx?profilePK=all&entryPK=2164
At least some improvement on the wet dirt a bit where the current tyres were the most useless. Dry packed surface was ok.
It's either those or the Avon Distanzia supermoto's

Devil
14th July 2008, 12:06
Distanzia's: :mellow:

Qkchk
14th July 2008, 12:14
Wonder if its worth while bring this up as a new topic in the Adventure Forum Devil? Those guys there really know their tyres.....

Devil
14th July 2008, 12:16
Yer, already have. It's down near the bottom of the first page. Seems to be between those two tyres. Pirelli's for $450 from 'treads and the Avons from Motohaus, but not sure on price.

Qkchk
14th July 2008, 12:19
Yer, already have. It's down near the bottom of the first page. Seems to be between those two tyres. Pirelli's for $450 from 'treads and the Avons from Motohaus, but not sure on price.

Tell Kerry not to be a tight arse and Hi from me. ;)

Big Dave
14th July 2008, 13:13
Yeah the distanzas are better than a slick - well regarded - and not as good as a knobby.

In conditions like yesterday they don't make much difference. Wetter and slicker they do.

Unlike a lot of the ADV set I quite like Trail Wings too.

The issue isn't the tread - it's the tyre profile - A square profile and edge knobs create their own 'berm'.

A round road profile rolls over the top.