PDA

View Full Version : 14 year old bored with XR 100....

Voltaire
13th July 2008, 14:33
I bought my son a '96 xr 100 last year to learn on. After learning to ride it he has done three MR trail, and two Powers rides.
On Friday we went to the Sandpit and I thought this will be interesting....
We only did the yellow circuits and the super bowl but he did it all no trouble.
I was the one who fell off the most.
Then is was " the bike is too small, no power, the suspension is horrible and the wheels are too small"
Time to move on I thought, I gave him a spin around the carpark area on my KDX 200...." to high and a bit big"
Without breaking the bank what would be a good next move. Would a KX 125 be too much? or maybe a XR 200...?
A slightly smaller less powerful version of the KDX200 me thinks...
He is nearly 14, 54 kgs and 1.7 metres tall.
Thanks for any advice.

dino3310
13th July 2008, 14:50
CRF230, or maybe a 125 twosmoker.
he could learn to ride the taller bike's there's a lot of shorties riding mx bike's.

FROSTY
13th July 2008, 15:01
The KDX 125 sounds like its a perfect fit for him.
plenty of pep and propper suspension

dino3310
13th July 2008, 15:18
ahhh the KDX i forgot about that one, great step up for any young rider

FROSTY
13th July 2008, 15:27
Just a thought. How about adjusting the kdx a bit for him?
drop the front through the tripples etc--maybee then you'll be able to get YOU a new bike :woohoo:
Advantage being as he gets better /taller you just ease it back up to full height

CB ARGH
13th July 2008, 15:33
I used to ride an XR100R, I went up to an XR200 from that bike. Worked a treat. I was about his age at that time.

B0000M
13th July 2008, 16:59
CRF250x, just got one a few weeks ago for the mrs to ride on, shes only about 5'3, dont know how many cm that is, lowered it a tad, cut the seat down a bit and shes loving it, addded bonus of electric start and it can be modded to suit her ability

Voltaire
13th July 2008, 17:07
Just a thought. How about adjusting the kdx a bit for him?
drop the front through the tripples etc--maybee then you'll be able to get YOU a new bike :woohoo:
Advantage being as he gets better /taller you just ease it back up to full height

Good idea...but I actually like the KDX, I've never done dirt before only ( very old) Dukes and Beemers, it's really just something we can do together and have some fun, plus he learns some useful skills.
Can you restrict the power output as well as the height?
cheers

quallman1234
13th July 2008, 17:32
Good idea...but I actually like the KDX, I've never done dirt before only ( very old) Dukes and Beemers, it's really just something we can do together and have some fun, plus he learns some useful skills.
Can you restrict the power output as well as the height?
cheers

You can put a washer or something similar at the flange of the chamber and also weight the flywheel. I have a kdx200 and need to lower it some because im a short arse and keep dropping it in silly places.

FROSTY
13th July 2008, 17:33
Sorry mate can't advise on that one--anythings possible I guess

T.W.R
13th July 2008, 17:42
The KDX 125 sounds like its a perfect fit for him.
plenty of pep and propper suspension

:oi-grr: KDX125's are crap bikes. Brittle gearboxes and hard to source info & parts for.
A XR200 or CRF230 is a far better step from the XR100.

theblacksmith
13th July 2008, 22:27
KX125 - nice and light -and you can adjust the power valves as well.

Reckless
14th July 2008, 11:54
There's also the crf 150 and the new race based crf 150r with USD forks etc. Seat height probably in between the 100 hes got and your KDX. Been looking at crf150 for my young fella not to bad. The electric starter model starts from 2006 if you want this to help him get going when he falls off. I think Kawasaki have a 140 as well 5k new.

Just a few ideas in between what has been suggested here if he doesn't fit a 230.

noobi
14th July 2008, 12:50
ive got a 05 crf150f for sale for $3500 ono, it was used by me, so never been thrashed, never raced and thats what i had after my xr100, and its perfect not to heavy and has aright suspension not too tall.

mc4aregreat
15th July 2008, 22:06
We went through a similar thing with an xr200 for a 14 yr learner. Dont' worry about how much power because the kids usually only ride to there skill, and too much power was never a problem,that is until they get bored with the bike and start trashing the hell out of them until Dad buys a new better one. My only regret is i couldnt afford a Honda CRF230 at the time, but now they have been around a while they are more affordable. A 14 yr old will get more than his moneys worth(or dads) and will still be ok for when they get older and faster.(scary!!).
As for the XR200, its been a brilliant bike considering the trashing it has had and is now finishing off its days with son # 2

Pierce
16th July 2008, 11:19
:oi-grr: KDX125's are crap bikes. Brittle gearboxes and hard to source info & parts for.
A XR200 or CRF230 is a far better step from the XR100.

Yeah stick with Honda's :stupid:

Teh 230's are a smaller frame than the 250's which might suit and will have enough balls for trail riding etc. If you want somoething he can grow into I'd suggest maybe going for a honda CRF250X. Detuned from the 250R's so more torque and low/mid range power. Heaps more adjustments to the suspension then the 230 and something you can grow into.

I went from an XR100 to an XR200 which is a mint bike. Can beat the indestructable XR's for a reliable work horse

B0000M
16th July 2008, 11:43
as i said in an earlier post, i got a CRF250x for the mrs, droped the forks down an inch, wound down the rear spring and cut the seat down until she gets the hang of it, and shes real short, i think 5'2 or 5'3, and she's only learning and just winds the throttle as far as she feels comfortable, the advantage of a bike like the CRF250X is that it has the potential to grow into whatever area of the sport it needs to, it with a few mods can be a competitive race machine, but just as easily can be a farm bike or a trail or enduro bike or road bike. it kinda covers all bases

noobi
16th July 2008, 11:46
also the 250x has the electric start so it wouldnt be as hard to start, always a bonus:rolleyes:

mattwood
16th July 2008, 16:13
I got my bike when i was 14, its a KX125. It was my third bike.. once I got over the height issue i was away, the 125 has heaps of power down low because of the power valve.. the only problem that i found was when i was just learning on the 2 smoker and just putting around in and out of power band it tended to flow plugs abit.. so just send him out with a box of spark plugs and a spanner and he'll be right at any trail ride ;)

Now im loving the 125, nothings better because its so light, and easy to push up muddy hills :scooter: also 125s are meant to be great for improving corner speed, and they are great for learning to jump.

what ever you do, just stay japanese or european :niceone:

xr-rider
16th July 2008, 17:16
You can put a washer or something similar at the flange of the chamber and also weight the flywheel. I have a kdx200 and need to lower it some because im a short arse and keep dropping it in silly places.

You could just sell it to me

xr-rider
16th July 2008, 17:18
Im 14 and im selling my XR200 twin carb if your willing to come down to kapiti to pick it up, it comes with spare back tire, brake pads, helmet and gloves for $1500. im looking at a kdx200

Pedrostt500
16th July 2008, 18:05
DR 200 is a nice medium sized dirt bike,