PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha DT230. Anybody know anything about these bikes?

BRY
9th January 2005, 20:04
:confused:I'm looking for a bike for adventure riding ie. Mike brittons' and also one that will handle say a trip around Coromandel and the odd soft trail ride. My experience is not that great. Have tried a few bikes now and I like the dt230.
Anybody know anything about these bikes??????

Motu
9th January 2005, 20:25
I've been looking at getting one myself,they seem like just the ticket for me.A bit weighty for a 2 stroke,but still lighter than most 4 stroke 250s,fairly low seat for a dirt bike - and hey,electric start! They have some form of traction control that I think retards the ign when pulling hard at low rpm.I don't think the suspn is too hot,but it has compression and rebound adjust front and rear,knob for rear rebound,the front has preload too - so it's not TS185 stuff.40hp,that's healthy grunt,more than a KDX and more than a 250 4 stroke,I'm told they fair haul arse.I can find none for sale in Auckland,but there are 4 down in the Wellington area,DZL here,or Diesel as he is known has one in NP,he reckons it's the bees knees.If we get our Auck trail ride happening CRF230FRide is going to bring one along,then I'll get to try one out.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/motor/images/models/30/30_01_1l.jpg

Wellyman
10th January 2005, 14:17
They are great bikes. Bit heavy as Motu said due to the steel tank but very reliabble and good power.I need a date for the KB dirt ride! it can be found it the meetings forum.

clint640
11th January 2005, 11:50
Good bike I reckon, My experience of the Britton rides is that they're more like a trail ride with some road sections so if you don't have a lot of dirt experience a lightish bike like the 230 would be a good choice.

Cheers
Clint

XTC
23rd January 2005, 19:01
Another optin might be the Gas Gas pampera..... But then it's only got a stupid little 6 litre tank, bit small for a 250 2 stroke i think.

Motu
23rd January 2005, 19:33
The DT230 has a 6 litre tank too,some planning would be needed for a long road ride.Had a sit on a Pampera yesterday - I'm in love!! It's probably the perfect bike for me...except for the money part,being someone who likes tricky as opposed to fast it's right up my alley.I was amazed at how low it seemed,it felt like all the weight was below my knees,a super light trials like clutch,trick stuff everywhere.I don't want to go near it again...fits me like a glove and stuff like that...

XTC
23rd January 2005, 19:41
The DT230 has a 6 litre tank too,some planning would be needed for a long road ride.Had a sit on a Pampera yesterday - I'm in love!! It's probably the perfect bike for me...except for the money part,being someone who likes tricky as opposed to fast it's right up my alley.I was amazed at how low it seemed,it felt like all the weight was below my knees,a super light trials like clutch,trick stuff everywhere.I don't want to go near it again...fits me like a glove and stuff like that...

$7700 RRP's not that bad.....

sels1
2nd February 2005, 14:57
:confused:I'm looking for a bike for adventure riding ie. Mike brittons' and also one that will handle say a trip around Coromandel and the odd soft trail ride. My experience is not that great. Have tried a few bikes now and I like the dt230.
Anybody know anything about these bikes??????

Welcome aboard the site.
When I have time/space/money for an extra bike, I would like one of those to play with.

Do you have a manual for your F650? I have a spare one - pm me.

Henk
7th February 2005, 21:15
I've bludged rides on both the Pampera and the DT230 and neither was my cup of tea, but then I'm not realy in the target demographic for these bikes. If you are after a new DT230 I'd find one and buy it now as Yamaha aren't going to be importing any more from what I gather.

Kwaka-Kid
7th February 2005, 22:09
meh! hopefully soon ill have my KDX200H :D yays! then ill join in.

BRY
8th February 2005, 07:08
Welcome aboard the site.
When I have time/space/money for an extra bike, I would like one of those to play with.

Do you have a manual for your F650? I have a spare one - pm me.
Yes thanks I do have a manual for my F650

igor
24th February 2005, 08:21

Couldja go on the site for me (I'm banned it seems) & tell Motu he is FULL of shit saying that the DT230 has a SIX ltr tank! It has ELEVEN, & is quite miserly with it too!

Oh, & the pampera has nearer NINE than SIX . .. .

. .. . I have 2 Pamperas (Pamperae?) now, 1 rigged 'Trialsy' & 1 rigged Trail/Enduro, but MIGHT be selling one to buy a GG EC300, so he orter get in touch to secure a place inna Q.

;-)) BRooooc

in the naki

Motu
24th February 2005, 10:25
Yeah,I'm fulla shit on that one,that's the spec I got off a Yamaha site,but looking at one and talking to an owner it seems they certainly hold a lot more,seems they can go over 200kms to a tank...but being a 2 stroke it's throttle related.

I'm closing in on a white 97 DT230,I plan to head down to look at it at Easter,staying in the Naki with a Pajero and trailer,guess I better contact Diesel for an appointment to view eh?

igor
24th February 2005, 18:35
,guess I better contact Diesel for an appointment to view eh?

take ya butt plug and watch out if he gets his vaseline out, ruNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Motu
21st March 2005, 17:10
I went up to Whangarei on sat and checked out a 2000 DT230 and took it for a blat - I'm sold,but maybe not on this one.

Heading out of town it's obvious they are not a road bike,but would be great around town.The bike was set up pretty stiff and I was getting knocked around a fair bit,in the yard the bike seemed too stiff in the dampning,I backed the rear off a bit,but I'd have to ride it off road to see how it handles there.100kph is really busy,I only took it up to 130kph and there seemed to be plenty left,but it was a wild ride,you're not going to be able to live there long.

Found a side road with some corners...it had Kenda K760s fitted,I've got these on the XT and aren't too pleased with them on road,you gotta be gentle - but not on the DT230,it can be pushed hard,lots of throttle mid corner,dumb braking...and never a thought to the tyres.Heh,heh,found a gravel road (much to the surprise of the salesmen) and put it through it's paces on about 8km - wow! haven't done this stuff on a fast 2 stroke for over 10yrs,felt like I was 40 again! Instant wheelspin as soon as the throttle is turned,flying up the road in constant wheelspin spitting rocks,a flick of the right wrist and a flick of the left toe for instant seamless gearchanges,the whole bike loose and guideing it with the body like a surfer boy,this is the life! You can do real dumb things and the bike thinks you know what you are doing - snap the throttle open on corner entry and go well crossed up,back off on online again,do it mid corner if you like,nothing upsets it.You could probably do a corner speedway style with a series of jabs on the throttle keeping it loose...didn't try that of course.I couldn't go off road,but getting it loose on gravel gives me a fair idea of what it might be like on power delivery,traction and braking....I felt comfy on it,I'd say it should handle the stuff an old fart like me will do with one.

There seems to be some discrepancy with expectations for this bike - Yamaha says it's an MX bike on the road and those who ride them say they are down on power - I don't think they are down on power.I think they think the DT230 is a 250,but you gotta look at where they come from,it's a 225cc,typical Yamaha,like the XT225 4 stroke.First there was the AT1,the first 125cc trail bike,growing to 175,then the IT175,IT200,DT200,WR200...the DT230 is from this line,it's at the top end of the small bike range,not the lower end of 250s,if you can follow that.They say 40HP,that'd be about right,the KDX200 is 35hp,the DT230 is pulling a bit more weight and performance is about the same,it comes on real strong off the bottom and is seamless all the way,this thing is a rocket...in the same way as a KDX,it's not a YZ250.

What I don't like - a bit disapointed to see a steel swing arm,shit,that's 5 kg by itself,but it's low down,you'll only feel it dragging it out of a hole.Compression and rebound adjustments on the rear,the rebound has a knob down by the carb,done on the move - but nothing on the front,if it needs work that'll be fiddling.The first DT230s were white,later ones are blue - but the blue is painted over the white,that's cheap....and any scratches show the white.This one had also been used on the beach and put away wet,every bolt had rust,found sand in a frame tube.This is a 2000 bike,you expect a bit of damage on a dirt bike,but this was poor maintenance and the scratched plastic looked bad,chain and sprockets stuffed too,if I buy a 2000 I want it to look like one,not a 1989.