PDA

View Full Version : Another SV650 rider speaks...

HenryDorsetCase
9th January 2005, 22:41
Greetings all

I stumbled across the site thanks to google when looking for info on things I want to do to my 04 SV650K4 (its one of the superdeal US spec ones from last summer):

So far the list is muffler (80dBa what were they thinking?)

I have fitted a Givi flyscreen fairing

and will get some soft panniers.

I need to do something about the small bump (non) compliance of the forks. even with all the preload off the small bump compliance is crap.

Dont get me wrong its a great bike, just in need of a few tweaks as so many of them are.

Anybody who can help me out with any of the above issues that would be great.

I also have a 1973 CB750K2 for sale as well...minter.

Zapf
9th January 2005, 22:59
Hello,
its not just you mate. I have the same problem and its a pain in the backside, I have been using my arms as dampening lately and its bloody hard work. People have suggested changing to a heavier oil as a cheap option, then perhaps looking at getting it re-sprung and fitting emulators. Or you can get Ohlins forks ($$$$).

oh and if the "small bump compliance is crap" what do you think of the big bumps? I hate it when I hit bumps mid corner, the whole front end gets throwen to the outside... :ar15:

have u thought about reducing the rear preload so that its not so hard and doesn't put that much force onto the soft front?

I have got some givi pannier and top box rack fitted to mine, an have done trip from wanganui to auckland at good speed thru SH3 and back roads with them.

What muffler are you getting? they are awefully expensive in NZ if bought locally....

HenryDorsetCase
10th January 2005, 10:44
I am light (66kg) and run minimum preload on the shock, and no preload in the forks.

I think the forks have too much compression damping so my current thoughts are 5wt oil instead of 10 to try and get some suppleness and if necessary run some preload to get the ride height and resistance to bottoming.

I see they make a gel seat as well which is abt $200US

I am going to talk to the Neptune mufflers guy, but it looks like they have to cut the pipes and join with a flange and I dont know how happy about that I am.

Having said that, stuff like Yoshi or Micron from the LBS is crazily expensive.

:)

dangerous
10th January 2005, 10:57
Welcome HDC, I have seen a SV650 and a SV1000 straight out of the shop and it amazes me how the hell they let bikes out the door with such poorly set up suspension..... both of these bikes I have help to set up better, theres a theroy to it and can take a bit to get right but it can be done and remember the bike is new so it will take a few thour km's for it to break in.

As for a can/pipe Neptune shouldent have to cut anything they will make something up as far back as the closest bolt up join. I have seen there black and ovel twin out let cans and they have a very nice sound, proberly worth the little more cash.

wari
10th January 2005, 11:08
:moon: ... :spudwave: ...

FROSTY
10th January 2005, 11:44
I am light (66kg) and run minimum preload on the shock, and no preload in the forks.

I think the forks have too much compression damping so my current thoughts are 5wt oil instead of 10 to try and get some suppleness and if necessary run some preload to get the ride height and resistance to bottoming.

I am going to talk to the Neptune mufflers guy, but it looks like they have to cut the pipes and join with a flange and I dont know how happy about that I am.

Henry -have a look at SV650.org -its a british SV club.
Basicly the idea is to contact Hawera Motorcycles and have front fork emulators fitted.
Aparently if ya do that the back shock doesn't feel so stiff.

Zapf
10th January 2005, 12:14

how much are you being quote for Neptune? I am ordering a M4 system from the US.

Old Edge
10th January 2005, 12:23
Hi
When i first rode my SV it was a shocker at the forks bottoming out.Drained the oil out of each leg,one was 70ml and the other 90ml short of the makers recomendations.Got in touch with my local Suzuki mechanic Answer--put 500ml either side with 10 fork oil.It now handles like a dream.
Old Edge

svs
10th January 2005, 14:05
Now I've got 2 SV's I have the luxury of running side by side comparisons :)

Stock suspension is crap. Race tech springs and emulators up front and ohlins rear is pretty darn good. Road bike now has spacers and heavier oil up front and GSXR 750 rear (from ebay), better than stock, but not brilliant.

All aftermarket cans for the SV will require you to cut the stock exhaust unless you get a full system.

Race bike has full 2 brothers exhaust system which does help heaps. Makes it rev much more freely. Since the standard can (now on road bike) was kind of worn away in places where blu slid it down the track I got a second hand end section and can off trademe for $60 so I have a spare to cut when the time comes that I can afford a replacement.

BTW Neptune for SV650 costs as of mid december:
Oval polished or brushed stainless steel is $662.00 inc gst.
Oval black finish on stainless is $706.00 inc gst.
Twin outlet in polished or brushed is $765.00 inc gst.
Twin outlet in Black finish is $839.00 inc gst.

Personally I'd go for a Yoshi RS-3 or a Blue Flame one if I could wangle some way of getting cheaper shipping...

Welcome to the site. SV's rock :Punk:

Ghost Lemur
10th January 2005, 14:48
Welcome aboard HDC.

Nice bike, as you can see you've got quite a bit of company here.

pete376403
10th January 2005, 20:27
Cycleworks at Lower Hutt made a pair of cans for my brother-in-laws SV1000 that came out really nice, have an embossed stainless finish thats different to everyone elses. Sound pretty good They attach to the pipes via the standard flange.

magnum
16th January 2005, 10:18
hello and welcome to the site :beer:

inlinefour
27th January 2005, 01:44
welcome and enjoy :cool:

dangerous
27th January 2005, 05:44
hello and welcome

welcome and enjoy
ohhhh.... god Honda dont you start the repeated 3 word got to get my post count up posts aswell :crazy: