PDA

View Full Version : Guns 'n' bikes

jrandom
30th August 2003, 16:57
Dunno if this belongs in the road bikes forum or not, but I'll be safe and stick it here...

Have any of you lot had experience lugging rifles and shotguns around on a bike? It'd be pretty convenient if I could get away with not having to commandeer SWMBO's car when going shooting.

For some reason I keep imagining a lever-action Marlin in a Wild West-style saddle holster on the FXR, but that's just silly, and I'm sure it'd get me pulled over on the way home from work more often than I am already :D

Antallica
30th August 2003, 17:05
Eh? :confused:

Lee Rusty
30th August 2003, 17:28
can be done ok - if bagged - a canvas rifle bag over back is not the most comfortable but is ok - I rode from Wellington to Auck.
never got hassled or stopped.

Gun has to be unloaded of course, magazine has to be unloaded as well and bolt and mag seperate from rifle.

Gun licence in pocket is a must also.

It is quite common out in the country .

SpankMe
30th August 2003, 17:51
I often go hunting often with a rifle/shotgun (http://www.spankme.dynu.com/spankgun.htm) slung over my shoulder on my bike. Bunnies, opossums and goat hunting with .22, 12-guage and .30 cal. Been stopped once when a cop wanted to check out what I was carrying, but just did a licence check, bike and gun, then let me on my way.

The only problem with carrying firearms on a motorbike is that I think you are not supposed to take a weapon into a business, like shops/petrol stations. But if ya got to stop for gas, you can’t leave it on the bike. I’ve been into petrol stations many times with a gun bag on my shoulder without any problem. Most people don’t know what it is. Just another law written by a cage driver, and like most cage drivers, didn’t take two wheeled transport into consideration.

Coldkiwi
1st September 2003, 12:46
well, I have heard of a particularly aggresive rider with a 5mm fuse that carried a large aluminium bar (1m long) around in a shotgun holster that was strapped to the side of his bike. When a cage driver cut him off, out would come the enforcer to inform said driver that they had made a small error. he was also known to forcibly remove wing mirrors with his boot for similar incursions into his space. I beleive the phrase (screamed at high volume as the offending article was removed) was "YOU DON'T USE IT SO YOU WON'T NEED IT!".

:Offtopic: but rather amusing!

jrandom
1st September 2003, 13:29
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
"YOU DON'T USE IT SO YOU WON'T NEED IT!"

Given the behaviour of many drivers out there, the same logic might justify a couple rounds of 000 buckshot into the head :D

Shooting the SPAS one-handed from the bike might present practical difficulties, though...

Er, and if any members of the law-enforcement community are reading this thread, the above is only a 'joke', OK? I am making it ze 'funny humour'. Ha ha! We really all are loving our friendly local car drivers!

georgedubyabush
1st September 2003, 15:00
Originally posted by jrandom

Shooting the SPAS one-handed from the bike might present practical difficulties, though...

How can you forget arnie in T2 doing that twirling reload action on his harley

jrandom
1st September 2003, 17:10
Originally posted by georgedubyabush
How can you forget arnie in T2 doing that twirling reload action on his harley

Ah, I haven't forgotten. Nope. But Arnie's was a lever action, IIRC. I suspect the filmmaker's choice of shotgun in T2 was entirely driven by the coolness of that scene. In real life, you'd want a semiauto, wouldn't you?

Also, I'd like to point out that the lever action twirl-to-reload was *not* an Arnie creation... I distinctly remember John Wayne doing it with a rifle while riding a horse in 'True Grit'. Anyone remember an earlier film instance of that move?

scumdog
16th September 2003, 08:45
Use to just carry the rifle over my shoulder and magazine in pocket (never knew when you might need a quick shot) never got hassled but the dust from gravel roads did not exactly enhance the optics of the scope!
Anries shotgun was last manufactured 1887 to the bast of my knowledge! still, looked cool I guess!

Owl Morris
29th February 2004, 18:38
I've got 2 sugestions, both old shitters and a bit silly I'm afraid.
1/ restore a WLA they came standard with a holster strapped to the forks.
2/ restore an old Indian, dump the rifle and carry a 9 mill inside ya jacket (I'm kidding)
Indians had a left hand throttle, that was to get government contracts for police bikes so badgeman could draw and accurately fire his side arm while in pursuit of your fleeing granddad-----
BMWs are right hand throttle aren't they? -----please tell me they are. :shutup:

Jackrat
29th February 2004, 19:20
I carry a rifle on a bike quite regular,Never had a problem.
The gas station thing is of course an issue but Iv'e never had a problem with that either.The biggist issue to me is what happens if I deck the bike.
I use a padded rifle bag and either chuck it over a shoulder or strap it on the back,The bag has a loop on the front that I put over the pillion peg and the strap goes under and over the seat.
If you want you can buy a gun boot that straps to your fork leg an stearing head from Ranch ware horse supplys.They come in different sizes to fit just about anything,even with scope ect,They will also mount across the bars.
They will custom make then as well.Standard price $240.00
Ph 09 437 7711
www.ranchware.co.nz
I had a look at one of their custom jobs,wool lined, all carved up,Very nice but you pay for them.
BTW what type of marlin,I kind'a like the Rossi .44 myself or winchester .307 or,,,Ahh forget it ;)

Motu
29th February 2004, 19:40
My TLR200 was a hunting bike - took all that crap off,I'm dangerous enough on a bike - I couldn't shoot my own foot....but I'm sure something interesting would happen.

Howdy Owl,glad to see you made it here,although you've been registered on this site longer than me...I joined when I saw your name on the members list!

So,do ya think Black Bart could of coped with a left throttle?