PDA

View Full Version : Odometer same as date

Lorax
14th July 2008, 22:37
Late May I realised my odometer was ticking through the years. I started following it when I noticed it at 198079 - I decided that was the 7th of September, 1980. I was born that year, and followed the odometer's yearly ticking through my life, imagining what I was doing on any given date. Great fun!

The odometer was speeding through time, on a collision course with the present...

There was a chance the odometer would display the current days' exact date, but only if 1) I managed to catch it and 2) it was a date that was in the first 9 days of the month (allowing the date to fit on the odometer).

It happened. :D Good times. The 9th of June 2008. Woohoo! Woop woop!

In the first and second photo's the odometer is bang on the date. In the third photo I turned the motor off and stood it on its' stand, clicking the odometer a little so the 6 (June) is barely visible. Oh well. And there's that days' newspaper for good measure.

gijoe1313
14th July 2008, 22:48
Need to go and buy a lotto ticket! :msn-wink: And remember to buy me a new bike when your numbers roll in! :woohoo:

Lorax
21st July 2008, 22:43
If I were to buy a lotto ticket and the numbers were the same as my odometer, would that mean I won lotto?

Steam
21st July 2008, 22:52
You could do a whole series and make a coffee-table book.
Famous Motorcycle Odometers and Significant Dates From History!

1066 for a new bike!
9112001 for a high-mileage tourer

etc.
Long time no see Lorax!
See you in Welly :soon:

Number One
21st July 2008, 23:04
:sunny: cool thought - thanks for that.

...1980?!!! :blink: now I feel old.....:weep: time for my bovril and hottie I think...nighty night

Griffin
22nd July 2008, 09:23
So now that you have followed your life from birth to present on your odometer... does that mean that you will be able to ride in to the future... and what would you do if the odometer stopped working at a mileage that represented a date in the near future... would you freak out??? Creepy

Insanity_rules
22nd July 2008, 11:00
That is trippy!

Thunder 8
22nd July 2008, 16:20
Late May I realised my odometer was ticking through the years. I started following it when I noticed it at 198079 - I decided that was the 7th of September, 1980. I was born that year, and followed the odometer's yearly ticking through my life, imagining what I was doing on any given date. Great fun!

The odometer was speeding through time, on a collision course with the present...

There was a chance the odometer would display the current days' exact date, but only if 1) I managed to catch it and 2) it was a date that was in the first 9 days of the month (allowing the date to fit on the odometer).

It happened. :D Good times. The 9th of June 2008. Woohoo! Woop woop!

In the first and second photo's the odometer is bang on the date. In the third photo I turned the motor off and stood it on its' stand, clicking the odometer a little so the 6 (June) is barely visible. Oh well. And there's that days' newspaper for good measure.
:devil2:I'd be worried about the 666 on the trip meter in the third photo heh heh.... too freaky.:eek5:

Lorax
23rd July 2008, 18:11
You could do a whole series and make a coffee-table book.
Famous Motorcycle Odometers and Significant Dates From History!

So now that you have followed your life from birth to present on your odometer... does that mean that you will be able to ride in to the future... and what would you do if the odometer stopped working at a mileage that represented a date in the near future... would you freak out??? Creepy

Man that would be intense. You could write a separate 'diary of a doomed motorcyclist' book to go with the coffee table book mentioned above. And if I were to die on that date they'd both sell like nothing else and I'd ba a rich dead guy. Sweet.

:devil2:I'd be worried about the 666 on the trip meter in the third photo heh heh.... too freaky.:eek5:

I wondered if anyone was going to notice that. Well done. Did it just for shits and giggles. But of the odo does stop as Griffin mentioned manby I'd conclude that I pissed someone off...