PDA

View Full Version : What rear tyre for SV1000????

arj127
15th July 2008, 20:55
I need to replace the rear on my SV, the front Pilot sport is still in pretty good nick (and i'm too tight to want to chuck it).
Has anyone had any experience of running another type of tyre such as an m3 with the original pilot sport?
My pilot sports have only lasted 5500km, probably due to the previous owner running them at a low pressure and me stupidly not checking it when i bought the bike.
What should i do?

homer
15th July 2008, 20:57
ive said it once and ill say it again ....metzler roadtec z6.

arj127
15th July 2008, 21:01
ive said it once and ill say it again ....metzler roadtec z6.

Whats your reason for that, there not the prettiest looking tyre and they have no grooves near the centre of the tyre. Do they give good grip and mileage.

homer
15th July 2008, 21:20
well
my rear tyre has done just getting near 7000km now
will have another 7 easy i recken , thats not hard riding thou.
2 up at times as well .
dry grip is really good . wet road and smooth , well depends what you call good grip .
quite good in the wet i think .
and why do you need a centre line , i keep trying to find good tyres with out it .
You dont corner with the centre remember .
there also duel compound so the sides of the tyre are softer than the centre.

Squiggles
16th July 2008, 11:04
M3's are awesome, dont know whether the profile will match the front tho

avgas
16th July 2008, 11:23
Shinko, getting better every year. Spend the change on a front tyre while your at it.

Fatjim
16th July 2008, 11:56
I need to replace the rear on my SV, the front Pilot sport is still in pretty good nick (and i'm too tight to want to chuck it).
Has anyone had any experience of running another type of tyre such as an m3 with the original pilot sport?
My pilot sports have only lasted 5500km, probably due to the previous owner running them at a low pressure and me stupidly not checking it when i bought the bike.
What should i do?

Your prolly better off getting the cheapest Michilin thats got a similar profile, wear won't be an issue because your front's half worn and you'll want to put a set on next time. Ring around for a sport/road/road2 etc and see whos' got one cheap.

Devil
16th July 2008, 14:56
M3's are excellent. Chuck the rear on and when you get some spare cash do the the front too.

mouldy
16th July 2008, 15:02
M3's are excellent. Chuck the rear on and when you get some spare cash do the the front too.

Yes M3s' are good but not the same shape as a Pilot sport , Old Pilot Road on the back will run fine with Sport front but double check front tread depth 45 degrees away from the centre line on the right hand side

arj127
17th July 2008, 11:49
Have put a Pilot Road 2 on it.
Would like to go to M3's next time.

Morcs
17th July 2008, 12:47
Just got a pilot power front and a road 2 rear.

Can honestly say fantastic. good grip in dry and wet, will get good mileage outta the rear, and it tips in quicker than when I was running conti race attacks.

go figure.

Pumba
18th July 2008, 16:54
When the factory Pilot Road rear ran out of rubber on my SV I put a Conti Road Attack on.

Seemed to work well.

Then when the front is stuffed put a full set of Contis on, I loved them

TimeOut
18th July 2008, 17:24
Can honestly say fantastic. good grip in dry and wet, will get good mileage outta the rear, and it tips in quicker than when I was running conti race attacks.

go figure.

Found the same with (Pilot road front PR2 rear) especially the tipping in and staying planted in the corners. 8000km on them so far front hardly showing wear should be another 8k out of the rear.

Dealer
18th July 2008, 17:32
I put pilot road 2's on my Busa and they lasted 8000k, and that was with 2 track days which chewed out the right hand side of the rear.
Had Metzler M3's on the bike when i bought it and changed them immediately.
Damn lethal when cold on wet roads, had the back zip out a couple of times. Had no scary moments with the Road2's. Running on my 2nd set now.

BBQ
20th July 2008, 20:55
iv got conti sport attacks on mys sv1 very gripy in dry and wet

pritch
29th July 2008, 15:43
there not the prettiest looking tyre

Things are getting really complicated now, all the proliferation of different models and now a beauty competition?

Taz
29th July 2008, 16:43
+1 on continental Road Attacks.

SupaCross Cycles
29th July 2008, 16:47
Id run a Pirelli Corsa Or just a plain Pirelli Diablo

Great tyres and a Great Price

If you are really stuck on a low budget look at the shinko

arj127
29th July 2008, 18:00
Things are getting really complicated now, all the proliferation of different models and now a beauty competition?

Sorry mate, should refrase that to the tyre not being very sporty looking, more commuterish. And i don't like the fact that the are no groves near the centre of the tyre to help disperse the water.

paturoa
29th July 2008, 21:16
I'm running avon storms and have done the brass monkey this year and a shit load of commuting. I'd rate dry performance on a par with the pilot sport for that sort of work and much better in the wet.

pritch
30th July 2008, 08:13
And i don't like the fact that the are no groves near the centre of the tyre to help disperse the water.

At the risk of upsetting some... :devil2:

Tyres are designed to work in pairs. Some people have trouble with the concept but that's pretty much fact. What you do is your own business but they are designed to be used that way.

This is one example of why we should stick to the manufacturers recommendation. The Z6 and Pirelli Diablo Strada don't have tread in the middle, the theory being that the front tyre sweeps the road clean for the rear tyre. This seems to work well enough but you'd better be using a front tyre designed to work with that particular rear tyre.

My BT020s had tread in the middle but that didn't stop them sliding in the wet, even on the straights!

arj127
30th July 2008, 19:15
Tyres are designed to work in pairs. Some people have trouble with the concept but that's pretty much fact.

Unfortunately my budget does not allow me to throw away a 1/4 worn front every time i need a new rear tyre. But i think i have done a fairly good job with a fairly close match/brand etc.

Will definately be getting a matching pair next time, the front should be stuffed by then.

Was not aware of the front cleaning for the rear story, but would rather have some groves in the centre of the tyre anyway. Have had 100kmh wheelspin before, not that much fun.

And yeah, i know, any tyre is going to spin in the wet on a smooth surface.