PDA

View Full Version : Question, is odometer required on a bike?

toyboy
17th July 2008, 14:23
Lookng at gettings a VTR250 (model without the rev counter) and replacing the dash with a bit of a custom jobby, with either a Koso digital dash or maybe a Vapor unit of some type.
Just wondering is a odometer reading required for bike WOF's ? Wondering if the WOF guy will complain that theres no original analogue gauge with a odometer reading to add to the usual WOF info that they record.

Ixion
17th July 2008, 14:41
Only for a diesel bike.

riffer
17th July 2008, 17:51
I'm not convinced Ixion.

Part of the WOF process is to record the Kms travelled.

No Odometer. No way to write kms travelled.

I think you're asking for trouble.

edit: did a brief search. An odometer reading is a requirement of a WOF in New Zealand.

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/certifiers/virm-in-service/wof-check-sheet-specs.pdf

Ixion
17th July 2008, 17:56
But they cannot refuse you a WoF if they cannot record the Kilometres. Which sometimes happens when a 5 digit odometer has gone over the 99999. They will not record the new figure because they cannot say for sure that is what has happened

Here be the relevant bits of the VIRM

1. A motorcycle fi rst registered in New Zealand on or
after 1/12/1951 that is capable of a speed exceeding
50 km/h must be fi tted with a speedometer.

Note 1 Speedometer means an instrument in a motor vehicle that is used to determine forward speed of the
vehicle in kilometres per hour or miles per hour.

Nothing about an odometer. Diesel is a 'special case' becuase of RUCs.

EDIT - your link is the requirments for the CHECK SHEET. So when designing the check sheet for the inspector to fill in you must provide a box where he can write the odometer reading. If he has one. Likewise , to tick or not the daylight running lamps. If they are fitted.

EDITY EDIT: It is just the same when you do a change of wonership, there is a aspace for a mileage reading. But you can enter any nonsense, or nothing , in there.

EDITY EDITY EDIT: If it were actually a requirement to record the Km travelled, one could never fit a replacement speedo, because there would be no way to determine the Km travelled at the next WoF. So if your speedo was broken, you could not get a WoF, but you could not replace it either. Catch 22

Motu
17th July 2008, 18:29
As Ixion says,the odo reading is only relivent for diesel vehicles - and those readings entered for your WoF go to RUC calculations.You can enter the exact same reading for a petrol powered vehicle year after year - I had my XS1 for 15 years,the odo was stopped at 24,000mls or so,ever WoF,every rego I entered the exact same figure.For a Wof I just enter 0000 if there is no odo.

merv
17th July 2008, 19:16
I rode my old XR200RD for 15 years with an odo that would read to 99.9km and then tick over to 00.0 again and that never was an issue with WOFs.

riffer
17th July 2008, 20:02
I stand corrected. Thanks guys.

Motu
17th July 2008, 20:05
So don't cross us crusty old farts again - got it?!!!