PDA

View Full Version : Moto Graphic Kits / Decals

REDRIDER
18th July 2008, 11:01
Hey guys, my first new thread so bear with me, hopefully this falls in the correct section etc....

Anyway, I work in graphic design and in my spear time (yeah right) want to make up some sticker kits, the hardest part of this is getting an accurate template for all the various bikes (legally) ish.

The most accurate (and legal) way for me to do this is to scan and trace an original which will give me a template that is super accurate. From there I can throw different graphics at them etc.

First things first I need old graphics kits. The newer the better but cant pick and choose, In return I could send you a .ai or .eps or ,ps file of the final template.

Hopefully I can build a little collection of templates.
Obviously the newer the better but Ill take what I can get. Probably main stream to start KX, CR, YZ, RM 125 250 450

Hows that for a first post or does it have newbie written all over it.

Cheers Darryl

scracha
18th July 2008, 13:10
Anyway, I work in graphic design and in my spear time (yeah right)
Oh cripes, it's not just my local signwriter who spends a day knocking up signs with spelling mistakes.

First things first I need old graphics kits. The newer the better but cant pick and choose, In return I could send you a .ai or .eps or ,ps file of the final template.

You need the actual stickers or just the bitmapped graphics (jpeg/gif/etc) and dimensions? If you can get a webbysite with a decent library of motorcycle graphics kits to sell to other signwriters I reckon you could be on to something.

Hows that for a first post or does it have newbie written all over it.
Cheers Darryl
Not a bad effort.

Redrider... do you ride a honda or is your girlfriend ginger?

REDRIDER
18th July 2008, 13:32
Ok so found the quick reply button

Yeah, not big on the spelling.

I guess Im after the actual stickers, (old ones) that way I can scan and trace the stickers (even return if need be) and know they are 2 scale and correct. There are ones you can download but would rather start from scratch then all is legit.

Would be good to get a few templates together, then who noes from there.
Ive got 03 CR250R template from my bike and 02 YZ250F from my bro so its a start.

Cheers

Winston001
18th July 2008, 13:52
Good idea but I don't know where you get the idea scanning a sticker/decal is legit. So far as I know, the image will belong to Honda, Suzuki etc and it will be a breach of copyright, trademark etc to copy and reproduce it.

Having said that, still a good idea and worth pursuing in a low-key way. Happy hunting.

REDRIDER
18th July 2008, 13:58
I wouldnt think it was illegal to copy the shape of the guards, which is what Im intending on doing.
Then from there create your own graphics.

Surely its just making a sticker to fit a specific bike??

imdying
18th July 2008, 14:22
This might interest you.

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/tl1000s-tl1000r-forum/100085-appalachian-signs-graphics-info.html

nodrog
18th July 2008, 14:26
I wouldnt think it was illegal to copy the shape of the guards, which is what Im intending on doing.
Then from there create your own graphics.

Surely its just making a sticker to fit a specific bike??

so you are not actually going to reproduce the visual part of the sticker, you just need the overall shape of the decal to ensure it fits the plastics, and you are going to make your own designs?

Boosted
18th July 2008, 14:34
ill be taking my old graphics off u can copy if u want? off a 07 yz250f, going to have new plastics and graphics

REDRIDER
18th July 2008, 14:35
Correct

Maybe I wasnt clear enough, im not intending on copying other peoples designs, if that was the case I should look for another career.

What I do want to do is create templates of various plastics so that I can then pass them on to KM members or design my own RANDOM Graphic kits.

REDRIDER
18th July 2008, 14:55
ill be taking my old graphics off u can copy if u want? off a 07 yz250f, going to have new plastics and graphics

that would be an awesome start, not sure how to get hold of you but I think you can email me?? still working the forum thing out

Drop me a line, Cheers

Boosted
18th July 2008, 14:56
just give me a bell, 021809773

live in albany

Pierce
18th July 2008, 16:02

What's this Adam? Going another colour or just aftermarket graphics?

Boosted
18th July 2008, 17:47
going black with custom graphics, finally regged with mnz so will have some proper numbers for a change :) hehe

telliman
18th July 2008, 18:52
going black with custom graphics, finally regged with mnz so will have some proper numbers for a change :) hehe

did my mnz last night!

so when we all going riding?

sosman
18th July 2008, 19:04
What would be really cool! if that one could download a psd template of there bike etc,make there own design & email to some one to produce it..Now that would be wicked.

Boosted
18th July 2008, 19:07
hey telliman, give me a txt lol 021809773, went to ardmore on wes for the first time in 3 months lol really unfit now :( but yeh keen az to go for a ride :)

REDRIDER
18th July 2008, 19:25
What would be really cool! if that one could download a psd template of there bike etc,make there own design & email to some one to produce it..Now that would be wicked.

Give the man a :beer::beer:

That is precisely the idea, but need to start by gathering templates, or if local, I can probably take a template straight from the plastics. Redraw then distribute.

But they need to be accurate, there are to many botch jobs floating round the internet.:done:

REDRIDER
19th July 2008, 13:34
Further to this thread, what is a reasonable price to pay for a custom set of graphics, not necessarily the market rates, but what is the general public willing to pay for a Basic/Set of Shrouds?, Full Graphics kit?,

Id be interested on feedback.