PDA

View Full Version : Tip on cleaning camelbac hose (cheap way)

Cary
18th July 2008, 20:19
Left my camelbac with powerade in over a few weeks so mould came for a party, and i mean black with it.

Went to look at store bought and wanted $30 odd. Me being cheap went to Spotlight and got some pipecleaners and chopped off some of the weedeater line. Wrap the pipecleaner round the line and bob's your uncle :yes:

For about $1 it did the trick, & in a couple of minutes.

Taz
18th July 2008, 20:24
Slack arse bastard!! Next you'll lose your keys to your shed, your fuel can off the back of the ute and then you'll lose your wallet. About time you cleaned up your act isn't it???

Good tip BTW :bleh:

clmintie
18th July 2008, 20:31
Good idea to soak the tube and bladder in "Miltons" every now and then... Get it from the baby section at supermarket, supposed to be for sterilising baby bottles, if you've seen me ride, you'll agree it's quite appropriate.......

Cary
18th July 2008, 20:47
Slack arse bastard!! Next you'll lose your keys to your shed, your fuel can off the back of the ute and then you'll lose your wallet. About time you cleaned up your act isn't it???

Good tip BTW :bleh:

Cripes your right, I have had a bad run! And still got the Tiger tyre issue to deal with yet...........

Good idea to soak the tube and bladder in "Miltons" every now and then... Get it from the baby section at supermarket, supposed to be for sterilising baby bottles, if you've seen me ride, you'll agree it's quite appropriate.......

Sounds worth doing, hate to think what i've swallowed in the past!!(rude comments taken as given!!) Normally good about cleaning camelbac straight after ride(from experence!) but only takes one time.

4stroke
18th July 2008, 20:47
i just rinse mine out and thro it in the freezer with a little bit of water in it, then when i go to use it give it a rinse with warm water and away we go.

hayd3n
18th July 2008, 21:08
lol i just clicked on wot you were talking about (google lol)
i gotta get me 1 of them!!!

Taz
18th July 2008, 21:16
Oh you didn't think it was the other Camel back did you??

Steam
18th July 2008, 22:03
You can also sterilize it with Sodium Metabisulphite, which is in the brewing section of the supermarket in a white bottle with a red label. Good stuff. Kills everything even better than pure bleach, after you have cleaned the physical crud out.

scott411
19th July 2008, 09:45
best way to store camel back bladders is in the freezer, then nothing grows in them,

Number One
19th July 2008, 14:46
Pleased I found this thread - thanks for all the great advice! :sunny:

CookMySock
20th July 2008, 08:09
ya can also blow plastic lines out with the steam jet on yer espresso maker.. works real good.

DB

Number One
20th July 2008, 08:52
ya can also blow plastic lines out with the steam jet on yer espresso maker.. works real good.

DB
OOOO you are a clever DangerousBastard! :lol:

PG

Crisis management
20th July 2008, 09:46

DB

There is a slight, little, miniscule, teeny weeny chance DB, that the words "Expresso maker" are a bit foreign to this forum.

If you mentioned "coffee and thermos" or "beer" there may be more chance of some empathy......

Quasievil
20th July 2008, 09:51
Guys Guys guys two words...........baking Soda.

HungusMaximist
20th July 2008, 10:20
Guys Guys guys two words...........baking Soda.

Like your style, baking soda...

I guess you could also do with vinegar and flush it after with some hot water but could leave a funny taste.

What about meths? Chuck some in and toss it around and then flush it with hot water as it evaporates.

Number One
20th July 2008, 10:40
http://www.bivouac.co.nz/Bivouac/Packs/Hydration_Packs.htm

;)

Madness
20th July 2008, 10:46
what on earth is a tiger tyre??
:scratch:

Could it be a round black rubbery thing that wraps arount the wheel of a Triumph Tiger?

bully
20th July 2008, 12:11
i rinse and leave in hot water cubbord, all good.