PDA

View Full Version : Places to ride off-road

Pages : 1 [2]

RJM
25th January 2010, 17:23
I've just trawled through the 17 pages to find any other riding spots around the Taupo area. I'm down there for a week with my bike so plan on hitting Rangitaiki Saturday but then want to find something else.

I assume Digger McEwen would only be available on bigger events? I remember reading on here about a new farm track / park recently but can't find a link.

Any suggestions?

Ride it till the red
26th January 2010, 12:28
Some cool trail riding off the side of the Napier Taupo road. Head out from Taupo until you get to an Old Gas Station with a pub and shop type thing with it, on the left hand side of the road. Just before a little bridge to confirm your at the right spot. Park on the grass just before the old pumps and head out from there along the road 50m or so across the bridge and then veer right through a little gravel pit and into the trail that you should see. Some desert type trails with a few decent natural terrain jumps if you hunt for them. Then as you head towards the hills theres some nice hillclimbs and tighter stuff and some fun forest riding too. The cars seem to be well looked after by the people at the pub. Good luck.

As far as Digger Mc Ewens goes I think theres a number on the gate to ring and try and organise getting the key and paying your money. Correct me if I'm wrong tho....

RJM
26th January 2010, 17:56
I'm pretty sure the place you've described is the place I call Rangitaiki. If we're heading from Taupo it's about 20mins out, a random pub on the right and we go exploring out the back. All sorts of goodness found out there.

Thanks for that.

BM-GS
26th January 2010, 18:11
New place near Taupo - might be this place? (Copied shamelessly from this thread: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/117102-Tihoi-Trail-Ride-28th-Feb-2010 )

Never been there, just remembered it from surfing. New, IIRC.

"Tihoi Adventure Farms"

Sunday 28th Feb 2010

Sign in: 8.30am
Riders Brief: 9.45am
Start: 10am

Suitable for all ages and levels of riders.

$30-Adult, $20-Child (15 and under), $90-Family

Tihoi, Taupo

For more info please contact:

Aria
Tihoi Adventure Farms
07 372 8888
ride@tihoi.com

RJM
26th January 2010, 21:23
Have emailed them tonight, details on here seem a little thin so will be interesting to see what they come back with.

2fitty
15th February 2010, 20:23
what times the sandpit open till durring the week does anyone know?

krad_nz
15th February 2010, 21:25
opening hours are on their website.
www.thesandpit.co.nz

"Wednesday thru to Sunday 9am to 5pm (gates closing at 5pm) with late night on Thursdays during daylight saving. (9am to 7pm) Please note: we will be closed every Monday and Tuesday, other than the above, for track grooming and maintenance. Keep an eye on our website for closures during the summer due to the fire risk. This is beyond our control unfortunately."

motox
25th February 2010, 07:07
Annandales is a 3 times a year thing through Power Adventures, they also do Fells farm near Kaukaupakaupa, as some else posted. Woodhill will be much better when the 'new' bike park is open

Woodhill has a new bike park opening ??

noobi
25th February 2010, 21:23
not as such. the old honda park changed ownership and is now called the kawasaki sandpit, www.thesandpit.co.nz

heavyduty
3rd March 2010, 09:18
wedsday nights are STMX track rides! most tracks are $15.
some mean tracks and good ppl to meet/ride with.
hurmans still hobbling around his workshop,but says hell be training soon and back on a bike in a month,so watch out for that MEAN YELLOW MACHINE!
pm me for more info!
TRIPPLE N!

pj.elliott
5th April 2010, 19:50
I just had a crack at Thunder Valley Bike Park out near Glen Murray/Huntly. What an awesome place to have a blast. My boy was riding the kids loop over and over and the more advanced can have a play on a couple of enduro loops or the MX track. Great fun.

rjs123
13th May 2010, 14:02
is this place still going ? , is there a sign or phone number ??
i am in beachlands and wanted to have a blast around on my quad , unless anyone can recommend somewhere else neare by ??

thanks

2fitty
9th July 2010, 18:23
anyone know if thunders still open at the mo, just tried calling but no answer.

Dumruat
16th July 2010, 12:35
anyone know if thunders still open at the mo, just tried calling but no answer.

I just called thundercross an hour or so ago. I was told closed at present . I think i heard closed all july and august . But appart from the temp closure it is still open.

bottom feeder
19th September 2010, 21:50
hi guys,
just bought a trike after a few hours on the road and off the road :doctor: I realised why people call them a death trap. do you guys no of any waste land around the howick/ botany area i can ride it?
Thanks,

D3ALN
3rd October 2010, 18:14
This thread would be even better if there was one for each region. Could an adming/ mod look in to this?

Nefariious
7th October 2010, 09:17
This thread would be even better if there was one for each region. Could an adming/ mod look in to this?

This would be good.

meteor
25th October 2010, 06:44
Thunder Cross open and mint to ride. Boys and I spent yesterday there.
Used to be $50 for a family but now $30 adult and $20 each for boys (15 & 13)
Heaps of others there. Part of A loop was closed off due to being too muddy.
Looks like they've put a bit of work into it since last summer.

on2it
29th October 2010, 07:04
for thundervalley do you just turn up? im trying to figure out where to go tomorrow. I think my babys had enough sand for the mean time.... best bets on a ride tomorrow? kimis? thundervalley has no site or contact number...

p.s. i think tomorrow has showers through out the day so might have to take that into consideration

Alan

2fitty
29th October 2010, 17:34
for thundervalley do you just turn up? im trying to figure out where to go tomorrow. I think my babys had enough sand for the mean time.... best bets on a ride tomorrow? kimis? thundervalley has no site or contact number...

p.s. i think tomorrow has showers through out the day so might have to take that into consideration

Alan

yeah just turn up pay your money at the house and go ride, basically a working farm, a couple of trails A and B, a learners loop and a mx track and good times, phone # is 09 233 3117.

james rm125
26th November 2010, 07:14
Is the Onehunga Moto X track still up an running??

omata
28th November 2010, 07:47
I just had a crack at Thunder Valley Bike Park out near Glen Murray/Huntly. What an awesome place to have a blast. My boy was riding the kids loop over and over and the more advanced can have a play on a couple of enduro loops or the MX track. Great fun.

not bad eh? I went with a group of us (about 10) and had an awesome time, cool step up on the MX track, owner was a bit grumpy and doesn't do group deals.. but track was all good!

D3ALN
29th November 2010, 20:38
Anyone got any pics of riding from rangatiki plains on napier taupo rd

mackaz
1st December 2010, 20:34
The circuit is open again.
Shorter and harder.
I closed it before because there were so few riders. I had been under the impression that Whangarei riders were staved of places to ride............ but wrong again. The weird thing though (I thought) was that of all the riders that done the circuit, only one ever came back a second time. Never had any complaints about the ride, perhaps a little tough was as bad as it got. This time the circuit is totally independent of the rest of the farm. No setting up the circuit and having no-one turn up.
This time I'll try, any time is OK with me. Feel like a ride?, we are open.
For more info goto..... http://www.braefern.co.nz/trailbike.html

Whatever happened to this???? Website says closed for good? Anyway I want somewhere to ride, Been to the farm, its cool, but got bagged on hard because of my old farm quad I was thrashing, and imagine much the same will happrn with the DR....

D3ALN
14th December 2010, 16:17
Rode Hewitts track in Dannevirke. ok for a space to ride for free. spent more time riding up the river then on the track though lol. track was rutted and needed grooming ut overgrowen. an ok double which I didnt try and a couple of table tops

DirtMad
19th February 2011, 18:34
Hi All,

Finnally, has anyone ridden the tracks behind the train tracks in Glen Eden/Henderson along West Coast road? Looks like some good stuff up the Henderson end, accessed from the end of Rangeview Road by the subdivision that never happened? Is it any good?

Cheers

Hey guys, I know this post above was ages ago, but I`m out west and would be keen to ride here. Got anymore details about it? Anyone been out there or know if its still possible to use the area?

Jay GTI
23rd February 2011, 14:36
No idea if it's ok to ride, but I live in Glen Eden and have heard a couple of MX bikes being given some welly somewhere nearby, can only assume it's coming from there. Would love to know if it's actually legal to ride there, or if it's just a couple of hairy bogans just making a nuisance of themselves...

DirtMad
23rd February 2011, 17:01
No idea if it's ok to ride, but I live in Glen Eden and have heard a couple of MX bikes being given some welly somewhere nearby, can only assume it's coming from there. Would love to know if it's actually legal to ride there, or if it's just a couple of hairy bogans just making a nuisance of themselves...

You are suggesting that you live in Glen Eden and are NOT a hairy bogan !? :gob:

Jay GTI
23rd February 2011, 17:07
You are suggesting that you live in Glen Eden and are NOT a hairy bogan !? :gob:

well I'm not that hairy...:whistle:

2fitty
26th February 2011, 17:50
I heard somewhere that theres a place you can ride out clevedon way, anyone have any info on this?

KevinD
12th March 2011, 09:53
Hi, Just getting back into Dirt Riding after many years (25+). I need somewhere to teach my wife the basics and freshen up my own riding skills. To get started I've brought a cheap Chinese 250 Dirt Bike :( for myself and a 125 Pit Bike for my wife (ducks disease). So far she's had a one good ride on Foxton beach, but sand is a bit tough on a learner.

Has Akatarawa Forest any open area's for a learner, or would I be better going to Long Gully. There appears to be plenty of wasted open area's near the river in the Hutt :) but you are not permitted to ride there.

Blagger
12th March 2011, 19:32
Long Gully is better for a learner because it has a large open area but it's a bitch when it's windy and it costs money.
Akatarawa from the Karapoti side has a small carpark then a flat run through to "Siberia" which is a fairly open area - she'd need some basic skills and there's one stream Xing on the way there that would be difficult to get a pitbike through ( for one person - you can be a good chap and help her up the other side). The Maungatuktuku side has less open area to start with but there is some flat bush track to the left of Perham's Rd but you've gotta get her through an easy stream Xing at the very start.

If she can ride on the beach then I'd put her on the Karapoti side - lotsa puddles to get wet in but a nice run thru the bush - just look out for quads coming the other way

And get her a real bike soon as..

Blagger
8th April 2011, 18:45
This link

http://s518.photobucket.com/albums/u342/60MPa/

is a scan of a photocopy of a laminated map (hence the creasemarks down the middle) showing all the trails that I know of in the Akatarawa Forest North of Wellington.

If anyone else has got a better copy please put it up

I've looked on the Greater Wgtn Regional Council's webpage and can't find a copy online but hey, some of the wrong kind is better than none of the right kind....

Original size A3

Blagger
8th April 2011, 19:19
Oh yeah, there's a pdf of the other WRC map on this page in the top right corner

http://www.gw.govt.nz/akatarawa/

unstuck
20th April 2011, 17:15
One of the things i love about living in southland, is the many places easily accesible for dirt riding and 4x4ing.:yes: My favorite by far would be around mid dome and the acton forest,Heaps of different trails,roads, and huts to stay in.:woohoo:

dave hamilton
31st May 2011, 20:19
theres good tracks up in mt pirongia in the waikato miles of good forest tracks easy going and great views pm for details :scooter:

flyingcr250
2nd June 2011, 21:12
theres good tracks up in mt pirongia in the waikato miles of good forest tracks easy going and great views pm for details :scooter:

legal tracks?

dave hamilton
4th June 2011, 16:07
legal if you dont wreck havoc on the forestry equipment further in and dont annoy the mountain bikers but they have there own track so you dont see them on the motor bike tracks theres a good range of them from hardcore to mild 1 track is 14km the other is 25km

mx_newbie
5th June 2011, 22:09

Are they private? and what road are they up? (i live on the mountain) :)

slo kx
15th July 2011, 21:16
Are they private? and what road are they up? (i live on the mountain) :)

yea im also keen to know ??

nzspokes
15th July 2011, 22:07
Hey guys, I know this post above was ages ago, but I`m out west and would be keen to ride here. Got anymore details about it? Anyone been out there or know if its still possible to use the area?

At the back of the cemetry? I used to ride my BMX there as I grew up down the road. Not legal.

dave hamilton
1st August 2011, 18:22
not near the cemertry it the road by the bridge on the right hand side just follow the road until the end as you will come to a steel gate with a entry point from there just follow the gravel road till you see mtb track signs the trial rides for dirt bikes is onm the left mtb on the right side cant miss the signs or the big gate with entry point

dino3310
13th August 2011, 15:55
Is it ADV bike freindly Dave, like DR KLR.
Get sick of the public roads, some light offroad makes a pleasant change:Punk:.

Crabby
27th August 2011, 13:38
Anyone got an updated number for Jam Track at Clevedon ? I have an old 025 number that is no longer in service

terra-circa
4th December 2011, 17:49
Virgin post :confused: Can anyone send me a link to gratis trail rides/routes North Island? Long mixed trail routes would be ideal. Used to be with Trail Riders fellowship in the UK and looking for something similar out here, does it exist? Cheers

Jay GTI
4th December 2011, 18:29
Doesn't really work that way over here, as we don't have the bridleway, right of way, greenlane etc. rights here, pretty much everything is private land and you need permission from the land owner to be on it. Instead we get trail parks, enduro and MX track and organised rides, although there are some large areas of forestry-owned or council-owned land where it's acceptable to go play (seem to be more prevalent in the Wellington area though, can't think of anywhere up this way).

terra-circa
16th December 2011, 09:51
Thanks for the info

M0T0MAN
28th January 2012, 15:44
Anyone know if Maungaturoto motocross track is still going, their sites not working at the moment?

jdman75
25th August 2012, 17:20

does your bike need to be rego'd and have a wof to use them? could you send me directions to them as well please?

tom.

dino3310
27th August 2012, 08:56
Hey Dave is this the place, i was gonna sneak around the gate but some dude walking his dog said he'd ring the council if i went any further and after see the signage and have a number plate i left

mx_newbie
27th August 2012, 18:05
That Place in Pirongia (In those photos) isnt open to motobikes anymore :( I live near there.
There was also a forestry track up Te Tahi road (if anyone was talking about that) which is also closed :(

dino3310
28th August 2012, 13:42
Bugga bugga bugga

mylodon
2nd September 2012, 20:19
hey -- i'm located around wellington -- just got a little more dirt friendly bike and am looking to go out next weekend or so someplace interesting (no tarmac or gravel). i've been to the akatarawa's quite a few times -- which is cool -- but are there any other good places decent riding a day or so from wellington ? i don't mind a weekend away - happy to cross the rimutakas and see what is over there.

it's a shame they fenced off the beach past red rocks by the power plant :( was hoping to get to makara!

Mungatoke Mad
6th October 2012, 06:23
hey -- i'm located around wellington -- just got a little more dirt friendly bike and am looking to go out next weekend or so someplace interesting (no tarmac or gravel). i've been to the akatarawa's quite a few times -- which is cool -- but are there any other good places decent riding a day or so from wellington ? i don't mind a weekend away - happy to cross the rimutakas and see what is over there.

Haurangis is a good spot 2 start take white rock rd just south of martinbrough bout 5kms turn right onto Ruakokoputuna Rd follow that 4 about 25mins to the gate close it after you 5mis up the road is a doc hut that you can book or a couple more K's 2 the top carpark and you can ride from there down to Sutherland's hut a good place to stay :drinkup: and explore the tracks right through to the south coast

thorns
9th October 2012, 06:49
Can anyone suggest any motocross tracks which are open to the public in the weekend around Christchurch?
I know of the Waikmak tracks, and also Greta Valley, but are there any others to look at?

Whats the story with the one on Weedons Ross road? Is it a members only track?

Metal Doctor
26th October 2012, 13:08
Dont know if its been mentioned here yet but THE BIKE PARK at THE FARM is an awesome place to ride, hundreds of km's of tracks with different leves of difficulty. Super cool family running it, they have huts to rent for sleeping in and camping facilitys. Clay base with bush tracks, trails and MX track.

its about 30mins north of Whangarei on the road to Russel.

http://www.thefarm.co.nz/

ARIKI DRZ ROURU
12th June 2013, 15:38
you have a dirtbike too? Other wise, you may scratch the plastics on teh cbr....

Im keen to meet up with people and go for a thrash sometime, just about to finish of my long term dr250 project, and get a ute.

Yea, karapoti, would definately be keen, is that the main legal track for us?

Sam

**edit** ok, here are the directions, drove out there with mrs last night...

From upper hutt, head towards te marua speedway, as you leave upper hutt, take the akatarawa rd (left), and push your trip meter to "0" drive for 5.5kms, and then the road has a fork, with a side road to the left, head down there, and turn left sharp, onto a one way bridge, and drive for another 1.5kms, over one more dodgy as all hell wooden bridge, and there is a large car park.(park up, and bikes out)

i have not gone any further than this, but i may just get the old pedal power out, and have a look upthere, until i get the engine finished on the dr.

Regards

sam

ill be keen to rock with you bro hit me up

Flettner
15th June 2013, 17:06
Epic Events, Taupo trail rides, most excellent fun!

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t380/uniflow/IMG_8860_zpsd6b580d7.jpg
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t380/uniflow/IMG_8844_zpsa99501b1.jpg

Blagger
29th July 2013, 20:45
Haurangis is a good spot 2 start take white rock rd just south of martinbrough bout 5kms turn right onto Ruakokoputuna Rd follow that 4 about 25mins to the gate close it after you 5mis up the road is a doc hut that you can book or a couple more K's 2 the top carpark and you can ride from there down to Sutherland's hut a good place to stay :drinkup: and explore the tracks right through to the south coast

Having just been up that way MM is right - it's an ok run once you're up there but if you go up the hill before Sutherlands Hut do it in the dry - I may only be an average rider but the people over on the adventure thread have called it CNut Hill for a reason - there are a couple of rock-strewn steep sections of the track that are a real arse.

Having done both I'd say that a good weekday run through Karapoti/Maungatuks without any farkin quads coming the other way is an overall better experience

Yami
28th August 2013, 22:14
This thread is for places to ride,these are upper North Island,(thanks Firefight)other areas please put in what you have.

1) The Sandpit, Woodhill forest, SHW 16/ take Rimmers rd head to coast, bike park well sign posted, Open Wed to Sunday, late night Thursday during summer, provides access to 1000 acres and 200kms of sand based tracks, Sand Moto X track. Kids tracks etc. Free break down service with 4x4 650cc Quad, Toilet and wash down facilities. For rates/info www.thesandpit.co.nz.

2)Thunder Valley Bike park SHW 22, about 30 mins sou west of Tuakau.
750 acres of hill country rides, A & B track, swamps, forest, bush, Moto x track, hilly stuff, fast open hay paddocks, heaps of natural formed jumps and man made jumps, I think open Wednesday to Sunday, safe/secure parking,
was about NZ$20.00 per rider, (A) track not suitable for kids or newbies.

3) Jam track, located left hand side clevedon to dudders road, small moto x track and 7-8 min bush track, tricky in wet, but lots of fun.

4)Fletchers Arariumu, small private track, not bad, used to charge NZ$ 15.00

5) If your into Moto X, Ardmore is at very active well run club, bloody good safe track, for newbies and pros, from papkura on the clevedon rd, just past ardmore airfeild turn off look for a KTM sign on right hand side.

6) If you don,t mind a bit of a drive, Kimmys farm at rotowaro west of Huntly has a good track, good motox track, and very good endro loop(11 ks I think)
used to be NZ$ 20.00, but have not ridden there this year.

7) Maratotos DOC run/honesty box, about 25 ks from Kopu as you head towards Paeroa, don,t ride it alone very isolated, and very challanging, ride creek beds, about 4 river crossings, rock slides tracks, bush, good value.

8) If your a good motox rider, Harrisville(Tuakau) is where its at, big jumps, fast track, good location, normally only open for big events or club pratice, if you want big air/broken bones go there.

Hi all, me & a mate have recently bought bikes again and keen to check out the Jam Track or other trail/enduro type tracks within 30-40mins of Pakuranga.
Not keen on MX tracks at this stage until back up to speed.
Any current contact #'s available for Jam Track or Arariumu or similar tracks?

Appreciate any feedback, cheers!

Blagger
27th October 2013, 15:16
Finally had a look into here - Featherston side of Rimutakas, by the twin bridges.

Looks recently graded, easy as, a bit of clay and whatnot amongst the beech trees at the top ridge so a tiny bit of unexpected slipping there but not much at all. About 10 mins to the top and mebbe 15mins Nor-West to the locked gate that looks over the camp at the foot of the Puffer Saddle

I couldn't find the ridge road headed the other way although the map says it's there

Overall an ok run but not really worth a visit unless you're passing through. Lock your vehicle, hide yo shit.

2fitty
25th April 2014, 19:50
Hey guys anyone know of any maize mx on round Auckland this weekend 27th April, heard there was some on in mercer but can't find any info online.

Bullock
25th April 2014, 22:09
Hey guys anyone know of any maize mx on round Auckland this weekend 27th April, heard there was some on in mercer but can't find any info online.

Try Mr Motorcycles in Pukekohe. I think they have something like that on Sunday .
Or look on silver bullet?

2fitty
25th April 2014, 22:59
Nothing on silver bullet that's why I asked

noobi
26th April 2014, 01:52
Nothing on silver bullet that's why I asked

http://www.mrmotorcycles.co.nz/funday-motocross

2fitty
26th April 2014, 15:46
http://www.mrmotorcycles.co.nz/funday-motocross

Sweet cheers man

mike williams
9th June 2014, 19:49
just thought i'd add my 2 cents...

spots up north around whangarei

went out to mahuta gap last weekend, sweet place to ride massive sand dunes and random 4wd tracks and this time of the year it's a bit hard packed so heaps of traction and not too much real soft sand, kept me and a couple mates entertained for the day, pretty keen on heading back asap to do some more exploring of the 25 km's+ of beach and dunes. http://www.zoomin.co.nz/kaipara/mahuta/mahuta+gap+road/

"The Farm" is mega slippery this time of the year, so if you're keen on a mud bath go for it lol, otherwise wait till summer and make a weekend of it (camping/piss up) seriously good riding up there. https://www.facebook.com/bikeparkatthefarm?fref=ts

ruakaka beach

use google maps, look for ruakaka race course, there's a beach entrance down by the main entry, theres a few 4wd tracks and dunes to play around on, good for a quick half day mish.....or search for tip rd waipu, same sort of scenario just more to ride.

if anyone has any more info on spots to ride up here, i'd be keen to know, still pretty new to northland, cheers.

2fitty
3rd September 2014, 19:54
Anybody have any news on thundercross? Is it opening up soon? Did it get sold?

Jay GTI
4th September 2014, 11:12
Anybody have any news on thundercross? Is it opening up soon? Did it get sold?

Good question, it was still fully functioning when I was there last, just before they closed for winter and James was still running it back then, so I assume it's not been sold.

They open at the beginning of September (their permit requires them to close over the winter months), so should be ok, but I'd just give them a quick call before heading down.

biketimus_prime
5th December 2014, 18:06
Is there anywhere close to albany on the north shore to go for a cheeky ride? Can I take it on the empty lands near the malls and stuff? Anyone had issues with cops?

unstuck
6th December 2014, 05:45
Is there anywhere close to albany on the north shore to go for a cheeky ride? Can I take it on the empty lands near the malls and stuff? Anyone had issues with cops?

I think you will find people will be offended if you ride around up there now. They hate to see people enjoying themselves, and it is a good idea not to be noisy in a city.:wacko:

biketimus_prime
6th December 2014, 07:56
I think you will find people will be offended if you ride around up there now. They hate to see people enjoying themselves, and it is a good idea not to be noisy in a city.:wacko:

Tell me about it. I'm even having trailer logistic issues now trying to go get this bike. It'll be a pain when trying to sort bike transport for weekend rides. I think I will sell my car and get a ute.

unstuck
6th December 2014, 14:20
Tell me about it. I'm even having trailer logistic issues now trying to go get this bike. It'll be a pain when trying to sort bike transport for weekend rides. I think I will sell my car and get a ute.

Ute, van or trailer is the way to go when you have a dirty. Sux borrowing or hiring trailers. I can get 3 bikes on the back of my ute, and 4 on the trailer.:banana::banana:

biketimus_prime
6th December 2014, 16:37
Ute, van or trailer is the way to go when you have a dirty. Sux borrowing or hiring trailers. I can get 3 bikes on the back of my ute, and 4 on the trailer.:banana::banana:

I bought a ute today. Pretty cheap too. Just over 2k for a nissan datsun single cab. Plenty of space for a dirt bike and I can use it for when I want to take my road bike to the track.

FAI
7th July 2016, 22:40
Any new spots around? specifically South of Auckland ?

RGVforme
8th July 2016, 09:44

Found a ute a bit limited for space for when carting and locking gear up while away from it.....Had a Van with a towbar for big missions....Can leave everything in it when your fucked from riding when you get home and just want a beer.

You can just get a KDX200 into a Hiace or Bongo if you back it in and compress the forks down a bit with a tiedown to make the bars fit under the roof...:msn-wink:

FAI
11th July 2016, 08:19
Any new spots around? specifically South of Auckland ?

Current list of spots all round NZ - http://www.mxvinny.com/#!mx-training-tracks/c50y

Saarg
3rd January 2017, 14:26
Check this out too
Dirt roads of bikes that are legal

https://www.facebook.com/SthAklAvGroup/posts/287730931594510

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crone
11th July 2017, 20:24
Hey all,

Does anyone have any updated spots for riding (mainly trail/enduro) around Auckland?
I live on the shore and ride most weekends at woodhill, are there any other spots close by?

Cheers!!!

slothracer
29th August 2017, 21:09
GOOD PLACES TO RIDE IN DUNEDIN!!!!
Titri park-1/2 hr drive south and cost $15 for non club members.

do you have anymore info on Herbert Forest? " like track maps etc

"Drive 3/4hr north to palmerston and go inland another 10min to forest.Heaps of good tracks and goes right through trotters gorge."

Waihola Forest -1/2 hr drive south just past Titri park.You do need a permit for forestry riding in Dunnos-Avaliable from all bike shops.

Silverpeaks-20min drive north of DunedinFairly overgrown and has a small old quarry.

Herbert Forest-Drive 3/4hr north to palmerston and go inland another 10min to forest.Heaps of good tracks and goes right through trotters gorge.

Mt Allan-20min drive from Dunedin out the back of Mosgiel.Ride tracks all day and have a blast-You do need a permit for here.

Dunstan Trail-50 mins from Dunedin and goes from clarks junction pub.

KOARSE COMPOUND-FMX riding only,supercross jumps from dirt to dirt and ramp to dirt.Not for the inexperienced rider.Invite only.For more info on Team KOARSE FMX contact me prydeengineering@xtra.co.nz.

do you have anymore info on Herbert Forest? " like track maps etc

SLIDA
26th November 2017, 13:45
Hey everyone does any one no any trail tracks for free around Hamilton area private or open to public please

steve_xland
27th November 2018, 14:37
Your closest is going to be Moto Central West of Huntly. IOt's about 15 minutes from Taupiri and a good place to ride in a controlled environment. Otherwise it a bit further out to Thunder Valley.
You can also watch silverbullet.co.nz & join in the event listed there. Most weekends have something on in the general vicinity.

Twilight MX events are fun too & not too hard... normally a class for everyone.

ClearMU
7th November 2019, 22:30
Hey there. Maybe I've missed that somewhere in the thread but I'd like to know where is better to go in late autumn (that means "now") to practice? Not very suicidal but challenging.

Calix Lee
17th November 2020, 12:42
I am not from NZ so I can't suggest a place where you can practice some stunt. I am sure Google can give you an accurate answer for this query.

Mellowdude
8th March 2021, 13:58
Hi All,

After many years without a bike I now have 13 year olds that are keen to go riding off road. As it was a key part and memory from my youth I'm keen to explore the idea.

They're more keen on the idea of some cross country vs track racing, I'm thinking CRF230/250's or similar, or 125 - 250 2-Strokes which is what I grew up with.

So, aside from Red Rocks on a Saturday and Karapoti, what are the options I could take them to on weekends with a bike trailer, gas and camping gear?

Thanks in adavance.

F5 Dave
8th March 2021, 19:29
https://trailntrack.co.nz/

Can stay in cabin, awesome host.

Think there are quieter cabin, ie dont go stay in main cabin when yobbos like us are there:msn-wink:

Mellowdude
8th March 2021, 22:24
https://trailntrack.co.nz/

Can stay in cabin, awesome host.

Think there are quieter cabin, ie dont go stay in main cabin when yobbos like us are there:msn-wink:

Looks great, thanks!

Atomic
30th April 2021, 20:09
Hey there,

A long time since I've hung out on KB, just back on a bike as of this month, first time since 2010!

I'm keen for any pro tips on where the best trail rides are at...I'm well aware of Silverbullet.co.nz but can't remember which ones were any good, I see there is one coming up in June called "Tunnels", has anyone done this before and recommend it? I'm keen on fast riding and technical trails, plenty of hill climbs and appreciate adventure and scenery. I used to frequent Epic Adv rides like Berm Buster and Desert Storm, are these still popular?

Auckland based but will travel north and south to Taupo-ish. Riding a 21 Kwaka KX250XC.

Hope everyone's well, cheers, Lance

F5 Dave
30th April 2021, 20:45
Berm buster is still popular.

Just did TracknTrail again, great venue to stay the night. There is trail riding too. Apparently the main track is quite good.

I however busted out 3 loops of the junior track, including the hill climb. A 5 yr old showed me the way around on his peewee. I was pretty impressive. First time I've ridden for 3 months. I think it rebroke my healing ribs whilst remaining in 1st and 2nd .