PDA

View Full Version : Places to ride off-road

Pages : [1] 2

Motu
11th January 2005, 06:55
This thread is for places to ride,these are upper North Island,(thanks Firefight)other areas please put in what you have.

1) The Sandpit, Woodhill forest, SHW 16/ take Rimmers rd head to coast, bike park well sign posted, Open Wed to Sunday, late night Thursday during summer, provides access to 1000 acres and 200kms of sand based tracks, Sand Moto X track. Kids tracks etc. Free break down service with 4x4 650cc Quad, Toilet and wash down facilities. For rates/info www.thesandpit.co.nz.

2)Thunder Valley Bike park SHW 22, about 30 mins sou west of Tuakau.
750 acres of hill country rides, A & B track, swamps, forest, bush, Moto x track, hilly stuff, fast open hay paddocks, heaps of natural formed jumps and man made jumps, I think open Wednesday to Sunday, safe/secure parking,
was about NZ$20.00 per rider, (A) track not suitable for kids or newbies.

3) Jam track, located left hand side clevedon to dudders road, small moto x track and 7-8 min bush track, tricky in wet, but lots of fun.

4)Fletchers Arariumu, small private track, not bad, used to charge NZ$ 15.00

5) If your into Moto X, Ardmore is at very active well run club, bloody good safe track, for newbies and pros, from papkura on the clevedon rd, just past ardmore airfeild turn off look for a KTM sign on right hand side.

6) If you don,t mind a bit of a drive, Kimmys farm at rotowaro west of Huntly has a good track, good motox track, and very good endro loop(11 ks I think)
used to be NZ$ 20.00, but have not ridden there this year.

7) Maratotos DOC run/honesty box, about 25 ks from Kopu as you head towards Paeroa, don,t ride it alone very isolated, and very challanging, ride creek beds, about 4 river crossings, rock slides tracks, bush, good value.

8) If your a good motox rider, Harrisville(Tuakau) is where its at, big jumps, fast track, good location, normally only open for big events or club pratice, if you want big air/broken bones go there.

duckman
11th January 2005, 10:32
Awesome guide there Motu.

That track at Aririmu, is that on a famers land ?? I think thats the track that I broke my collar bone on. :crazy:

I'm considering going back and retrying the "off-road" experience. I used to love spending days out at Woodhill and the bombing range but I was just soooo crap at woopdedoos that I'd crash everytime I went out.... The girlfriend started getting annoyed at playing nurse. (although I didn't) :love2:

Hitcher
11th January 2005, 10:35
Off road riding? Many Wellingtonian bikers favour the Rimutakas...

MSTRS
11th January 2005, 10:54
We understand the Manawatu Gorge can provide awesome riding at certain times of the year, however it is often closed???

SSS
27th January 2005, 13:34
Off road riding? Many Wellingtonian bikers favour the Rimutakas...

there is also a place up the akatarawa road, for us Welly folks,

I may go for a mission out there tonight, and post up directions tomorrow

sam :rockon:

Hitcher
27th January 2005, 13:40
there is also a place up the akatarawa road, for us Welly folks
"Lemming Corner", perhaps?

Coyote
27th January 2005, 13:59

Karapoti Track. There's heaps of trails up there and the major trail leads to the Paraparaumu Coast. Love to go up there some time

SSS
30th January 2005, 14:54
Karapoti Track. There's heaps of trails up there and the major trail leads to the Paraparaumu Coast. Love to go up there some time

You have a dirtbike too? other wise, you may scratch the plastics on teh CBR....

Im keen to meet up with people and go for a thrash sometime, just about to finish of my long term DR250 project, and get a Ute.

Yea, Karapoti, would definately be keen, is that the main Legal track for us?

sam

**EDIT** Ok, here are the directions, drove out there with Mrs last night...

From Upper hutt, head towards Te Marua Speedway, as you leave Upper Hutt, take the Akatarawa Rd (left), and push your Trip Meter to "0" drive for 5.5kms, and then the road has a Fork, with a side road to the LEFT, head down there, and turn left sharp, onto a One Way bridge, and drive for another 1.5kms, over one more dodgy as all hell wooden bridge, and there is a large car park.(park up, and bikes out)

I have not gone any further than this, but i may just get the old Pedal Power out, and have a look upthere, until i get the engine finished on the DR.

regards

sam

Firefight
6th March 2005, 17:27
This place at Reporoa is pretty good, got a lodge you can hire take up to 7 people, lots of tracks including motox..heres a link

www.terrainpark.co.nz

F/F

Morbid
29th March 2005, 14:06
Hey, new to offroading... but loving it.

Heard about a place to ride in Taupaki? Near Kumeu... aparantly theres some scramble ride there coming up - Annadales farm or something like that?

Is this open every weekend? Or only for one off events?

Basically want to find somewhere close to auckland to ride - that isnt so much sand - ie woodhill.... some where more farm like?

Cheers.

Firefight
29th March 2005, 16:39

Heard about a place to ride in Taupaki? Near Kumeu... aparantly theres some scramble ride there coming up - Annadales farm or something like that?

Basically want to find somewhere close to auckland to ride - that isnt so much sand - ie woodhill.... some where more farm like?

Cheers.

Contact Power adventures, they run scrambles there from time to time.
heres a link thingy.. www.poweradventures.co.nz
F/F

SNOman
10th May 2005, 14:58

Cheers.

Annandales is a 3 times a year thing through Power Adventures, they also do Fells farm near Kaukaupakaupa, as some else posted. Woodhill will be much better when the 'new' bike park is open

ridespy
13th May 2005, 21:36
Yes it is legal to ride in Karapoti, but you need to get a permit from the Upper Hutt office of the Wellington Regional Council, The permit is free, you just need to ring them up on 04 526 4133 and ask for one, and they will mail one out to you. It also comes with a help full little map. for more info check out this page http://www.gw.govt.nz/section550.cfm

You can also access Karapoti from Maungakotukutuku Valley just follow the sign to Kapiti Four x 4 Adventure from parapapaumu. They also have a little map on there web site showing how to get there. http://www.kapitifourx4.co.nz/general.shtml
There is no formal car park at the Maungakotukutuku Valley end, but most people just park on the side of the road opposite the quad place. Once you park up and unload, just ride accross the river and up the hill, there is a gate blocking the track but it has a gap for motorbikes to get in but not 4 wheel drives.

But beware that Karapoti can get quite busy and the tracks are all 2 way, so always keep left. And if you are new to trail riding avoid the Devils staircase and the rock garden.

Cary
23rd May 2005, 19:25
This thread is for places to ride,these are upper North Island,(thanks Firefight)other areas please put in what you have.

3) Jam track, located left hand side clevedon to dudders road, small moto x track and 7-8 min bush track, tricky in wet, but lots of fun.

5) If your into Moto X, Ardmore is at very active well run club, bloody good safe track, for newbies and pros, from papkura on the clevedon rd, just past ardmore airfeild turn off look for a KTM sign on right hand side.

8) If your a good motox rider, Harrisville(Tuakau) is where its at, big jumps, fast track, good location, normally only open for big events or club pratice, if you want big air/broken bones go there.

1. Don't go near Jam Track in the wet, it is all clay based and even a pro rider wouldn't make it round the enduro loop in one piece! (very steep, up & down)

2. Ardmore (sign now says YAMAHA) open Wed & Sundays for practice with 'Wildman series' race
day once a month Ph (09) 2680886 for whats on (the day of) message.

3. Harrisville open 1-3pm for practice on Sat & racing bout once/month on Sunday.

Big Dave
24th May 2005, 11:35
This looks well done:
http://www.ttbrc.co.nz

Doing the posters for the 100km race now

kn2rce
14th July 2005, 19:52
hey i live in sth akld and jst wondering where exactly is the jam track and can anyone go there and when is it usuallly available for use? ta

Firefight
15th July 2005, 07:32
hey i live in sth akld and jst wondering where exactly is the jam track and can anyone go there and when is it usuallly available for use? ta

Jam track is located between Clevedon and Dudders Regional Park on the "North Road", its on the left hand side on a sharp corner just opposite a milking shed which is very close to the road, it used to Have Jam written on letter box, you won,t be able to ride it atm too wet, you can normally ride any day of the week, the owner is a farmer who also rides and is a pretty good Dude, I think I have his phone number somewhere will look for it and pm you.

F/F

Wellyman
15th July 2005, 09:05
Jam track is located between Clevedon and Dudders Regional Park on the "North Road", its on the left hand side on a sharp corner just opposite a milking shed which is very close to the road, it used to Have Jam written on letter box, you won,t be able to ride it atm too wet, you can normally ride any day of the week, the owner is a farmer who also rides and is a pretty good Dude, I think I have his phone number somewhere will look for it and pm you.

F/F

I have never heard of this so called "jam track" what is it? a MX or a trail???
Have you ever been there dave?
WM

XTC
15th July 2005, 09:17
Jam track has a fairly crappy excuse for a MX track but the enduro trail thru the trees while being on the short side is alot of fun. steep in parts not too good in the wet.

Firefight
15th July 2005, 16:48
I have never heard of this so called "jam track" what is it? a MX or a trail???
Have you ever been there dave?
WM

Yeah been there heaps Dan, its a small moto X track, and has a bush loop, The guy who owns the Farm set it up for a practice track for himself, then others started to want to use it, Its not like Harrisville, but its ok for what it is, will take you out there in the spring if you like,

F/F

Wellyman
15th July 2005, 20:58
Yeah been there heaps Dan, its a small moto X track, and has a bush loop, The guy who owns the Farm set it up for a practice track for himself, then others started to want to use it, Its not like Harrisville, but its ok for what it is, will take you out there in the spring if you like,

F/F

Sounds like a great idea mate, my old fella will be well back into riding again by then, and maybe take some more of these tarmac lovers aswell and show them what a real 2 wheel ride is.

WM :ride:

spiller
20th July 2005, 11:52
Yes it is legal to ride in Karapoti, but you need to get a permit from the Upper Hutt office of the Wellington Regional Council, The permit is free, you just need to ring them up on 04 526 4133 and ask for one, and they will mail one out to you. It also comes with a help full little map. for more info check out this page http://www.gw.govt.nz/section550.cfm

You can also access Karapoti from Maungakotukutuku Valley just follow the sign to Kapiti Four x 4 Adventure from parapapaumu. They also have a little map on there web site showing how to get there. http://www.kapitifourx4.co.nz/general.shtml
There is no formal car park at the Maungakotukutuku Valley end, but most people just park on the side of the road opposite the quad place. Once you park up and unload, just ride accross the river and up the hill, there is a gate blocking the track but it has a gap for motorbikes to get in but not 4 wheel drives.

But beware that Karapoti can get quite busy and the tracks are all 2 way, so always keep left. And if you are new to trail riding avoid the Devils staircase and the rock garden.

Is there anything like this in Auckland? *Wishfull thinking!*

My mate who lives near riverhead is registered/has a key to ride his MTB in the forest, but takes a trail bike!...

Cary
20th July 2005, 20:00
Sounds like a great idea mate, my old fella will be well back into riding again by then, and maybe take some more of these tarmac lovers aswell and show them what a real 2 wheel ride is.

WM :ride:

I'll be into that to. :yes:

Wellyman
24th July 2005, 11:20
Is there anything like this in Auckland? *Wishfull thinking!*

My mate who lives near riverhead is registered/has a key to ride his MTB in the forest, but takes a trail bike!...

Spiller, I don't reccomend going to riverhead. it is a hard ride, if you love tree roots, mud and tight single track it is great but there are many better places to ride. Althouhg i'm anti Riverhead because i broke my gearshift lever there and had to ride ages to find help, but well thats another long story.
WM

Henk
29th July 2005, 18:00
I'm in the other camp. I love riding in riverhead, Yes it's tougher to ride than sand but it's also more rewarding, and the skills you develop in Riverhead can be used anywhere. The only time you can legaly ride there is at organised rides and I wouldn't recommend going inillegaly, the locals are getting quite good at finding out where people live and having tresspass notices issued that get you banned from all Carter Holt forests for two years at a time.
If you want to try the place there is a trail ride there on the 28th August and at this time of year it will probably be a grovel. Check out www.waitematamcc.co.nz if you want more details

trx400ex
4th October 2005, 19:26
any one got any good day rides/half day rides or tracks in waikato,looked on the net,cant find any.directions too thanx

Firefight
5th October 2005, 06:48
any one got any good day rides/half day rides or tracks in waikato,looked on the net,cant find any.directions too thanx

look again #2 & #6, if you need details of how to get there pm me.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=7804&page=1&pp=15

F/F

WRT
23rd November 2005, 12:39
Just been clearing out my junk, and found this amoungst my paperwork. I'm not sure how old it is, so the info might be a bit out of date, but there's phone numbers listed so just make sure you ring up first!

KiwiDan
3rd December 2005, 05:34
Is there anymore info on this jam track. Where exactly and who to contact. I live at Maraetai so it would be the best for me location wise:yes:

Chipster
22nd December 2005, 09:08
Just getting into enduro/offroad here in Northland. Anyone know of good bushtracks/mx tracks in th Kerikeri/East Coast area?

Danger
24th December 2005, 07:16
You gotta be careful up there. People think your out looking for their plots and tend to try and run you down in their 4x4's.

BILLY P
24th January 2006, 13:59
hi guy's.the maratoto tracks are awsome.did the big loop at xmas,they ask for $5 for bikes. also been to thunder valley bike park a few times now.good riding and well kept,the owner james fowlie is a awsome guy,we hired bikes off him for our xmas break up.great day.

Firefight
24th January 2006, 14:11
hi guy's.the maratoto tracks are awsome.did the big loop at xmas,they ask for $5 for bikes.

yeah the river crossings are pretty cool, but not atm , also the rock trail down the southern side is a good skills test, however its not a good trail to do alone.

F/F:wacko:

charles23
25th January 2006, 07:43
I was thinking over heading there this weekend but when I checked out the DOC web site they indicate that the track is closed from 5 Jan due to too many 4wd's getting stuck and needing recovery? How about back up the road at Neasvale (Kopu/Hikuwai) have you been through there recently? I came back through there last weekend and noticed a few quad trailers parked on the side of the road but they may have been part of a big police operation that was going on in the area, at twenty cop cars, spotter planes and helicopters spraying bombing the local crops..........

BILLY P
25th January 2006, 08:18
yea been through neasvile twice over christmas,awsome but don't go alone,maratoto's is open again we went on the 14th and 7/01/06.doc has done a lot of work there and it's in good condition

BILLY P
25th January 2006, 08:25
weve been riding up neasvile area since late 80's and everyone weve met up there have been friendly the worst thing is 4x4 guy's winching trees right out and smashing them off. gives us a bad name.

trumpy
25th January 2006, 08:28
Some good riding to be had here in Taupo in the Rangitaiki area. 20mins up the Napier /Taupo rd, park at the cafe on the left (real good people, have a beer or coffee there afterwards...don't go round futher to the Rangitaiki Pub as he is a grumpy old prick!!), cross over the bridge and into the gravel pit on the other side of the road and away you go. All the way out the back and return is about 45ks.
PM me if you are down this way and want some company, we're always keen for a ride (unless I'm on the road bike or on the water!)

BILLY P
26th January 2006, 16:23
cheers for that trumpy. good to know. looked like there was riding out there on the right to have you been in there.

DingDong
26th January 2006, 16:26
Thompsons Track BOP, very rough and challenging

Rowe Rd Tauranga has a great moto track

BILLY P
27th January 2006, 12:26
cheers wayne,have you got more info on thompsons track weve always wanted to go there but not sure where it is{ sounds good]

Wolf
31st January 2006, 12:17
I'm looking for a track open to the public in the Hamilton area, preferably with a fairly tame segment (no harsher than the BMX track on near Minogue Park, Moore St, Hamilton if you know it) suitable for my kids to learn to ride off road.

Also interested in other tracks in the Hamilton area open for the public to take their bikes out for a bit of a "play".

Any ideas?

trx400ex
5th February 2006, 18:07
you could try out behind the cock and bull out te rapa,i go there with my quad now and again,good learning area,just learnin meself!

Wolf
5th February 2006, 22:21
you could try out behind the cock and bull out te rapa,i go there with my quad now and again,good learning area,just learnin meself!
It's open to public "making a nuisance" of themselves?

trx400ex
6th February 2006, 13:54
na my brother knows the guy who owns the land,he says its all good.
i have a standard,and quiet exhaust on my bike so it doesnt seem to annoy anyone.
im not into being a menace on my bike,if im unsure at all i wouldnt go there cos i dont want bike riders to get a bad rap cos thats wot ruins it for everyone,give it a go,never had a complaint yet.if i ever did id stop goin there.

Wolf
6th February 2006, 16:04
na my brother knows the guy who owns the land,he says its all good.
i have a standard,and quiet exhaust on my bike so it doesnt seem to annoy anyone.
im not into being a menace on my bike,if im unsure at all i wouldnt go there cos i dont want bike riders to get a bad rap cos thats wot ruins it for everyone,give it a go,never had a complaint yet.if i ever did id stop goin there.
Cheers. Once I get the bike sorted out I'll PM you and we can hook up and head out there.

trx400ex
7th February 2006, 18:45
yeah sweet im in!!:scooter:

wildfire
23rd February 2006, 18:37
Hey whats up everyone, I am just new here obviously but was just wondering if anyone knows of any good places to ride in Southland? like MX tracks, Trail etc... ? If anyone on here lives in Southland who is keen on riding contact me at the.disciple@gmail.com

I've been riding about 12 years now there isn't any place I can't ride I mainly ride on the beach these days out at oreti beach some pretty cool tracks there that go through the sand dunes and stuff but I find that is sand too hard on my bike so want to know if there are any decent tracks to ride on that you don't have to pay too much to ride on. :psst:

Wellyman
20th April 2006, 23:55
Have a look in Bikemart or kiwirider for dates as there is a fair bt going on down their, also Blue Wing Honda do a summer trail ride series , were you can win a bike , just like I did. hope this helps.
WM

Baldyman
25th April 2006, 14:15
I am a newbie to trail riding and was wanting to know if there are any places in Franklin (Pukekohe/Waiuku) to ride. As I am just learning, are there any easy and hopefully free places to ride for practice before I venture out to Thundercross or Woodhill. Cheers.

Wellyman
27th April 2006, 21:17
Sure man, Woodhill isn't in the greatest condition and Thundercross isn't great at the moment after alot of rain. Woodhill is rideable but the whoops are hard work, I personally don't mind, just my thoughts on both tracks.
WM

Ryaz
5th June 2006, 10:52
Sure man, Woodhill isn't in the greatest condition and Thundercross isn't great at the moment after alot of rain. Woodhill is rideable but the whoops are hard work, I personally don't mind, just my thoughts on both tracks.
WM
Went to Woodhill a few days ago and theres heaps more whoops, gives the old legs a thrashing ;) Anyone know some more places here in Rodney to ride?

BILLY P
25th July 2006, 13:11
hi dude' i'm from puke too. nowhere to ride for free but kimmy's farm is awsome in summer.also thundercross park awsome caters for all levels.

cheese
25th July 2006, 16:05
should we all head to Thundercross then?

Ryaz
26th July 2006, 07:21
should we all head to Thundercross then?

If my mates avail. we might be going to Ardmore or Thunder??

Wellyman
26th July 2006, 20:45
Thundercross would be a bloody shit hole at the moment. it hasn't be bad weather i suppose, but it is crap in the winter. its slippery and boggy and not fun at all.
WM

Firefight
27th July 2006, 04:40
Thundercross would be a bloody shit hole at the moment. it hasn't be bad weather i suppose, but it is crap in the winter. its slippery and boggy and not fun at all.
WM

No its not, very rideable, and some riders prefer that challange Dan.

F/F

cheese
27th July 2006, 10:55
I might have a wee blat around waterford on saturday then, might see some of you guys there.

telliman
27th July 2006, 13:15
gee that will be fun,yeah waterford,lets go there,...after the dry weather we're experiencing why the fuck would you waste your time on bike going there, unless that place is your idea of a good ride of course in which case you enjoy buddy,be sure to let us know wat it was like ...

Ryaz
28th July 2006, 07:18
gee that will be fun,yeah waterford,lets go there,...after the dry weather we're experiencing why the fuck would you waste your time on bike going there, unless that place is your idea of a good ride of course in which case you enjoy buddy,be sure to let us know wat it was like ...

Woah settle down dude :scooter:

cheese
28th July 2006, 08:46
Um what did I say, I'll be going to waterford because I've only got a short time to have a ride and it's only 30 mins from my house. I really want to go to Thundercorss, but it's more of a day trip for me from the shore. I quite enjoy riding at waterford. I'm learning how to jump properly, so it's good to learn. Those big table tops are great.

Boosted
28th July 2006, 09:02
Wheres waterford?

Buddy L
28th July 2006, 09:07
first that i have heard of this place as well, will have to make a mission their one day and find out, have a blast.

cheese
28th July 2006, 11:49
It's quite good fun. It's quite tight and technical, but just about all table tops, so good to learn on.

cheese
28th July 2006, 12:02
oh to get there is really easy, you know the speedway in onehunga, it's nearly next door. on Captian Springs Road.

It's $20 to ride there. not too bad if the rain has held off for a bit.

SARGE
28th July 2006, 12:41
here ya go... open with excel (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=585311&postcount=4)

Wellyman
7th August 2006, 10:11
No its not, very rideable, and some riders prefer that challange Dan.

F/F
ok whatever , I have pretty much gave up riding.
WM

BILLY P
5th September 2006, 16:28
Hi Dude Just Been Over To Neasvile And Maratoto On The Weekend Wet And Slippery But Awsome Fun 5/9/06.

cheese
5th September 2006, 16:49
Where is that?

charles23
6th September 2006, 12:43
We are heading to Neasvale this coming Sunday. Where did you guys park? I rang DOC and they said that Maratoto was closed as it was unpassable due to major slips?

BILLY P
7th September 2006, 13:22
WE PARKED ON OLD NEASVILE RD THIS TIME.PARK AT END OF METAL RD THERE IS A TURNING AREA UP THERE.{long way in} YOU CAN RIDE RIGHT TO KOPU THEN DOWN THE ROAD AND BACK UP STADIA STREAM.CHEERS

BILLY P
7th September 2006, 13:24
Turn Left At Kopu As Though You Are Going To Whitianga Then Top Of The Ranges On Your Right There Is A Car Park

charles23
7th September 2006, 20:23
Thanks for that, we are heading there this Sunday, will let you know how we get on.

barty5
7th September 2006, 23:05
Turn Left At Kopu As Though You Are Going To Whitianga Then Top Of The Ranges On Your Right There Is A Car Park
im guessing you mean you go up the old kopu croglen rd???

okill
11th October 2006, 10:48
You have a dirtbike too? other wise, you may scratch the plastics on teh CBR....

Im keen to meet up with people and go for a thrash sometime, just about to finish of my long term DR250 project, and get a Ute.

sam

From Upper hutt, head towards Te Marua Speedway, as you leave Upper Hutt, take the Akatarawa Rd (left), and push your Trip Meter to "0" drive for 5.5kms, and then the road has a Fork, with a side road to the LEFT, head down there, and turn left sharp, onto a One Way bridge, and drive for another 1.5kms, over one more dodgy as all hell wooden bridge, and there is a large car park.(park up, and bikes out)

I have not gone any further than this, but i may just get the old Pedal Power out, and have a look upthere, until i get the engine finished on the DR.

regards

sam

yep karapoti is quite decent fun i live in waikanae so comein from the mangatokuku side just gota remeber its a 2 way track so stay leftit is also used by quads and 4wd so be careful in some areas

Woody@nztrails.com
12th October 2006, 21:32
Thanks for that, we are heading there this Sunday, will let you know how we get on.

How did you go? I love riding on the Morototo, Stadia and Grapevine (Neasville) tracks but you gotta pick you timing - much easier after a decent dry spell. Ended up doing both the Grapevine and the Morototo after storms last summer and the bogs were huge. Theres some photos from the Morototo ride on our website. Great day out - can't wait to go again.

FYI - Morototo is controlled by DOC and they gave me a phone number to check track conditions and if it's open or not. (09) 524 2132 is the number but it's been engaged every time I call it lately? Normally only open from Labour weekend to Easter I think. The Grapevine and Stadia are a mixture of Crown and private land but I believe are open for any one to use. I'm told they link up but we've never managed to work out where or how?

charles23
13th October 2006, 07:09
unfortunately we didn't make down there that weekend as there had been just too much rain in the days before. Hoping to head there next chance we get. I checked out your review on the Maratoto track, great pics!!! looks like you had some fun.

snarldom
4th November 2006, 14:25
can anyone tell me what the deal is with riding at digger mcewen park? are there set days for practice?

trumpy
4th November 2006, 14:43
can anyone tell me what the deal is with riding at digger mcewen park? are there set days for practice?

Haven't used it since my son stopped riding dirt bikes, but there never used to be. If you weren't a club member with a key you just went to the BP garage round the corner (Energy Centrepoint) paid yer monies and got the key. Shouldn't think it's any different now.
Only restrictions usually are just before a major event (to allow grooming to occur) and sometimes in the summer they have to close it if it's too dusty.

baldwookie
7th November 2006, 16:12
The routine now seems to be see the boys at Daryll Augusts for the key pays ya money go ride... but can't vouch for the day...
If ya heading north of Dorkland check out www.thefarm.co.nz 1,000 acres of dairy farm and bush to rark round on with accommodation and meals if ya like... or take your own only 1/2 hour north of Whangarei on the Old Russel road... actually get ya mates to drive the bikes up and fang up on ya road bike nice wee road...:Punk:

Wellyman
7th November 2006, 16:31
You have to get a key to get access to Digger Mc Ewen, and very few have a key, and I have ridden their , but I cant remember how we got the key, but have a look on the site www.taupomcc.co.nz, try a phone number from the site and see ow you go.
WM

redshark
27th December 2006, 08:12
Video :Quadbiking for Gourmets (http://www.ilovedahab.com/tb-video.php?e=SL8F8-Bsb2E)
enjoy the ride ... greets from Dahab ... an Eldorado for Off Road Bikers !!!
... :Punk: ... Red

faithrider
10th February 2007, 16:28
Anyone out there with a spare few million $$$ who wants to buy some land on the north shore or out near snowplanet would be awesome :-) With all of the tracks closing everywhere, theres very few places to ride now and getting further away. It won't be long before they start banning dirt bikes all together....sux

snarldom
12th February 2007, 08:20
Was thinking about something like that, only problem - as you pointed out - you gotta be loaded to get started. I was thinking WAY out of town, would be a couple of hours drive for most people, funny thing tho, got full backing from the missus!!
I was thinking of doing a proper bike park with mx track, sx track, bmx, skateboard, all that stuff for everybody, and maybe have a secure monitored storage building for people to keep there bikes and stuff.
Dont know how well it would be recieved tho, for such a big outlay.

GR81
12th February 2007, 10:36
there are a few tracks 2 hours away, its the ones 30mins-1hour away people want ;)

faithrider
12th February 2007, 20:17
where are these tracks? Sux being on the shore there is so much good land north of albany but with the price of land so high and houses getting built on every bit of land there will never be anywhere to ride. Not to mention neigbours who complain.
Indoor SX would be awesome and probably be the way to go. It would be really loud inside but would stop most of the noise outside and with all the fumes would have to have good air ventilation systems. Would be worth a look into...

cheese
15th February 2007, 15:10
me and my wife had the same plan, but it doens't matter you'll need to be miles out and the concent will be a nightmare.

Gayest thing is that the motorway makes more noise....... go figure....

xxblackbirdxx
16th February 2007, 12:25

Cheers.

The scrambles at Annandales farm is organised by Power Adventures(same guys run the woodhill bike park and also run the GNCC series)
The Annandale track is a temporary track done up only for events which are few and far between.
Try Kimmys farm at huntly. One of the best enduro loops and pretty good MX track as well. They now charge $30 per day or you could get a seasons pass for 300 bucks. It is a bit of a drive but what the heck its only going to add 30 odd minutes to your travel time each way if you were going elsewhere for a ride .
There is also a MX track at Onehunga.Fairly simple but close to home i guess

faithrider
17th February 2007, 14:01
Waht about around Dairy Flat area, there is some good land around that area, I wonder what that would be like?
I suppose it really depends on neighbours, council etc

offroadvietnam
2nd March 2007, 21:59
Nice places, nice bikes. Wish we had those to ride in Vietnam.

faithrider
9th March 2007, 12:22
lol yeah.... Good to hear bout ardmore reopening.

Blue Velvet
30th March 2007, 16:57

Waiotauru Hut through Tararua Forest Park:
http://www.tramper.co.nz/huts/index.cfm?view=object&id=1781

Access via track at summit of Akatarawa Road. Approx 16km to Hut. Track used by 4WD's as well. A good ride.

uksteve
27th May 2007, 18:53

1) Woodhill forest, SHW 16/ take rimmers rd head to coast, bike park well sign posted, free weekdays, Saturday/sunday & public holidays, NZ$ 20.00 per bike, $16.00 for Hondas, provides access to 1000 acres of sand based tracks, free break down servicewith 4x4 500cc Quad and medical care should you bump into our tress.Sand based.

750 acres of hill country rides, A & B track, swamps, forest, bush, Moto x track, hilly stuff, fast open hay paddocks, heaps of natural formed jumps and man made jumps, I think open Wednesday to Sunday, safe/secure parking,

6) If you don,t mind a bit of a drive, Kimmys farm at rotowaro west of Huntly has a good track, good motox track, and very good endro loop(11 ks I think)

7) Maratotos DOC run/honesty box, about 25 ks from Kopu as you head towards Paeroa, don,t ride it alone very isolated, and very challanging, ride creek beds, about 4 river crossings, rock slides tracks, bush, good value.

Hi Guys, any one know the addresses and phone numbers of the above. Have looked in the on line white pages and nothing.
Thanks

Steve

B0000M
15th June 2007, 19:48
Hi Guys, any one know the addresses and phone numbers of the above. Have looked in the on line white pages and nothing.
Thanks

Steve

kimmies, goto kimmies.co.nz

go to huntly, go west, over the bridge, follow this road until you get to a road with a big overhead conveyor thing over it, go down there till you get there.

Woodhill, head out kumeu way, carry on until you see signs

Ardmore, directions above, follow bikes on trailers! :yes:

uksteve
17th June 2007, 09:03
Thanks Boooom

PRYDEE
10th July 2007, 12:44
GOOD PLACES TO RIDE IN DUNEDIN!!!!
Titri park-1/2 hr drive south and cost $15 for non club members.

Waihola Forest -1/2 hr drive south just past Titri park.You do need a permit for forestry riding in Dunnos-Avaliable from all bike shops.

Silverpeaks-20min drive north of DunedinFairly overgrown and has a small old quarry.

Herbert Forest-Drive 3/4hr north to palmerston and go inland another 10min to forest.Heaps of good tracks and goes right through trotters gorge.

Mt Allan-20min drive from Dunedin out the back of Mosgiel.Ride tracks all day and have a blast-You do need a permit for here.

Dunstan Trail-50 mins from Dunedin and goes from clarks junction pub.

KOARSE COMPOUND-FMX riding only,supercross jumps from dirt to dirt and ramp to dirt.Not for the inexperienced rider.Invite only.For more info on Team KOARSE FMX contact me prydeengineering@xtra.co.nz.

dammad1
10th July 2007, 22:03
GOOD PLACES TO RIDE IN DUNEDIN!!!!
Titri park-1/2 hr drive south and cost $15 for non club members.

Waihola Forest -1/2 hr drive south just past Titri park.You do need a permit for forestry riding in Dunnos-Avaliable from all bike shops.

Silverpeaks-20min drive north of DunedinFairly overgrown and has a small old quarry.

Herbert Forest-Drive 3/4hr north to palmerston and go inland another 10min to forest.Heaps of good tracks and goes right through trotters gorge.

Mt Allan-20min drive from Dunedin out the back of Mosgiel.Ride tracks all day and have a blast-You do need a permit for here.

Dunstan Trail-50 mins from Dunedin and goes from clarks junction pub.

KOARSE COMPOUND-FMX riding only,supercross jumps from dirt to dirt and ramp to dirt.Not for the inexperienced rider.Invite only.For more info on Team KOARSE FMX contact me prydeengineering@xtra.co.nz.

You lucky buggers!

raglanash
17th July 2007, 16:53
Found a little practice track just south of hamilton in Pirongia.
Head south out of pirongia on the main road, ya get about 5k out of town and there is a massive straight, about a k down on the right is a small shed and a gate, next to the gate on the fence is a motorcycle tyre, open the gate and go through. just past the first shed on the right there is another shed by a gate, stop and go in, there is an honesty box which you put $10 in and sign your life away, keep following the track up and over the hill, go through a double gate carry on down hill now to the next gate, behind this gate is where you park. DO NOT HOON AROUND AND OR SKID UP THIS PADDOCK!!! You will get us all kicked out, not to mention getting your own ass kicked by the farm owner. Go across the creek and you will see it, it"s a few tracks cut into the scrub with a massive hill. Good fun for a bit of a muck around, I think DK and a few other moto guys practice out there, there are no jumps, i think it's a saftey thing..
There are some pretty nice berms and nice flowing trails and some massive ruts those guys have carved in and some cool figure 8 ruts, it's good practice.
Takes a good 3-4min to get around. Pretty rough at the best of times.
Its clay.
Have fun, if you can find it....
And you didn't hear it from me... (seriously you just heard it from some guy at the pub..)

keith55
22nd July 2007, 16:14
Just how much interest is there in dirt bike circuits? I am thinking of setting one up on my farm. Be about 10 ks long. Easy to tricky bits. Just north of Whangarei. Hukerenui. Part of Greg Powers hooker circuit, the pine block. Just need to know if it worth setting up before I go ahead with it. Let me know your views, ideas

Rupe
24th July 2007, 21:53
Just how much interest is there in dirt bike circuits? I am thinking of setting one up on my farm. Be about 10 ks long. Easy to tricky bits. Just north of Whangarei. Hukerenui. Part of Greg Powers hooker circuit, the pine block. Just need to know if it worth setting up before I go ahead with it. Let me know your views, ideas

I'd say you'd get a fair bit of interest. Anyone up that way be of any more help????

takitimu
24th July 2007, 23:13
Sounds awesome, especially if it was all year around & it meant we had a place to ride Sunday's in winter.
One Wed night's there's a decent group doing rides between Keri & Ohaiwai, I'm not to sure if they'd be keen on going down to Hukerenui in summer, but I know they were talking of making a bit of a circuit of the places we have to ride.
I'll ask on Sunday & PM you with what everyone thinks of your idea.
Not sure if you know Wazza or Al Whatmough but they'd be good guys to run your idea past, they know alot more riders up here than me.

keith55
25th July 2007, 12:41
It would be closed in winter. Gets bloody soggy here. Don't really know any riders around here, that is why I am trying this forum.

Wellyman
30th July 2007, 00:44

Keith, I may know you.... We started up the huka trail ride up north, used to own the pub.....
PM me for more info..
WM

kezzafish
15th August 2007, 18:53

sam

regards

sam
Karapiti is quite fun, hard if you fall, it's rocky as hell, watch out for mountain bikers coming the other way too, I'm in wgtn city but i go to Himatangi when i ride, Big forrest along the beach full of trails and a small set of dunes at the north end. I's a commercial pine forrest so theres heaps of space to make your own trails and find some cool hillclimbs and jumps

kezzafish
15th August 2007, 19:08
Not sure what i'm replying to here (what's a thread?) i'm new to this but i'll figure it out! Me and my mate ride every 2nd weekend, usually in Himatangi or Otaki but we're keen as to find some new spots (who isn't!), and meet up with some like minded fools to thrash with, I'm in Wgtn city and my mate's in Wainui i ride DRZ400 (averagely) and he rides a 700cc Raptor (quite well). I'm 21 and he's 41 so there's no age requirements!! Send me a personal message on this if interested or email/MSN Kezzafish@gmail.com

cowpoos
3rd September 2007, 13:33
wheres some good places to play around Hamilton?? and who plays around here regularly??

dammad1
3rd September 2007, 19:28
Kimmys and thunderx

Wellyman
6th September 2007, 11:36
Thundercross Valley Is Reopen!

9am-6pm Wednesday Till Sunday!
Thats right mid-week riding!
WM

alanimal
12th September 2007, 15:15
are you allowed to ride in Riverhead Forest? Accessable from Blackbridge Road/Bald Hill?

Danger
13th September 2007, 00:06
I'm afraid not.

Boosted
17th September 2007, 21:01
what about the end of pebblebrook rd, wainui? i heard theres a road on the right that goes thou some bush alot of locals ride in

kiwitoe
9th October 2007, 21:41

If ya do, let me know Tony @ shaw motorcycles whangarei I will let people know... will it be quad friendly :eek:

dblewett
10th October 2007, 20:36
for more info on kimmys mx park go to www.kimmys.co.nz

keith55
15th October 2007, 08:46
If ya do, let me know Tony @ shaw motorcycles whangarei I will let people know... will it be quad friendly :eek:

Yes, it will be up and running, hopefully early November. Just might have to get a bike myself, it is looking really good. Quad friendly, yes. All the really interesting bits have an easy variation. And do quads really count as dirt bike??

Danger
15th October 2007, 11:19

Thats a great piece of land for a fun track! Please post when you get this up and running. Its a bit of a trek from Auckland but could make the trip occasionally for somewhere different. What about an option to camp on the land? We could arrange a Kiwi Biker weekend up there.

keith55
15th October 2007, 19:39
What do you guys look for in a circuit? Been checking things out (on line) and the ones available seem remarkably boring. Speed....... is that it? Rolling country, easy tracks, perhaps an easy jump? Is that what you want? I am not a bike rider. I just see what I think could be an interesting ride and if a few riders don't make it, I think....... GREAT.
Still don't have an opening date but a camping site will be available

dammad1
15th October 2007, 19:47
What do you guys look for in a circuit? Been checking things out (on line) and the ones available seem remarkably boring. Speed....... is that it? Rolling country, easy tracks, perhaps an easy jump? Is that what you want? I am not a bike rider. I just see what I think could be an interesting ride and if a few riders don't make it, I think....... GREAT.

Variation is what makes a good ride, so try and mix it up.

keith55
15th October 2007, 19:54
Just saw the option of posting a photo. From Greg Powers last trail ride.
Asked Di (my wife) to get some warning tape today. (like the police use)........ something like "Caution, unidentified body"

snarldom
17th October 2007, 16:38
What days are you thinking about having your track open?

rijekaz
19th October 2007, 20:02

Mixing it up a bit would work everyone likes different terrain, personally I don't care for the tight technical stuff but many guys like it. Fast with some jumps thrown in some nice corners hills and stuff all good.

If it's to easy it get's boring quick but you don't want to many accidents either it's a family sport so the kids need to be able to get around it as well.

headlesschicken
19th October 2007, 20:21
can anybody shed some light on tracks in or around christchurch?
I've heard about mcleans island but have no idea what its like. just bought a trail bike and looking for some amateur stuff with a bit of a challenge.

Wellyman
20th October 2007, 11:48
Keith You Have PM.
WM

cave weta
20th October 2007, 13:20
I run tours on the Coromandel and and use the Neavesville and Maratoto tracks as well as other private farms and forestry areas. The gold mining and Kauri logging history is awesome here and I know where all the good stuff is.
Hell- you even get to ride underground on my tour!
go here if you want to see photos! www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31520

If anyone wishes to put a group together of say 4-12 riders I will take you through these areas with full backup, lunches, the works!

or e mail me stuart@overthetopadventures.co.nz

keith55
20th October 2007, 18:44
Mixing it up a bit would work everyone likes different terrain, personally I don't care for the tight technical stuff but many guys like it. Fast with some jumps thrown in some nice corners hills and stuff all good.

If it's to easy it get's boring quick but you don't want to many accidents either it's a family sport so the kids need to be able to get around it as well.

Initially, I am thinking of only being open weekends. Christmas, New Year may be open continuous, depends on the interest.
My son, Dylan just rode the circuit on his quad. First time ever. And loved it. Smidgin over 10Ks. Had to leave some of the circuit out, still toooooooo wet. Put the tractor on it to start clearing it, and very gingerly got off it again. He will do it again tomorrow on his trail bike. This is more an experienced riders course. Clay based, slippery when wet. There will be novice stuff available......... depends on the interest for it.
Plan on opening first weekend in November.
3rd and 4th November
Cost: $20 bucks a day
Time: 10am to 3pm
Email kmenefy@farmside.co.nz
Still have to work out a disclaimer form to be signed by all riders yet. Something along the lines of "If you kill yourselves, the bike belongs to me" seems to work alright. There is some tricky stuff out there, but the tractor can do the complete circuit and bikes can go anywhere......right?

cave weta
20th October 2007, 18:59
Kieth- dont be scared to loop the track back close to itself where possible. Do what you can to make it longer, cos a 10 km loop with 50 bikes on it will get each bog and rutty hill hit by about 250 bikes each day. Where as a longer loop will ease congestion and damage, means less work for you and more fun for the riders. Most organised trailrides use a main loop of 25-30km.
Best of luck with it all!

keith55
20th October 2007, 19:07
Oh Sh.t
Knew I had forgotten something.
Where the hell are you?
Hukerenui...25Ks north of Whangarei.....Just north of the pub is a road to the right. Tapuhi road. We are 12Ks up, actually on Nelsons Rd which is just a continuation. Rapid # 71 Nelsons Rd. Just come on in, we (I) will be at the barn. We work it out from there. (long drive.........750 metres 2 fords)
Any questions....... Ask
I know I have forgotten something

keith55
20th October 2007, 19:16
Braefern (not Brefern) is the name of the farm.
I will get it right.
Eventually.

cave weta
20th October 2007, 19:19
List your ride dates and details on Silver bullet (http://www.silverbullet.co.nz). Everybody uses it and I get over half my bookings from it and the events section in the back of Kiwirider.
Serve drinks and have a barbie at lunchtime. make sure that St Johns know about your event and the directions to get there also tell them that you have a prepped designated helicopter pad that is accessable by two wheel drive ambulance. Also good to have a back board and a farm quad ready at sign in tent. DON'T ask me how I know these things!!!!

keith55
30th October 2007, 08:58
Is there a standard set of signs for the trail ride circuit? I have looked on the web and can't find anything. I'm pretty sure I know most of them and what they mean, but I do want to stick to the standard if there is one.

cave weta
30th October 2007, 17:13
Is there a standard set of signs for the trail ride circuit? I have looked on the web and can't find anything. I'm pretty sure I know most of them and what they mean, but I do want to stick to the standard if there is one.

Yep keith, you will find that the main trail arrows are usually flouro red with the B grade bypasses in flouro yellow. OR the main trail arrows are flouro yellow with the A grade sections in flouro red. Two arrows pointing down means SLOW! two arrows crossed means WRONG WAY!:2thumbsup have a big board explaining your system at the start gate.

keith55
30th October 2007, 19:57
Yep keith, you will find that the main trail arrows are usually flouro red with the B grade bypasses in flouro yellow. OR the main trail arrows are flouro yellow with the A grade sections in flouro red. Two arrows pointing down means SLOW! two arrows crossed means WRONG WAY!:2thumbsup have a big board explaining your system at the start gate.

two arrows crossed means WRONG WAY!:
Or it means a jump..... that is the one I am really concerned about. I don't have jumps yet, but I do have wrong way. And there is confusion over this one. I have been told a circle with a cross in is better for wrong way. (just today to, after sticking out crossed arrows) Any third opinion?

keith55
30th October 2007, 20:06
But thanks Stuart. (Cave Weta?) you have been a great help. The "prepped designated helicopter pad" seems way over the top but am checking that out with St Johns tomorrow. Can't I just leave em there?

dammad1
30th October 2007, 21:09
Cross means wrong way, usually two arrows pointing up side by side means a jump.

Either way as long as you make it clear to people when they sign on.

yzf250yamahama
20th December 2007, 18:22

F/F

so does this farmer like to be notified if people are going to turn up or you can just turn up at any reasonable hour and start riding, has anyone ridden this track recently?

keith55
2nd January 2008, 09:09

I answered this one before with a tongue in cheek comment of 'And do quads really count as dirt bike??'
It was a lot more accurate than I thought at the time. Have had a few quads on the circuit and while they can do it OK all they really want is speed. Flat, fast and boring. So, the circuit is not really quad friendly. Far too many interesting bits, although I think the dirt bikes go way to fast on it.
For more info on the circuit goto http://braefern.com/

Biohazard
3rd January 2008, 12:24
I want to start tasting mud and dust.

Could someone let me know where I can ride moto-x /Trail bikes in the HAmilton/Pirongia - Waikato either on my own or a group etc....I know in the UK we have greenlanes, is there something similar here in NZ that I can use when I feel the need ?

Cheers muchly

Bio

1-james-1
11th January 2008, 18:54
Hey guys, I'm going up north camping for a few weeks and was wondering if there are any tracks or places I could ride just north of Whangarei?? Cheers

cheese
21st January 2008, 12:32
www.thefarm.co.nz

Kiwibiker
16th February 2008, 13:24
Anyone know if th South Waikato club still run their rides in and around Whakamaru on the 3rd sunday of the month

keith55
7th March 2008, 19:15
I answered this one before with a tongue in cheek comment of 'And do quads really count as dirt bike??'
It was a lot more accurate than I thought at the time. Have had a few quads on the circuit and while they can do it OK all they really want is speed. Flat, fast and boring. So, the circuit is not really quad friendly. Far too many interesting bits, although I think the dirt bikes go way to fast on it.
For more info on the circuit goto http://braefern.com/

I expected howls of rage from that one. But..... Ho.Hum, being expecting far tooo much from off road riders.
Circuit is now closed.

Cary
17th March 2008, 18:10
Anyone been lately? wondering what track condition is like, thinking of going Wednesday.

BILLY P
19th March 2008, 11:56
thunder cross is mint at present. james has changed the start of the track and its wicked. have fun

Azzman
25th March 2008, 10:06
Hey guys, I'm going up north camping for a few weeks and was wondering if there are any tracks or places I could ride just north of Whangarei?? Cheers

Braefern trail bike circuit:
Hukerenui...25Ks north of Whangarei.....Just north of the pub is a road to the right. Tapuhi road. We are 12Ks up, actually on Nelsons Rd which is just a continuation. Rapid # 71 Nelsons Rd. 10 Ks of windy hill track. Clay based, slippery when wet. Some tricky stuff. Intermediate riders or better. Novice with escort. $20 rider.

Also give Bruce Henty a call, he has some land in the same area, which he opens up...dont know his number tho, try looking it up...

Danger
27th March 2008, 09:54
Braefern trail bike circuit:
Hukerenui...25Ks north of Whangarei.....Just north of the pub is a road to the right. Tapuhi road. We are 12Ks up, actually on Nelsons Rd which is just a continuation. Rapid # 71 Nelsons Rd. 10 Ks of windy hill track. Clay based, slippery when wet. Some tricky stuff. Intermediate riders or better. Novice with escort. $20 rider.

Also give Bruce Henty a call, he has some land in the same area, which he opens up...dont know his number tho, try looking it up...

You need to read the post 3 above yours. The Braefern trail bike circuit is now closed. I'm guessing poor numbers made it not worthwhile? Perhaps Keith could fill us in on why he has closed his circuit?

das440
5th April 2008, 15:42
i just moved to wellington from the states and was looking for motocross tracks and places to train for motocross that are within 3 hours of wellington. I know of the gold coast club track and the track located out of upperhut but was wondering if there were more locatioins of tracks around wellington or public places to ride where a turn track could be created. Any info would be greatly appreciated

cr125nz
18th April 2008, 13:56
is this still open

Dirka
23rd April 2008, 17:07
Yes CHCH!!!
Mcleans Island is mainly river bed. And any trails off it are cut off with holes, trees and/or wire fence (all deliberate)

I would like to know more areas less rivery . . .
Towards West Coast??
Towards Hanmer??

Cheers

Pedrostt500
11th May 2008, 10:41
Karapoti track Upper Hutt, is a good ride though I have only been as far as the Orange Hutt, on a Quad, It is advised that you go well prepared and with another rider, particurly if you dont know the tracks to well, they can be miss leading as i found out by accident one day, i was advised that taking a small tourch with you when riding the Karapoties, is a good idea, because if you have to abandon your bike and walk out, it gets bloody dark at night in there.
mountain bikers are a pest in there to as they belive they own the place, just like they belive they own every off road track.
The Orange Hutt is a club sponsored hutt ( not sure of wich club) but is open to all track users, so respect for this facility, and thanks to the guys and gals who maintain it and rebuild it when ARSEHOLES burn it down.
And yes I am keen for a ride when I get my old XL250 running properly.

Peril
12th May 2008, 12:45
Yes CHCH!!!
Mcleans Island is mainly river bed. And any trails off it are cut off with holes, trees and/or wire fence (all deliberate)

I would like to know more areas less rivery . . .
Towards West Coast??
Towards Hanmer??

Cheers

You have ridden through the main McLeans Island area have you?
As after that part (up over the 2nd stopbank from the 2nd carpark area) there are marked tracks leading to West Melton Groynes.Then from there you go through the gap -for bikes- in the gate and enter the area in behind the Chch Offroad Club track.That part of the forest has endless tracks and from there you can head to The Willows and onto the Intake.Past the Intake there isn't really any tracks,just roads leading towards the Waimak Gorge bridge,which makes for a good ride if you combine it with the North Waimak Bank,a good 120kms all up.
It was a shock to me as I hadn't had a bike out there for 10 years and was quite surprised as to what they'd done out there.I think it's a bit disappointing they closed off some of the good areas,but I do like the idea they have given us tracks marked out and pretty much free reign up to the gorge bridge.Fingers crossed this doesn't ever change.

rossrc
14th May 2008, 11:56
Any trials riders here know of some handy areas easily accessible from the city i.e. closer than Porirua or the Hutt. I'm looking for places that I can go to on the way home - I work in the city centre and live around Miramar.
Long Gully is obviously a possibility, but $20 to potter around for an hour is a bit steep.
Any suggestions appreciated.

LittleJohn
15th May 2008, 19:34
Anyone know a good cheap place to ride in a couple of bikes after rebuilds around the Auckland area?

edzucchini
17th May 2008, 13:22
Any trials riders here know of some handy areas easily accessible from the city i.e. closer than Porirua or the Hutt. I'm looking for places that I can go to on the way home - I work in the city centre and live around Miramar.
Long Gully is obviously a possibility, but $20 to potter around for an hour is a bit steep.
Any suggestions appreciated.

I'm in the same boat, living in Houghton Bay and looking for places in the vicinity.. Sounds like most tracks are quite a bit out of town. Is there anywhere to ride around Red Rocks legally? That's just around the corner for me and would be perfect!

C_A
17th May 2008, 23:37
just anywhere. if you don'tgo when there's millions of people, and don't go like an idiot where people can see you then you'll undoubtedly be fine.

I wanna hit the fire breaks/random tracks around th brooklyn hills/red rocks area

keith55
19th May 2008, 19:44
The circuit is open again.
Shorter and harder.
I closed it before because there were so few riders. I had been under the impression that Whangarei riders were staved of places to ride............ but wrong again. The weird thing though (I thought) was that of all the riders that done the circuit, only one ever came back a second time. Never had any complaints about the ride, perhaps a little tough was as bad as it got. This time the circuit is totally independent of the rest of the farm. No setting up the circuit and having no-one turn up.
This time I'll try, any time is OK with me. Feel like a ride?, we are open.
For more info goto..... http://www.braefern.co.nz/trailbike.html

noobi
25th May 2008, 18:55
went to thundercross valley bike park today
it was pretty good, nice and dry in most places
but it was f****n bumpy, lots of little whoops, which i found dangerous at speed. it was a bit shitty in the shade cuz its all clay
but it should be fine untill it starts raining
then youll just slide down the hills on your arse
normally not very many people there and theres a big paddock where you can open her up a bit

dammad1
25th May 2008, 19:22
went to thundercross valley bike park today
it was pretty good, nice and dry in most places
but it was f****n bumpy, lots of little whoops, which i found dangerous at speed. it was a bit shitty in the shade cuz its all clay
but it should be fine untill it starts raining
then youll just slide down the hills on your arse
normally not very many people there and theres a big paddock where you can open her up a bit

I was there yesterday and it was all good, I really like it there when its just a little wet the clay becomes really tacky.

charles23
26th May 2008, 12:18
thundercross does have it knockers, those who like the smooth regularily graded tracks, but for me thundercross is the right mix of open paddock, hilly, steep, farm track etc etc. Even better after its had a bit of rain and its lets not forget its only $20.

dammad1
26th May 2008, 15:56
thundercross does have it knockers, those who like the smooth regularily graded tracks, but for me thundercross is the right mix of open paddock, hilly, steep, farm track etc etc. Even better after its had a bit of rain and its lets not forget its only $20.

Exactly, good mix of everything and $20 is well worth it.

Gravel911
26th May 2008, 20:20
Yep i'd agree guys.

I rode there on Sat and really enjoyed it. Heaps of grip and nice and rough. Probably the roughest I have seen it for some time. The usual wet spots were really easy, could be a bit more interesting with the rain today.

noobi
28th May 2008, 20:36
i want to start getting into cros country and enduros and what not
is the dead tadpole a good idea for a first event
bare in mind im only 16 and have only been rideing for two years

dammad1
28th May 2008, 21:42
i want to start getting into cros country and enduros and what not
is the dead tadpole a good idea for a first event
bare in mind im only 16 and have only been rideing for two years

The GNCC's are really good events to break into the scene, good terrain and the novice class has quite a few people that are new to racing and it is a very social atmosphere with all the pros racing later in the day so you dont have to worry about them running you over.
check out poweradventures.co.nz

daytona 2
17th June 2008, 16:45
the kawasaki sandpit is pretty awsome but its getting realt turned up in some area's and getting stuck in sand is not toooo much fun......

Ktmboy
17th June 2008, 17:00
Appologies for the bumps but its damn hard trying to compromise. Danger wants freakin bumps the size of Everest there.:rolleyes:
We groom the tracks every Monday (indeed they were done in yesterdays shit house weather for 9 hours) so by the end of Sunday they can become a small chop. You should try riding the single lane tracks more as not only are they smoother but also more fun:clap:. IMHO.

daytona 2
17th June 2008, 17:29
yer i have to admit your doing a realy good job.....some of the trails are a bit trickly but it all just makes u a better rider...

forexd
23rd June 2008, 19:58
Does any one know of this place.....???

Its on Whangaparaoa peninsula, behind Mitre10/Repco/Hell's Pizza complex. Looks like a private land with lots of tracks on it. Drove by the other day and there is a rusty old sign "no bikes, no cars, private property".

Would be a nice place to hoon around do a couple of jumps and climb the hill. Once again, lots of tracks that could be seen from the main road.

Does anyone know who it belongs to or maybe if you can take dirt bikes there?

4stroke
23rd June 2008, 20:06
lol yeah i know it, wouldnt go up there tho, its owned by cabra holdings, one of the directors is the owner of hiway stabilizers. i wouldnt head up there to be honest.

FlangMasterJ
28th June 2008, 21:38
just anywhere. if you don'tgo when there's millions of people, and don't go like an idiot where people can see you then you'll undoubtedly be fine.

I wanna hit the fire breaks/random tracks around th brooklyn hills/red rocks area

Are the Wainui fire breaks open to motorcycles?

Oper8r
2nd July 2008, 22:35
Is there anywhere within one hours drive of North Shore, that is dirt (not Sandpit)? There must be somewhere near silverdale, warkworth Helensville etc? If anyone know, can you post it. Kimmys Track, Thundercross etc, are a bit of a hike for regular weekend riding.. cheers

M0T0MAN
6th July 2008, 09:03
Theres ardmore, but thats all I know.

Boosted
20th July 2008, 21:04
yes ardmore every wes and every 2nd sunday..

krad_nz
21st July 2008, 21:09
more details re: adrmore?

Boosted
21st July 2008, 22:01
www.amamx.co.nz

secondfield
5th August 2008, 17:01
Wellys guy's, you can go to the MX track in Brooklyn behind the windmill and ride for 20$ a day per bike. Access to the SW coast too. Heaps of open fire breaks. The place is called Long gulley, you can call the landowner on 0274427334 to arrange.
Being lucky to live in Upper Hutt wev'e got Karipoti on our doorstep. That place is awsome. 100km + of fire breaks / 4wd tracks, tight singletrack, bottomless ruts, rocks, nice veiws and some horrendous challenges (aka the devils staircase!). Last weekend the Mcgees road track over toward rallywoods and moonshine valley was open as well (access through the main Karipoti trail) so went for a nosey up that way too.. Much of the same, christ it was wet, got stuck in a mud bog, left by a forestry skid for about an hour. Dont ride alone in those parts!. Im always keen to get out for a thrash with a mob of guy's so give us a txt on 021 231 4264 if ya in the hood'.

cr125nz
8th August 2008, 14:40
there are a few good free places i have found the 1st is the old whangamomona rd a good 50km loop plenty of side tracks its pumice,and clay good for quads and 2 wheels pm if you want these details.
the 2nd track is the rangitaiki loop 90km a good pumice track with may other tracks of the main loop pm if you need details of this track.
these would be the 2 best tracks i have been on that r for general mx trail ride use and dont cost primo in both wet and dry conditions

dammad1
8th August 2008, 19:03
there are a few good free places i have found the 1st is the old whangamomona rd a good 50km loop plenty of side tracks its pumice,and clay good for quads and 2 wheels pm if you want these details.
the 2nd track is the rangitaiki loop 90km a good pumice track with may other tracks of the main loop pm if you need details of this track.
these would be the 2 best tracks i have been on that r for general mx trail ride use and dont cost primo in both wet and dry conditions

Where abouts are these?

cr125nz
8th August 2008, 20:06
the 1st track is on the old whangamomona road in tauramanui and the rangitaiki loop is near taupo and the best part one of the tracks starts next to a pub in the whopps so parking is sweet and can camp for free in the paddock next to the pub or in the bush
the other track is also by another pub all the locals are friendly as if you need driving instructions to get there pm me and will send them to you

Pedrostt500
8th August 2008, 22:09
Im enjoying reading through this thread, every so often, now what would be good is to compile the information in here, so it is regional, Ie Auckland, Taranaki, B.O.P etc, then info on the individual tracks, Ie free acess any time, Bookings required, Fee rquired, Donations, or Seasonal etc. also a rating on the tracks Ie Child friendly, easy learners, moderate, some difficulty, a real bastard, or some thing to that effect, also land owners contacts for private land, and or local riders who know the tracks well and can advise or are willing to ride with a group or a couple of out of town riders.
We may need to start a new thread for each region.
lets see if this flies.

lesh
10th August 2008, 21:39
Does anyone know if Harrisville is still open for practice Sat afternoons?

Boosted
11th August 2008, 13:30
If its not raining haha

kezzafish
27th August 2008, 18:30
reply to FlangMasterJ:

i don't think anyone is allowed on the firebreaks but it's not really policed, all they really care about is the bad billys who burn cars up there. i'm really keen to hit them and have a mate whose house (he rents) backs onto the bush in the 'nui but he won't let me bash a trail through the back of his section, theres an entry on that main road at the northern end of wainui (go left at bottom of hill and follow main road) i'm just a bit worried about leaving a van full of tie downs etc as a cop magnet

SouthlandRyda
28th August 2008, 17:55
Sounds like theres heaps of places to ride up north! Not as lucky for us southlanders. If anyone knows of open trails, tracks, or places close to the Gore area please post them. Places I know of are, shingle creek ( closed until oct ) pebily hills ( permit req ) Waikai track ( extreme clay ) Alex has a place called the white sands whick has something for everyone. I think there is an open mx track to. Cheerz!

flyingcr250
2nd September 2008, 22:32
is there any hush hush private motorx tracks with jumps around hamilton???
getting a bit sick of kimmys and thunder x, and the organised trail rides, need to branch out and ride some other tracks. anyone????? ive heard theres one out at pirongia is it any good??

kezzafish
3rd September 2008, 08:51
Who has done some dodgy riding in wellington? i wanna know about the rimutakas or the firebreaks, around the coast from eastbourne or belmont or anywhere. What's the riding like, where do you go in and how dodgy is it (police/DOC etc)???

flyingcr250
4th September 2008, 20:40
Found a little practice track just south of hamilton in Pirongia.
Head south out of pirongia on the main road, ya get about 5k out of town and there is a massive straight, about a k down on the right is a small shed and a gate, next to the gate on the fence is a motorcycle tyre, open the gate and go through. just past the first shed on the right there is another shed by a gate, stop and go in, there is an honesty box which you put $10 in and sign your life away, keep following the track up and over the hill, go through a double gate carry on down hill now to the next gate, behind this gate is where you park. DO NOT HOON AROUND AND OR SKID UP THIS PADDOCK!!! You will get us all kicked out, not to mention getting your own ass kicked by the farm owner. Go across the creek and you will see it, it"s a few tracks cut into the scrub with a massive hill. Good fun for a bit of a muck around, I think DK and a few other moto guys practice out there, there are no jumps, i think it's a saftey thing..
There are some pretty nice berms and nice flowing trails and some massive ruts those guys have carved in and some cool figure 8 ruts, it's good practice.
Takes a good 3-4min to get around. Pretty rough at the best of times.
Its clay.
Have fun, if you can find it....
And you didn't hear it from me... (seriously you just heard it from some guy at the pub..)

im going to see if i can find it this weekend. im getting a bit of cabin fever , i need to get out on the bike, kimmys isnt open till october IF the weather fines up.

flyingcr250
4th September 2008, 20:53
hi guy's.the maratoto tracks are awsome.did the big loop at xmas,they ask for $5 for bikes. also been to thunder valley bike park a few times now.good riding and well kept,the owner james fowlie is a awsome guy,we hired bikes off him for our xmas break up.great day.

i heard they have a mx track with jumps there now?? last time i went there was bout 2 years ago it was pissing down with rain, it was good fun real slippery though. also i heard they have two different loops now.

flyingcr250
4th September 2008, 20:58
cheers wayne,have you got more info on thompsons track weve always wanted to go there but not sure where it is{ sounds good]

if its the thompsons track near te aroha sometimes it can get real rough and very boggy and slippery, i call it a bike breaker, every time i go up there i break something. the bush sections which branch off the main track are cool, also you can see the ocean from the very top (which is were i siezed my bike)

flyingcr250
4th September 2008, 21:09
kimmies, goto kimmies.co.nz

go to huntly, go west, over the bridge, follow this road until you get to a road with a big overhead conveyor thing over it, go down there till you get there.

Woodhill, head out kumeu way, carry on until you see signs

Ardmore, directions above, follow bikes on trailers! :yes:

kimmys is awesome, cant wait for the clouds to clear, the sun to shine and the track to DRY OUT.

honda_power
7th September 2008, 19:00
is there any hush hush private motorx tracks with jumps around hamilton???
getting a bit sick of kimmys and thunder x, and the organised trail rides, need to branch out and ride some other tracks. anyone????? ive heard theres one out at pirongia is it any good??

The Pirongia track is SERIOUSLY bumpy... The whole track is just whoops, theres no jumps either. Its never maintained... But its somewhere to ride if you have nowhere else to go. Nice Berms though. There are a lot of ruts carved outside of the track, good for practice in rutted corners. Dont go there after/during rain, you have to cross a rather wide and fast river [its almost non-existant during the dry periods], but it is really dodgy in the wet, it has large slippery rocks on the bottom, and can be impossable to cross if there has been a week or two of rain.

Last week there was one built in Whatawhata, just outside of Hamilton on the way towards Raglan. I went for a a Squirt there today, its gonna be one really awesome track when it compacts down and a few berms are built - which is happening next weekend. The guy that owns it is a real good guy, hes gonna be charging $10. Ill post some pics and more details next weekend when i go there again.

honda_power
8th September 2008, 18:10
Hi "cr125nz", got your PM but apparantly my 'post count' isnt high enough to reply... id txt u.. but have no money haha.

Anyway in response to your message:

Yeah for sure mate, ill keep you posted, its not 100% done yet, it needs berms, and a couple jumps need to be built up due to the soft dirt the bulldozer made, we carved a few good lines into it and this rain will compact it down nicely.

The track is in freshly buldozed gorse... not to worry about the gorse though, pushed right out of the way. It has a couple smaller jumps [these are still being built], a pretty decent drop if you go fast enough, a 5th gear open straight [on my crf250] a decent uphill with a few lil jumps in it, an off camber part... and a lot more. Its not the longest track, but i was never bored riding there sat and sun.

As for quads... im not sure what those mx quads are like but thus track does have one off camber bit that could be dodgy, but it should be right. You can allways drive around the bottom. The whole course is easyly wide enough for a quad.

Im not sure of the address, Its the road past karakariki rd on the way to raglan. there is a old mx tyre on the fence from the main road, and one beside the track itself. there is a building site there. you cant really see the track very well from the road, just park by the old diggers n shit and go talk to the owner - seems like a real nice guy.

Ill be heading out there this weekend with a few mates. Welcome to come have a blat with us - allways after more riding buddys.

Chur

cr125nz
8th September 2008, 20:19
sweet sounds like a good plan bro

mattwood
12th September 2008, 22:20
Last week there was one built in Whatawhata, just outside of Hamilton on the way towards Raglan. I went for a a Squirt there today, its gonna be one really awesome track when it compacts down and a few berms are built - which is happening next weekend. The guy that owns it is a real good guy, hes gonna be charging $10. Ill post some pics and more details next weekend when i go there again.

SWEET! a track like 5 mins for the front door!:2guns: Thanks heaps for that man! Will hav to check it out!

cr125nz
13th September 2008, 02:16
might see you out there matt if you go out on the weekend or catch up at thunder if you are going on sunday

honda_power
13th September 2008, 11:52
SWEET! a track like 5 mins for the front door!:2guns: Thanks heaps for that man! Will hav to check it out!

yeah i live like 5-10 min away as well! hopefully they build the berms this weekend. probly head there sunday

honda_power
13th September 2008, 12:46
oh, and dont bring TOO many people... theres not much parking. the track is by a building site... you cant really see the track very well, but there is a mx tyre on the main rd junction, and the track. its the second to last house down that road.

flyingcr250
14th September 2008, 15:52

1) The Sandpit, Woodhill forest, SHW 16/ take Rimmers rd head to coast, bike park well sign posted, Open Wed to Sunday, late night Thursday during summer, provides access to 1000 acres and 200kms of sand based tracks, Sand Moto X track. Kids tracks etc. Free break down service with 4x4 650cc Quad, Toilet and wash down facilities. For rates/info www.thesandpit.co.nz.

does anyone know when kimmys is open, im dieing to get back out there, cant wait for summer

telliman
14th September 2008, 16:35
october iv heard,
yeah cant wait!!!

mattwood
14th September 2008, 17:24
might see you out there matt if you go out on the weekend or catch up at thunder if you are going on sunday

It will be sweet having a local track!

was keen to go for a ride this weekend, hav to revise for the exams.. stupid exams hhah! Should be good for next weekend tho! I'll be abit rusty, havnt ridden in ages.. bike hauls ass now tho, big dif on the new piston and rings!

noobi
15th September 2008, 13:50
It will be sweet having a local track!

was keen to go for a ride this weekend, hav to revise for the exams.. stupid exams hhah! Should be good for next weekend tho! I'll be abit rusty, havnt ridden in ages.. bike hauls ass now tho, big dif on the new piston and rings!

there just pretend exams mate, real ones aint till december, i went for a ride and managed to hurt myself all in time for the dummy run exams:Playnice:
i wonder when i should do my bikes piston and rings:lol::banana:

mattwood
15th September 2008, 14:42
there just pretend exams mate, real ones aint till december

try telln my dad that :angry2:

my bike had almost 200 hours on the piston and rings!! but alot of those hours were puttn around gettn used to it, being my first 2stroke. It had a few places where it must of started catchn the old piston looks a tad munted, but the bores still all good!

honda_power
15th September 2008, 23:59
try telln my dad that :angry2:

my bike had almost 200 hours on the piston and rings!! but alot of those hours were puttn around gettn used to it, being my first 2stroke. It had a few places where it must of started catchn the old piston looks a tad munted, but the bores still all good!

200 hours, thats fuckn rough, i thought 120 on my old crf was bad

Hemex
16th September 2008, 09:13
Thundercross Valley was good on Sunday..its still$20... lots of wet mud and pretty slippery...

Hemex
16th September 2008, 09:14
and that was me on the B track... after quite a few tosses and crashes on my first ride out.. lol.. the others had a swell day on the A and B track

mattwood
17th September 2008, 22:57
200 hours, thats fuckn rough, i thought 120 on my old crf was bad

hah, yeah it still wasnt running to bad tho. Huge difference now!

raglanash
25th September 2008, 14:54
oh, and dont bring TOO many people... theres not much parking. the track is by a building site... you cant really see the track very well, but there is a mx tyre on the main rd junction, and the track. its the second to last house down that road.

Hmmmm i have seen that tyre and wondered about that, is it just past the karikariki straight on the right?? How far down?? Do you just roll up and someone comes out to see you? Whats the deal bro? Sounds good i live in Rags, handy..

honda_power
26th September 2008, 20:08
Yeap thats the one, if your talking about coming from Hamilton way. Heddon Rd. Yeah, we saw the tyre and just turned up, the guy came out and had a chat, we went back the next day with the bikes. The roads not very long, maybe a K down the road? you cant really see the track from the road. Its at the building site. Park there and you should see a lil bit of it through the gully and a few rugged little jump things on the far fenceline.

Some prick stole the tyre at the main rd though. It was fucked as well... Dunno who would have wanted that

oldskool
6th October 2008, 13:51
Hiya all,
My very first post here!
I'm going down to Whangamata for the weekend (10 October) and wondering whether to take the old bushbashers with us. (XR200R, and DS80 for the kids).
Anyone know of a handy fun track down thataway we can tool around on?

mattwood
22nd November 2008, 22:30
Kimmys is pretty sweet now, went out there yesterday for a ride. Get out there quick before the whole place ruts out again though..

leehoon
23rd November 2008, 13:10
has anyone been to the Jam track recently? Is it still open??

tonyg26
4th January 2009, 10:02
great place to ride for people in waikato is kimmys or a track out t.a ways carry on down the road past the waikera prisons on, about another 10kms cant miss it only $10, check out the pic of my bike on my profile, just taken after i went to this track CHOICE AS!

dirtfreedom
15th February 2009, 20:08
Hello can anyone help a newbie. I currently have a crf230 and find it too heavy to lift as I am only 60kgs and not that tall. What bikes can I look at thank you all.

Hemex
15th February 2009, 20:25
Hello can anyone help a newbie. I currently have a crf230 and find it too heavy to lift as I am only 60kgs and not that tall. What bikes can I look at thank you all.

Well firstly welcome to KB...secondly.. maybe start a new thread so it attracts more desired attention :)

krad_nz
15th February 2009, 23:28
hello can anyone help a newbie. I currently have a crf230 and find it too heavy to lift as i am only 60kgs and not that tall. What bikes can i look at thank you all.

drz-125l
ttr-125l

kx85
rm85
kx100
rm100

crf150x
crf150r

KDX200 if you're a bit taller than 5'2 or so.

KTMs that I don't know about also.

crfchick
6th March 2009, 14:10
How hardout is Karapoti? I'm keen to check it out but have heard some dodgy stories about it...!

owner
13th March 2009, 12:33
Are there any ChCh MX tracks?

something like harrisvile or ardmore??

I'm living in Kaipoi now and I dont know anywhere to ride please help

Ride it till the red
13th March 2009, 13:17
How hardout is Karapoti? I'm keen to check it out but have heard some dodgy stories about it...!

It all depends on where you go, there's something for everyone up there.... Take a friend and go for a play...

Oh and when your new up there a good general rule of thumb might be to try and avoid going down anything that you don't think you could get back up.... as you just might have to!

More than happy to show you around a bit sometime if you want to flick me a pm

Dent
15th March 2009, 08:50
Well, for free you can go to the north or south sides of the waimak.
There are some motox style circuits on the north side, just down the road from Kaiapoi. The entrance is by the garage at the old waimak bridge, where the jetboaters go. Follow the road in until you find them.

Past those tracks are 4wd and single tracks going a long way up the river.

Are there any ChCh MX tracks?

something like harrisvile or ardmore??

I'm living in Kaipoi now and I dont know anywhere to ride please help

tup
20th March 2009, 19:17
does anyone know of ANYWHERE to ride up here except for Uretiti beach???? please??? :)

Badger8
20th March 2009, 19:46
does anyone know of ANYWHERE to ride up here except for Uretiti beach???? please??? :)

Lovely views round there tho :shifty:

tup
20th March 2009, 20:10
and saggy old boobs.. haha. :eek5:

Badger8
21st March 2009, 06:17
and saggy old boobs.. haha. :eek5:

Heheh, oh bugger :weep:

I'm from up that way, but never actually been down Uretiti to be honest.

There's bound to be some farmers with tracks in a paddock somewhere? anyone able to help out?
I'm keen to get up there and do some riding in my time off too :yes:

bogan
27th April 2009, 20:57
Anyone know any places in the manawatu for serious off road riding, decent mx tracks or something like that? all we know off so far is himitangi forestry track (havent actually been to yet) which is apparently a bit avg.

kezzafish
28th April 2009, 10:13
Anyone know any places in the manawatu for serious off road riding, decent mx tracks or something like that? all we know off so far is himitangi forestry track (havent actually been to yet) which is apparently a bit avg.

Himatangi/Tangimoana is cool mate, give it a blast. There's also Motuiti MX track in foxton which i think is an honesty box donation (but there has to be a club member present or something) or you can join the club and pay for a years worth of key access to the track. I think its called "gold coast MX club" or something. Best try to contact them and get the info. Go to Silverbullet.co.nz and look under "clubs"

There's also heaps of trail rides up your way if ya don't mind popping over to masterton etc. Have a hoon on some of these. they're cheap as and good fun. Have a look on silverbullet for these ride too. There's one coming up this Sunday in Otaki

I was hopeing you might be able to tell us about some secret access into the hills over your way? lol

secondfield
28th April 2009, 14:43
There is also this place....

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/padesign/Taikorea.html

Been there before and its fun. Very near Himatangi...

bogan
28th April 2009, 16:59
thanks guys, that taikorea park looks pretty good

bogan
28th April 2009, 17:27
I was hopeing you might be able to tell us about some secret access into the hills over your way? lol

i wish i knew some ways into them hills, but think its all private or protected or whatever, maybe just find someone with a farm that backs onto them and set up a ramp over the fence;)

evoetr
30th April 2009, 10:20
Himatangi/Tangimoana is cool mate, give it a blast.

Just wondering what road or how you get to Himatangi/Tangimoana is it near the beach .... ? I went up checked out Himatangi beach and can only ride a bike there if registered.

Although on the way back stopped to have a look at Peka Peka Beach says cars and bikes are permitted all the way up to Te Horo and down to Waikane and nothing about having to be registered . :woohoo:

Cheers. CB

vazza
18th May 2009, 15:32
Anyone know any areas in westauckland to ride?!

trailrider
19th May 2009, 19:07
theres a backbackers up arnd whangarei. its called the farm. theres 1000 acres of farmland and it offers a challenge in sum places.

http://www.thefarm.co.nz/frameset_home.htm

i think you have to stay to ride on the land though. if you dont have a bike but just want to stay up there for a break away from town it is a good place to stay.

Captain APog
28th May 2009, 09:58
Hi All,

I'm heading up to Mangawhai for the long weekend, does anyone know about riding up round there? I've seen bikes in the Tomorata forest, is there track in there? Are you allowed in there?

I've been to the farm, great place, really really friendly people. You don't have to stay, can just turn up and ride, but its a fair hike up there from Auckland, a good hour or so from Whangarei, and given the prices to stay/camp, its worth making a weekend of it.

Finnally, has anyone ridden the tracks behind the train tracks in Glen Eden/Henderson along West Coast road? Looks like some good stuff up the Henderson end, accessed from the end of Rangeview Road by the subdivision that never happened? Is it any good?

Cheers

ozrobo
28th May 2009, 15:13
sweet i knew bout most of them some i didnt cheers theres also dome valley mx track and the puke track

ozrobo
28th May 2009, 15:14
Hi All,

I'm heading up to Mangawhai for the long weekend, does anyone know about riding up round there? I've seen bikes in the Tomorata forest, is there track in there? Are you allowed in there?

I've been to the farm, great place, really really friendly people. You don't have to stay, can just turn up and ride, but its a fair hike up there from Auckland, a good hour or so from Whangarei, and given the prices to stay/camp, its worth making a weekend of it.

Finnally, has anyone ridden the tracks behind the train tracks in Glen Eden/Henderson along West Coast road? Looks like some good stuff up the Henderson end, accessed from the end of Rangeview Road by the subdivision that never happened? Is it any good?

Cheers

talk to westie on kb he knows it real well and the fellah to c bout 15 bucks and he let u ride without dramas

Cr1MiNaL
30th May 2009, 10:35
We're about to head down to Thunder Valley off Tuakau SH 22. Kinda makes me want to ride my sports bike down 22 then jump on the RM to tear up some fields before Thundercross ! I will get my knee down on the RM !!! :-)

Cr1MiNaL
30th May 2009, 10:37
Hi All,

Cheers

westie - is the man you want... tell him TMF recommended you and he won't anally violate you. :Punk:

noobi
30th May 2009, 13:02
We're about to head down to Thunder Valley off Tuakau SH 22. Kinda makes me want to ride my sports bike down 22 then jump on the RM to tear up some fields before Thundercross ! I will get my knee down on the RM !!! :-)

its a pretty cool road out there alright. but thunder will be a wet slippery hole atm. good luck:Punk:

Cr1MiNaL
30th May 2009, 21:36
its a pretty cool road out there alright. but thunder will be a wet slippery hole atm. good luck:Punk:

Oh man was the clay wet and slippery, I learned how to control a front and rear wheel drift today... now to master it on the right hand side!

das440
1st June 2009, 16:21
Just wondering what road or how you get to Himatangi/Tangimoana is it near the beach .... ? I went up checked out Himatangi beach and can only ride a bike there if registered.

Although on the way back stopped to have a look at Peka Peka Beach says cars and bikes are permitted all the way up to Te Horo and down to Waikane and nothing about having to be registered . :woohoo:

Cheers. CB

If anyone could post where you could park and ride it would greatly appreciated as i would like to check this place out also.

2fitty
6th June 2009, 17:58
hey, am keen to head down to thundercross tomorrow does any one know what the deal is or if it is even open at the mo?

Cr1MiNaL
7th June 2009, 02:34
hey, am keen to head down to thundercross tomorrow does any one know what the deal is or if it is even open at the mo?

you do not want to be riding that clay in the rain is all I know !:crazy:

paulcurelyfz450
8th June 2009, 22:59
another place to ride is if u wana take a road trip is go up north between kerikeri an kaitaia there a beach called ahipara and u go there an go end turn left around the reef ul have access to sand dunes there big 300 ft sand dune there an just sand dunes for miles an if u can find the bowl thats fun to .
if u staying night u might wanna stay at,www.taipabay.co.nz
search ahipara on you tube .another place in hohoura forest.

cheers

tommorth
6th August 2009, 21:47
if you go up there you can ride down beach around reef over the dunes down beach a bit more then through the forest then quick squirt up the road to the Herekino pub for a coldy then return is blood awsome loop must do it again soon

any one keen ?

watch out for the locals they ride like crazy mofos ;)

SK1TZ
15th August 2009, 12:29
Just bumping this up...

You can ride at the MX park at Slipway, Brooklyn

I rang and spoke to the Landowner today, looking to head up to Brooklyn this arvo, its $20 a bike and he has a MX track and also over 50km of trails. At least its legal, if a bit extra cost...meh if its good, then its just like Laser strike or paintball...it all costs

sounds good, should be fun!

sam

chakra
24th August 2009, 17:28
Hi all, in the process of moving to back to New Zealand after ten years in Australia and pondering where I'm going to ride my bike, I am moving to the Bay Of Plenty, Opotiki to be precise and thought I'd ask if there was anyone in the area that may know of some place to ride, are we allowed to ride beaches there? thanks!

theblacksmith
25th August 2009, 08:30
Hi all, in the process of moving to back to New Zealand after ten years in Australia and pondering where I'm going to ride my bike, I am moving to the Bay Of Plenty, Opotiki to be precise and thought I'd ask if there was anyone in the area that may know of some place to ride, are we allowed to ride beaches there? thanks!

If you cant find any you might like to ride here-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE9qbYju-lY

little.whittle
5th September 2009, 20:51
the wires track is always a bit of fun. but DO NOT go in the wet haha:yes:

honda_power
6th September 2009, 21:07
the wires track is always a bit of fun. but DO NOT go in the wet haha:yes:

Thats when its best....

moto_kiwi
8th September 2009, 00:10
In Palmerston North/ Manawatu is a riding park called Taikorea
-It has sick forest trails and a mean mx track, and its about 30km out of Palmerston North (towards Foxton)
-I also foundd these sites that have track directories (although they are quite small)
http://www.drd.co.nz/WhereToRide.aspx
and
http://www.where2ride.co.nz

heavyduty
15th September 2009, 08:51
we got a few mx tracks in the south naki. hermans on mountin rd,bookers wich was baileys out back of hawera,and a few other pvts than i can hook ppl up on the day. $15 is what they charge down here for a day.

LVN_CR250
14th October 2009, 19:59
If any one wants to head out to motawhiti mx park foxton in the weekends pm me your number. i have the key. Usually go out with a few riders

zxr250aye
30th October 2009, 14:44
im keen on rides in the naki, neva been on a track but gona hit barret as soon as i can get up there, how often do you get on the tracks in the south? where are places i can go for a casual blast when ever the time of the week? i heard that there are tracks north of white cliffs that you can get to when the tide is low, ride round all day an stay the night and come back the next. any truth to this?

bennettnz
4th November 2009, 11:20
I've been to the Farm several times too.... Haven't been up for ages but it was mint the last time i was there.

budget biker
6th November 2009, 20:45
Okau Valley Trail Rides. inland from ahititi taranaki.bush tracks with some open tops
.alistair is putting in a mx track as well
limited numbers per day
most of the tracks arent loops as yet so u need to come back the way you ride in
land is either side of kiwi road
contact ahititi.school@xtra.co.nz