PDA

View Full Version : Chrome cleaning tips?

Blossom
21st July 2008, 13:12
I have a VL250 and the girl needs a little chrome cleaning every once in a while (weekly. lol) anyway, I went looking for a rubber/buffer attachment for my cordless drill. No luck. Looked at the warehouse, super cheap, repco and so far found nothing but an attachment for an angle grinder and a huge buffer machine which is way to big to be usefull on my bike. The women at supercheap said they dont even sell the drill attachments anymore.
So what to do.
Can they be bought from anywhere still?
I want an attachment rather than a whole machine as I have a whole shed of flaming tools already and just want something I can navigate around my lovely chrome exhaust.
Any and all tips gratefully received. :niceone:

The Lone Rider
21st July 2008, 15:48
I have a VL250 and the girl needs a little chrome cleaning every once in a while (weekly. lol) anyway, I went looking for a rubber/buffer attachment for my cordless drill. No luck. Looked at the warehouse, super cheap, repco and so far found nothing but an attachment for an angle grinder and a huge buffer machine which is way to big to be usefull on my bike. The women at supercheap said they dont even sell the drill attachments anymore.
So what to do.
Can they be bought from anywhere still?
I want an attachment rather than a whole machine as I have a whole shed of flaming tools already and just want something I can navigate around my lovely chrome exhaust.
Any and all tips gratefully received. :niceone:

Mitre 10 has them

And from my experience from using it - it does a shit job.

Best way is Autosol (Repco) and a green microfibre cloth (warehouse). Tiny dab of autosol, and rub in.

Bam!

Just look at my profile for the results

vifferman
21st July 2008, 15:50
Oooooooerrrr! :first:
Mmmmm.... shiny sparkly thingies....

The Lone Rider
21st July 2008, 15:52
Oooooooerrrr! :first:
Mmmmm.... shiny sparkly thingies....

I owe it to Ghost Bullet, he put me onto Autosol. I was previously using Mothers Chrome Polish.

Mothers goes in nice, but Autosol has nicer finish. But have to rub it in hard.. trail and error with different cloth types and one day had no clean bits of cloth and used my microfibre one that I use just for a quick brush up (not a polish) and bam.. that cloth was perfect. Autosol rubbed in way easier.

Patrick
21st July 2008, 16:11
Apparently the bike shops use this little trick...

Slightly diluted down "Dynamo" works well ... spray it on, wash and wipe it off... (but it will also remove all the lube off ya chain too so remember to re-do that as well...) and it comes up looking like new.

Hailwood
21st July 2008, 16:56
That stuff rocks to clean a bike alright...bit in a bucket of water, let it sit on bike for a minute and then hose off..most of road crap gone..much easier to polish chrome etc then........

P38
21st July 2008, 17:14
Yep

Autosol, a Soft Cloth, Plenty of Patience and some Elbow Grease.

Patrick
21st July 2008, 20:57
That stuff rocks to clean a bike alright...bit in a bucket of water, let it sit on bike for a minute and then hose off..most of road crap gone..much easier to polish chrome etc then........

Yep

Autosol, a Soft Cloth, Plenty of Patience and some Elbow Grease.

Wot Hailwood sed - no elbow grease needed.....

AllanB
21st July 2008, 21:00
AUTOSOL

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Blossom
21st July 2008, 21:11

I did...lovely bike
Well I will try both autosol and dynamo and see which one I prefer. Just one question...what the hell is dynamo???:blink:

scumdog
21st July 2008, 21:48
I did...lovely bike
Well I will try both autosol and dynamo and see which one I prefer. Just one question...what the hell is dynamo???:blink:

You're a female and had to ask THAT??

Autosol - polish
Dynamo - cleaner

f.y.i.....

Blossom
21st July 2008, 21:51
You're a female and had to ask THAT??

Autosol - polish
Dynamo - cleaner

f.y.i.....

Just cause I have boobs does not mean I know of every cleaning product ever manufactured... and if the man says otherwise...he is lying.:sweatdrop

j/k

old git
21st July 2008, 22:21
Ride IT, stop bloody dreaming about keeping it clean, it will get old anyway. and who cares if it dont shine like a new one!

Bob
21st July 2008, 23:50
One word of advice re: Autosol. Yes, use if on "genuine" chrome (like on exhaust pipes etc), but do not use it on "plastic" chrome (like indicator mounts - and quite possibly cyclinder head covers).

Reason is that Autosol is abrasive. Fine on chrome, but it will scuff up plastic. For the plastic bits, use a proper bike shampoo.

Whatever you do, NEVER USE WASHING UP LIQUID! Washing up liquids contain SALT.... the worst possible thing to get on your bike. It will look all shiny and lovely, but underneath it will be corroding away.

gunrunner
22nd July 2008, 05:22
Mitre 10 has them

And from my experience from using it - it does a shit job.

Best way is Autosol (Repco) and a green microfibre cloth (warehouse). Tiny dab of autosol, and rub in.

Bam!

Sorry to burst everyones bubble but i have used most of the polishes here and 1st place goes to "California Customs Purple Polish" will bring any chrome back to new. Google it and you get it from a guy in oz . I got 2 375ml bottles for $56NZD i didnt think that was to bad considering:headbang:

Patrick
22nd July 2008, 13:40
Just cause I have boobs does not mean I know of every cleaning product ever manufactured... and if the man says otherwise...he is lying.:sweatdrop

j/k

As has been said many a time on here - no good making these sorts of claims without photos...

FLYMO
22nd July 2008, 20:13
chrome is only acceptable on farm machinery

scumdog
22nd July 2008, 20:45

Argh, yer just jealous!!

98tls
22nd July 2008, 20:55
chrome is only acceptable on farm machinery Methinks different.

Hailwood
23rd July 2008, 09:59
Lol says the Hyosung rider....do'nt they have clome instead...cheaper to make and almost looks like the real thing?????:Pokey::whistle:

Mikkel
23rd July 2008, 10:22
Transene makes a product (http://www.transene.com/cr.html) that should be able to get rid of any unwanted chrome.

:chase:

Cat101
23rd July 2008, 11:19
Autosol rocks! Ive been using it for years but what I found out was that its also an abrasive. I cleaned my pipes too much with it and a yellow tinge began to appear over time. The local re-chrome guy told me that it was the nickle underplating coming through as I was wearing through the chrome! Chrome is extremely tough but also extremely thin. Might try binklebonks stuff if I see it.

blossomsowner
23rd July 2008, 12:25
Ride IT, stop bloody dreaming about keeping it clean, it will get old anyway. and who cares if it dont shine like a new one!

hello...I care. Makes for better resale value when I upgrade.

As has been said many a time on here - no good making these sorts of claims without photos...

which bit do you want a pic of the cleaning products or the man???

lol Hyosung plastic is awefully attractive. Your right......why have chrome when plastic is available.:Pokey:

FJRider
23rd July 2008, 12:53
Methinks different.

Suzuki... farm machinery... similar... :innocent:

Patrick
23rd July 2008, 15:15
Just cause I have boobs...

Aha... an alter ego? Bugger.....!!

Swoop
23rd July 2008, 16:02
Very nice.

On a nice day, perhaps take the bike somewhere and re-photo'ing with a pleasant background? 'twill look veeeery sexy!

Blossom
23rd July 2008, 16:22
hello...I care. Makes for better resale value when I upgrade.

lol Hyosung plastic is awefully attractive. Your right......why have chrome when plastic is available.:Pokey:

Ok so I am having a totally blond week here... The above post was made by me not by the man... He had been playing about with my laptop..grrr:Oi:
words were spoken:argue: and I didn't realize he had logged into the site. So sorry Patrick no alter ego...
Hope I am making sense.
Actually I suspect I dont always make sense but hey.... gotta try huh.

thanks for the DO NOT USE DISHWASHING LIQUID tip... lol. I would have used it eventually so its good that someone mentioned it.

Blossom
23rd July 2008, 16:23
Aha... an alter ego? Bugger.....!!

Sorry my bad

The Lone Rider
23rd July 2008, 16:45
Very nice.

On a nice day, perhaps take the bike somewhere and re-photo'ing with a pleasant background? 'twill look veeeery sexy!

See here - http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=76997

last post :P

Should hopefully have LOTS of sexy photos of LOTS of bikes.. although I'm a bit disappointed in ticket sales from people belonging to "CHCH KBers"

gunrunner
24th July 2008, 18:12
Autosol rocks! Ive been using it for years but what I found out was that its also an abrasive. I cleaned my pipes too much with it and a yellow tinge began to appear over time. The local re-chrome guy told me that it was the nickle underplating coming through as I was wearing through the chrome! Chrome is extremely tough but also extremely thin. Might try binklebonks stuff if I see it.

www.calcustomcom.au I imported my bike myself and did have some traces of rust on pipes , what a difference :first:Will post pics shortly

Papa Bear
24th July 2008, 18:27

Thats harsh.. we all like looking at shinny things :drool: well most of us anyway

gunrunner
27th July 2008, 21:25
Like i promised i would post before and after pics after using this stuff , i got this stuff in from oz works well on chrome . They also have a range of products .
www.calcustom.com.au:2thumbsup

gunrunner
27th July 2008, 21:29
www.calcustomcom.au I imported my bike myself and did have some traces of rust on pipes , what a difference :first:Will post pics shortly

Have posted pics on a new thread , check it out