PDA

View Full Version : New Thunderbird 1600

Big Dave
21st July 2008, 16:03
The new 1600 twin beastie is called the Thunderbird.

Press Release - Courtesy Kiwi Rider Magazine.

Triumph unveils new Thunderbird cruiser

Triumph has unveiled its all-new Thunderbird at the company's Global Dealer Conference in Birmingham, England. The eagerly-anticipated 1600cc cruiser is set to go on sale next year and is an important addition to the company's cruiser range.

The Thunderbird features an all-new parallel twin-cylinder engine with six-speed gearbox and belt drive. Designed to take on the best in the cruiser category, combining sleek and modern custom styling with strong performance and great dynamics, the Thunderbird delivers an authentic cruiser experience in a uniquely Triumph package.

The Thunderbird will be offered with an extensive range of official accessories for riders who wish to tailor the bike to their individual needs. Whether they want a stripped-down and chromed-up hot rod with muscular performance or a fully-dressed classic style custom tourer for two-up touring, Triumph's accessory range lets the rider customise the Thunderbird to their individual tastes. An ABS option will also be available.

Further information on the 2010 Triumph Thunderbird, including technical specifications, will be released in the New Year.

98tls
21st July 2008, 16:25
"stripped down and chromed up hotrod" sounds good and with the Trumpet badge on would be pretty classy methinks.

MD
21st July 2008, 16:39
Wow!! It's a good looker! I really like the look now that the finished product has appeared. Belt drive too.

Sorry to link to an oppositions site BD but for those interested here's some of the first pictures. Including the new 675 Daytona in red and the Street R

http://www.mcnews.com.au/2009_Bikes/Triumph/Intro.htm

I can see my ideal garage now in 2010, a 1600 Thunderbird and new 675 Daytona

Big Dave
21st July 2008, 16:59
Sorright - I have the same pics, saves me uploading them.

I've been busy pawing through the new KIWI RIDER wot I just got anyway.
An edition that will be of interest to lots of KBers.

Big Dave
21st July 2008, 17:11
I like the new one, there was pain with the old one.

avgas
21st July 2008, 17:21
1600 parallel twin.....i find it hard to say that without thinking of a slack jawed yokel.......
why not a nice stripped down 750? Where are triumph going with this?
The last tbird wasn't that bad. was it?

Big Dave
21st July 2008, 17:23
1600 parallel twin.....i find it hard to say that without thinking of a slack jawed yokel.......
why not a nice stripped down 750? Where are triumph going with this?
The last tbird wasn't that bad. was it?

Still got my '95. They just stopped selling.
The ride down memory lane was more appealing on a Bonneville for most.

1600 twin will have some sort of balancer shafts hey. The Buell 1125R has three.

These big bikes are designed for a: The American Market and b: Big bastards like me. Lovin' it already.

Where are they going with it? - Directly at Harley.
Prediction. Court challenge over use of 'Thunderbird'. Ford owns the Trademark. Didn't matter when they (new T) were a curio in the states. Much higher profile now.

sels1
21st July 2008, 17:41
These big bikes are designed for a: The American Market and b: Big bastards like me. Lovin' it already.

Where are they going with it? - Directly at Harley.

It fills the gap nicely between the America/Speedmaster, (while nice bikes, could do with a few more horsies) and the Rocket, which is at the very large (and expensive) end of the range.

Wonder what it is going to be priced at.....?

RentaTriumph
21st July 2008, 21:13
My first impressions is disapointment, I don't like the exhaust, the pussy seat or the fast back rear end. But I will with hold judgement till I see the traditional two tone colour scheme and what extras you can buy with the bike. Better still what 3rd party aftermarket parts you can get for the bike once it is released.

Big Dave
21st July 2008, 21:25
Take the pussy pad off it and it will look mucho better. Makes an amazing difference to the America.

AllanB
21st July 2008, 21:47
Its got a Harley tank!
80's Yamaha wheels (no shit)

And that is not stripped down - I suspect it will weigh 260 plus.

To me a parallel twin should be light and fairly small - nimble.

The engine will be interesting - it will pack a serious wallop that's for sure.

Its a shame they did not pop out something unique like a 1600-1800cc triple with that styling.

A side note re Triumph here. I have never seen the point at all in the oversize ugly looking Rocket 3, until I stood next to the Touring model last week - that works. Even if it is way to large for my size. Hopefully the new 1600 will do the same when viewed in the flesh.

malfunconz
8th March 2009, 19:45
dosnt matter what you like or dislike , with trump it can all be changed (any bike for that matter) i wanna 1600 for me speedy .

Ixion
8th March 2009, 20:10
So, with a 1600cc twin engine, it needs a six speed gearbox? Not much torque, eh.

pete376403
8th March 2009, 20:26
Full test of the 'bird in the April Cycle World (got it in the post yesterday)
The six speed could be a bit of overkill, with over 100ft-lbs torque.
Wright is 309Kg but that is not finalised
US list price $13k so should be under $30k when it gets here

Big Dave
8th March 2009, 20:28
Six speeds = What does its opposition have?

trustme
9th March 2009, 08:54
Boring, where is the Tiger Cub, 675 motor in off road capable chassis to take on the BMW 850 GS . Look how many GS's of all types get sold, are the other manufacturers slow learners.

Ixion
9th March 2009, 09:15
Six speeds = What does its opposition have?

There's another 1600cc parallel twin?

I want a bike that can return to the three speed box. First for starting off, second for real slow corners and trickling in traffic , and top for everything else. Pity they didn't make it a side valve.

Big Dave
9th March 2009, 09:16
Look how many GS's of all types get sold, are the other manufacturers slow learners.

Hello - What planet are you typing from? :-P

In 2007 (2008 not published on LTNZ site yet)

BMW had 3% of the NZ bike Market.

Kawasaki 6%

Triumph 7%

Yamaha 8.5%

Harley-Davidson 13%

Honda 14%

Suzuki 23%

Big Dave
9th March 2009, 09:17

I want a bike that can return to the three speed box. First for starting off, second for real slow corners and trickling in traffic , and top for everything else..

I agree, but I'm not trying to go head to head with a market leader.

Forest
9th March 2009, 10:29
I'm really impressed with where Triumph is going.

They've done a great job at bringing the company back to life.

tri boy
9th March 2009, 10:47
I wish their bikes would go on a diet,(the Bonnies n cruisers), and upgrade the suspension.

Scouse
9th March 2009, 10:49

I want a bike that can return to the three speed box. First for starting off, second for real slow corners and trickling in traffic , and top for everything else. Pity they didn't make it a side valve.Thats cos your stuck in a fookin time warp. change is good if companies dont change their designs they go broke cos there is only one old codger like you left that will buy the old style slow oil leakers. meanwhile all the other companys are selling to thousands of people.