PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get decent 18" tyres?

richiewendt
22nd July 2008, 16:47
I called up Boyd suzuki and chatted to the guy I usually deal with and says he can find anything in the 18 - 2.75 mark. Except for michilin postie square pattern crap. Got a pirelli city demon 18 - 3.50 which fits snugly on the back. Want something on par with that... Dont have the mega budget, but still dont want a $50 chinese plastic, and without changing to a 17" rim...

Where do I turn? Preferably in the waikato/auckland area...

Buckets4Me
22nd July 2008, 16:54
dunlop use to do tt900
but i think you need to get a brigstone batleax bt35 or something makesure it is race compund tire same as the clasicc guys use

richiewendt
22nd July 2008, 16:57
yeah, but where from? If the bike dealer cant find any, where do I turn to get them? Race compund sounds expensive?

Also, my rear shocks are shitty and want to raise the arse end up as im 192cm, and the GP is a little low for me... ones on there are 300mm eye to eye, so to speak, anyone got any around the 350mm mark to offload for money?

boostin
22nd July 2008, 17:25
Try cycletreads. I think they stock bridgestones and looking at the bridgestone site they have some 18 sport tyres.

http://mc.bridgestone.co.jp/en/products/battlax/bt39ss.html

SHELRACING
23rd July 2008, 10:26
The TT900's are one of the best Bucket tyres without going to race tyres. But they are being phased out by Dunlop and are 300 bucks a piece new. Have a look on Tardme you might get lucky, make sure they are not too old tho.

It really is worth considering 17 inch wheels then you can use slicks which are for better than the tt900's and you can usually pick em up cheap off the other race boys (125's and 600's)

Cheers
Steve

Fooman
23rd July 2008, 13:17
The TT900's are one of the best Bucket tyres without going to race tyres. But they are being phased out by Dunlop and are 300 bucks a piece new. Have a look on Tardme you might get lucky, make sure they are not too old tho.

Dunlop also do (did?) TT100's in the GP compound - same tyre, but a different pattern (old fashioned - the post classic guys use em).

Cheers,
FM

richiewendt
23rd July 2008, 13:49
Nah, the thing is, its my first attempt at the whole bucket thing, and I've hardly started. Needed new tyres and figured that was the place to start. Got hold of a Metzeler equivilent to an 18" - 2.75" for $100 that will do the trick. Fits in my budget...

They any good? Obviously wont compare to racing slicks, but concidering I've seen buckets that race at Mt Wellington on chinese plastics, a Metzeler can't be too bad?

Buckets4Me
23rd July 2008, 13:54
road tires at Mt Wellington are ok in the dry but if it gets damp nothing other than slicks or wets 4 me thanks
broken to many bones because of road tires there no matter how good they are

richiewendt
24th July 2008, 12:57
Once I get started, I'll learn the hard way while I get poor. I start working after I finish my course next year, then I can buy myself slicks etc... But just to get experience, they'll do.

SupaCross Cycles
24th July 2008, 17:09
100/90V18 SPORT DEMON FR CAll me for a cheap deal

Thanks
Michael sxcycles (hamilton):clap:

SupaCross Cycles
24th July 2008, 17:11
We are the authorised Pirelli Stockist for hamilton

$135.71 Fitted for free

thanks

Michael
SXCYCLES

Skunk
24th July 2008, 19:53
I put Vee Rubber (http://www.veerubber.co.th/Tire_catalog/tire_catalog.asp?cid=1#) on mine. Stick well enough for Mrs Kendog and me. I think they were $65 each. Lasted three years now.

One (http://www.veerubber.co.th/Tire_catalog/product_detail.asp?pdid=16)
Two (http://www.veerubber.co.th/Tire_catalog/product_detail.asp?pdid=49)
Three (http://www.veerubber.co.th/Tire_catalog/product_detail.asp?pdid=244)
Four (http://www.veerubber.co.th/Tire_catalog/product_detail.asp?pdid=253) these are what I got.
Five (http://www.veerubber.co.th/Tire_catalog/product_detail.asp?pdid=70)

richiewendt
24th July 2008, 23:01
We are the authorised Pirelli Stockist for hamilton

$135.71 Fitted for free

thanks

Michael
SXCYCLES

Dammit! I would have been keen if I knew! Thats what it would cost me after I got the tyre and postage and fitting... Plus the pirelli on the back is a minter, sticks bloody well compared to the shit that was on there!! SO I would have known what I was getting!

richiewendt
24th July 2008, 23:08
Just took her for a spin (shes still road legal at this time) after stiffening up the shocks in the ass end! Shit can the thing corner well! :eek5:

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside, my first bucket is coming to life!! I can actually feel the bike improving! lewis (seasoned bucketeer) reckons that with an engine rebuild and porting the thing should fly! Heaps of grunt and its still standard with a shitty rattly piston!!

Now I just have to pay for my big ideas... Shit

koba
5th August 2008, 12:58
The TT900's are one of the best Bucket tyres without going to race tyres. But they are being phased out by Dunlop and are 300 bucks a piece new.

I keep hearing that.
I just got a new front for my RG150 for 190.
Maybe thats just certain sizes?!?

koba
5th August 2008, 13:00

Thanks
Michael sxcycles (hamilton):clap:

I Have these on my NC21 which has a 16in front and 18inch rear.
Perfectly happy with them, good tyres!

Deano
5th August 2008, 13:01
I used to run a Bridgestone BT090 (rear) on my CBR400 race bike and it was pretty sticky for a road tyre.

I'm not sure how narrow you can go though.

Skunk
5th August 2008, 13:50
Thanks
Michael sxcycles (hamilton)Got a 17" Sport Demon on the rear of my bucket. Seems OK so far.

gav
7th August 2008, 22:10
18" slick on Trade Me!
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Wheels-tyres-brakes/auction-169553160.htm

boostin
8th August 2008, 06:48
18" slick on Trade Me!
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Wheels-tyres-brakes/auction-169553160.htm
Interesting find.

What are the odds of the rubber lasting 15years and still being ok?

Buddha#81
8th August 2008, 07:15
Interesting find.

What are the odds of the rubber lasting 15years and still being ok?

Not great........"sidewalls cracking"

gav
8th August 2008, 22:35
Run a tube, you'll be fine! Probably half the slicks down here have cracking sidewalls if you look close enough.

Buddha#81
8th August 2008, 22:47
Run a tube, you'll be fine! Probably half the slicks down here have cracking sidewalls if you look close enough.

yeah but wont be anywhere near 15 years old!

gav
8th August 2008, 22:50
Nah, be fine (probably) :confused:
PS B man, you want a front brake hose?

RMS eng
21st August 2008, 22:08
i have some old 18" slicks for sale, one is still new in its bag,made in the late 80s -90s but still better than cheap road tyres on a hot day.chris 09 817 9500.

Slingshot
21st August 2008, 22:10
i have some old 18" slicks for sale, one is still new in its bag,made in the late 80s -90s but still better than cheap road tyres on a hot day.chris 09 817 9500.

How much???

F5 Dave
22nd August 2008, 11:20
That phone number looks familiar. . .

Great Scott! Pikelet has a computer, stop the world!;)

Buckets4Me
22nd August 2008, 11:58
someones kids is doin it for him

RMS eng
28th August 2008, 10:32
is that clutch cargo,from wind tunnel wellington.i also have a web site too, has a nice photo of a 100cc RACE BIKE ,www.rms-engnz.netfirms.com .it is alittle old,but will be getting a new one soon.18" slick new $35.00

F5 Dave
28th August 2008, 10:38
Yeah when is that Homo Elliot going to repatronise & come & race that thing? I rode it at Minefield & quite liked it. Should bring it down to Taupo spectacular.

speedpro
28th August 2008, 18:08
18" slick on Trade Me!

They were the bees knees when they were still making them. I pitched into a corner on the tarmac at Ohakea going fast and my seat bracket broke resulting in me falling off the inside of the bike. Luckily I had a fresh set of these on. I pretty well did a U-turn before I managed to climb back to where I should have been but the tyres just hung in there. Truly amazing grip, more than I was willing to consciously use.

I seem to remember they sometimes came new with cracked sidewalls. I wouldn't worry about that.

richiewendt
28th August 2008, 23:44
She's sorted for now. Problem is I've run out of money, I have a very very limited budget. Minor porting next probably, before the new piston...

speedpro
29th August 2008, 08:25
She's sorted for now. Problem is I've run out of money, I have a very very limited budget. Minor porting next probably, before the new piston...

New piston first is how I would go. Nothing like getting it going good before you start fiddling.

Edit: I have a small collection of brand new Suzuki rings from a few "bucket" models and the odd piston. Measure the piston and I'll compare it to what I have. My prices will be better than the shop, a lot better. I also have a spreadsheet of the dimensions of comparable pistons, some of which are better than others for various reasons so I could check that as well.

Slingshot
29th August 2008, 19:20
New piston first is how I would go. Nothing like getting it going good before you start fiddling.

Edit: I have a small collection of brand new Suzuki rings from a few "bucket" models and the odd piston. Measure the piston and I'll compare it to what I have. My prices will be better than the shop, a lot better. I also have a spreadsheet of the dimensions of comparable pistons, some of which are better than others for various reasons so I could check that as well.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the best piston choice for a GP100. I've read the very informative post you made about tuning the GP a while back and am planning on starting modifications at this end of the series this year.

gav
29th August 2008, 21:22
Now that we've sorted the 18" tyre dilemma any suggestions for a 19" front to suit a GPz550 PC racer? Think its got a Bloodstone BT54 (err 39) on it at the mo.

Buddha#81
29th August 2008, 21:30
Now that we've sorted the 18" tyre dilemma any suggestions for a 19" front to suit a GPz550 PC racer? Think its got a Bloodstone BT54 on it at the mo.

You won't need to.....it got a near new BT39 on the front and a Dunlop501 on the rear! THERE IS NOTHING TO DO BUT RIDE IT!

gav
29th August 2008, 21:33
kewl ..... (ohhh, and bling it out ....<_< )

speedpro
29th August 2008, 23:39
I'd be interested in your thoughts on the best piston choice for a GP100. I've read the very informative post you made about tuning the GP a while back and am planning on starting modifications at this end of the series this year.

I'm not familiar with the GP internals. If it's anything like a TS a good stock Suzuki piston is the RG400 rear piston. Slightly thinner rings and a bit lighter and better made.

Slingshot
30th August 2008, 09:49
I'm not familiar with the GP internals.

A case of mistaken idenenty...was TZ350 that posted this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1585100&postcount=23).

Buckets4Me
30th August 2008, 11:04
having riden 4 of tz350's gp125 I can tell you that all the standard stuff from suzuki is good enough for this engine dont bother getting rg400 or any other stuff unless it is cheaper easier to get
suzuki agents seem to be able to get you anything you need
you'r best bet if you dont know to much is get a manual for it and build it up as a 125 not 100 keep it standard to begin (they are plenty fast enough on a tight track)
my one is 4 years old done 4 2 hour. finished every time never failed to finish a race unless I have broken something on me.Lent it to many people and found that a good rider can get it down to 30 sec lap time around Mt wellington (I cant get near that 38 sec) It hase done taupo twice last year Keith B wiped the field clear with it at Taupo in the last race (beat the only fxr down there so did 3 other gp125's in the last race)
dont underestimate a standard gp125

RMS eng
3rd September 2008, 12:40
won't be coming home,lives i the USA.