PDA

View Full Version : Honda Hornet 600 (1998)

Bob
12th January 2005, 06:46
Not my review personally, but a top girl called Sue Tym, who owns one of the most heavily modified 600 Hornets out there.

Take a look at her overall review. (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/Hornet.htm) Sue's bike is the one in the 2nd and 3rd photos.

If you want me to find the full list of modifications, let me know and I'll try to list them all again - but believe me, when I first interviewed her for Used Bike Guide, the list of mods was almost longer than the article!

By the way, if there are any Hornet owners reading this, there is a link within the article to the owners club, just in case you hadn't found it yet.

Hope you enjoy her review,

Bob

James Deuce
12th January 2005, 07:00
I'd love a list of the mods. I've ridden two Hornet 600s in my search for a new bike, and I was very disappointed with them. It's biggest drawback is the extremely basic suspension, which can be overwhelmed rapidly, even by a slow old fart like me. I rode it, loved the engine, but could see serious expenditure to get it up to a standard where it would be fun ride, not just horribly scary. It would be useful to see what other people have done to theirs, to see if it may in fact be worth buying one as the start of a "project".

moko
12th January 2005, 07:31
How about a CBR600? Sounds to me as if it`d suit you better than the Hornet,might take a bit of hunting down a decent one if you`re stuck to a budget but that applies to any bike.

James Deuce
12th January 2005, 07:38
How about a CBR600? Sounds to me as if it`d suit you better than the Hornet,might take a bit of hunting down a decent one if you`re stuck to a budget but that applies to any bike.

The ones I've found have been high mileage and "used as intended", if you get my drift! :)

moko
12th January 2005, 07:44
Not my review personally, but a top girl called Sue Tym, who owns one of the most heavily modified 600 Hornets out there.

Like she says Bob Hornets are amongst the most modded bikes around,of course anyone with any sense bought a Fazer that does everything well as standard ;)
As I pointed out on the Hornet owners website (not the first Fazer owner to sneak in there and have a pop)the Hornet is definately a girl`s bike.Actually they were set up,I posted that the most useful Hornet mods would be better brakes,adjustable suspension,bigger tank and a centre-stand,unanimous agreement so I then posted "That`s why I bought a Fazer".No retaliation oddly enough from any covert Hornet owner on the Fazer site claiming that what the Fazer really needs is a soggy front end,crap brakes and 20-odd m.p.g. as it bounced along in a Fazer`s wake. ;)

Bob
13th January 2005, 03:18
I'd love a list of the mods. I've ridden two Hornet 600s in my search for a new bike, and I was very disappointed with them. It's biggest drawback is the extremely basic suspension, which can be overwhelmed rapidly, even by a slow old fart like me. I rode it, loved the engine, but could see serious expenditure to get it up to a standard where it would be fun ride, not just horribly scary. It would be useful to see what other people have done to theirs, to see if it may in fact be worth buying one as the start of a "project".

As you asked...

Galfer wavy discs
Goodridge stainless braided brake lines
Ohlins fork internals and rear shock
CRC bronze racing levers
Stainless brake cylinder cover
Chrome clock rings
Twin polyprismatic lights
Blue leather seat cover
Chrome radiator cap
Polished stainless radiator grille
Stainless braided water hoses
Stainless engine Allen Bolts
DBR adjustable rearset footrests and levers
Billet steel engine protectors
Polished stainless chainguard
Hand-finished black rear light and nameplate
Mini-indicators front and rear
NWS tail tidy
Metmachex deep braced swingarm
Rainbow anodysed exhaust can
Stage 2 Dynojet
14/45 gearing
Modified aribox
K&N filter
Scottoiler
Meta Alarm

And a host of carbon fibre parts include petrol tank, fairing, bellypan, side panels, hugger, front mudguard, disc brake covers, top yoke cover, handlebars, bar end weights and assorted covers and caps.

James Deuce
13th January 2005, 05:00
:gob:

Crikey.

Thanks Bob.

Bob
13th January 2005, 08:41
:gob:

Crikey.

Thanks Bob.

As you've just realised, this is no ordinary "Lets make the suspension stiffer and beef up the midrange" project!

Sue estimates she has spend £3,000 (around NS$ 8,000) on the bike so far - and you have to bear in mind some of the stuff has been given to her for nothing as it is a prototype etc.

Honest truth? When I saw the bike, I thought it looked awful. Amusingly, her husband thinks exactly the same (but me being the reporter and having to be diplomatic, I kept my mouth firmly closed...)

moko
15th January 2005, 22:36
Sue estimates she has spend £3,000 (around NS$ 8,000) on the bike so far - and you have to bear in mind some of the stuff has been given to her for nothing as it is a prototype etc.

Honest truth? When I saw the bike, I thought it looked awful. Amusingly, her husband thinks exactly the same (but me being the reporter and having to be diplomatic, I kept my mouth firmly closed...)

Agree with you Bob,there`s such a thing as going too far.There used to be a similar Bandit near me,thing was a mobile accessories catalogue and to me just looked tacky,each to their own though.

Biff
18th January 2005, 15:09
My first "proper" bike was a CB600FS. Basically a Hornet with a small front fairing. A fantastic bike. Great handling, plenty of grunt but nothing too scary.

A brilliant first bike and grin machine.
Highly recommended.