PDA

View Full Version : TVR planning a bike range.

Biff
12th January 2005, 09:36
In this week's edition of of the UK's MCN mag it has been announced that the UK's exotic sports car manufaturer TVR is to release a range of high performance sports bikes.

Woohoooo!!!!!

I've no more news yet - cos I haven't read it.

James Deuce
12th January 2005, 09:41
What the....?

Hitcher
12th January 2005, 09:43
That should get Jeremy Clarkson going...

Paul in NZ
12th January 2005, 10:12
Shit hot! Just what the world needs is another failed british 'bespoke' superbike project.

Sigh!

(mind you their TVR cars are pretty tasty - but you would not want to rely on one for transport)

Biff
12th January 2005, 10:29
Does anybody out there know what TVR is an abbreviation of ?

I've heard a couple of suggestions, namely it's an abbreviation of TreVoR .... the name of the guy that is alledged to have founded the company, or that it may be an abbreviation of Triumph Vauxhall Rover, who it is alleged funded the foundation of the company.

Any offers.......?

...and while I'm at it, I've also heard that JEEP is an abbreviation of Just Enough Essential Parts, following the foundation of the company during the second world war as a supplier of basic all terrain type vehicles.

Or is someone taking me for a sucker? (me thinks so)

Hitcher
12th January 2005, 10:34

I've heard a couple of suggestions, namely it's an abbreviation of TreVoR .... the name of the guy that is alledged to have founded the company, or that it may be an abbreviation of Triumph Vauxhall Rover, who it is alleged funded the foundation of the company.

Any offers.......?

...and while I'm at it, I've also heard that JEEP is an abbreviation of Just Enough Essential Parts, following the foundation of the company during the second world war as a supplier of basic all terrain type vehicles.

Or is someone taking me for a sucker? (me thinks so)
You're right on TVR being "short" for Trevor. Obviously derived by the same mind that came up with the term MTB for MounTain Bike...

Jeep's origins are from WWII where its name was derived from GP, where G = Government and P = 80-inch wheelbase reconnaissance car.

Blakamin
12th January 2005, 10:35
You're right on TVR being "short" for Trevor. Obviously derived by the same mind that came up with the term MTB for MounTain Bike...

Jeep's origins are from WWII where it's name was derived from GP, where G = Government and P = 80-inch wheelbase reconnaissance car.
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/early/history.html

Biff
12th January 2005, 10:38

Jeep's origins are from WWII where its name was derived from GP, where G = Government and P = 80-inch wheelbase reconnaissance car.

ahhhh - thanks. All I now need to know is how the man that drives the snow plough gets to work in the morning and then my work on this planet is complete, and no - he doesn't take it home with him.

Blakamin
12th January 2005, 10:43
ahhhh - thanks. All I now need to know is how the man that drives the snow plough gets to work in the morning and then my work on this planet is complete, and no - he doesn't take it home with him.
If he's like the guy who grades the "gunbarrel highway", he'd live in a caravan onsite :shutup: ;)

Darryboy
12th January 2005, 11:04
"TVR planning a bike range."

HAAARD OUT!!! :yeah:

Before I got into bikes (and still now) I always lusted after TVRs
What I wouldn't do for a T440R... Or a Cerbera... Or a Griffith... Or a Sagaris... etc etc 'drool'

Blackbird
12th January 2005, 11:34
And FORD stands for "Fix Or Repair Daily".

A Honda Hornet owner in Auckland that I know owns a Griffith (envy....)

Geoff

Hitcher
12th January 2005, 11:38
IBM stands for "It's being mended"

QANTAS stands for "Queers and nymphos travel as staff"

Lufthansa stands for "Let us fuck the hostesses and not say anything"

Biff
12th January 2005, 11:42
LOTUS - Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious

dangerous
12th January 2005, 11:53
I've heard a couple of suggestions, namely it's an abbreviation of TreVoR .... the name of the guy that is alledged to have founded the company
Correct, I have a awesome vid from the 'best of british' show that was on Prime a few years back wicked cars ya know they started out with Ford and Triumph engines.
And FWIW MCN are knowen for there not so up to date and imaginary stories.

thehollowmen
12th January 2005, 11:54

QANTAS stands for "Queers and nymphos travel as staff"

Lufthansa stands for "Let us fuck the hostesses and not say anything"

Oh yes and DELTA is "Doesn't ever leave the airport"

Ghost Lemur
12th January 2005, 12:01
I'll take a wait and see approach on this one.

Lou Girardin
12th January 2005, 12:07
If they're like the cars, they'll be mind-bogglingly quick, ear-splittingly loud. Kind of strange looking and spend half their lives in the workshop.
Like a Ducati,sort of.

Darryboy
12th January 2005, 12:12
Yeah, did a bit of poking around and it appears MCN aren't the most reliable.

Apparently the rumour goes that Nikolai Smolenski (the guy that recently bought TVR) is looking at purchasing CCM (or some Motorcycle company)...

(I only briefly had a squiz with google so I may be completely wrong)

Biff
12th January 2005, 12:17
And FWIW MCN are knowen for there not so up to date and imaginary stories.

Nooooooooooo - it can't be true - you lie, you lie. I am a broken man :thud:

James Deuce
12th January 2005, 12:30
"TVR planning a bike range."

HAAARD OUT!!! :yeah:

Before I got into bikes (and still now) I always lusted after TVRs
What I wouldn't do for a T440R... Or a Cerbera... Or a Griffith... Or a Sagaris... etc etc 'drool'

Speed 6 - Fwoarrr

James Deuce
12th January 2005, 12:32
Yeah, did a bit of poking around and it appears MCN aren't the most reliable.

Apparently the rumour goes that Nikolai Smolenski (the guy that recently bought TVR) is looking at purchasing CCM (or some Motorcycle company)...

(I only briefly had a squiz with google so I may be completely wrong)That would make sense because CCM just closed their doors.

James Deuce
12th January 2005, 12:33
If they're like the cars, they'll be mind-bogglingly quick, ear-splittingly loud. Kind of strange looking and spend half their lives in the workshop.
Like a Ducati

Thanks to the 749/999/Multistrada you didn't need that last bit.

Biff
12th January 2005, 12:37
Thanks to the 749/999/Multistrada you didn't need that last bit.

so true - it should have read auto electrician’s :Pokey:

dangerous
12th January 2005, 18:00
Speed 6 - Fwoarrr
Ahhh but jim, while the speed 6 is one horny wee car the speed 12 is the mutts nutts, the last I heard it was still only a track car still to be put on the road, but that was a couple of years ago.

Blakamin
12th January 2005, 19:08
so true - it should have read auto electrician’s :Pokey:
OI...nah fuggit :Oi: ... my Duc, which I just de-faired and scrubbed and hosed... engine, fuse-box an all... STILL started first crank.... and idles and runs... I wish people would stop listening to shit rumours and try stuff themselves!!!! it hasn't been to the shop or an electicians since I've owned it... never missed a beat... if you aint got the balls or the brains to try it yerself, dont knock it!!!
thank you very much for your time :Pokey:

[edit]
sorry bout the rant... had to talk to my mum (in Oz) whilst washing the bike and all she did was bitch about the rest of the family (as usual) so when I read this I was pissed off.... (its either the family or the friggin BeeGees every time she rings :mad: )

avgas
12th January 2005, 19:18
It will be greatly missed

Skunk
12th January 2005, 19:45
I miss time. I was he would come back. :(

James Deuce
12th January 2005, 20:34
Ahhh but jim, while the speed 6 is one horny wee car the speed 12 is the mutts nutts, the last I heard it was still only a track car still to be put on the road, but that was a couple of years ago.

All the Top Gear lads and ladesses think the Speed 6 is a better drive than the 12, and the top speed of both is academic. I also reckon the 6 sounds nicer than the 12 through the stereo. :D

James Deuce
12th January 2005, 20:41
OI...nah fuggit :Oi: ... my Duc, which I just de-faired and scrubbed and hosed... engine, fuse-box an all... STILL started first crank.... and idles and runs... I wish people would stop listening to shit rumours and try stuff themselves!!!! it hasn't been to the shop or an electicians since I've owned it... never missed a beat... if you aint got the balls or the brains to try it yerself, dont knock it!!!

[edit]
sorry bout the rant... had to talk to my mum (in Oz) whilst washing the bike and all she did was bitch about the rest of the family (as usual) so when I read this I was pissed off.... (its either the family or the friggin BeeGees every time she rings :mad: )

You DORK! You know I prefer your shape SS to the later one, that the 916 and MV F4 are the sexiest motorcycle designs ever, and that the Multistrada is my all time UGLYBIKE thus far! It wasn't about Ducati in general it was about how 749s, 999s, and Multistradas look. I'm sure they go fine. But I can't ride very well when helmet is full of vomit (can't ride well at the BEST of times), which I'm sure it would be if anyone ever strapped me to a Multisrada and pointed my down the driveway.

Why react? Hmmm? Hmmm?

What happened? Did the sheep shag back?

BTW: When you talk to your Mum and she starts talking about family, go into "Husband Aha, Uh hum", mode; make her think you are listening, but think dreamy thoughts of Ducatis wafting over perfectly cambered and radiused corners (But don't think of F__KING Multitradas or I'll pop out of your daydream and break all your other teeth).

**R1**
12th January 2005, 20:50
You DORK! You know I prefer your shape SS to the later one, that the 916 and MV F4 are the sexiest motorcycle designs ever, and that the Multistrada is my all time UGLYBIKE thus far! It wasn't about Ducati in general it was about how 749s, 999s, and Multistradas look. I'm sure they go fine. But I can't ride very well when helmet is full of vomit (can't ride well at the BEST of times), which I'm sure it would be if anyone ever strapped me to a Multisrada and pointed my down the driveway.

Why react? Hmmm? Hmmm?

What happened? Did the sheep shag back?

BTW: When you talk to your Mum and she starts talking about family, go into "Husband Aha, Uh hum", mode; make her think you are listening, but think dreamy thoughts of Ducatis wafting over perfectly cambered and radiused corners (But don't think of F__KING Multitradas or I'll pop out of your daydream and break all your other teeth).

Man the new ones are by far the hottest :banana: the Ducs finaly look up2 date again...whats it been 11 years since the 916? they are finaly in2 the new millenium...hats off to Ducati for steping out there despite all the bad press, i guess im new school tho :yes:

James Deuce
12th January 2005, 21:20
Man the new ones are by far the hottest :banana: the Ducs finaly look up2 date again...whats it been 11 years since the 916? they are finaly in2 the new millenium...hats off to Ducati for steping out there despite all the bad press, i guess im new school tho :yes:

There's no new school or old school in design. There's gestalt design a la the 916 range, there's era related fashion (i.e. Post-Modern or Georgian), and then there's the piles of crap the Ducati board let that Sth African produce to replace a timeless piece of perfection.

**R1**
12th January 2005, 21:52
There's no new school or old school in design. There's gestalt design a la the 916 range, there's era related fashion (i.e. Post-Modern or Georgian), and then there's the piles of crap the Ducati board let that Sth African produce to replace a timeless piece of perfection.
How can u say no new school or old school in design? gs1000 was the superbike of its day, now look at the 999, the 04 R1, the new MV, the list goes on, they all have their own look, just look at retro bikes like the gs1200 they all have a new melenia look, i think everything is either old or new school, new bikes now are pure art :yes: :yes: old school was just functional, but it all has its time and place. :2thumbsup

James Deuce
12th January 2005, 21:56
How can u say no new school or old school in design? gs1000 was the superbike of its day, now look at the 999, the 04 R1, the new MV, the list goes on, they all have their own look, just look at retro bikes like the gs1200 they all have a new melenia look, i think everything is either old or new school, new bikes now are pure art :yes: :yes: old school was just functional, but it all has its time and place. :2thumbsup

There is nothing new.

StoneChucker
12th January 2005, 22:50
now look at the 999, the 04 R1, the new MV, the list goes on, they all have their own look, just look at retro bikes like the gs1200 they all have a new melenia look, i think everything is either old or new school, new bikes now are pure art

THANK YOU bud, at least someone here admits (what everyone alreadys knows) that some bikes are like works of art :2thumbsup

Hmmmmm, I didn't see the 04/05 Gixxer in that list anywhere... :lol:

I'm soo happpy :doobey: hehehehe :stupid:

*EDIT*
On this historic milestone, I would like to thank all those that have inspired me to get to where I am today. Now, I can finally go to bed :D
I think to fall asleep tonight, I will count whores instead of sheep

bluninja
13th January 2005, 01:05

OR...

Internal Bowel Movements
I'm Bloody Marvelous
I Break Marriages
I've Been Movitivated
I've Been Moved (to another part of the country...not emotionally)

Usually spouted by managers to whom all seemed true at some time in their career....not that I'm a bitter and twisted ex employee...oh no siree :bleh:

Devil
13th January 2005, 09:07
mmm TVR. Still think back to the ride I had in a Griffith 500. Ohhhh the noise!
5 Litre Rover V8.

Biff
13th January 2005, 09:19
I wish people would stop listening to shit rumours and try stuff themselves!!!! )

Yep, fairy snuff - guilty as charged, I base my comments on no first hand facts. :innocent:

moko
13th January 2005, 19:07
[edit]

I think they`re all like that,only mine dosnt know who the Bee Gees are and unfortunately dosn`t live in Australia.

moko
13th January 2005, 19:18
Like someone said MCN are notorious for theit "exclusives",I think the most famous one was years back when Kawasaki were about to announce their new British factory,caused a lot of excitement,not least with Kawasaki who wondered what they were talking about.Thing is they`ve got pages to fill every week so in good old Brit press fashion if there isnt any they make it up,usual thing is a "scoop" drawing of next years rumoured bikes,loads of fanfare but the bottom line is some guys taken an educated guess and knocked-up a sketch.In the circles I move in people buy MCN for the adverts,the paper version is something like 80% ads and a good source of good deals,all the discount mail-order boys bung their latest special offers in there.

Blakamin
13th January 2005, 19:45
I think they`re all like that,only mine dosnt know who the Bee Gees are and unfortunately dosn`t live in Australia.
wish mine didn't know the beegees... its a new thing... the family should never have showed her a DVD.. she's 68 with MS and in a wheelchair so i'm nice until she mentions music!!! FFS, just coz I used to be a music manager for some company she thinks I know robyn gibbs friggin birthday... and what he wants for it!!! who gives a flying *^$^!~!!!!!!!
(she rang again......) :shutup:

Blakamin
13th January 2005, 19:49
I think she's on to that Jim.... she asks me stupid questions after 5 mins of "yeah mum"
and you're so right about multistradas.... WTF were they thinking??? might as well buy a frigging BMW!!!!! the whole idea is so not Ducati...

moko
13th January 2005, 20:01
I dont know if you guys have it in NZ but we`ve got a thing called teletext,kind of forerunner of the net on your tv.This thing lets you have sub-titles if you pres 888 so when I phone the old dear I have the t.v. on,sound off and the sub-titles up so I can "multi-task",i.e. do the "yeah" bit every 10 minutes while watching the news at the same time.Couple of times she`s phoned "because your Dad`s watching the bloody football again",well so am I dear,only with the sound turned off.I used to read but she clicked on to the pages being turned,usual old lady"deaf when it suits".Love her to bits really.......but distance is nice.

moko
13th January 2005, 20:06
wishFFS, just coz I used to be a music manager for some company she thinks I know robyn gibbs friggin birthday... and what he wants for it!!! who gives a flying *^$^!~!!!!!!!:

Their moment of glory here,all 3 were on the Clive Anderson show,one of them said "the trouble is people think we`re wankers"(yes,a Bee Gee said that).Anderson came back with,"Well you are wankers" and they got the hump and walked off,that clip gets shown all the time here.