PDA

View Full Version : zxr250 rear suspension setup

georgedubyabush
31st August 2003, 20:13
How do I crank it up a bit and what would be the standard setting?

Its on the lowest setting on the spring at the moment, and was like that when I got it. Must have been ridden by a pokemon in japan. Kwakachu maybe

Do I need a special tool? a big screwdriver didnt want to do it. Is there a way to measure how much it needs for my 85-90kg arse, or is that more a personal preference thing?

any setup tips would be a help.:stupid:

Nouseforaname
31st August 2003, 22:27
The tool you need might be found in the tool bag under the riders seat, that is if you have the original. It kinda looks like a pirate hook ( sorry thats the only way i can describe it ), kinda like a blunt hook. Thats the tool you should be looking for:) As for set-up.... i wouldnt have a clue, i just turn every single thing possible and hopefully it works, if you do find a helpful website etc, please let me know:)

georgedubyabush
31st August 2003, 22:44
unfortunately my underseat has a nice and empty cavity

Might have to attack random bits of metal with the grinder. (to make a tool that is, i dont mean attack the bike)

Hook aye? got a pic?

Coldkiwi
1st September 2003, 12:31
gotta motomail catalogue handy? there's pictures of them in there. beware though, its a dangerous document if you have a credit card and potential to be an impulse shopper!!

if you're just trying to sort the overall setup, a good way is to have someone stand off to the side of the bike as you drop your weight on to it (like you were going to sit down on it). when its set up right for your weight, the front and rear should respond at about the same rate. ie, if the front's too hard, the bike will seem to nose up when you sit down or viceversa if its too soft. Alternatively, find a darkish part of the garage, turn the headlights on and then do it. You'll see the headlight mark rise if its too soft at the rear as the bike will do its nosing up trick again when you sit down.

georgedubyabush
1st September 2003, 15:19
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
gotta motomail catalogue handy? there's pictures of them in there. beware though, its a dangerous document if you have a credit card and potential to be an impulse shopper!!

if you're just trying to sort the overall setup, a good way is to have someone stand off to the side of the bike as you drop your weight on to it (like you were going to sit down on it). when its set up right for your weight, the front and rear should respond at about the same rate. ie, if the front's too hard, the bike will seem to nose up when you sit down or viceversa if its too soft. Alternatively, find a darkish part of the garage, turn the headlights on and then do it. You'll see the headlight mark rise if its too soft at the rear as the bike will do its nosing up trick again when you sit down.

Now thats the sort of thing im after:niceone:

Yeah, ASB bank loves me and my credit card.

Motomail: I put my address through for a catalogue when I first got my bike last January, nothing showed. Did it again about April, nothing showed. To my shock and surprise I got the cold kiwi one, which seemed a little thinner than 192 pages. I now realise that the big one comes in september as I read on another post. Theres a whole bunch of crap Ive gotta buy.

Firefight
1st September 2003, 17:11
Hey GDB(for short) can't find Hicksville on map, but suspect you may hail from Helensville, if so I go out toWoodhill at least once a week, am happy to lend you "The Tool", to use or copy.:eek:

firefight:rockon:

Nouseforaname
1st September 2003, 18:22
This is what ya want....like FireFight said, if ya need to borrow it just let me know :)

Andrew
1st September 2003, 20:08
Isn't it nice to see all these ZXR 250's. No regrets buying that bike.

Nouseforaname
1st September 2003, 20:17
Yeh for sure..... the zxr is doing me well until i get my full, currently sitting in the garage unused at the moment though, damn revenue collectors, lose of licence = loss of fun:angry2:

wkid_one
1st September 2003, 20:48
you might have luck if you ask for a C Spanner

Firefight
1st September 2003, 21:43
Why didn't we think of that ?

Nouseforaname
1st September 2003, 21:55
haha...because it's more fun to talk in code.... but now i know what the tool is called:D

georgedubyabush
1st September 2003, 23:11
Hicksville is near plenty of wooded hills, but none near Helensville. Lets see if Horeke means anything to anyone. I thought not. Look for the Hokianga Harbour on the map, then across the water from Kohukohu

Pukekohe aye? In my prebiking days I lived at Puni, Partner taught at Tuakau college. Also lived at Miranda.

Firefight
2nd September 2003, 15:39
Oh, yeah I know Kohukohu, I seem to remember an incident with a chainsaw at the pub a few years ago, is that the one ?, I was up there a while back and heard a few good stories about some of the locals, I'll PM you if your interested, not suitable for this forum, anyway it sounds like you got sorted with what you need:gob:

cheers firefight:rockon:

georgedubyabush
2nd September 2003, 19:47
Chainsaw? doesnt ring a bell though wouldnt surprise me round here, can be pretty rough and ready. There was a little armed offenders/stolen guns/homeinvasion caper that went down at our local a couple of weekends ago.

Although Kohukohu is within earshot, it's quite a way by bike so I dont spend much time there. Makes a good little loop though. Home > Mungamuka > Kohukohu > ferry to Rawene > Kaikohe > Okaihau > Home.

merv
4th September 2003, 12:52
I don't know the ZXR250 well but I presume its like most mono-shocks (except the trusty VFR which has easy adjustment) with the two notched screw rings that adjust the spring preload up or down. Typically you have to hold one of the rings and undo the other because they act like a lock-nut. So my advice is go down to your shop and buy two C-spanners. I use two on my dirt bikes.

Then adjust the spring tension to suit, one spanner is OK for that, but then you need two to lock them together again. Also typically from what I have owned the standard setting for preload seems to be somehwere in the middle meaning the two screw rings things will have about equal amount of thread sticking out top and bottom. Me being a short arse and not too heavy, I generally have to back mine off a bit (but not right off like your pokemon) or else the ride is too firm.

The trick is to adjust it to suit your weight so the ride is just right, but remember if you stiffen up the spring you may need to stiffen up the damping adjustment too to stop it pogo-sticking as the damping has to resist the bouncing forces that the spring generates with your 85-90kg arse moving up and down on the bumps.

Redstar
8th September 2003, 21:33
If I'm a gambling man Id say your maxing out your shock?
is there a leak of oil? chances are the oil is almost history and we are down to GAS? now the more shaft we expose the greater the risk of bending! so a girlfriend told me in 1979 and if you bend your shaft your up for a new one! a rebuild is like $160 but a new one is like $400 so don't dick around rebuild it before you bend it.
PS Mines due.

georgedubyabush
9th September 2003, 12:05
Errr, now I'm confused. There's no oil leakage at all, it's just how I got it from red baron: On the lowest setting. Do you mean that my weight on the soft spring is frigging the shock? I havent noticed a 'fucked-shock' feel (like in several old shitter cars ive had).

I drove today so cant look at it but, It has 5 or 6 steps that you twist onto, dont think it has a locknut (although maybe I'm missing the obvious and it does and thats why it wont turn). Its the same as the twins on the XL185.

Just waiting on motomail catalogue to get the tool. I can see that crusty old pipe wrench sitting in the corner tempting me though...

Maybe i'll just ride up through the Mungamuka gorge to Kaitaia Motorcycles and be done with it. Be a good comparason on the way back.

merv
9th September 2003, 13:34
OK most old twin shock bikes had the stepped adjusters on (like you mention for the XL185) and I did admit I don't know the ZXR250, but if its a monoshock then I would have expected it to be a screw thread adjustment type. If not then you probably will only need one c-spanner as you won't have a lockring to undo as well. Anyone else out there with a ZXR that can advise?

What redstar is saying is your shock may need a rebuild too - maybe there is no sign of oil because its all leaked out already - but then you say it doesn't feel bad so it probably is OK. During a rebuild they re-gas them too.

Sounds to me you still gotta get the preload set right first and go from there and it definitely isn't normal to be on the softest setting - they generally come standard set somewhere in the middle so you gotta get back to there first.

Then worry about the shock rebuild if its needed.

Dave
9th September 2003, 13:50
As you said at the start of this thread, if the spring is set on the softest knot, it will be too soft for an 80/85 kg rider. Get a c-spanner, jack the bike so the weight is off it. You mentioned that it had 6 positions- Go to the 2 position from hardest, this should work well for your weight.
The shock should also have 2 screw adjustments for compresion and preload, they will almost certainly be set to minimum for pokemon boy. Wind them all the way in and then screw them right out to get an idea of how much adjustment they have.
Set both to the middle of their travel.
This will make every thing work fairly well until you find some factory settings. The bike will handle better with stiffer settings at the rear than if it is too soft.
Once you get used to riding it you can start to alter the compression and rebound settings, but at the moment you dont have anything to compare it to.
see ya!

georgedubyabush
9th September 2003, 14:46
cheers, that really helps alot. Soon as I get the tool.

While i'm at it I should probably get a few other things and make up a bit of a kit. Guess, a couple of spanners, alan key, screwdriver, ductape, zip ties, pliers, some kind of puncture plug kit? anything else suggested for the road?

Dave
10th September 2003, 11:17
Go to a car wrecker (or bike wrecker) and get a tool kit out of a jap car, they come in a little pouch and have an interchangable screw driver,10/12mm open ended spanner,14/17 open ender, and some slip jaw pliers.
Then just buy the one or two allen keys you need at repco.
This will save you heaps of cash!