Headbanger
24th July 2008, 23:49
Spiffing.

jrandom
24th July 2008, 23:58
Hmmm!<tenchars>

Shadows
25th July 2008, 00:30
I have to see it in the flesh, because it looks so wrong in every photo I've seen so far. Hopefully the pictures don't do it justice.

To me the front and rear look as though they just don't belong together, like somebody has ripped the arse end off an '80's jap bike and and welded it to the front half of something vaguely resembling a sporty.

nallac
25th July 2008, 01:10
shit thats a good price for a nice lookin sporty.
i just wish the bigblocks where that cheap.

justsomeguy
25th July 2008, 01:46
:oi-grr:..... that looks "made in Japan".....:eek5:

Not nice.....:pinch:

Forest
25th July 2008, 05:11
It has a 250kg dry weight and a push-rod engine. No thanks.

SlashWylde
25th July 2008, 07:07
The word I would use is 'Ugly'.

But, each to their own of course.

KiwiRat
25th July 2008, 07:23
Don't be too quick to judge until you see one in the flesh.

Once you add that third dimension that a paper image doesn't have, things become a lot different.

A mate of mine bought a Thunderbird Sport, then rang me to tell me. I Googled some images, and thought "Hmmmm, a bit ugly in ways.

But when I saw it in the flesh it all dropped in to place.

Your mind is like a parachute.

Works best when open.

White trash
25th July 2008, 07:37
So Dave, does that mean it's coming here?

Toss that factory exhaust system in the rubish, throw on a set of twi upswept Super Traps to roast your inner thigh on, and you've got one seriously horny mototrcycle.

God I hate being broke.......

Sully60
25th July 2008, 08:08
Toss that factory exhaust system in the rubish, throw on a set of twi upswept Super Traps to roast your inner thigh on, and you've got one seriously horny mototrcycle.

CFWB showed me the promo vid/gallery for these and there was one with a set of carbon skinned Termigonis, vast improvement lookswise.

Some very well executed standup wheelies in the vid too:headbang:

At least your not alone:(

Cajun
25th July 2008, 08:14
damn thats nice.

and a bloody good price.

found one in black

'Powered by an air-cooled, fuel-injected 1200cc v-twin, the XR 1200 is not likely to offer outstanding speed or acceleration but in terms of style, we think the bike may be hard to beat. It really is very, very cool. Other details available at this time are twin-shock rear suspension, belt drive, 43mm Showa USD front forks, Nissin disc brakes at the front, and Dunlop Qualifier tyres – 120/70ZR18 (front) and 180/55ZR17 (rear). More details, pics and video on Harley’s XR 1200 minisite here (http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/2006_Campaigns/XR1200_minisite/XR1200_popup.jsp?locale=en_GB).'

merv
25th July 2008, 08:16
Uh oh!

Harleydom may be closer than I thought!

Who'd of thought that - but I think I agree its looks good to me.

Crasherfromwayback
25th July 2008, 08:19
Uh oh!

Harleydom may be closer than I thought!

Yeah like 12 Kent Tce close. We've got a demo coming too mate!!

I saw it in the flesh at last years dealer show, and they're between a Sporty and a Big Block in size. Perfect.

Crasherfromwayback
25th July 2008, 08:22

You mean like this Jimmy??

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=71377&highlight=XR1200

Cajun
25th July 2008, 09:07
came across this spec wise (was looking for more detailed information)

http://www.harley-jhb.co.za/HD/Johannesburg/2008bikes/specs/XR1200.pdf

Hp not to bad @ 90hp / 67kW @ 7000 rpm
with plenty of tourques 74 ft. lbs / 100 NM @ 3700 rpm
weight a tad heavy than i though at 250kgs

jrandom
25th July 2008, 09:12

It's definitely coming here. AMPS told me earlier in the year that they'd have a demo in September.

I'll be without a licence when it arrives, though.

:crybaby:

jrandom
25th July 2008, 09:15
Not so sure I'm keen on the 13.3L tank. It's not going to be the world's most economical bike.

Should still be able to (just) manage a > 200km range, but I can't help but think that it'd be nicer to have a couple extra litres in there.

Oh well. Style is king!

pzkpfw
25th July 2008, 09:26
Do they charge another grand to take that ugly sticker off?

(Otherwise not so bad...)

Big Dave
25th July 2008, 09:38
>> It's not going to be the world's most economical bike.<<

Won't be too bad either. They are quite economical for a 1200.

jrandom
25th July 2008, 10:07
Won't be too bad either. They are quite economical for a 1200.

Any idea on the fuel mileage numbers, then?

Cajun
25th July 2008, 10:12

i saw some when looking for specs, give me a mo i find them again

xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=141801 <--- this thread here is a US specs i saw somethign on there, can't get in the thread at moment maxium number of times viewing from this ip with out reg on there site

Big Dave
25th July 2008, 10:15
No numbers - not one of my criteria.
They tell me a granny on a Buell gets about 50mpg.

jrandom
25th July 2008, 10:29
They tell me a granny on a Buell gets about 50mpg.

On an XB12? That's 21km/L, which is the same as Devil's KTM 690SM.

Possible but unlikely, I would have thought.

The XR1200's a hell of a lot heavier than an XB12 S or R, though, and who knows what the effect of its engine tune will be.

What do you get on the Ulysses?

merv
25th July 2008, 13:24
On an XB12? That's 21km/L, which is the same as Devil's KTM 690SM.

Possible but unlikely, I would have thought.

The XR1200's a hell of a lot heavier than an XB12 S or R, though, and who knows what the effect of its engine tune will be.

What do you get on the Ulysses?

Nah mate 50mpg is 17.7km/litre. 20km/litre is 56 mpg, 21km/litre is about 59mpg.

Lias
25th July 2008, 13:27
I think thats possibly the ugliest harley I have ever seen.. The only other contender was a turquoise ultra glide.. damn that thing was ugly.

jrandom
25th July 2008, 13:28
Nah mate 50mpg is 17.7km/litre. 20km/litre is 56 mpg, 21km/litre is about 59mpg.

Google (http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=50+miles+per+gallon+in+kilometres+per+litre&btnG=Google+Search&meta=) Calculator (http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=20+kilometres+per+litre+in+miles+per+gallon&btnG=Search&meta=) is your friend (http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=21+kilometres+per+litre+in+miles+per+gallon&btnG=Search&meta=).

:niceone:

jrandom
25th July 2008, 13:29
The only other contender was a turquoise ultra glide...

I think I may have seen that bike on the motorway once. Southbound near Papakura.

*shudder*

merv
25th July 2008, 13:32
Google (http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=50+miles+per+gallon+in+kilometres+per+litre&btnG=Google+Search&meta=) Calculator (http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=20+kilometres+per+litre+in+miles+per+gallon&btnG=Search&meta=) is your friend (http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=21+kilometres+per+litre+in+miles+per+gallon&btnG=Search&meta=).

... so you don't know about Yankee gallons then? - get learning boy.

jrandom
25th July 2008, 13:36
... so you don't know about Yankee gallons then? - get learning boy.

Google Calculator uses US gallons by default. Your numbers were based on Imperial gallons.

Which unit of measurement do you think American Harley and Buell owners use to buy their petrol and calculate their mileage?

:blink:

Lias
25th July 2008, 13:37
I think I may have seen that bike on the motorway once. Southbound near Papakura.

*shudder*

Ultra glides in general arn't particularly appealing bikes.. This one was custom'ed up in a bad way and turquioised.. It was truly, truly horrific.

merv
25th July 2008, 13:38
Google Calculator uses US gallons by default. Your numbers were based on Imperial gallons.

Which unit of measurement do you think American Harley and Buell owners use to buy their petrol and calculate their mileage?

:blink:

Big Dave was quoting figures and I presume with him being an Aussie he wouldn't talk that stuff in this country or his.

jrandom
25th July 2008, 13:46
Big Dave was quoting figures and I presume with him being an Aussie he wouldn't talk that stuff in this country or his.

I assumed he was reporting mileage figures he'd heard from Buell owners in America.

In this part of the world, vehicles' odometers measure kilometres and you buy petrol by the litre, so km/L or L/100 km are the natural units to use to measure fuel economy.

Is there any country in the world other than the US where people buy fuel in gallons and have trip meters which count miles?

jrandom
25th July 2008, 13:48
Ultra glides in general arn't particularly appealing bikes.. This one was custom'ed up in a bad way and turquioised.. It was truly, truly horrific.

Almost certainly the one I saw, then.

I think it had a lady rider. Or perhaps she was just pillioning. I can't remember. I was too busy trying to avert my eyes.

merv
25th July 2008, 13:51
Is there any country in the world other than the US where people buy fuel in gallons and have trip meters which count miles?

Some of us have long memories, except we had real gallons and real tons here.

Hey that's another point the Harley would sound a whole lot lighter if its weight was quoted in Yankee tons.

jrandom
25th July 2008, 13:55
Hey that's another point the Harley would sound a whole lot lighter if its weight was quoted in Yankee tons.

The magical world of the internets tells me that American tons are 'short' tons, so wouldn't it sound heavier?

Horse
25th July 2008, 14:04
Ultra glides in general arn't particularly appealing bikes.

I beg to differ. Electraglide Ultra Classics are absolutely gorgeous examples of motorcycling IMHO.

merv
25th July 2008, 14:06
The magical world of the internets tells me that American tons are 'short' tons, so wouldn't it sound heavier?

Yeah just testing you, they have the 2,000 pound job versus the 2240, but we are so getting used to kg and someone above said this bike was 250kg and that would sound so like a small number at 0.28 tons (Yankee) instead of 560lbs.

imdying
25th July 2008, 14:20

"20 kilometres per litre in miles per gallon"

Not quite...

"20 kilometres per litre in miles per us gallon"

jrandom
25th July 2008, 14:24
"20 kilometres per litre in miles per gallon"

Not quite...

"20 kilometres per litre in miles per us gallon"

Those two queries give me the same result. Does Google not default to US gallons for you?

jrandom
25th July 2008, 14:29
Yeah just testing you, they have the 2,000 pound job versus the 2240, but we are so getting used to kg and someone above said this bike was 250kg and that would sound so like a small number at 0.28 tons (Yankee) instead of 560lbs.

Mmyes.

I was a bit surprised to see that the XR1200's dry weight is 20kg more than a GSX1400's. It seems a bit excessive.

Oscar
25th July 2008, 15:57
XR1200 – NZ$16,750!
Word.

I likes it.
My latest Cycle World Magazine has the wierd situation of a US Publication testing (and praising) an HD that is not available for sale in the US.

limbimtimwim
25th July 2008, 16:19
XR1200 – NZ$16,750!
Word.Giggity.

A Harley I actually want.

Eeek..

jrandom
25th July 2008, 16:24
Giggity.

Eeek..

Oh, pfft, don't be such a snob. There's plenty of Harleys I want.

This, however, is the first Harley ever that I'd consider having as an 'only' bike.

In fact, I strongly suspect it'll be my next bike. Time will tell.

KiwiRat
25th July 2008, 16:25
Giggity.

Eeek..

Life can be scary at times, can't it.;);)

Motu
25th July 2008, 17:54
About time Harley cashed in on the most successful racing motorcycle of all time - close,but not close enough for me.What happened to lean and mean? An XR750 is lean and mean,the XR1200 is obese.Same as the Triumph twin range...cashing in on a light and fun motorcycle with something overweight that looks good in a shop front window as rider goes past eyes not on the road.

Give me the cash and I'd get a basic 883 Sporty and fit a flattrack seat and bars.Plenty of change left to play with tyres.....

AllanB
25th July 2008, 18:08
Expect to see more Harleys on the road.

That new one, the nightster and the sportser are $16 or so.

The following sub $15 k Jap bikes that have been a good mainstay for Honda and Suzuki are now discontinued with no 09 models available.

VTR1000
SV1000
CB919 Hornet
GSX1400

So for a K or so more than a naked Japanese 600 (actually the new Hornet 600 is going to be 16k) you can get a HD.

If you so desire.
Ignore the whole bla bla not real bikes bullshit they are now a real alternative to everyday biking in the mid-range market.

Plus chicks appear to dig them - WTF's with that eh?

merv
25th July 2008, 18:16
Plus chicks appear to dig them - WTF's with that eh?

Must be the long stroke engine huh :laugh:

Pussy
26th July 2008, 08:57
Very positive sounding write-up in the July Fast Bikes magazine. The pommy tester loved it. I suspect the XR1200 is going to be a very popular bike

imdying
26th July 2008, 09:13
Ignore the whole bla bla not real bikes bullshit they are now a real alternative to everyday biking in the mid-range market.Damn skippy :yes:

I want something placid that the wife can go for rides on the back of, that doesn't cost more (new) than a GSXR750 (which is the bike I'd probably buy next to the wife's disgust)... a nice orange bike could be the winner :)

limbimtimwim
26th July 2008, 11:00
Damn skippy :yes:I want something placid that the wife can go for rides on the back of, that doesn't cost more (new) than a GSXR750 (which is the bike I'd probably buy next to the wife's disgust)... a nice orange bike could be the winner :)My old girlfriend liked ridding pillion on my gsxr750k6. If your wife is short and flimsy, it's not too bad.

scumdog
26th July 2008, 11:49

It goes with parenthood.:(

It will pass.:2thumbsup

scumdog
26th July 2008, 11:54

55+mpg

Or for the yoof-of-today about 20km per litre.

That's what C.B.s 1200 Sporty gets, even two-up with gear.

White trash
26th July 2008, 13:44

To the twit that red repped me for this comment, there's a fairly substantial difference to owning and riding a K7. Let me assure you, I'm broke.

jrandom
26th July 2008, 13:47
55+mpg

Or for the yoof-of-today about 20km per litre.

That's what C.B.s 1200 Sporty gets, even two-up with gear.

Hot damn, that ain't so bad. Makes Betty's 33mpg (US) look rather... profligate.

:crazy:

White trash
26th July 2008, 13:50
Hot damn, that ain't so bad. Makes Betty's 33mpg (US) look rather... profligate.

:crazy:
Jesus son! You must be going pretty easy on the throttle to get that sorta mileage outta the big girl.

I remember using a GSX1400 to get to Manfield to watch some racing, it seems meand Bruce Telford needed a bit of a race ofour own and I used the (mammoth) tank of juice between Wellington and Masteron.

Pussy
26th July 2008, 14:00
I've just read the write up again... I fuggin WANT one of them XR1200s!

limbimtimwim
26th July 2008, 14:54
This, however, is the first Harley ever that I'd consider having as an 'only' bike. In fact, I strongly suspect it'll be my next bike. Time will tell.I think a lot of people will agree with you. I think they'll sell a few.

jrandom
26th July 2008, 15:07
Jesus son! You must be going pretty easy on the throttle to get that sorta mileage outta the big girl.

Yup. That's the best I can get, going as easy as possible.

She does 16mpg at trackdays.

HenryDorsetCase
26th July 2008, 16:52
XR1200 – NZ$16,750!
Word.

NOFUCKINGWAY!!!!!??!??!?!??!?!?!!!!!!

I am presently stuffing $100 bills into my mouth. Yup, getting ready to put my money where my mouth is.

The new Buell 1125CR looks very attractive though.

Big Dave
26th July 2008, 16:57
NOFUCKINGWAY!!!!!??!??!?!??!?!?!!!!!!

I am presently stuffing $100 bills into my mouth. Yup, getting ready to put my money where my mouth is.

The new Buell 1125CR looks very attractive though.

---------------------------------------

Notes to Editors:

Pricing Information

XR1200 – A$15,995 / NZ$16,750
V Rod Muscle (VRSCF) - A$25,995 / NZ$26,750
Fat Bob CVO – A$52,995 / NZ$53,995
FLHR – A$28,495 / NZ$28,995

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, the only major U.S.-based motorcycle manufacturer, produces
heavyweight motorcycles and a complete line of motorcycle parts, accessories and general merchandise.
For more information, visit Harley-Davidson's Web site at www.harley-davidson.com.

------------------------------------

HenryDorsetCase
26th July 2008, 17:02
Its a complete conundrum: Triumph Scrambler ($15k odd) vs XR1200:

AllanB
26th July 2008, 22:05
Its a complete conundrum: Triumph Scrambler ($15k odd) vs XR1200:

I suspect after a test ride it will be easy.

Scrambler makes HALF the hp of the new 1200.

Looks pretty but f-me if it does not go like a 1980 CB400

Shame on Triumph for using its most gutless of engines.

Big Dave
26th July 2008, 22:16

Bullshit.

scumdog
26th July 2008, 22:23
Chrissy-Bimbo says woot-woot!:2thumbsup

Only item she didn't like is the twin zorst - reckons a two-into-one and a single Supeertrapp would be the go.

Big Dave
26th July 2008, 22:27
Chrissy-Bimbo says woot-woot!

Is that Police code for something?

HenryDorsetCase
26th July 2008, 22:36
I suspect after a test ride it will be easy.

Scrambler makes HALF the hp of the new 1200.

Looks pretty but f-me if it does not go like a 1980 CB400

I dunno. I've actually test ridden a scrambler. Glen at Street & Sport (bless 'im) said "take it to the top of the hill if you like, see how it goes". Got to the top of the hill and went back the long way. (for chirstcurchians, up to Sign of Kiwi, out to the wheatsheaf, over gebbies and back thru Halswell. I will say its a fuckload better on a motorbike than that same ride on a pushbike...) test ride around 50 km, with city riding, tight corners, uphill and down, and a couple of long sweepers thrown in for good measure. Thats basically what I do on a street bike now, go to Akaroa, go to the Bealey, up to Kaikoura and the odd weekender or long ride.

The Triumph was an absoute ball to ride. Seating position, power delivery, "snap" when you pull the trigger, all good. Didnt vibrate, I have no concern about reliability, it had not bad brakes (within the limits of its tyres, though they were surprisingly good.) Dead stable at 140kph in the long sweeper, no weave no wobble. Sounded great (could be louder) and her indoors said she liked it also.

Of course it depends what you want your bike for: I have a track bike so I can get cheap thrills that way in a controlled environment, safely. Yup, I'm old. I have no interest in going hard on the road anymore, so for me its all about bopping along, having a good time. But I dont want a cruiser, it isnt me.

The only thing that I didnt like that much was sitting in traffic the pipe heated up my inner thigh a bit. I was in jeans, so I doubt it would be an issue with leathers.

In short, I didnt feel the thing was underpowered by any means, and having ridden a CB400 Twin that a guy I rode with had in the '80's (I had a GSX400, a MUCH better bike...) the comparison is grossly unfair.

And if I did get one and did find it was underpowered, there are solutions: cams, pipes and jets. Though I wouldnt want to do anything that upset the "balance" of the package, and I'd rather spend the money on Ohlins shocks and fork rebuild. The other thing with the scrambler is that it would be good for doing some gravel road exploring, which I am sort of keen on also.

The big drawback of the Harley for me would be the 250kg weight (my Hornet is I think 215, and the scrambler is around the same) a very small fuel tank, and the fact that I'm not sure if I want an HD, no matter how good the bike is (and yes, thats my problem).

But there is it seems only a grand difference in the price.

Definitely worth a test ride though, as you say, but power in a road bike just isnt where its at for me any more.

scumdog
26th July 2008, 22:40
The big drawback of the Harley for me would be the 250kg weight (my Hornet is I think 215, and the scrambler is around the same) a very small fuel tank, and the fact that I'm not sure if I want an HD, no matter how good the bike is (and yes, thats my problem).

Definitely worth a test ride though, as you say, but power in a road bike just isnt where its at for me any more.

The weight is not an issue - unles you plan on dropping it!

The fuel tank is likley to give you at least 200km

And power they ain't got by the ton - but usable, streetable torque they have in gobs..

Give one a go.

AllanB
26th July 2008, 23:19
I don't use the 108 claimed hp of my Hornet very often. looking at the power curve I probably really use 70-80hp in normal use. Honda claim 195 kg dry for the Hornet so yes 55 kg more is a lot on the HD.

I had a 1983 Kawasaki 750 twin for 23 years - that engine was good for 55hp. Enough for cruising and doodling up the hill at a sane pace.

BUT

Is that really all they get out of a 2008 750 twin!

I would have been very serious about a Bonnie when I purchased the Hornet if they had a extra 15 or so ponies. Thunderbike in Nelson can fix that for a couple of grand if you have the $.

Ah shit maybe when I turn 50 :confused:

At least it is a honest alternative to a HD.

Forest
27th July 2008, 03:50
---------------------------------------

Notes to Editors:

Pricing Information

XR1200 – A$15,995 / NZ$16,750
V Rod Muscle (VRSCF) - A$25,995 / NZ$26,750
Fat Bob CVO – A$52,995 / NZ$53,995
FLHR – A$28,495 / NZ$28,995

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, the only major U.S.-based motorcycle manufacturer, produces
heavyweight motorcycles and a complete line of motorcycle parts, accessories and general merchandise.
For more information, visit Harley-Davidson's Web site at www.harley-davidson.com.

------------------------------------

For all you moaners that complain about Australians getting a better deal, take note:

At today's rates:

$16,750 NZD = $12,994.64 AUD

Plus the Aussies have to pay a further 5% stamp duty to get the bike on the road (though technically the stamp duty rate varies according to your state).

James Deuce
27th July 2008, 08:40
For all you moaners that complain about Australians getting a better deal, take note:

At today's rates:

$16,750 NZD = $12,994.64 AUD

Plus the Aussies have to pay a further 5% stamp duty to get the bike on the road (though technically the stamp duty rate varies according to your state).
Whose moaning?

Most of the comments I've seen about the exchange rate and relative prices have made that point. Where the difference comes in the is the 80-120% difference in take home pay for my particular job within the industry in which I work. Which renders that difference utterly moot.

With that kind of income I'd have a KTM 690 Enduro and an XR1200 in the Gargre and the wife would have the Renault Megane Sport she's been lusting after.

Forest
27th July 2008, 11:54
Whose moaning?

No moaning in this thread, but there has been in others.

Most of the comments I've seen about the exchange rate and relative prices have made that point. Where the difference comes in the is the 80-120% difference in take home pay for my particular job within the industry in which I work. Which renders that difference utterly moot.

I live in Melbourne. It is very easy to earn money over here ... but also easy to spend it.

nallac
27th July 2008, 12:03
[QUOTE=AllanB;1663824]I don't use the 108 claimed hp of my Hornet very often. looking at the power curve I probably really use 70-80hp in normal use. Honda claim 195 kg dry for the Hornet so yes 55 kg more is a lot on the HD.
QUOTE]

not true
i swapped my sporty for my hornet.
it was a 1200 kitted 883 prob putting out 70-80ish hp(@flywheel)
the weight difference is not really that noticable as the HD
is alot lower than the Hornet, it was a lot easier to man handle
than the CB900.

the power difference is tho.

R6_kid
27th July 2008, 12:49
That looks like a bit of me!

There is a review in the latest Performance Bikes mag from England.

Shadows
10th August 2008, 02:33
They look alright in silver

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=BYGfe4OZlss

James Deuce
10th August 2008, 07:16
I knew there'd be a silver lining. Can't have one of the Sporty faithful not liking the XR! Thanks for the vid too. That looked like Buell lean angle!

Kiwi Graham
10th August 2008, 07:20
damn thats nice.

found one in black

'

Looks better in black but verdict is still out