PDA

View Full Version : Any one know?

fireball
25th July 2008, 14:19
I am starting the process of a buying a new bike! and because im lazy i still dont have my full yet, so another 250 it is going to be!

ive had a look around sat on a few bikes from the zeal to cafe racers the new GPX to test sizes and asked questions about dropping various bikes through the forks etc and that idea is a no go....

so cruisers it is lucky i like em!

i have two options that im going to test ride but would like to pick your brains first

first is ahem:sweatdrop the Honda Magna... i know it has i similar engine set up to the VTR but other than that i know nothing regarding how bulletproof the engine is, how suitable the bike is going to be on my long commute to work (200km) so any one who has owned a magna please tell me what you think of them.

the other option is a Yamaha XVS250 its not the Virago but similar i was told its the flag ship for Yamaha i know nothing about this bike except the price tag of $6995 for a second hand bike.... its nice and low and comfortable. but if anyone knows what this bike is like also please let me know.

i guess my main concerns are i dont want a repeat of Rawberry the bike that has spent more time off the road than on it and cost more than any other bike ive owned, and the bike has to be able to do hundreds of km a week without crying about it.

so please any input would be great

nodrog
25th July 2008, 14:25
if i was you i would get off your arse and get your full. for that sort of money you could get a bigger cc bike that would be more suited for a 200km commute, rather than ringing out another poor 250.

fireball
25th July 2008, 15:02
i have to wait out the restricted time frame..... once ive done that then a bigger bike it is...

Nagash
26th July 2008, 00:14
Err, well i've ridden a few magna's. Probably the best 250 cruiser on the market in term's of what you want from a 250 cruiser albiet one of the most expensive.. quite big and heavy bikes, not the easiest to get round a corner either but they're very comfortable and they have the honda reliability. Decent lookers too but i'm sure you already know that.

The XVS 250 more commonly known as the dragstar is also a very nice bike. Another upmarket 250 cruiser, i've only ridden the dragstar 400 an that was quite an amazing bike. It's also quite a big 250 but it's one of the best handling aswell.

You're two options are very expensive high standard 250 cruisers that most people buy with the intention of keeping past their full, unless their rich and just want the best.

I was inches away from buying a magna myself, but I decided to hold out till my full, which i'll hopefully pass next friday.

Then i'll be able to fully work on selling the rebel..

Good luck with whatever you get, cruisers are the way to go.

MSTRS
26th July 2008, 10:58
Have a word with Stickchick re her Kawasaki Eliminator. She's not selling (afaik) but you could sit on etc. Very handy little 250 for short people. Waaaay cheaper to service as well. They share the same bulletproof 250 twin as the ZZR and GPX or Z.
Doing high k's on a V-twin gets expensive, servicing-wise.