PDA

View Full Version : Riding a new bike home in bad weather?

Crazy Steve
25th July 2008, 22:27
Theres a Guy I know, hes on his way up from Wanganui as a passanger in a truck atm..

He brought a Bike from Auckland last weekend and hes going to ride it back to Wanganui in the Morning..Or in the arvo ? ?

He knows about the storm....and he has three kids at home and a Wife..

How do I talk him out of riding home this weekend...And staying at my house.....Im pretty sure hes not going to listen...

Maybe the storm wont be that bad...

Suggestion please...

Crazy Steve..

Drew
25th July 2008, 22:34
Enough of the bleeding heart shit, it's a bit of wind and rain FFS.

Ride to the conditions and he'll be fine.

Trudes
25th July 2008, 22:35
Offer to get him completely shit faced and cook him a massive feed.... that's how I always got guys to stay over at my place.;):laugh:

Crazy Steve
25th July 2008, 22:37
http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/index.php?alias=akradar

Taupo is maybe having 130kph winds...

Surley he wont make it ? ?

No normal person would do it right ? ?

Crazy Steve....:(

Crazy Steve
25th July 2008, 22:39
Enough of the bleeding heart shit, it's a bit of wind and rain FFS.

Ride to the conditions and he'll be fine.

How do you ride to 130kph winds ? ? ?

Ive never done that...Maybe 80-90kph max ! ! !

Bleeding heart aye....Wow I should stop caring then Drew...

Crazy Steve..

Crazy Steve
25th July 2008, 22:40
Offer to get him completely shit faced and cook him a massive feed.... that's how I always got guys to stay over at my place.;):laugh:

I dont think that will work...

But im willing to try..

Thanks for that..

Crazy Steve..

Number One
25th July 2008, 22:45
I think it is great that you are concerned and care enough to want to get him to stay a while. Good luck -I know when I have a mission in my head to get done it takes a fair amount to get me to change plans - but if Mrs K offered me a feed and some booze I'd drop everything :woohoo:

Crazy Steve
25th July 2008, 22:50
I think it is great that you are concerned and care enough to want to get him to stay a while. Good luck -I know when I have a mission in my head to get done it takes a fair amount to get me to change plans - but if Mrs K offered me a feed and some booze I'd drop everything :woohoo:

Thanks....I spoke to a friend about it that we share in commen..

But he kinda laughed it off aswell...As did Drew...

Is this typical Kiwi male pride....Or are they just idiots??

Im Crazy....But I dont want to die....And wouldnt ride in this weather..

The storm is at our doorstep...

I dunno....

Crazy Steve

Number One
25th July 2008, 22:55
I wouldn't call any of the guys idiots...well actually I would if they fucked me off BUT I think it is just a each to his own thing. You can't make your friend stay behind (well actually that isn't true you probably could :lol:) all you can do is couch your thoughts in a way that shows you give a shit and that you are 'concerned' for him. Personally I'd rather have drinkies with a mate and wait the really bad weather out....but how long would that be with this storm? Got a trailer.....

justsomeguy
25th July 2008, 23:01
Yes, it's stupid kiwi pride - "She'll be right" mentality. It's good in most cases but not in this one.

Just take the keys off him and hide it. If he's someone who can take -YOU- on physically then he's probably big and ugly enough to take the storm on.

But seriously mate, this looks like no joke: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10523423

Get his wife on the phone, maybe she can talk sense into him.

Or get Winja to kickbox him to sleep.

Number One
25th July 2008, 23:03
Yes, it's stupid kiwi pride - "She'll be right" mentality. It's good in most cases but not in this one.

Just take the keys off him and hide it. If he's someone who can take -YOU- on physically then he's probably big and ugly enough to take the storm on.

But seriously mate, this looks like no joke: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10523423

oooo DEFINITELY play the wife card :shutup:

rainman
25th July 2008, 23:08
Is this typical Kiwi male pride....Or are they just idiots??

Im Crazy....But I dont want to die....And wouldnt ride in this weather..

Dunno if the word is idiot. Maybe something stronger... :) Is he an experienced rider?

I assume this is a sporty that he's coming to fetch? I seriously wouldn't ride anything in 130k winds, certaintly not a faired bike. And I ride in most conditions, not afraid of a bit of wind, rain and hail (don't get snow here).

Maybe try to persuade him to stay in Auckland for a day or so until the weather improves a bit? That way he still gets to complete the mission but in one piece, and can make the decision based on actual conditions. Even if he can't stay with mates cost of a motel and a few meals isn't a big deal...

Crazy Steve
25th July 2008, 23:08
I wouldn't call any of the guys idiots...well actually I would if they fucked me off BUT I think it is just a each to his own thing. You can't make your friend stay behind (well actually that isn't true you probably could :lol:) all you can do is couch your thoughts in a way that shows you give a shit and that you are 'concerned' for him. Personally I'd rather have drinkies with a mate and wait the really bad weather out....but how long would that be with this storm? Got a trailer.....

Thanks..:)

Crazy Steve..

Crazy Steve
25th July 2008, 23:10

Thanks JSG,

I will ring his wife....I think she the best one to talk him out of it....:)

Crazy Steve..

Oh and Winja's not available atm for kick boxing..:)

Crazy Steve
25th July 2008, 23:14
Dunno if the word is idiot. Maybe something stronger... :) Is he an experienced rider?

I assume this is a sporty that he's coming to fetch? I seriously wouldn't ride anything in 130k winds, certaintly not a faired bike. And I ride in most conditions, not afraid of a bit of wind, rain and hail (don't get snow here).

Maybe try to persuade him to stay in Auckland for a day or so until the weather improves a bit? That way he still gets to complete the mission but in one piece, and can make the decision based on actual conditions. Even if he can't stay with mates cost of a motel and a few meals isn't a big deal...

He is an Experienced rider...

And no its not a Sporty, it a 250cc so even worse....

I agree a Night via a Motel is cheap way home..

Crazy Steve

Crazy Steve
25th July 2008, 23:17
Anyway ive tried ringing him....

And texted him to stop in on way home...

Will do my best to make him stay...but have to go to bed before i turn into a Pumkin....

Crazy Steve..

CookMySock
26th July 2008, 08:08
Enough of the bleeding heart shit, it's a bit of wind and rain FFS. Ride to the conditions and he'll be fine.I trust you are joking Drew. This isn't going to be your run-of-the-mill squally shitty day. This one will be a bewdy.

Surley he wont make it ? No normal person would do it right ? ? He might make it. But why go on a trip when you *might* make it ? It makes no sense. Go when you *will* make it. Yeah I think I would classify that as abnormal.

You can't make your friend stay behindFriends are the only people who get to say NO YOU WONT. Everyone elses word doesnt mean jack schit compared to the words from a friend. If your worried friend says "no fucking way" that means no fucking way, son, and you better hear them good. Cough, we worry, you see.. :(

DB

Drew
26th July 2008, 08:30
How do you ride to 130kph winds ? ? ?

Ive never done that...Maybe 80-90kph max ! ! !

Bleeding heart aye....Wow I should stop caring then Drew...

Crazy Steve..

It's a horrible shity way to ride, but I'm sure I'm not the only one to have ridden in that sort of crap.

The bleeding heart remark was prolly a bit rough, just cant figure out why people around this place seem so hell bent on thinking they know best.

Is the guy an adult? Then he can make his own decisions.

icekiwi
26th July 2008, 09:56
Is the guy an adult? Then he can make his own decisions.

That and 2 or 3 HTFU pills......
And its an easterly so it should mostly be in his face on the way home...lol

Hope he's got a wetsuit....

What sort of bike is he on??

He can crash at my place tonight if he needs too... pm...
(well not crash!!... but a place to stay...)

nadroj
26th July 2008, 10:06
If get gets away early enough & heads down the west coast (rather than Taumaranui / Parapara's) he should out run it & avoid the worst.

Bren
26th July 2008, 10:16
Winds have been recorded at just under 150KMH at Cape Reinga...No way would ya see me driving, let alone riding in those conditions....The guys gotta be crazy!

Mr Duncan said winds in exposed northern regions could gust to 150km/h and 180km/h in parts of the eastern Waikato.

Latest on the storm here...This was put on line at 9 44am today
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10523616

Number One
26th July 2008, 10:18
"the most intense sub-tropical storm of the decade" hits the North Island"

Hang on to your nickers northland!!!!

Meekey_Mouse
26th July 2008, 10:55
If your mate gets to Taupo (or within an hour or so of it) and decides he just can't do it give him my cell or call me... I've got a trailer and happy to go pick him and bike up (hopefully still in once piece) he's more then welcome to stay the night here as well.

If ya don't have my number PM me and I'll reply back with it

Crazy Steve
26th July 2008, 12:59
If your mate gets to Taupo (or within an hour or so of it) and decides he just can't do it give him my cell or call me... I've got a trailer and happy to go pick him and bike up (hopefully still in once piece) he's more then welcome to stay the night here as well.

He left at 7am this moring and I thinks hes just managed to stay ahead of the Storm..

Trying to get hold of him atm....

Very Very Mad ! ! !

Crazy Steve..

Crazy Steve
26th July 2008, 13:04
Hey made it....

Fck hes one Very Lucky Smurf ! ! ! !

Crazy Steve..

Meekey_Mouse
26th July 2008, 14:42
Wow, awesome stuff! Good to hear! :D

Pussy
26th July 2008, 15:50
Glad your mate is safely at home, Steve. The weather in NP is ratshit, and getting worse.
Good on you for your concern for your mate

quallman1234
26th July 2008, 16:09
130kmh isn't that windy, its not unusual for wellington airport to see 100 kmh + Ive flown in 34 gusting 43 knot winds, and rode there as well.

ynot slow
26th July 2008, 16:14
Glad your mate is safely at home, Steve. The weather in NP is ratshit, and getting worse.
Good on you for your concern for your mate

Typical have to get my bike from Hawera Sunday after shifting house,was going to go back today and finish cleaning up,and thought stuff it get unpacked here,might pick up a trailer tommorrow and use that if it is going to be shite,only 1 &3/4 hour easy ride though.

mark247
26th July 2008, 16:32
130kmh wind is fine, you just have to ride the same direction as the wind. Should be a very nice and still ride home for him.

Nah in all seriousness, riding home in this weather is a bit dodgy, but in saying that, i just cruised home from Hamilton this morning and it was a very nice ride actually.

Sidewinder
26th July 2008, 16:48
Theres a Guy I know, hes on his way up from Wanganui as a passanger in a truck atm..

He brought a Bike from Auckland last weekend and hes going to ride it back to Wanganui in the Morning..Or in the arvo ? ?

He knows about the storm....and he has three kids at home and a Wife..

How do I talk him out of riding home this weekend...And staying at my house.....Im pretty sure hes not going to listen...

Maybe the storm wont be that bad...

Suggestion please...

Crazy Steve..

tell him you will get him pissed and root him all night, that would make me stay!!!
sidewinder

Sidewinder
27th July 2008, 19:24

im at home do you want to come pick me up and ill stay at your place and keep you warm for the night!:bleh:

dpex
30th August 2008, 17:53
A few weekends ago I rode down to Rottenrua, during the tail of the 'big' storm. Coming through Fitzgerald Glade I spotted a fellow biker ahead. I watched as he came out of the cushion of the trees and straight into a cross-wind of at least 60 knots. And it was fair pissing down.

Silly bugger should have pushed his windward knee way out to create the vacuum. But no. Over he leaned. On he went till he got to the next set of covering trees.

Pooom! The wind stopped, he was still leaning. He ended up in the ditch; albeit unharmed.

I discovered he had had fifteen years of riding 'experience' on his 250.

Go figure!

Number One
30th August 2008, 18:09
should have pushed his windward knee way out to create the vacuum.

ooo new (or just unknown) trick! ...I hadn't heard of this one...sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean? I have visions of sticking one leg out as if I'm going to put my knee down...is that what you mean?

..windward remind me that would be the side that the wind is coming from or is it the other way round? Yes yes give me shit if you will for my foggy headedness but I have a head full of snot at the moment and my blonde wig on to boot...and I promise that I won't be amused if you do.

Seriously I would like this explained so that I might try it if it is a good trick for wind riding I'm keen to learn it...am from Welly after all