PDA

View Full Version : Computer guys/gals have a look.

98tls
27th July 2008, 20:10
No doubt its terminal knowing my luck:confused:Ive got this line about a couple of inches wide running down my screen,just turned up a few minutes ago,hopefully you can see it in the pics,its not an internet thing as its there as soon as i turn it on.......any ideas?Its bloody annoying i can tell you.

Headbanger
27th July 2008, 20:14
Shes poked.

It will be hardware failure, either the screen or the video chipset and neither can be replaced (within reason).

Though you could make sure the vents are clear and the fans are spinning, It maybe a heat related fault.....

scracha
27th July 2008, 20:26
Seconded.

If it lives on the desktop, change the hibernate/standby settings for when the lid is closed and plug in a (now very) cheap LCD monitor and USB keyboard.

98tls
27th July 2008, 20:30
Cheers guys,fan isnt spinning so buggered if i know.Went through the paperwork and i found the 5 year warranty thing i bought with it,i guess everything is covered..is it?

cs363
27th July 2008, 20:55
Cheers guys,fan isnt spinning so buggered if i know.Went through the paperwork and i found the 5 year warranty thing i bought with it,i guess everything is covered..is it?

Should be as long as you bought it within 5 years, lol. You'll probably need proof of purchase as well as the warranty agreement (invoice/till receipt etc).
Just check the wording of the warranty, some have exclusions for some items.

98tls
27th July 2008, 21:07
Should be as long as you bought it within 5 years, lol. You'll probably need proof of purchase as well as the warranty agreement (invoice/till receipt etc).
Just check the wording of the warranty, some have exclusions for some items.
Sweet,got the proof of purchase stuff from Smith City,worst thing is it has to go back to Smith City and they send it up to the big smoke so will be in withdrawl for awhile methinks.

FJRider
27th July 2008, 21:16
If we don't hear from you for a while.... I'd watch what web site's ya visited in future... some dodgy one's around...

98tls
27th July 2008, 21:23
If we don't hear from you for a while.... I'd watch what web site's ya visited in future... some dodgy one's around... :confused:It happened when i copied the link from ebay to here of the V8 powered bike.No idea myself,will just drop it off at the shop and get it sorted.Going to be a pain in the arse with no puter.<_<Still goes ok may well leave it until it shits itself completly.

98tls
27th July 2008, 21:31
Shes poked.

It will be hardware failure, either the screen or the video chipset and neither can be replaced (within reason).

Though you could make sure the vents are clear and the fans are spinning, It maybe a heat related fault..... Actually mate the fan is working,its turning on/off all the time so you may well be onto something,shop will sort it i guess.

wickle
27th July 2008, 21:39
if u going send comptur away save import stuff on to USB thingy in case of loss , cheap at Dick Smith

FJRider
27th July 2008, 21:48
:confused:It happened when i copied the link from ebay to here of the V8 powered bike.No idea myself,will just drop it off at the shop and get it sorted.Going to be a pain in the arse with no puter.<_<Still goes ok may well leave it until it shits itself completly.

SEE I TOLD YA...must have picked up the Yamaha web site, all the POWER...<_<

98tls
27th July 2008, 21:52
SEE I TOLD YA...must have picked up the Yamaha web site, all the POWER...<_< :rolleyes:Yea yea............

Headbanger
27th July 2008, 21:53
Actually mate the fan is working,its turning on/off all the time so you may well be onto something,shop will sort it i guess.

Thats normal operation, Its when they don't run at all you need to get worried.

Of course, with that stripe on the screen you already have reason to be worried.

98tls
27th July 2008, 21:59
Thats normal operation, Its when they don't run at all you need to get worried.

Of course, with that stripe on the screen you already have reason to be worried. Computers and mobile phones,hate them both,might be a good thing if it takes them a while to fix as it might get me out into the garage at night doing stuff i keep putting off instead of sitting in front of this thing.Theres a few bikes out there need some TLC.;)

Headbanger
27th July 2008, 22:06
I spent 4 years fixing the damn things before it dawned on me how much I hated them....

I'm quick like that.:crazy:

FJRider
27th July 2008, 22:08
Computers and mobile phones,hate them both,might be a good thing if it takes them a while to fix as it might get me out into the garage at night doing stuff i keep putting off instead of sitting in front of this thing.Theres a few bikes out there need some TLC.;)

Are you talking about the real world ???? there really is one ????? might be better to put the TLC on some(one)thing closer to home that can be ridden on days/nights not suitable for motorcycles...:innocent:

cs363
28th July 2008, 18:44
Computers and mobile phones,hate them both,might be a good thing if it takes them a while to fix as it might get me out into the garage at night doing stuff i keep putting off instead of sitting in front of this thing.Theres a few bikes out there need some TLC.;)

Ha....I know that feeling! Too easy with this weather to make excuses and sit inside in front of the PC/TV and the fire!
Good call that someone else made about backing up any important stuff to a flash drive/CD's etc - your insurance might have a replacement clause and given that it could be fairly serious you might just get a new computer, so it might be a good call to do the old documents & settings transfer onto disc, just in case.