PDA

View Full Version : Importing bike to NZ

Bikernereid
29th July 2008, 08:39
I have become emotionally and after over 7000k in 2 months, physically attached to mine n OWNERs little Yamaha Fazer 600 and am interested to know if anyone else has imported a bike into NZ. If yes I would like to know how much I am looking to pay and if there is duty/tax to be paid on a bike that is over 4 years old and that has over 20,000k on the clock. I am not sure if it is more financially viable to sell the bike here (it would be in the winter which is never the best time to sell) or to import it into NZ.

Any advice or experiences would be very welcome.

CB ARGH
29th July 2008, 09:12
Get one of those bags that you hokup to a vaccum cleaner to make the contents smaller, then it's really small and cheap to post. :pinch:

Freebird
29th July 2008, 09:20
Hi,

I brought over my CBR1100XX 2 years ago there are a few cost getting it on the road (MAF check and entery test) but no duty unless you sell it here. the biggest down side for me is the MPH speedo and the poxey 62mph speed limit here.

After driving the car (kmph clock) I quite often find myself doing 100mph:eek5:, if I get caught I don't think that will stand up in court

Bikernereid
29th July 2008, 09:26
How much was it to ship in if I can ask? MAF, is that like our service history or M.O.T? I have no clue.

I am not worried about the mph/kph as this bike has a digital system which flips between the two. Luckily I am used to driving in both mph and kph so can switch between the two without being too over the limit -ish ;-)

Hi,

I brought over my CBR1100XX 2 years ago there are a few cost getting it on the road (MAF check and entery test) but no duty unless you sell it here. the biggest down side for me is the MPH speedo and the poxey 62mph speed limit here.

After driving the car (kmph clock) I quite often find myself doing 100mph:eek5:, if I get caught I don't think that will stand up in court

Swoop
29th July 2008, 09:38
MAF, is that like our service history or M.O.T? I have no clue.
Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries. MAF.

The bike needs to be really clean! Steam cleaned and polished up, type clean.
They are pedantic buggers here.

Bikernereid
29th July 2008, 09:42
Who looks like an Ass now? I had a bad 2 hour experience coming into NZ with my trecking boots so can only imagine just how bad they would be re a bike. Yikes

Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries. MAF.

The bike needs to be really clean! Steam cleaned and polished up, type clean.
They are pedantic buggers here.

Patch
29th July 2008, 09:42
send it over in bits - easier to avoid paying tax that way

Bikernereid
1st August 2008, 20:34
I don't have that much free time!! Will sell it and borrow one of OWNERs bikes!

send it over in bits - easier to avoid paying tax that way

Scruffygit
11th August 2008, 22:06
I'm shipping my Blackbird over at the moment.

I'm using Pickfords and it's costing me an extra £450 sipping and £150 insurance on top of all my other baggage in a shared container. The bonus with them is that they collect from your home rather than you having to ride her to a collection depot as required by some shippers.

Re the cleaning, I was told by Pickfords not to bother getting her steam cleaned in the UK because the NZ customs will almost certainly insist on having it done on entry irrespective of how clean it is so you end up paying twice. Instead just give her a good clean and then coat everything in grease/ACF50 for corrosion protection during the journey - the steam cleaning here will remove it.

The biggest hassle was getting the letter of conformity from Honda UK. As an Australian model bike they didn't want to know. A couple of contacts from here but posting on a UK 'Bird website were god-sends with there help and advice.

I'm told I will have import duty and WoF/registration to pay but not GST if I keep her for another two years and, as a bonus, will get more for her here than I would in the UK - prices for used bikes are extortionate compared to the UK.

jrandom
12th August 2008, 21:07
I have become... physically attached to mine n OWNERs little Yamaha Fazer 600

:lol:

I done told you, get up off the seat before the leakage dries!

McJim
12th August 2008, 21:08
Questions:
How long have you owned the bike? Answer = more than 2 years.
How long will you be in New Zealand? Answer = settling here.

Then you won't have to pay duty on the bike coz you are not importing it for sale (however you must not sell it in the next 2 years).

If your answers to the above questions differ from those posted here then you may have to pay duty.

Compliance and registration should be no problem since the Fazer 600 is available new here and will probably be the same spec.

Kwaka14
12th August 2008, 21:10
One of the guys from work has just brought in his R1 and R6 from the uk and found it was much cheaper/ easier to have the bike de reg'd in the uk and bring it in to NZ as a race bike, I'll see if I can get the details of who in yamaha to contact etc to get the cert of conformity and any other details if you like. Currently considfering taking my ZX14 to the UK at the moment dependent on costs....

Mully
12th August 2008, 21:14
Re the cleaning, I was told by Pickfords not to bother getting her steam cleaned in the UK because the NZ customs will almost certainly insist on having it done on entry irrespective of how clean it is so you end up paying twice. Instead just give her a good clean and then coat everything in grease/ACF50 for corrosion protection during the journey - the steam cleaning here will remove it.

With all due respect, Pickfords are lying to you. MAF (Not Customs) do not require a clean all the time. I have seen several private bikes not require a clean to clear MAF, providing they are SHOWROOM spotless when arriving.

Bear in mind, MAF cleans must be done by MAF approved cleaning facility, and they will spank you until you bleed with costs

And shouldn't the bike be rustproofed from the factory?? What the fuck do they need to smother it in grease for??

Then you won't have to pay duty on the bike coz you are not importing it for sale (however you must not sell it in the next 2 years).

If your answers to the above questions differ from those posted here then you may have to pay duty.

For clarification purposes (McJim got it mostly right) motorcycles are duty free in their own right. Above questions are to avoid GST (VAT for those playing at home)

McJim
12th August 2008, 21:25
For clarification purposes (McJim got it mostly right) motorcycles are duty free in their own right. Above questions are to avoid GST (VAT for those playing at home)
Meh, Tax is tax whatever hat it's wearing.....and I want mine back.:rofl:

Mully
12th August 2008, 21:34
Meh, Tax is tax whatever hat it's wearing.....and I want mine back.:rofl:

This'll get you then - Duty is a levy, and therefore subject to GST in itself.

cs363
12th August 2008, 21:38
Just to be pedantic MAF is actually Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry.....for what it's worth. :)

Bringing a bike in is the proverbial piece of piss, providing you have all the relevant shipping docs (Bill of lading & proof of ownership mainly (make sure you have your rego certificate and if possible original bill of sale)) as it's a model that is already available in NZ you shouldn't have any major probs. Things they normally check for besides normal roadworthiness issues are that all the lights have the appropriate 'E' marks (or SAE etc) and that the brake discs are above minimum thickness.
For all the real info, wade through this website: http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/importing/

There is no duty, only sales tax which is 12.5% based on the landed cost (value of bike plus shipping costs in NZ$) though as you've owned the bike for some time I believe they let you off that as long as you don't sell it within a certain period - again, check the LTSA website above for all the required info.
I've just been through all this as I recently imported a bike from the US.
Good luck with yours! :)

avgas
12th August 2008, 21:45
sell yours - buy my fazer 1000.

YellowDog
15th August 2008, 14:38
Just to be pedantic MAF is actually Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry.....for what it's worth. :)

Bringing a bike in is the proverbial piece of piss, providing you have all the relevant shipping docs (Bill of lading & proof of ownership mainly (make sure you have your rego certificate and if possible original bill of sale)) as it's a model that is already available in NZ you shouldn't have any major probs. Things they normally check for besides normal roadworthiness issues are that all the lights have the appropriate 'E' marks (or SAE etc) and that the brake discs are above minimum thickness.
For all the real info, wade through this website: http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/importing/

There is no duty, only sales tax which is 12.5% based on the landed cost (value of bike plus shipping costs in NZ$) though as you've owned the bike for some time I believe they let you off that as long as you don't sell it within a certain period - again, check the LTSA website above for all the required info.
I've just been through all this as I recently imported a bike from the US.
Good luck with yours! :)
Yes, that is correct. Importing a bike to NZ is a nice, easy, and cheap process. Plus the bike will be worth a lot more than in was in the UK.

You get asked to sign a DOU (Document of Undertaking) which basically means that if you sell it within 2 years from the import date, you will have to pay the GST value. If you get a UK valuation before you bring it put, it will save a lot of hassle and MAF over valuation.

It is very important that you clean it thoroughly, including under the mug guards etc. Also, you will need to drain the fuel. There is no import duty to pay, you just need to take it to a Compliance centre (AA or Coventry) and get it registered.

It is very important that you confirm the bike is absolutely 'Stock' and without mods before it gets here. The compliance guys are really switched on to non-standard changes and will fail it without much of an excuse.

Regarding the shipping cost; it cost me nothing at all as it was just loaded in the container with all my other worldly posessions.

Good luck.

cs363
15th August 2008, 15:17
It is very important that you clean it thoroughly, including under the mug guards etc. Also, you will need to drain the fuel. There is no import duty to pay, you just need to take it to a Compliance centre (AA or Coventry) and get it registered.

Agreed - My bike was mint when it went into the crate, the MAF guys just took one look and let it go! :)
And just to expand on YellowDog's comments - yes, fuel needs to be drained from the tank (not washed out or anything just drained) (I filled mine with a rust preventative solution, water based - just to be on the safe side, this stuff here: http://www.evapo-rust.com/) carbs (if fitted) don't need to be drained, battery must be disconnected and terminals taped to prevent arcing.

Oil is fine so no need to drain that, though if you haven't changed it for a while it pays to do an oil change as old oil can have harmful combustion by-products that can damage seals etc if left for long periods.

Shipping costs will depend on size of the crate you put it in and all up weight, and whether you are shipping it in a container of household effects or by itself. make sure you use a few sets of good quality tie downs to secure the bike (not rope etc) as containers can take quite a beating especially in rough seas (and some ports...)
It's also not a bad idea to use a crate slightly larger than you need to create a buffer zone around the bike, especially if shipping long distances.

Just a note for anyone considering air freight, unless the bike is brand new (as in totally unused, never had fuel in it) forget it as it will be classed as DG (dangerous goods) no matter whether you drain the fuel, carbs etc and wash everything out. This will approximately triple the cost of shipping (ouch!)

portokiwi
15th August 2008, 15:31
All I know is that it is costing us !000 euro to ship a container from Portugal to Auckland and arrives in 60 days. I get to have some of my toys again:2thumbsup

jonbuoy
15th August 2008, 19:43
With all due respect, Pickfords are lying to you. MAF (Not Customs) do not require a clean all the time. I have seen several private bikes not require a clean to clear MAF, providing they are SHOWROOM spotless when arriving.

Bear in mind, MAF cleans must be done by MAF approved cleaning facility, and they will spank you until you bleed with costs

And shouldn't the bike be rustproofed from the factory?? What the fuck do they need to smother it in grease for??

Bikes rust proof?? :rofl: You should see the state of them after a couple of years of riding on gritted winter roads. I wouldn't coat them in grease but definately a can of CRC or WD40 all over won't go amiss - I still have a few rust spots/dull ally and I did the same. Even if its in a container the sea air will get to it. If your shipping other stuff definately take it with you - your airline baggage will barely be enough for two weeks clothes and some riding gear.

Bikernereid
15th August 2008, 19:49
Thanks you guys this is brilliant and has provided lots of food for thought and useful information. Will try and wade through it all in due course and try and find the best solution.

It is great to know that it will be worth more there than it is here!!

Mully
15th August 2008, 22:09
Bikes rust proof?? :rofl: You should see the state of them after a couple of years of riding on gritted winter roads. I wouldn't coat them in grease but definately a can of CRC or WD40 all over won't go amiss - I still have a few rust spots/dull ally and I did the same. .

Ahh, see, they don't put grit on Auckland roads, so I wouldn't know about that.

YellowDog
16th August 2008, 18:48
Thanks you guys this is brilliant and has provided lots of food for thought and useful information. Will try and wade through it all in due course and try and find the best solution.

It is great to know that it will be worth more there than it is here!!
I bought the bike I brough over for GB£1400 in 2004 and sold it here in Jan 2008 for NZ$5500.

Amazing!

If I had known I would have bought a few over!

McJim
16th August 2008, 18:53
I bought the bike I brough over for GB£1400 in 2004 and sold it here in Jan 2008 for NZ$5500.

Amazing!

Yeah, NZ gubermint has a problem with people making a living so that's why the 2 year rule comes in (GST not duty for the pedantic tax people and customs officers.:Pokey:)

Bikernereid
16th August 2008, 19:05

Amazing!

OWNER recons that we wouldn't make anything on our FAZER as he has seen them for pretty much the same price as we pad here £2500. As I am not there I have no clue and can't argue with what he has experienced. Maybe you have hit on a business idea, we have someone in the UK that ships to order for those peeps looking for cheaper bikes than are available in NZ!

YellowDog
16th August 2008, 19:50
Nice idea!

In UK bikes are cheap in the winter so you can export to the NZ summer time where they are expensive.

The only issues would be GST and Shipping.

"This time next year Rodders, we're gonna be miwlyenaers'

Bikernereid
16th August 2008, 19:52
Nice idea!

In UK bikes are cheap in the winter so you can export to the NZ summer time where they are expensive.

The only issues would be GST and Shipping.

"This time next year Rodders, we're gonna be miwlyenaers'

I would have thought that if you could ship enough over it would make fiscal sense to but cheap here and sell in NZ. Might be worth looking into as I have so many biker friends here who might be into making a buck.

Snails pace
18th August 2008, 07:18
[QUOTE=Mully;1686056]With all due respect, Pickfords are lying to you. MAF (Not Customs) do not require a clean all the time. I have seen several private bikes not require a clean to clear MAF, providing they are SHOWROOM spotless when arriving.

Just shipped my bike, rather dirty, from South America. It was covered in 8 months worth of grime. Cost $140 to have it cleaned by MAF. A good hand wash and you would be laughing.

Bikernereid
18th August 2008, 07:28
[QUOTE=Mully;1686056]With all due respect, Pickfords are lying to you. MAF (Not Customs) do not require a clean all the time. I have seen several private bikes not require a clean to clear MAF, providing they are SHOWROOM spotless when arriving.

Just shipped my bike, rather dirty, from South America. It was covered in 8 months worth of grime. Cost $140 to have it cleaned by MAF. A good hand wash and you would be laughing.

Thanks mate.

Voltaire
18th August 2008, 08:38
I brought my Kombi back in to NZ after touring Europe. It was loaded in the container in London complete with all our gear and even food and beer.
MAF made me remove everything and open all boxes. He was looking for honey products ( i kid you not).
Van was cleanish despite 25 000 km of touring...but the pair of trainers with dirt on and the WW1 shell casing had to be put in bags and taken away for cleaning....$ 70.00
The Kombi was cleared and I drove it away......
Then Customs wanted to charge me GST.
As it was registered here and rego on hold I told them why should I pay GST on something I just took on holiday....after much discussion with supervisor...no GST.
I UTI on the way out very good. Did clearance in UK myself....not good. Pay to have it cleared..much easier.

BirdXX
10th November 2008, 05:26
I'm shipping my Blackbird over at the moment.

I'm using Pickfords and it's costing me an extra £450 sipping and £150 insurance on top of all my other baggage in a shared container. The bonus with them is that they collect from your home rather than you having to ride her to a collection depot as required by some shippers.

The biggest hassle was getting the letter of conformity from Honda UK. As an Australian model bike they didn't want to know. A couple of contacts from here but posting on a UK 'Bird website were god-sends with there help and advice.

I'm told I will have import duty and WoF/registration to pay but not GST if I keep her for another two years and, as a bonus, will get more for her here than I would in the UK - prices for used bikes are extortionate compared to the UK.
How did you get your letter of conformity? I am moving down soon and have decided to bring my 'bird with me, now trying to get my head around the formalities. I originally bought my bike in the UK then imported it into Ireland.

Also, how does "entry certification" work, and can it be done at Auckland Port?

Thanks all...

426crasher
12th November 2008, 19:12
[QUOTE=BirdXX;1803742]How did you get your letter of conformity? [QUOTE]

When i moved here from pomgolia i brought my fireblade over and was told that motorcycles did not need a letter of conformity so i didn't get one. A guy from vtnz came and checked her over and gave her a "pass" and i went straight to the AA and registered it. If you are coming to New Zealand to live and it is for the first time, ie not a returning resident, you don't pay any duty on anything you bring over. The only exception is for motor vehicles, bikes and cars, that you have not owned for more than 12 months. Then you pay some duty. Another post mentioned bringing a container full of bikes, this might be seen as a buisiness venture by customs. The law regarding letter of conformity might have changed now as i cam over 5 years ago.
Cheers Tony.

scracha
15th November 2008, 08:01
If you're shipping over a container anyhoo with all your stuff then bunging a bike in adds about 300UKP. My advice would be to go to MCN or ebay.co.uk and buy as many 250cc bikes as possible and ship em over cos with the learner laws they go for stupid money here/

old git
15th November 2008, 21:09
i imported mine 6 years ago, after owning it in the UK for 20 years, i still had to get a valuation so the bastards could charge me GST, on a bike that they said was worth more than i paid new. But as for the rest......drain out the fuel wrap it well after cleaning and send it , its no real hassle just a bit of robbery by the govt.

426crasher
16th November 2008, 19:30
i imported mine 6 years ago, after owning it in the UK for 20 years, i still had to get a valuation so the bastards could charge me GST, on a bike that they said was worth more than i paid new. But as for the rest......drain out the fuel wrap it well after cleaning and send it , its no real hassle just a bit of robbery by the govt.

Yeah i had to get a letter stating the current value of my fireblade which i got from the local Suzuki dealers, free, but was told that i would only pay duty if i sold the bike within 2 years. If you give your bike a good clean it should pass. MAF are really strict about anything like grass or seeds stuck to your bike so pay good attention to cleaning under mudgaurds belly pan areas etc.

Kiwi Graham
16th November 2008, 19:55
Shipped over my race bike (a GSXR750)> I got a crate of Suzuki and put it in. The bike was cleaner than new and I managed to stick a load of other stuff in the crate too, tyres, fuel cans, spares etc. Spoke to the shippers who informed me when MAF were going to inspect the crate and met them there. Took the crate apart myself and took the bike out (minor reassembly) and produced it for MAF to check. They didnt clean it, they were impressed with the state it was in and let it go through no worries. The farings were off and the bike was fucking clean. It didn't get warrented or registered but all the paperwork was available to do that if required. The guy I sold it to put it on the road without any dramas.

FastBikeGear
14th December 2008, 12:45
Has anyone found any good on-line sites for checking out the price of second hand motorcyles in Japan?