PDA

View Full Version : License exemptions

sefer
29th July 2008, 19:12
No this isn't a "I'm too tall/fat/just don't want to ride a pissy 250" thread ;)

I've noted that a few people have managed to get exemptions based on size, distance travelled for regular commuting, having to travel frequently in 100km zones etc, and that in some cases they have been able to take their full license test straight away instead of simply getting a CC exemption, so I'm wondering has anyone managed to get one (to sit their full) for the following:

I'm likely off to Japan for at least a year very soon for work, and basically they have pretty much the same set up as here in that I can drive there on my NZ license (with international license) for a year before having to get a Japanese one (and then it's pretty much a straight swap over). The problem being that since I'm still on my learners (laziness on my part I admit, I could of had my full by now, but since I like my bike I've never bothered) I can't get a motorcycle endorsement on the international (ok there is one very easy but totally not legit way around this).

So what do you think? If I write in and request leave to sit my full am I likely to be accepted? Anyone done something similar before?

Thanks.

BiK3RChiK
29th July 2008, 19:23
I think what you might find is that since you could have gone further with the licence process but you haven't, that they may not give you an exemption.

Just my 0.02

Tank
29th July 2008, 22:17
I went from my Learners (about 2 months riding in total from memory) to a full license bypassing the restricted.

It was based on me riding in 100 km zones and a limit on me doing 70 being unsafe.

search by by user name and license dispensation and you will find exactly what I did, what forms to fill in and how it works.

Good luck.

sefer
29th July 2008, 22:32
Thanks Tank, I've already done just that and it was all really helpful advice.

I'll be giving them a call tomorrow to talk about it and see what they think (LTSA that is), but in the meantime I'm hoping someone has tried it before so I can get an idea if it's worthwhile applying for it, especially since I'm probably gone in less that 25 days, so may not actually get the chance to do anything if it's accepted anyway.

Tank
29th July 2008, 22:41
I'm hoping someone has tried it before so I can get an idea if it's worthwhile applying for it, especially since I'm probably gone in less that 25 days, so may not actually get the chance to do anything if it's accepted anyway.

I tried it - it was worth it for me - but its gonna take at least 20 days (their quoted response time) so possibly no use to you.

boomer
29th July 2008, 22:53
I went from my Learners (about 2 months riding in total from memory) to a full license bypassing the restricted.

It was based on me riding in 100 km zones and a limit on me doing 70 being unsafe.

search by by user name and license dispensation and you will find exactly what I did, what forms to fill in and how it works.

Good luck.

It just goes to show that bypassing the process only ends up in tears..!!! more idiots on the road who bin !

hayd3n
29th July 2008, 22:54

Good luck.
very interesting tell me more

boomer
29th July 2008, 22:58
very interesting tell me more

if you read the news you'll see they;re doing away with teh 70 in a 100 zone.. so i wouldn't hold out too much hope for this 'excuse'

you kiwi's should do the full 3 years then an advanced course too.. then and only then should you be allowed on the roads!

ps.. i went from 'L' to 'Full' in 2 weekends ... :2thumbsup bwahahhahahahaha thanks passrite

sefer
30th July 2008, 00:46
I tried it - it was worth it for me - but its gonna take at least 20 days (their quoted response time) so possibly no use to you.

To be more specific, tried it for the same (or similar) reason. I mean it'd make sense to me to let me do it, since if I didn't get the exception I'd just be sitting my restricted before I leave, probably not riding the entire time I'm away, then sitting my full once I'm back, totalling zero extra experience. Of course just because it makes sense doesn't mean much :)

Yeah clearly time is also short, I might not even manage to book a test between now and then, let alone submit the paperwork, get a responses (hopefully in a week or so), and book/sit the test.

Plus if I do either test, I'll be pushing to get my plastic in time, which is a pain, same thing happened to me when I renewed just before I left last year for the States. It arrived just as I was leaving for the airport!

awayatc
30th July 2008, 00:53
Borrow a mate's full licence.....
I am sure that to the japanese "us round eyes " all look the same.....

(works the other way around...)

:scooter:

sefer
30th July 2008, 00:55
Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, yes I will be a resident and be able to sit it in Japan where they have a system based on engine size, so you get one license for a moped, one for up to 250, one for up to 400(or there abouts), and one for anything above (and you can sit any level you like any time). But the tests are apparently ridiculously hard, to the point of it being a bit of a scam, with ex-cops running the driver training schools where your almost guaranteed to pass if you pay them the $$$, and anyone not using the schools failed multiple times.

awayatc
30th July 2008, 01:10
So how long ago did you get your learners....?
And why again did you not sit further tests...?

Maybe learners licences should have an expiry date.....
like "if you haven't progressed to the next level within one year or so, you are obviously not a very good learner and you have therefor failed....
After all it is a licence to learn how to ride on public roads.
Not a full licence to ride an under 250 cc bike....

My .02 yen.....

CookMySock
30th July 2008, 09:22
So what do you think? If I write in and request leave to sit my full am I likely to be accepted? Anyone done something similar before?Just tell them your situation, and just ask to sit your full license.

Countless people on KB have got an exemption for all sorts of absurd reasons (and absurd bikes, an R6 on learners no less) so simply fill the form out, pay your 22bux and they will give you want you want. Really, they seem to hand exemptions out of their weetbix packet without care or consideration - I know of no one who has been turned down. If folks are brave enough to ask, they seem game enough to just give it.

Just do it.

DB

Tank
30th July 2008, 14:01
It just goes to show that bypassing the process only ends up in tears..!!! more idiots on the road who bin !

I aint binned yet.

sefer
30th July 2008, 15:16
So how long ago did you get your learners....?
And why again did you not sit further tests...?

Maybe learners licences should have an expiry date.....
like "if you haven't progressed to the next level within one year or so, you are obviously not a very good learner and you have therefor failed....
After all it is a licence to learn how to ride on public roads.
Not a full licence to ride an under 250 cc bike....

My .02 yen.....

Actually when I work it out I'd only just be eligible to sit my full now had I done the restricted straight away (wasn't going to happen since I was in either Europe or Thailand at the time). I tend to forget I was actually riding with no license for quite a while...

Sadly your not going to buy much with your .02 yen, or 0.00025 cents ;)

awayatc
31st July 2008, 00:17
Sadly your not going to buy much with your .02 yen, or 0.00025 cents ;)

Good news for you however is that you could bring back a secondhand bike for a song.....
Good luck...:bye:

sefer
31st July 2008, 17:19
Yes, defiantly a plus. Any bike over there over 250cc has to have a bi-yearly test somewhat akin to a warrent, but much harder and much more expensive. As a result anything under 250cc are common, and anything over that don't pass the test, or their owner just doesn't bother after a few years, tend to go pretty cheap.

I did call the LTSA only to get a "we don't do exemptions for your convenience" response. I may still try (tomorrow since time is getting on) and see what happens, it's only $22. If not I'm probably just going to have to get my 6L removed completely, since my license has learners all over it, which makes it hard enough to explain to cops/rent-a-car places in English speaking countries, let alone anywhere else.

...if I could just find a NZ-Rarotonga-Japan fare I'd be set :)

dpex
25th August 2008, 22:06
I got my bike licence in 1966, care of Glenfield MOT. By the time the so-called 'life-time' licence was introduced, I hadn't ridden for ages, so never noticed my 'Life-time' licence was bereft of my bike licence.

Latterly, I have contacted LTNZ to complain. Their answer was, essentially, 'Shit happens. So you'll just have to sit the tests again?'

I actually don't have a prob with that. In fact the time compression game, coupled to an essential need-to-know, has seen me sign up for all manner of course, from which I'm getting some good advice and knowledge.

But I live in fear some cop will nick me and then use the Boy-Racer legislation to nick my bike; like they used that legislation to nick the front-end loader from the West Coast company, a few weeks ago.

Question: To whom does one apply for exemptions?

Tank
25th August 2008, 23:03
Question: To whom does one apply for exemptions?

You ca get a form from the AA