PDA

View Full Version : Naive question

orographic
31st July 2008, 09:56
ok, naive question time.

how would transit etc react if we ( as a group) offered to specifically and separately stumped up the money to either cover or replace these barriers?

I could imagine it having definate propaganda currency in our favor ( " we can no-longer countenance waiting for transit to fix this menace to new zealanders wanting to enjoy the use of the road legally, so we are doing something about it ourselves" )

would this be stood on quickly? or should we try something like this?

logistics requirements would slow it to a progressive roll-out anyway, which could defuse the government knee-jerk, if it was emphasized

and if they decided to obstruct the new works, well, we are a bunch of kiwis, who are spending our own money trying to make the roads safer for everyone, right?

boomer
31st July 2008, 10:04
I can donate 20c. Would you mind loaning me the rest..??

MSTRS
31st July 2008, 10:05
You can offer...watchoo gunna do if it's accepted?
otherwise, a good idea

koba
31st July 2008, 10:28
Interesting Question....

I'm Poor...

CookMySock
31st July 2008, 11:09
why, thats the most naive question I have ever heard !

Yes, its most certainly going to have them wondering isn't it... :whistle:

DB

Shadows
31st July 2008, 21:58
I pay enough fucking tax thank you very much

Madness
31st July 2008, 22:04
I pay enough fucking tax thank you very much

That bloody Clark Government. Next they'll tax us for having a shit. I'm glad I'm (virtually) married.

I'll put in all the change from my jar. It's about $5 I think.

MSTRS
1st August 2008, 09:28
Actually, I can see Transit's reaction as being...
"Thank you for your offer, but there is no test data available showing any advantage in covering the posts/wires. There is also no data available on which, if any, cover system is better than others. In the absence of these critical figures, our engineers have determined that the uncovered posts/wires are best for all road users."

The Pastor
1st August 2008, 09:40
it will cost alot of money.

orographic
1st August 2008, 21:47
Actually, I can see Transit's reaction as being...
"Thank you for your offer, but there is no test data available showing any advantage in covering the posts/wires. There is also no data available on which, if any, cover system is better than others. In the absence of these critical figures, our engineers have determined that the uncovered posts/wires are best for all road users."
well then, that itself suggests a possible wedge. getting, or possibly more accurately, shoving their noses ( in a figurative sense) in data comparing the effectiveness and lethality of a selection of solid barrier, wire rope barrier, and EMAS systems.

and then from there, because I can see them playing the "economic realities" and "affordability" cards, data of how to improve the wire rope barrier setup, as currently installed across this country, to come more into line with the safer options as detailed in the first data set

and yes, sure its gonna cost, but also consider how much of your money has gone into paying for the cheese cutters to be put up, in the first place?

It seems to me, that they would have a harder time evading responsibility, when the political fallout of having members of the public taking on part of transits role in making the roads safe for the use of the vehicles that travel on it, starts putting the pressure on them.

MSTRS
2nd August 2008, 10:04
My point is...Transit 'control' what happens re roads and barriers etc. If they don't control everything etc, it isn't going to happen

orographic
2nd August 2008, 16:17
ok, so its not a safety/money/laziness/whatever thing, its a power trip?

MSTRS
2nd August 2008, 17:13
When you see some of the dumb things they do, then yes.

Katman
2nd August 2008, 17:15
When you see some of the dumb things they do, then yes.

Pull your pants up - your agenda's showing again.

MSTRS
2nd August 2008, 17:28
Pull your pants up - your agenda's showing again.

Forgot that turned you on. Some people just can't be trusted to behave.

R6_kid
2nd August 2008, 18:05
How about coming up with a solution for making them safer... like using 'low grade' recycled plastic (the same stuff they make wheelie bins out of) to make a shroud to cover the posts?

Katman
2nd August 2008, 18:29
What about approaching plastics manufacturing businesses to try to get one onside who might consider it well worth their while (considering how often they'd need replacing) designing and presenting to Transit NZ or the LTSA (or the NZ Govt. even) a suitable cover?

pyrocam
3rd August 2008, 13:04
How about coming up with a solution for making them safer... like using 'low grade' recycled plastic (the same stuff they make wheelie bins out of) to make a shroud to cover the posts?

old tires number 8 wire, plastic coke bottles im sure someone could invent a sub$1 per meter cover for bits we are most worried about.