PDA

View Full Version : Dome Valley

Boosted
31st July 2008, 17:44
So who saw the awesome ad in the rodney times? HUH HUH!!!! :)

westie
31st July 2008, 19:47
What of?

Boosted
31st July 2008, 20:18
Looks like they are building a new track out there, might even be at a international level...

dammad1
31st July 2008, 20:20
Looks like they are building a new track out there, might even be at a international level...

I had heard rumors that they were opening the forest up for riding again.

R6_kid
31st July 2008, 20:31
I had heard rumors that they were opening the forest up for riding again.

I heard the forrest had invaded the road and closed SH1 for almost all of yesterday...

scott411
31st July 2008, 20:58
i raced at the old dome valley motocross track once, i was about 10 years old, it was really wet and i took 10 minutes to do one lap,

Ktmboy
31st July 2008, 21:35
So this is the track that has resource consent and is nowing going to ARC for final consent.
Top points for who ever is pushing this through. Dome valley eh....Power adventures maybe?

westie
31st July 2008, 21:36
So is there gonna be a track or open slather in the forest?
I know there is a track the length from mangawai to dome valley along the range.
???

Boosted
31st July 2008, 21:38
Well hopefully this one will be better :) says its down Dibble Rd

Quote: We have discovered the cost of hiring a bulldozer to do the earthworks is high he says, its going to take longer and be more expensive than we thought. There are also challangers with the land - drainage will be needed to irrigation to keep the dust down in summer.

Rodney Motorcycle club member David Yardley

Mom
31st July 2008, 21:41
There used to be an awesome track in the Dome Valley before they planted the pines. We used to race there weekends, good sized events too. As the little tiny pines started getting bigger, and bearing in mine the 2 smoke technology back then, the racing stopped due to the fire risk (among other things) It used to be an awesome place. The access sucked though, been stuck in there so many times...Be good if they are doing something there again. All the pines are felled now, replanted and growing...take the opportunity while they can?

Ktmboy
31st July 2008, 21:48
Thats cool if Rodney have their own venue. Waitemata have Riverhead so it gives us all more options for riding. Brilliant.

Also with Rodney being MNZ licensed they can hold national events. Right in our back yard.

Boosted
31st July 2008, 21:53
umm 1 August 2008 HibiscusMatters in the rodyney times...

It says....

Rodney motorcycle club member David yardley was ecstatic to discover an area in the dome valley was approved for rodneys first designated off road bike track. Then he found out the cost of preparing the land for an international standard track.

We have discovered the cost of hiring a bulldozer to do the earthworks is high, he says. Its going to take longer and be more expensive than we thought. there are also challanges with the land - drainage will be need and irrigation to keep the dust down in summer.

Mr Yardley is now calling for sponsors to help make the clubs dream a reality.

the plan is to esablish the track on the matariki forests North island forestry area, on Dibble rd. The club envisages a user pays track run by a private venture and open to the public on weekends, the club would be reponsible for the tracks maintenance and every second sunday, would organise an event.

We want a high quality track where we can hold international events. For that we need good facilites. We are only at stage one of this project and need sponsorship to move forward.

Both Rodney district council and transit nz have given their approval.

council hopes the new track will deuce the number of off-road bikers using council reserves as their race track and damaging grasses areas.

barty5
31st July 2008, 23:10
wonder if this ahs anything to do with the other thread about wanting more tracks???

Danger
31st July 2008, 23:24
I think Dibble road is where the old Rodney Club MX track used to be. I loved racing on that track through the 80's. It had a short but really steep turning climb, then an equaly steep downhill down the other side and it was all whooped out on both sides. Then a short almost single track through some trees. It was all clay based and really slippery in the wet and real dusty in the dry. It had several man made jumps that were all nice to jump. Me and some mates sometimes went up on a Saturday to drain the puddles before race day and there was an old shed that was used for sign on and we used to sleep in that after having dinner around an open fire.
The other ride that was a regular event was the Wild Ridge Run, a 3-4 lap hare scramble over farm land and through the forest which followed a ridge on the eastern side of the highway. Big bike swallowing ruts along the ridge followed by a farm blast then a few K's of open fire trail with lots of bermed corners.
There were some really steep climbs in the Dome and it would be great to get in there again sometime.

clmintie
31st July 2008, 23:33
I think I did one of the 'Ridge Runs'.. Didn't they have a 'King of the Dome' MX? Mmmm more places to ride.....:2thumbsup:2thumbsup:2thumbsup

Danger
31st July 2008, 23:56
I think I did one of the 'Ridge Runs'.. Didn't they have a 'King of the Dome' MX? Mmmm more places to ride.....:2thumbsup:2thumbsup:2thumbsup

Yeah I gotta trophy in one of the King of the Dome races. They were organised by Matt Humphrey.

scott411
1st August 2008, 06:00
i remember was held in october 1991, it was held on the site of the north habour stadium, on a pretty cool track with man made jumps,
i remember Josh Coppins came up and rode an 85, the flew home after the 2nd race to attend his school ball,

after that i remember one being held just south of silverdale, again on a man made track, i was senior then so it must have been about 94,

telliman
3rd August 2008, 18:10
wheres dome valley?

Boosted
3rd August 2008, 18:27
just up north bro...... about an hour away from shore i guess?

Pierce
4th August 2008, 07:53
Well that's fantastic! Was just complaining that Auck's doesn't have enough places to ride.