PDA

View Full Version : Your racing preference. WET or DRY.

Brett
31st July 2008, 18:36
Question for you racers, are there any of you who actually prefer racing in the wet, and if so...WHY??

Kickaha
31st July 2008, 18:51
Pissing down wet suits me fine, I've always done fairly well in the wet beating bikes I wouldn't get near in the dry

svr
31st July 2008, 19:00
All of you strange creatures who prefer racing in the rain should get some help: "Ooh I get 5th instead of 9th the rain is so good, etc..."
Motorbikes are cool because they go fast and lean over. In the rain you go slow, you cant lean it over, you cant get on the gas. In sum you go slow but still crash more. Hands up who wants that?

sosman
31st July 2008, 19:25
Well put there SVR :Punk:

cowpoos
31st July 2008, 19:39
Question for you racers, are there any of you who actually prefer racing in the wet, and if so...WHY??
what kind of twat likes to get wet???

driftn
31st July 2008, 19:40
All of you strange creatures who prefer racing in the rain should get some help: "Ooh I get 5th instead of 9th the rain is so good, etc..."
Motorbikes are cool because they go fast and lean over. In the rain you go slow, you cant lean it over, you cant get on the gas. In sum you go slow but still crash more. Hands up who wants that?

I beg to differ. I was draging my knee in the hair pin @ manfield a few weeks ago in the pissing rain so i wouldnt say you cant lean. I think it is f@#ken scary how fast you can go and how hard you can push(on wets that is) in the rain. Also its different and a challenge im going with I like it more than dry.

scracha
31st July 2008, 19:55
Motorbikes are cool because they go fast and lean over. In the rain you go slow, you cant lean it over, you cant get on the gas.
No, I go slow, can't lean it over and have trouble getting on the gas. Some peeps out there are like ducks in the wet. I prefer the wet. Feeling the rear spinning and the odd wee front slide is a bit of a buzz. I'd prefer it more if I hat wets but there you go.

Kickaha
31st July 2008, 19:59
In the rain you go slow,

You might, not everyone does

Oh yeah, I like it on the sidecar to, here's hoping for a wet National season

Sparky Bills
31st July 2008, 20:17
I ride on the road rain or shine, so i dont mind either way.
Rain just makes things interesting. It really balances everyone out.
The smooth riders tend to make up places easier in the rain.

Youd be surpreised what you can do on wets.

kickingzebra
31st July 2008, 20:24
Pussies have lowsides, and bigger pussies prefer to race in the dry, like, HTFU maaaan

wet all the way bee arches

Crasherfromwayback
31st July 2008, 20:31

I'd have to say that that is the first post you've written that I cannot agree with mate! They still go fast in the wet (if you're good in the wet).

I've always loved racing in the rain...and had great results doing it. Gone ok in the dry too. BUT...if like me you've never been that good with bike setup or qualifying...then the rain is a fantastic 'leveller'. You can race a guy or girl that's got a better setup than you...or a faster bike than you yet still give them a fucking hiding when it's wet if you're good enough.

I remember beating Bruce Ainstey at Manfeild in the rain on my 883 whilst using Dunlop K591's which were shit (he was using Metzelers...much better in the wet)...but he was afraid of the wet stuff.

Brett
31st July 2008, 21:31

Hahaha to take my own thread off topic...I would say most twats :buggerd:

Seriously though, Icertainly don't. Just thought of this as I saw a couple of serious looking sports bikes in the recent weather wth the riders wearing full leathers. Hence the random question. See what happens when you are sitting in a cage at a set of lights with nothing to do!

Brett
31st July 2008, 21:32
I beg to differ. I was draging my knee in the hair pin @ manfield a few weeks ago in the pissing rain so i wouldnt say you cant lean. I think it is f@#ken scary how fast you can go and how hard you can push(on wets that is) in the rain. Also its different and a challenge im going with I like it more than dry.

That was where I was going to lead this thread. It is amazing how much speed and lean can be carried...even in the wet.

wharfy
31st July 2008, 22:13
I have only done one "wet" meeting did slightly better than in the dry BUT it was not nearly as scary as ridding on the road in the wet. I actually had a bit of fun and it does seem to be a bit of a leveler. I want some proper WET tyre's though !!

roogazza
1st August 2008, 09:25
I had some mates that used to organise weekend rides in the rain. I say rides but they were really races !! Starting at Te Marua and finishing at Featherston. It must have helped some because the Hutt Valley grew some very successful road racers in the 70's. Gaz.

scrivy
1st August 2008, 09:43
I would prefer to race in the dry, but it beats my body to pieces. Racing in the wet makes it so much easier on the body - sure you are constantly opposite locking, sliding, locking up, drifting etc, but that to me is what racing is all about. With tyre technology today, you're barely 10% slower in the wet than the dry anyway.

The wet is a great leveller, as you have so many more chances to overtake when others are also slip sliding around.

Since I'm a lazy b@stard with my racing, I like to stay dry, but if its full on action you want, bring on the wet!! :first:

WarrenW
1st August 2008, 09:56
I love the wet. I am a smooth rider and tend to get a LOT of grip due to my immense size! So I tend to do rather well in the rain. :Playnice:

Rashika
1st August 2008, 10:33
I ride on the road rain or shine, so i dont mind either way.
Rain just makes things interesting. It really balances everyone out.
The smooth riders tend to make up places easier in the rain.

Youd be surpreised what you can do on wets.

actually I kinda agree with ya sparky.
My first wet race was at greymouth st race, and my first greymouth as well. And I didn't find it anywhere as scary as I anticipated and I did far better in the wet races, probably cos everyone else was chicken. ;)
Yeah so I race buckets and Post classic, not going that fast anyway, BUT I dont use wets on either - slicks on the bucket and road tyres on the PC.
Then the last BOB (during the worst southerly blast, rain with sleet and hail) I passed a whole lot of people I didn't think I would even remotely keep up with let alone pass, and found my speeds were slightly down but not as much as I thought they would be.

I get told I'm very smooth cornering so perhaps that helps. But as long as i can see (usually visor open helps), I quite enjoy the rain.

svr
1st August 2008, 12:38
I'd have to say that that is the first post you've written that I cannot agree with mate! They still go fast in the wet (if you're good in the wet).

I've always loved racing in the rain...and had great results doing it. Gone ok in the dry too. BUT...if like me you've never been that good with bike setup or qualifying...then the rain is a fantastic 'leveller'. You can race a guy or girl that's got a better setup than you...or a faster bike than you yet still give them a fucking hiding when it's wet if you're good enough.

I remember beating Bruce Ainstey at Manfeild in the rain on my 883 whilst using Dunlop K591's which were shit (he was using Metzelers...much better in the wet)...but he was afraid of the wet stuff.

Fair enough Pete - a wins a win! (esp against BA - I used to wait till he was upside down, then make my move, but then he stopped crashing...) And a bit of rain can mix it up. But the question was `do you prefer the rain'.
And I still think its a strange racer who does. Means you have to change tires too (sux).

Deano
1st August 2008, 12:42

You don't like to get 'it' wet bro ? WTF ??

And if you get better results in the wet cause your opposition are pussies in the wet, then that has to be a plus. It also produces a more level playing field if you are down on power as compared to your opposition.

driftn
1st August 2008, 13:44
Take nicksta for example. She was f@#ken flying at round 3 giving heaps of people a hiding. Was great to see.

I also went round the outside of Jay Lawernce in the last race of round 3
(he did lap me in race 1) To be honest if it were dry i would not have had a shit show of coming near him.
Oh yeah I made it stick and beat him too>:woohoo:

svr
1st August 2008, 14:14
My mate on wets beat Stroudy on slicks to win a race in the rain last summer. Normally he's in the back. He's puts the wets on whenever theres so much as a cloud around to give himself the chance of lucking out - so far its worked twice in 5 years of racing - thats 2 wins he wouldnt have otherwise got.
Good luck to him - he loves the rain obviously, but having done 12 laps of Levels in the hail on 003 yokohamas (with my visor up), I say the rain can go to hell.

Crasherfromwayback
1st August 2008, 14:35
Fair enough Pete - a wins a win! (esp against BA - I used to wait till he was upside down, then make my move, but then he stopped crashing...) And a bit of rain can mix it up. But the question was `do you prefer the rain'.
And I still think its a strange racer who does. Means you have to change tires too (sux).

Yeah I thought my answer was an answer. But just in case...I prefer it because of the levelling effect.

Shaun
1st August 2008, 16:01
I loved the WET- You really to get know your bike and self very well. I would practice front end slides, by shutting the throttle real quick, causing the front to wash out, tuck, and then gas it back up again, catching the front end for ya, and then causing the rear to slide, woo hoo Riding heaps in the WET fast, gave me 75% of the abbillity I HAD

but pure dry and sunny, is like sex:calm:

Tim 39
1st August 2008, 20:31
I seem to go far better in the wet, but I find it far less exciting

In the dry, it's hard work going fast and the bike really comes alive. It feels awesome at that point.

In the wet, its physicly quite easy and the bike gives me feedback telling me that it's bored, but because of the limited grip, I can't go much/any faster.

oh.. and in the wet everything, including all my gear gets all wet... It's just not the same!!

Ivan
1st August 2008, 20:36
Dry fer Sure

Kickaha
1st August 2008, 20:38
I would prefer to race in the dry, but it beats my body to pieces.

As opposed to you paying Hookers to do that for you?

Harden up you soft cunt

scrivy
2nd August 2008, 11:55
As opposed to you paying Hookers to do that for you?

Mate, I've never paid you anything................:shutup:

JayRacer37
2nd August 2008, 12:35
Take nicksta for example. She was f@#ken flying at round 3 giving heaps of people a hiding. Was great to see.

I also went round the outside of Jay Lawernce in the last race of round 3
(he did lap me in race 1) To be honest if it were dry i would not have had a shit show of coming near him.
Oh yeah I made it stick and beat him too>:woohoo:

Hahaahaahah love ya work Luke!

But next time ill bring TWO rear wets so when Poo's bike turns the first one into a slick I don't hve to do race two on an intermediate.... :)

Back to Brett's qustion. I don't have a preference weather wise, I feel like i'm going to be racing the same track that everybody else will be. Riding a bike is a challenge whatever the weather, differing weather conditions and being good in all of them just widens your potential and ablity. I think if you have a real preference for one condition or the other, you are opening a weakness, and putting a doubt into your own head. Head fucking yourself!! :lol:

be not afraid
2nd August 2008, 23:02
kiwis are softcocks now!!!!!
i had my VERY FIRST ride in tha rain on my first roadbike ive owned at round 3 actrix winter series a few weekends ago. been riding for 5 months now, won two races(one superbike and one supersport) and ran 1.14s and did a few 1.14flats in the last race. it was pretty wet and took it tentatively till i learnt how much traction there really is.
was alot of fun!

my point though, is that kiwis are top internationals in road racing, motorcross, trials, cross country, etc because we have to ride ALL weather conditions due to our crazy lower southern hemisphere weather patterns, and we are at the top because we are hardened tough kiwis!

it seems we are softening in road racing and motorcross especially(have noticed it alot in the up and coming generation of racers).
we grew up racing motorcross and sometimes riding round hilly tracks so wet and muddy you could water ski in it! at the end of the day its just rain and its the same for everyone in the race. and very rarely are moto gp and world superbike races cancelled due to rain etc.

So not aiming this at anyone(not even anyone in this topic!) or at any one motorsport, ..................HARDEN THE FUCK UP!! (QOUTE: CHOPPA REID-AUSTRALIA)

Her_C4
2nd August 2008, 23:17
........ and ran 1.14s

errrm I guessing not for this lap!!!

seens
2nd August 2008, 23:37
What wet weather is just another day just another ride but more fun an almost same speed sometimes faster depends who`s chasing :Police:

Kiwi Graham
3rd August 2008, 08:53
When I started out young, reckless and with bigger balls I did better in the wet. As I got older I learnt how to make the bike handle and could afford better bikes and prefered the dry. Now I just plod around on the road so dont have a choice.

Toast
3rd August 2008, 20:42
Dry or soaking, awesome fun!!

The inbetween stuff can be a bit annoying though. It gets too dry and you've got wets on and you've just fkd $$. Racing in slightly damp on slicks can become a bit unpredictable if it gets wet real quick!

be not afraid
3rd August 2008, 23:23
errrm I guessing not for this lap!!!

was waiting for that!

Nicksta
4th August 2008, 10:16
I love the wet.......
its a great equalizer.... i would say it separates the men from the boys... but it doesnt...

and as for SVR's comments... i was 1.3 seconds off my PB (in the dry) and scraping pegs round 3 corners last VMCC round... so no, wet is just as fast.. and way more fun!! the adrenalin is a total buzz when you hit the grid lines!

svr
4th August 2008, 12:25
I love the wet.......

and as for SVR's comments... i was 1.3 seconds off my PB (in the dry) and scraping pegs round 3 corners last VMCC round... so no, wet is just as fast.. and way more fun!! the adrenalin is a total buzz when you hit the grid lines!

I agree - if you're going to ride roughly the same lap times wet or dry, you'll have more excitement and get way better placings in the wet...

GSVR
4th August 2008, 13:13
i had my VERY FIRST ride in tha rain on my first roadbike ive owned at round 3 actrix winter series a few weekends ago. been riding for 5 months now, won two races(one superbike and one supersport) and ran 1.14s and did a few 1.14flats in the last race. it was pretty wet and took it tentatively till i learnt how much traction there really is.
was alot of fun!

my point though, is that kiwis are top internationals in road racing, motorcross, trials, cross country, etc because we have to ride ALL weather conditions due to our crazy lower southern hemisphere weather patterns, and we are at the top because we are hardened tough kiwis!

it seems we are softening in road racing and motorcross especially(have noticed it alot in the up and coming generation of racers).
we grew up racing motorcross and sometimes riding round hilly tracks so wet and muddy you could water ski in it! at the end of the day its just rain and its the same for everyone in the race. and very rarely are moto gp and world superbike races cancelled due to rain etc.

So not aiming this at anyone(not even anyone in this topic!) or at any one motorsport, ..................HARDEN THE FUCK UP!! (QOUTE: CHOPPA REID-AUSTRALIA)

Actually in the last race I didn't think you were going to stay upright with the moment out of the hairpin. Maybe you scared Nick Cole into submission.

Keep an eye on this guy he's an exciting racer.

CHET
4th August 2008, 13:47
Ive only raced in the wet once so this is just my humble opinion,the wet can be alot of fun but if youve got the wrong tyres it can be frustrateing, still a shit load of fun though. With the bike moveing all over the place, but i must admit to preferring the dry just because you know you have to be really pushing the bike and yourself to the limits to get its full potential and the results.

In conclusion the wet is fun. The dry is better BUT NO MATTER THE CONDITIONS ILL ALLWAYS GIVE IT MY BEST SHOT.:wari: