PDA

View Full Version : FAO Computer techies - Dual core problem

Morcs
1st August 2008, 09:14
I got my nice new Intel Core 2 2.53ghz Dual core processor last night.

My board says it supports it, and it’s the right socket (775)

My board is an Asus P5VDC-MX and it says:

LGA775 Intel® Core™2 Processor Ready
This motherboard supports the latest Intel® Core™2 processors in LGA775 package. With new Intel® Core™ microarchitecture technology and 1066 / 800 MHz FSB, Intel® Core™2 processor is one of the most powerful and energy efficient CPU in the world.
*Only PCB R2.0(or later version) supports Intel® Core™2 processor (mine is later than Version 2)

So I thought its pretty much sussed.

Upon booting I get the error:

"Intel CPU uCode Loading Error
Press F1 to Continue"

I press F1, windows loads fine. After a few mins in windows, the system basically stops responding. I can view around my files etc., but try and execute an application and nothing happens.

My system wouldnt work long enough for me to update the bios, so have downloaded the latest at work and going to load that tonight.

Also thinking of resetting the CMOS.

Any other ideas? A technical explanation would be great too 

-Pete

Cajun
1st August 2008, 09:15
latest bios?

imdying
1st August 2008, 09:46
There's a replacement BIOS that fixes it.

Gremlin
1st August 2008, 10:26
well, imdying says there is a bios that fixes it. You don't need to be in windows to update the bios (as the bios is obviously prior to the operating system), but you do need a working computer, that you can download the bios from. :yes:

Download bios, depending on the mobo, it may accept flash disks, floppys are often best (if the motherboard supports them), enter the bios, and you should be able to replace the bios, various bios's call the utility different names.

marioc
1st August 2008, 11:14
Yep need to flash bios

imdying
1st August 2008, 11:51
Also make sure you've reset the CMOS correctly, as even after the new BIOS it'll give the same error if you do it incorrectly.

I've had boards (ok, extremely abused ones) that only considered a reset to be nothing less than:
- set jumper
- remove battery
- come back tomorrow

Bastard computers. In theory it's an instant things... piss a board off enough and...

RantyDave
1st August 2008, 11:56
A technical explanation would be great too
Modern processors are actually "meta" processors that have software that runs on *them* telling them, broadly, how to go about using a gigantic pipeline of transistors to translate x86 instructions into something useful. This software is called microcode and, like all software, it ships with bugs. Chip manufacturers provide a way of patching this software called a microcode update - it's just a slab of numbers that gets passed up to the processor by the BIOS as the machine boots.

Except yours doesn't. Hence "uCode Loading Error" where the "u" is really "mju", if you see what I mean. Anyway - hence the BIOS update. The updated BIOS will have the appropriate chunk of microcode to patch your processor and actually make it work properly.

BTW, Here (http://download.intel.com/design/mobile/SPECUPDT/31407918.pdf) is the list of known bugs on Core 2. Shocker, eh?

Dave

Morcs
1st August 2008, 12:04
Cheers guys,

I have a BIOS flashing utility that Ill be able to use through my OS.
Damned modern machines not having a floppy drive...

Then Ill do a reboot.
Then a shutdown.
Followed by Reseting the CMOS.

Unless it will work by flashing the bios, shutting down, resetting the cmos and firing back up. though things rarely work like that.

xwhatsit
1st August 2008, 12:33
I don't know too much about this newfangled x86 CISC -> internal RISC conversion carry-on, but I do have a question for the Pom;

What's FAO mean anyway? It keeps popping up on UK forums and confusing me.

Forest
1st August 2008, 13:43
Modern processors are actually "meta" processors that have software that runs on *them* telling them, broadly, how to go about using a gigantic pipeline of transistors to translate x86 instructions into something useful. This software is called microcode and, like all software, it ships with bugs. Chip manufacturers provide a way of patching this software called a microcode update - it's just a slab of numbers that gets passed up to the processor by the BIOS as the machine boots.

Except yours doesn't. Hence "uCode Loading Error" where the "u" is really "mju", if you see what I mean. Anyway - hence the BIOS update. The updated BIOS will have the appropriate chunk of microcode to patch your processor and actually make it work properly.

BTW, Here (http://download.intel.com/design/mobile/SPECUPDT/31407918.pdf) is the list of known bugs on Core 2. Shocker, eh?

Dave

Yes. That's exactly right. The microcode contains patches for chip level errata, but it also defines the capabilities and functional units on the processor.

The problem for motherboard manufacturers is that Intel releases new CPUs after the motherboards go on sale. So unless you update the BIOS, your motherboard doesn't know how to properly communicate with the newest models of processor (because it is missing the latest microcode sets).

Update the motherboard firmware and you'll be sorted.

Forest
1st August 2008, 13:44
Cheers guys,

Then Ill do a reboot.
Then a shutdown.
Followed by Reseting the CMOS.

Unless it will work by flashing the bios, shutting down, resetting the cmos and firing back up. though things rarely work like that.

Modern machines don't require a floppy drive to load BIOS updates.

Consult your motherboard manual for more details.

Morcs
1st August 2008, 14:02
I don't know too much about this newfangled x86 CISC -> internal RISC conversion carry-on, but I do have a question for the Pom;

What's FAO mean anyway? It keeps popping up on UK forums and confusing me.

For Attention of

:)

Yeah I spent about 2 years on uk forums always wondering what it meant..

scracha
1st August 2008, 16:44
For Attention of

:)

Yeah I spent about 2 years on uk forums always wondering what it meant..

Bios upgrade mate. Had same error on exactly the same board on one of the rare occasions I was stupid enough to build a machine from scratch.

If you're going to all that hassle then why'd ya not get a core2duo though ya tightarse?

Gremlin
1st August 2008, 18:21
You don't NEED the OS utility, thats just for the average person, to make it real simple.

Depending on what motherboard you have, it may accept flash disks, and be aware (again, depending on what motherboard you have) it may have multiple bios, so you need to make sure the correct one is flashed. Flashing the backup will make sweet f all difference to a normal boot :rolleyes:

Morcs
2nd August 2008, 22:19
Bios Flashed. Vista business installed.

All problems gone except Mobo wont power off once windows has successfully shutdown.

Any ideas?

xwhatsit
2nd August 2008, 23:49
Mobo wont power off
As root;
# shutdown -h now

Zapf
3rd August 2008, 02:14
check motherboard BIOS settings. ACPI etc.... may require OS reinstall to detect... not sure.

Morcs
3rd August 2008, 10:39
As root;
# shutdown -h now

Que?

English please.

Morcs
7th August 2008, 10:10
Bump. come on. my system still wont shutdown...

I cant find any problems. a new OS didnt solve it.

Changed a few bios settings to no effect...

The Stranger
7th August 2008, 10:30
I press F1, windows loads fine. After a few mins in windows, the system basically stops responding.

Perfectly normal Windoze behaviour isn't it?

yod
7th August 2008, 10:39
Win 3.1 FTW

xwhatsit
7th August 2008, 12:41
Win 3.1 FTW
Win3.1=fail.

Win3.11 Windows for Workgroups FTW :2thumbsup

@Morcs; what actually happens? You click shutdown, it closes the desktop environment, goes through that dark blue `Now shutting down Windows' thing, then where does it stop? Anything on the screen?

If it's the actual motherboad which is not switching off once the system halts, I would guess (at least from trying to fix dodgy *NIX systems like this) that it would be something to do with ACPI. Does it suspend/standby do all those things normally?

Morcs
7th August 2008, 12:53
Win3.1=fail.

Win3.11 Windows for Workgroups FTW :2thumbsup

@Morcs; what actually happens? You click shutdown, it closes the desktop environment, goes through that dark blue `Now shutting down Windows' thing, then where does it stop? Anything on the screen?

If it's the actual motherboad which is not switching off once the system halts, I would guess (at least from trying to fix dodgy *NIX systems like this) that it would be something to do with ACPI. Does it suspend/standby do all those things normally?

Yes, windows shuts down. VGA signal then stops, HD shuts off, but the board is still whirring (fans etc)

avgas
7th August 2008, 12:53
Win3.11 Windows for Workgroups = fail

DOS Menu FTW lol
pity i haven't been able to run in since 1996 - i miss my 4 color grafix

avgas
7th August 2008, 12:55
Yes, windows shuts down. VGA signal then stops, HD shuts off, but the board is still whirring (fans etc)
Err - are you fans supply controlled by MB?
cos if your like me and have a nice rangi setup then the 5V, and some 12V supplies are isolated from the MB controlled supplies

plug in something in USB when PC turned off - does it turn on?

Morcs
7th August 2008, 12:55
Perfectly normal Windoze behaviour isn't it?

Thats a point. Ive still got your disk. Ive been crook all week, so can drop it off on my way home, or give it to you at the atnr? up to you.

Morcs
7th August 2008, 12:57
Err - are you fans supply controlled by MB?
cos if your like me and have a nice rangi setup then the 5V, and some 12V supplies are isolated from the MB controlled supplies

plug in something in USB when PC turned off - does it turn on?

mm will give it a go.
But all power goes off when I hit the power off button though...