PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean your visor?

Krayy
14th January 2005, 08:21
What sort of cleaning method works best on visors? Is there a reccommended product out there thats better than the rest, or do you use household cleaners? And can you polish out scratches or do you just buy a new visor every 6 months or so?

jrandom
14th January 2005, 08:23
Hot soapy water works a treat for bugsplats and general grime.

I'm sure there's something that polishes scratches out, too. Mine's all scratched up, I'll be watching this thread closely, I meant to post the same question.

Of course if you have an iridium visor, you can't polish scratches out, because that takes the coating off.

James Deuce
14th January 2005, 08:31
See the search function up there?

USE IT.

N00b

James Deuce
14th January 2005, 08:32
I'm sure there's something that polishes scratches out, too. Mine's all scratched up, I'll be watching this thread closely, I meant to post the same question.

Car wax and elbow grease.

(Search function. Why bother. Take the bloody thing off...mutter, grumble)

dangerous
14th January 2005, 08:33
Warm soapy water works a treat for bugsplats and general grime.
Yip and then hit it with the Pledge, makes for easier cleaning.

James Deuce
14th January 2005, 08:36
Yip and then hit it with the Pledge, makes for easier cleaning.
Stop giving it away for free!! Make them LOOK IT UP!

Damn friendly mainlanders. DAMN THEM TO HELL-----> :devil2:

vifferman
14th January 2005, 08:37
I exclusively use Plexus on all my visors, and a soft cloth. If you NEVER use paper towels or anything harsh like that to clean your visors, they'll last a lot longer.

Once Plexused, I wash them in warm water with a bit of dish-washing liquid, or at work use my screen cleaning spray stuff.

vifferman
14th January 2005, 08:37
Stop giving it away for free!! Make them LOOK IT UP!

Damn friendly mainlanders. DAMN THEM TO HELL-----> :devil2:
You REALLY need to do summat about those bike-withdrawl symptoms, Jim. :yes:

James Deuce
14th January 2005, 08:41
I exclusively use Plexus on all my visors, and a soft cloth. If you NEVER use paper towels or anything harsh like that to clean your visors, they'll last a lot longer.

Johnson's nappy liners work really well.

James Deuce
14th January 2005, 08:53
Whitening toothpaste is also a great grinding paste for alloys and hard plastics.

scumdog
14th January 2005, 09:01
Oi, wot about this search function Jim2 eh?? eh? Lead by example man :)

Oh, and what's the best way of getting blow-fly bits off'n your sunnies without scratching the lenses?

James Deuce
14th January 2005, 09:08
Oi, wot about this search function Jim2 eh?? eh? Lead by example man :)

Oh, and what's the best way of getting blow-fly bits off'n your sunnies without scratching the lenses?
Leave a damp cloth on the sunnies for 30 mins and then it will just wipe off.

James Deuce
14th January 2005, 09:09
Hot soapy water works a treat for bugsplats and general grime.

Be careful with hot water, as it can soften paint and plastics, compounding you problem.

**R1**
14th January 2005, 09:19
yeah i use pledge, and nappy wipes(joys of children)to clean it and i have cut up some cloth nappys to wide it clean, then i use a drop of dishwash on the inside to stop it fogging up. As for scratches.....get a new one, i have and arai and the visors aint cheep but its better than being blind...

What?
14th January 2005, 09:22
Be careful with hot water, as it can soften paint and plastics, compounding you problem.
Egg zactly. Hot water will destroy the hardening (annealing) on the visor surface, making it easier to scratch.
Use luke-warm water, allowing time to soak if really dirty, and a soft cloth to GENTLY remove the crap.
Plexus is great stuff, too, though I tend to wash the visor first if its covered in bugs.

Hitcher
14th January 2005, 09:37
What Jim2 said.

If you're really worried about residual bumf on your sunnies or visor (like paint splats), rock along to your local optometrist and get them to stick them in their ultrasound machine. Fantastic!

Ms Piggy
14th January 2005, 09:51
What sort of cleaning method works best on visors? Is there a reccommended product out there thats better than the rest, or do you use household cleaners? And can you polish out scratches or do you just buy a new visor every 6 months or so?
I use Pledge. :2thumbsup

Hitcher
14th January 2005, 10:03
I use Pledge.
What CSL said. Top product. I'm currently into the orange-scented one...

Motu
14th January 2005, 10:29
Every service station has a bucket and sponge/squeegey - I just stand there and wash then squeege (close visor first)

sels1
14th January 2005, 10:40
I use Pledge. :2thumbsup

Yup, me too, at home. At work I use the CRC Glass Cleaner - it even says "for motorbikes" on the back!

crashe
14th January 2005, 10:41
Car window washers... on street corners....

Well I sit and wait and they walk on by and never offer to wash my visor... :brick:

oh hang on one did once...lol.... all the rest dont even think that we may need them visors cleaning...

When I remember to do it lol....I wash it in warm water to get rid of the bugs.... but I have still got scratches on the visor... if its really dirty and I can hardly see out when I'm on a trip I will use the water in the garage... :spudbooge

Motu
14th January 2005, 11:03
What Jim2 said.

If you're really worried about residual bumf on your sunnies or visor (like paint splats), rock along to your local optometrist and get them to stick them in their ultrasound machine. Fantastic!

Hey!,a use for my off car fuel injector cleaner,it gets used every couple of years,what a waste of money - not anymore...come on down and get your sunnys cleaned while you wait...disersification.

TonyB
14th January 2005, 11:44
What do people do to clean off the bugs when they're miles from anywhere? Someone must have a cunning way of doing it.
I once rode through sandfly convention or rock concert or something- in the space of 50 metres the visor went from clean to so covered in bug bits that I couldn't see. Had to ride the remaining 20k with it open.

**R1**
14th January 2005, 11:45
What do people do to clean off the bugs when they're miles from anywhere? Someone must have a cunning way of doing it.
I once rode through sandfly convention or rock concert or something- in the space of 50 metres the visor went from clean to so covered in bug bits that I couldn't see. Had to ride the remaining 20k with it open.
My pledge and rag come along for the ride under the back seat :2thumbsup

dangerous
14th January 2005, 11:51
Wee Willy, thats what ya want then. It comes in its own small pouch with a soft cloth, cleaning fluid and attached the the lid is a rubber blade for the crunchy en trails. Check it out in the MM cataloge.

Biff
14th January 2005, 12:02
I've only ever used water and kitchen roll (handies or whatever you guys call them). Place a piece of roll unde the tap until it's dreanched, then place it flat on the visor, or even other parts of your lid. Wait twenty minutes or less then wipe off. No scratches in over 4 years on one of my visors, brilliant, yet simple and cheap.

I always keep some spare kitchen roll under my seat and I usualy carry some water. Voila - a transportable visor cleaning type kit. But I own the patent. Anybody that tries this - $5 to the usual address please.

Roadrash
14th January 2005, 15:57
i put mine in the dishwasher, does just fine !
:Punk:

James Deuce
14th January 2005, 16:20
Wee Willy, thats what ya want then. It comes in its own small pouch with a soft cloth, cleaning fluid and attached the the lid is a rubber blade for the crunchy en trails. Check it out in the MM cataloge.
I carry one of those with me everywhere on a bike. The real wee willys aren't available anymore, but Oxford make a repalcement called: wee Willy!

inlinefour
14th January 2005, 16:28

When the visor becomes a bit grubby I clean it asap to avoid things drying and sticking. Also is good for the inside of the windscreen of my Hilux :bleh:

Blakamin
14th January 2005, 16:29
I've only ever used water and kitchen roll (handies or whatever you guys call them). Place a piece of roll unde the tap until it's dreanched, then place it flat on the visor, or even other parts of your lid. Wait twenty minutes or less then wipe off. No scratches in over 4 years on one of my visors, brilliant, yet simple and cheap.

thats all I do...and if it IS scratched, car polish.....

James Deuce
14th January 2005, 16:36

I always keep some spare kitchen roll under my seat and I usualy carry some water. Voila - a transportable visor cleaning type kit. But I own the patent. Anybody that tries this - $5 to the usual address please.
Make sure the handies are the expensive multi-ply ones. The cheap ones are fibrous enough to damage your visor with repeated use.