PDA

View Full Version : Metal gear disc problem

CB ARGH
3rd August 2008, 17:33
Hey guys,

I've just went out and spent a very hard earnt $660 on some new discs for my MC22. Now, when I cleaned them with brake cleaner I discovered that they move heaps, this does not look good.

Since my bike takes two discs on the front, I obviously ordered two. Both discs do the same thing. They move where there is the bolt/washer/whatever thing that connects the two parts (black and silver parts on the picture) together, they move about 1-2mm, that is a lot.

They are also very flimsy if I try to move them side to side from each other...

The old discs do not do this.

Is this normal? I have no idea to be honest.

Please help!

Sparky Bills
3rd August 2008, 17:37
Perfectly normal mate.
They are floating discs. When the disc heats up, they expand and stop moving.

Dont worry about it one bit.

You should have seen the discs on the 748r I used to race! They literally rattled as I pushed the bike around. But SHIT did it brake hard!

BASS-TREBLE
3rd August 2008, 17:39
Isn't that what floating discs are supposed to do? Float.

Sparky Bills
3rd August 2008, 17:43
Isn't that what floating discs are supposed to do? Float.

Yip.
As I said. Perfectly normal :headbang:

BASS-TREBLE
3rd August 2008, 17:46
I replied while you were, just took me a while to click the 'post' button

The Stranger
3rd August 2008, 17:47
Hey guys,

I've just went out and spent a very hard earnt $660 on some new discs for my MC22. Now, when I cleaned them with brake cleaner I discovered that they move heaps, this does not look good.

Since my bike takes two discs on the front, I obviously ordered two. Both discs do the same thing. They move where there is the bolt/washer/whatever thing that connects the two parts (black and silver parts on the picture) together, they move about 1-2mm, that is a lot.

They are also very flimsy if I try to move them side to side from each other...

The old discs do not do this.

Is this normal? I have no idea to be honest.

Please help!

I don't know.
But I was advised by the guy that recos discs in Waihi (freddys discs) that they should NOT move in the direction you indicate.
I have not seen any (new or near new) OEM discs that have movement in that direction.
The only ones I have seen that do have movement in that direction have all been fucked anyway.

Sparky Bills
3rd August 2008, 17:49
I don't know.
But I was advised by the guy that recos discs in Waihi (freddys discs) that they should NOT move in the direction you indicate.
I have not seen any (new or near new) OEM discs that have movement in that direction.
The only ones I have seen that do have movement in that direction have all been fucked anyway.

See above....:2guns:

mark247
20th September 2008, 19:48
Yea they should be able to move a bit, but by the sounds of it they are moving far to far

boomer
20th September 2008, 19:55
my brembos shake like my nans teeth...!!

they're floating discs.. and are meant to float :-)

dipshit
20th September 2008, 20:06
Discs intended for track use will float a lot more than discs intended for street use.

hayd3n
20th September 2008, 21:11
mine do the same and always work when i need em which is getting less and less