PDA

View Full Version : And then there were three...

midnight_lykos
4th August 2008, 16:59
Hey guys,

I'm a chick living in Auckland, got my licence a few weeks ago and my first bike about three or four weeks after that. I'm the third in my family to take up the hobby and probably one of the few girls at my school who wolf whistles after guys on two wheels instead of four.

I'd love to hear from anyone with tips and advice to offer. I'm riding a Suzuki TU250 and it's turning out to be a pretty good starting bike.

Cheers,

Louise

Gremlin
4th August 2008, 17:06
probably one of the few girls at my school who wolf whistles after guys on two wheels instead of four.
Thats a fantastic change! :wari:

As for advice, probably best to have a browse through the 250 club and new member speak, as I am reasonably sure you're not the first person to start riding... :shifty: Lots of good advice has been given, and probably best to dig it up, as its hard to remember what has been advised previously...

Number one rule however... cars are out to kill you... think otherwise, and one will probably take you out. Never trust them :yes:

Swoop
4th August 2008, 17:20
probably one of the few girls at my school who wolf whistles after guys on two wheels instead of four.

I'd love to hear from anyone with tips and advice to offer.
Well... where to begin with this?

Welcome to the lunatic assylum of KB.

:ride:

(P.S. We all know that guys with 4 wheels are trying to over-compensate for the lack of something...)

yod
4th August 2008, 17:23
pay attention to the good advice and ignore the rest

simple, really

Badjelly
4th August 2008, 17:35
I'm riding a Suzuki TU250 and it's turning out to be a pretty good starting bike.

That's one I hadn't heard of. Apparently, it's a variant of the GN250, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GN_Series

And "considered by some to be the world's ugliest bike":

http://www.usedbikeguide.com/bible/display.asp?id=319

That sounds a bit harsh :msn-wink:! Does it look like this one?

klingon
4th August 2008, 17:48
Hey guys,

I'm a chick living in Auckland, got my licence a few weeks ago and my first bike about three or four weeks after that. I'm the third in my family to take up the hobby and probably one of the few girls at my school who wolf whistles after guys on two wheels instead of four.

I'd love to hear from anyone with tips and advice to offer. I'm riding a Suzuki TU250 and it's turning out to be a pretty good starting bike.

Cheers,

Louise

YAY! Welcome to the Volty club! :woohoo:

That's one I hadn't heard of. Apparently, it's a variant of the GN250, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GN_Series

And "considered by some to be the world's ugliest bike":

http://www.usedbikeguide.com/bible/display.asp?id=319

That sounds a bit harsh :msn-wink:! Does it look like this one?

The Volty is simply the most gorgeous bike in the world and anyone who denies that has no taste!

Well ok maybe it's not the most beautiful... but for something related to a GN250 it has a lot more style. :D Sometimes people mistake it for some kind of Norton or classic British bike. Mine is all black and I love the way it looks.

I also love that it has the reliability of a GN, and parts are easily available. It's also economical to run which makes it the perfect commuter bike. Great choice for a first bike.

MidnightMike
4th August 2008, 17:57
Hey guys...

Cheers,

Louise

YAY! Welcome to the Volty club! :woohoo:

The Volty is simply the most gorgeous bike in the world and anyone who denies that has no taste!

Haha, any sign of a Volty and klingon will be there.:lol:

I have to admit, I had one too....:cool:

klingon
4th August 2008, 20:59
Haha, any sign of a Volty and klingon will be there.:lol:

I have to admit, I had one too....:cool:

I can smell a Volty from a mile away... sometimes other Volty owners accuse me of stalking them... but actually I'm stalking their bike! :clap:

Mike, there's something not quite right about a black Volty with a tan seat. I've seen silver & tan, black & black, but never black & tan.

You were selling yours about the time I was buying mine. Wherever did it end up? And is it just a coincidence that the new member's name is also midnight?

*changes name to midnight_klingon* :killingme

Griffin
4th August 2008, 23:38
Spooky - same start out bike, same taste in names... where will it end? Welcome to KB (from a non volty / non midnight member) :bleh:

howdamnhard
5th August 2008, 00:20
Hey guys,

Cheers,

Louise

Hi welcome to KB always good to have another biker onboard.Check out the forums on survival skills,club 250 and wannabe and newbie bikers.Use the search for anything specific,if you can't find it just ask.Going to the Wednesday night NASS(in events on home page) or every second Monday night rider training is also very worthwhile.Once you have a little more experience,Ride right,ride safe is very worthwhile.
As for tips,ride like your invisible because car drivers often don't register anything smaller than another car,presume their all idiots.
Goodluck and enjoy:scooter:

Patch
5th August 2008, 04:42
Well... where to begin with this?

Welcome to the lunatic assylum of KB.

:ride:

(P.S. We all know that guys with 4 wheels are trying to over-compensate for the lack of something...)
wot he said.

We ain't kidding, lots of nuts in here. Watch out for the ones in white coats

Drum
5th August 2008, 05:42
Go the Volty! Don't listen to the poseurs who say you should start riding on some plastic sports machine.

Welcome to the site.

Bass
5th August 2008, 15:19
Dick Hubbard, the ex-mayor of Auckland, learned to ride on a Volty and one of his sons completed the Rusty Nuts Grand Challenge on it.

(Some people have no shame)

NOMIS
5th August 2008, 15:36
Hey guys,

Cheers,

Louise

Good to see young chicks into guys on bikes not many around these days

Str8 Jacket
5th August 2008, 18:05
Watch out for the ones in white coats

And straight jackets! :yes:

portokiwi
5th August 2008, 18:16
:niceone: Way to go, Nice bike. Just enjoy yourself on here. There is plenty of good advice here...... Just wish I could listin.

MidnightMike
5th August 2008, 18:19
I can smell a Volty from a mile away... sometimes other Volty owners accuse me of stalking them... but actually I'm stalking their bike! :clap:

Mike, there's something not quite right about a black Volty with a tan seat. I've seen silver & tan, black & black, but never black & tan.

You were selling yours about the time I was buying mine. Wherever did it end up? And is it just a coincidence that the new member's name is also midnight?

*changes name to midnight_klingon* :killingme

You think theirs something not quite right about the black and tan? You forgot about the black studded saddle bags that came with it!!!! :rofl:

Bit of a coincidence bout the names I guess, hey lycos your volty isnt black with a tan seat is it???

:edit: just checked out your profile... wine red

Rashika
6th August 2008, 08:18
Hey Midnight lykos, welcome to the nutty kb house!
Speaking as no1 of 3 sisters who ride/have riden, I guess I know where you are coming from chick! :yes:
My youngest sis decided a few months ago to get her partners old RGV150 out from under its cobwebs and commute on it again, after having a 10 year break from riding. And i ride a 1200 buell and race a couple of others. The middle sis has semi retired at present, but my dad still has his trusty 600 going strong... its a real family affair! What do your others siblings ride?

Thats quite a cool ride you have there, she will serve you well I reckon. :scooter:

vifferman
6th August 2008, 08:21
Welcome, Chick! :wavey:
Ah.... the mighty TU250 Voltyhorse. Rode one of them once. Was an interesting experience.

midnight_lykos
6th August 2008, 11:45
I wish it looked like that! Nah, it's red. Not really my colour, but beggars can't be choosers.

klingon
6th August 2008, 16:49
Nothing wrong with a red Voltinator. Rarer than either the silver or the black. Must remember to post up a pic of mine when I get home (yes, I'm meant to be working :blink:)

sinned
13th August 2008, 19:49
Is that a recent pic of the bike? Reason asking is it looks in new condition for a 97 model. Nice bike in a different sort of way.

Trudes
13th August 2008, 19:57
Hiya, welcome to KB!:banana: