PDA

View Full Version : Silverdog - A new bucket is born

Kendog
4th August 2008, 21:21
So after tasting what buckets were like on the MB100, I decided if I was going to enjoy this hobby I needed a reliable bike.

Those that know me know I am not a mechanical type, preferring to get things serviced or repaired by others. I am also lazy so the thought of building a decent bucket did not really appeal to me.

So the plan was to let someone else do the hard work and buy a ready done bucket. I had my eye on a couple on Trade Me, but they had older engines that may need work to keep them going. So a new plan was formulated to get a Loncin engine and 'simply' put it into a frame and get riding.

The frame was found on Trade Me, being a RG250 that Bren chch was selling. I picked it up while at the BOB and started what I thought was going to be the quick install job :pinch:

Skunk and I then spent (insert a large number I do not wish to think about) hours getting the bike to a bucket ready state. How wrong could I be thinking this was a quick job. Each time we looked at the bike the list of things to do seemed to grow, eventually I had to start rating 'must do' and 'can do later' in an effort to make sure it was ready for the next bucket round.
The moving of the bucket date out one week was a blessing. The weekend we were scheduled to race we couldn't even get a spark. My energy levels and motivation was at an all time low and I was starting to doubt it would ever be finished, the list to complete was still pretty long. But then the bucket gods smiled a little, the spark arrived and a new level of energy spurred us on. A couple of days later we kicked the engine over for the first time, on the day before the race we finished fitting the exhaust and I got the bike moving in first gear :woohoo:

On the race morning I had one job left fitting spacers for the rear shock, then it was load it into the van and off to the track.

A wet start to the racing did not help my nerves. I was a little paranoid about the 18/16 wheel combination, not sure what the bike would do, plus I had become a little attached to the bike having spent so many hours on it.

To say I slowly rode around the track would be an understatement :lol:
As the track dried I got a little quicker, but was having real problems turning my head into the corners (this will be my focus next time).
The bike was great, a couple of bolts came loose but other than that it was all good. I pretty much rode the entire day in 2nd and 3rd gear (wanting to gently run the engine in), but I can sense there is some power there.

So I am really happy with the Silverdog (figured I better name it soon before Silver Slider stuck). The ride position feels good, I like the four stroke feeling over the two stroke and it has fully working brakes.

A big thanks to the following people that made the Silverdog a reality:
Trudes: For working on the tank, and letting me go off bucket building day after day, night after night.
Skunk: The only reason this bikes runs is due to your tireless help and support. You are the true essence of NWM.
Skunk Control: For letting me take so much of Skunks time over the last few weeks.
nudemetalz: Thanks for helping with the wiring and general assistance. It was great having someone with the same engine to check things with.

Bring on the next round.

Before and after the build.

Skunk
4th August 2008, 21:33
Silverdog? WTF? You can call it either Silver Slug or Silver Slider :lol:

Good write up. I was just pleased it didn't fall apart with all those temporary bits.

Oh. And the front wheel should be white. Don't make me fix it for you - I can be a bit rough with my painting.

Trudes
4th August 2008, 21:43
blah blah blah...
Trudes: For working on the tank, and letting me go off bucket building day after day, night after night.
and others and blah blah blah

I didn't LET you do anything, I encouraged it so I didn't end up having to repair some old pile of poo for you to ride once a month!!!:bleh:
But seriously, you and Skunk have done a great job on the "Silverdog", I'm so proud of you and your perseverance to stick with it and get it finished in a relatively short time period. Now I think you understand why I'm so fond of Pamela (aside from her being incredibly sexy), you develop quite an attachment to them when you've spent so much time lovingly pulling them to pieces, cleaning them, bashing them about and then putting them back together again (a bit like raising a kid I guess:msn-wink:).
I hope he/she/it brings you many trouble free bucketing days and adventures. I enjoyed my short ride on it, so if I ever need a spare bucket.... and just remember if you start to beat me I know where you live!!!:spanking:

Trudes
4th August 2008, 21:44

Good write up. I was just pleased it didn't fall apart with all those temporary bits.

Oh. And the front wheel should be white. Don't make me fix it for you - I can be a bit rough with my painting.

Black Mr, Black. I have the paint here and will paint it myself if I have to!!! Don't make me have to do it!!

Her_C4
4th August 2008, 21:47
Excellent write up - good stuff, this bucket thingy whatsit looks preety interesting :woohoo::scooter:

Skunk
4th August 2008, 21:54
Black Mr, Black. I have the paint here and will paint it myself if I have to!!! Don't make me have to do it!!
White. :nono:

Trudes
4th August 2008, 21:56
White. :nono:

I know where you live too! You should be afraid, very afraid!:girlfight:

limbimtimwim
4th August 2008, 22:00
COOL!!

I am jealous!

nudemetalz
4th August 2008, 22:39
You're welcome, Nigel. Glad I can be of help.

HOWEVER,...before long, you will want more hp. The Loncin motors are good how they are to begin with, but I needed more hp last Sunday, that was blatantly obvious.
The FXR, LeadSled, Skunk's AX-1 etc etc all left me behind on the straights and some severe overrevving was unleashed on the poor motor at times.
So,..I'm about to embark on some tuning.

Number One
4th August 2008, 22:56
Those that know me know I am not a mechanical type, preferring to get things serviced or repaired by others. I am also lazy so the thought of building a decent bucket did not really appeal to me.

Skunk: The only reason this bikes runs is due to your tireless help and support. You are the true essence of NWM.
Skunk Control: For letting me take so much of Skunks time over the last few weeks.
nudemetalz: Thanks for helping with the wiring and general assistance. It was great having someone with the same engine to check things with.

Bring on the next round.

Well done dude. It was so cool to see you out there going round and round...especially after you had such a pisser with that first bike...it was too ugly anyway! :lol:

Once again Skunk your generosity in helping out your fellow Norf Wellyites is above and beyond. :niceone: As for the name...I like your thinking...SS is very good initials :rolleyes:

...you develop quite an attachment to them when you've spent so much time lovingly pulling them to pieces, cleaning them, bashing them about and then putting them back together again (a bit like raising a kid I guess:msn-wink:).

More than you know :lol: Oh and hey if you ever get tired of just having a husband I'll be your wife too :hug:

You're welcome, Nigel. Glad I can be of help.

HOWEVER,...before long, you will want more hp. The Loncin motors are good how they are to begin with, but I needed more hp last Sunday, that was blatantly obvious.
The FXR, LeadSled, Skunk's AX-1 etc etc all left me behind on the straights and some severe overrevving was unleashed on the poor motor at times.
So,..I'm about to embark on some tuning.

Didn't Sully go round the inside outside Usa on the Fiddy too?! :shutup: :lol: Just rub rub rubbing it in some more there :bleh: Good on you for helping out! With any luck each new Loncin motor will go into random bike frames faster and faster each time.

Norf Welly Massif rocks!

nudemetalz
4th August 2008, 23:01
Didn't Sully go round the inside outside on the RG50 too?! :shutup: :lol: Just rub rub rubbing it in some more there :bleh: Good on you for helping out! With any luck each new Loncin motor will go into random bike frames faster and faster each time.

That's 'cause I didn't mention that I need a front end that doesn't go twisty on me and some tyres that want to stick....plus a rider that can ride faster.....sheeez...

Sorry Kendog, this is your thread.
It was really good to see you out there on it and it's great that you had very little trouble with it considering the last minute building you had done.

Number One
4th August 2008, 23:08
http://www.styles-silver.co.uk/acatalog/info_4975.html

http://ryanstreasuresandmore.com/shop/images/Chamilia%20Sterling%20Silver%20Dog.jpg

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/36/54/3f1fc060ada0485514129110._AA240_.L.jpg

Kendog
5th August 2008, 06:41
http://www.styles-silver.co.uk/acatalog/info_4975.html

http://ryanstreasuresandmore.com/shop/images/Chamilia%20Sterling%20Silver%20Dog.jpg

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/36/54/3f1fc060ada0485514129110._AA240_.L.jpg

That first pic could be a worthy addition to my tank.

Nasty
5th August 2008, 07:43
Well done Kendog ... its looking great ... can't wait to see it out there in a couple of weeks!!

Buckets4Me
5th August 2008, 07:58
Great work there :wari:

you now know that you will never be finished with the bike now

you will always be doing something to it from now on :shutup:

fixing or making it faster :confused:

I know you are already trying to find some 17' wheels and slicks :rockon:

then it will be more horse's

:first:

Sketchy_Racer
5th August 2008, 07:59
Well done Nigel, the sliversausage looks really good out there. Can't wait to see you give it some stick after it's run in :P

Sully60
5th August 2008, 08:17
Well done Nigel, the sliversausage looks really good out there. Can't wait to see you give it some stick after it's run in :P

I've ridden it, um, it's run in:whistle:

Well done Kendog, the bike looks and goes really good, well I assume it goes good with petrol in it:doh:

I must say I wasn't that keen to ride it as I had just rattled my cage big time and only really felt like a lie down and a cup of tea and I wanted my mummy:baby:

I was quite impressed with the handling 'out of the box' and I could tell there's potential for some good development there. Don't worry too much about my previous insistence on 17" wheels, make the thing misbehave before you change anything (just like marriage, eh;))

Oh. And the front wheel should be white.

Black Mr, Black.

I'm with her on this one, Baalaaaaaaaccccchhhhh!

But you were rather insistent on me riding the Sliverdog, I'm coming to see know that you may have been punishing me in my battered state by sending my out broken on a bike with no petrol:shifty:

I've got my eye on you!

Again well done Nigel and Andrew, the birth of a new bucket is always something to behold, so who cut the cord?

Rashika
5th August 2008, 08:29
Go the kendog!!
Woohoo it looks pretty hot... well done :clap:

Buckets4Me
5th August 2008, 08:33

ta da :bash: :scooter::scooter::scooter:

SHELRACING
5th August 2008, 10:37
Nice job, exhaust mounting looks great. :clap:

I run a FXR based Loncin in Auckland, I have a few 'B' grade wins on it. they have potential. Remember to change the oil regularly and it'll take a good trashing. Mine hasn't given me any trouble.

Tip - before trying to get more HP which you will definately want to do, get your streering, suspension and tyre setup right first. 17 inch wheels and some slicks would definately be the way to go.

Atmonauti
5th August 2008, 11:30
Very clean looking bike. Again I say. Nice job!!!

I really have to get my own one of these one days.

when I get tools and a way to get it to the track I think its gonna have to happen :)

koba
5th August 2008, 12:53
It is just soooo Purdy!

I'm jealous.

Str8 Jacket
5th August 2008, 18:10
Fark yeah, its awesome mate! Sounds good too! :D

F5 Dave
6th August 2008, 18:00
No pics from the rear. Good thing 'cause it looks unfinished, rather unfairly as I know it is.

You need to find a race seat, this will give you number boards & more importantly a lower seat that will vastly improve your feel on the bike. Tall seats make them feel dreadful & squidgy.

Ideally you want to get as low as poss.

Being familiar with the RG chassis I will also note the original footpegs are too far forward when you put low bars (ie they seem to be sit up & beg riding pos std), you can extend them back with a simple plate & hack off the pillion parts. If you want spare RG ones I have some I was thinking of chucking on TM.

Kendog
6th August 2008, 18:08
No pics from the rear. Good thing 'cause it looks unfinished, rather unfairly as I know it is.

You need to find a race seat, this will give you number boards & more importantly a lower seat that will vastly improve your feel on the bike. Tall seats make them feel dreadful & squidgy.

Ideally you want to get as low as poss.

Being familiar with the RG chassis I will also note the original footpegs are too far forward when you put low bars (ie they seem to be sit up & beg riding pos std), you can extend them back with a simple plate & hack off the pillion parts. If you want spare RG ones I have some I was thinking of chucking on TM.

Yep, the rear end is rather bare. Looking into something as we speak which should also replace and drop the seat height down.

Once the new seat position is sorted I will look into proper peg placement and removing the pillion extension.

If I destroy these pegs during the modification process I will be in touch, but should be ok. Cheers.

speedpro
6th August 2008, 22:25
Very very nice looking bike, well done. It's gonna be a shame to fall off it.

Kendog
1st September 2008, 17:34
2nd round done and we came out with no serious issues again :2thumbsup

This time I was feeling much better on the bike. I didn't think about the tyre sizes and concentrated on turning my head and riding round the corner. What a difference, last month I was being lapped by everyone in B grade, this month I was actually passing some people.
I am really enjoying the 4 stroke power out of corners, I just need to bring my corner speed up (focus for the next round). My starts were going well, both races I was in second place round the first corner.

I have a new tail and seat to go on before the next round, this should hopefully help the riding position. It will also result in a slightly different look and a new name....... 'watch this space'

Slingshot
1st September 2008, 18:21
Thanks for letting me ride it, was cool and felt really good. Love the way it feels going into corners and it pulled away nicely out of the corners.

You've got an excellent machine there! Nice one.

Trudes
1st September 2008, 18:49
You did awesome honey, was great to see you enjoying the bucket racing this time and the bike really is a joy to ride, you've done good!:niceone: Thanks for pushing Pammy back to the pits for me (with the company of our lovely Hels) and letting me ride your bike back for you... gotta do something about those vibes though eh, either that or fit a strap-on, I'm sure Hels will give you some tips about how this is done.:msn-wink:

Number One
1st September 2008, 19:36
Yay Nige!!! You were heaps faster this round - I don't like it :no:

Just kidding keep it up - we're getting some good fun racing going in that B grade! :sunny:

Skunk
1st September 2008, 19:39
You were looking more comfortable out there. Good going. The bike will be easier with a little more corner speed.

CM2005
10th November 2008, 11:43
didnt real the thread fully, but have you heard of the movie Silver dream racer??

gav
10th November 2008, 17:46
Looks like it has been tidied up in his signature, time for an update maybe? :soon:

SHELRACING
10th November 2008, 18:20
Bike looks real good. Well done guys. :2thumbsup

Fitting a pumper carb will give you more power off the line and out of the corners.
Get the cam done and get it ported, get some 17" wheels and slicks and you will be surprised at how well you will go.

Bren_chch
10th November 2008, 21:37
that bikes handles so well that i wouldnt bother fitting 17" rims with slicks. Those tyres you have on it will outperform the bike as it is now.

anyhow ya bike looks brilliant! how about a video of it in action? :Punk:

i'm looking at using an rg frame for my latest motofxr project... so ummmm, can i have it back now? :laugh:

gav
10th November 2008, 21:55
i'm looking at using an rg frame for my latest motofxr project...

You're what ?????? :gob:

Bren_chch
11th November 2008, 08:50
:niceone:

Kendog
14th November 2008, 21:11
Looks like it has been tidied up in his signature, time for an update maybe? :soon:

I am very slack at updates :dodge: but I will type something up soon.

Kendog
23rd December 2009, 19:50
i'm looking at using an rg frame for my latest motofxr project... so ummmm, can i have it back now? :laugh:
As you know, I am no longer using this frame. Still want it? :whistle:;)

F5 Dave
24th December 2009, 08:08
I am very slack at updates :dodge: but I will type something up soon.

14 Nov 2008:lol:

Trudes
24th December 2009, 09:46
You should try living with him!! It's like that ad where the wife gives her husband a round platter thing called a "roundtoit".

gav
25th December 2009, 08:48
Hahaha, happens to most in bucket racing, an upgrade involves buying an FXR, eventually .... :lol:

Buckets4Me
25th December 2009, 19:47
Hahaha, happens to most in bucket racing, an upgrade involves buying an FXR, eventually .... :lol:

hahahah NOT !!!!! :girlfight:

gav
26th December 2009, 19:26
give it time .... :yes:

Monkeynz
26th December 2009, 19:32

Yea I by-passed the upgrade and went straight to the FXR after telling myself I should buy something cheaper. Couldn't help myself. :woohoo: